Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Vengarr posted:

I've played half-a-dozen rounds as Engineer and still don't really understand how the TEG works.

Saw my first hellburn a second ago. Now I have even further questions.

Nobody knows. Nobody asks. It just does. Usually.

The funniest round I remember was when someone managed to kill a gravitational singularity by suplexing it to death with a wrestling belt.

Security charged him with murder and we held a trial. The star witness was... its son, a grieving sadularity. Unfortunately the trial had to be called off due to the sadularity absorbing most of the courtroom, causing the shuttle to be called.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Hellburn: if you mix exactly this ratio of plasma and oxygen, delete exactly these spots of flooring, fix exactly these broken pipes, and the RNG and/or Satan himself smiles upon you, the PTL suddenly has a use. (And you can cause people in Escape to spontaneously combust, which may be the actual feature of hellburning)

e. I've never hellburned myself, but I can get decent power out of char and inadvisable gas mixes in the hot loop. Two of plasma, one of oxygen, max pressure and kill the purge valve, and cackle madly seems to be my working recipe. But since I do it at the end of the round because power is failing and no one else has set up the engine, I have yet to discover if this will, in fact, burn down everything.

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 20, 2019

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

rndmnmbr posted:

Hellburn: if you mix exactly this ratio of plasma and oxygen, delete exactly these spots of flooring, fix exactly these broken pipes, and the RNG and/or Satan himself smiles upon you, the PTL suddenly has a use. (And you can cause people in Escape to spontaneously combust, which may be the actual feature of hellburning)

e. I've never hellburned myself, but I can get decent power out of char and inadvisable gas mixes in the hot loop. Two of plasma, one of oxygen, max pressure and kill the purge valve, and cackle madly seems to be my working recipe. But since I do it at the end of the round because power is failing and no one else has set up the engine, I have yet to discover if this will, in fact, burn down everything.

I can confirm that this will, in fact, burn down everything. It appears the superheated oxygen will expand, burst the pipes, and become as unto a dragon.

Source: I am currently on fire

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
top tip for the TEG: you want the smallest possible volume of gas in the hot side and the largest in the cold side. dump every plasma can you can find on the station into the cold loop. plasma is the best conductor of heat energy by a wide margin.

the reason for this is the energy efficiency goes up the closer the pressures are, the volume of gas on the cold loop will drop in pressure when chilled, the hot loop will rise when heated.

i usually run the engine safe with just a tiny drop of plasma in the hot loop and all the rest of it in the cold loop but you can throw some oxygen in the hot loop and start a fire in the pipes if you're a madman. you can keep it running safe if you use the vents and the extra ports to fill empty cans to keep the pressure under control but without constant maintenance it will eventually explode.

you can also get fancy with a rare gas available through telescience that catalyzes co2 into oxygen in high temperature environments and get some really absurd results.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Dieting Hippo posted:

I love the chemicompiler :allears: The best part is people passing by astounded that anyone is using it while I'm mass producing voltagen for shenanigans.

Someday, someday

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Oh just remembered a great round I had on Paradise (I know) a few months ago. Started as a normal Assistant with dreams of robustness, geared up with some hacking and engineering department neglect and started doing loops around the station exterior looking for trouble. Get to Xenobiology and it's just... Gone. Half the room is missing and the other half is on fire. Loot on my grubby little assistant mind I inspect some of the mangled bodies and find that one of them is actually still alive? Greed and do-goodery warred in my heart but in the end I dragged the unconscious scientist to medbay and they managed to fix her up. She gets up, thanks me, and tells me to follow her to telescience. Push a few buttons and she reappears holding an AI card. Turns out the AI was rogue the whole time and murdered her when she found out. Literally saved the station because I wanted space loot. In later rounds I actually ended up befriending her and would flash my ill gotten gains when I saw her at the bar (raiding the evidence room in a server full of try-hards and wannabe blue lives rocks). Best I ever got was a cryptographic sequencer. IMO being an assistant (especially on boring rounds/servers) is the most fun role.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
As the AI, how do you communicate on different radio frequencies like Security, etc.? Even directly copying the Say commands on the wiki didn’t work.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Spigot the changeling bear spotted boarding the escape shuttle

https://twitter.com/nurulshaz1nimds/status/1107092123600318464?s=19

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010

Vengarr posted:

As the AI, how do you communicate on different radio frequencies like Security, etc.? Even directly copying the Say commands on the wiki didn’t work.

The hotkey Y should let you pick which frequency to say something on

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Tibbeh posted:

The hotkey Y should let you pick which frequency to say something on

It does for normal players, but it doesn't work at all for the AI.

There's a "Toggle Internal Radio" command under the "AI Commands" tab, but I haven't gotten it to work. Best I can do is turn the general radio on/off, or the machine radio on/off. Sometimes you want to let Security know where the Changeling is without letting the Changeling know. Or hound Engineering about putting out the fire in the engine room without bothering the rest of the station.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Something needs to be done about people doing ingame chat in ooc, it's getting a real problem, particularly on server 1.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Report that poo poo and post pictures of the offenders on the discord so fury can rain down on them.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Isn't OOC normally disabled during rounds for exactly that reason?

Also I'd been thinking that it would be interesting to have a server where metagaming is totally allowed, for fun. Think of the crazy poo poo you could do with coordinated voice chat.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 21, 2019

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/dongstomper69/status/1108850099742883841

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

rndmnmbr posted:

It works for a little while, but it lacks staying power. The oxygen catches fire in the pipes and converts to CO2, which can hold a lot less heat than plasma and therefore generally gums up the works.

Engine fundamentals:

In theory, you want a massive temperature difference between the two loops, with roughly equal pressure. The generator will transfer some heat from the hot loop to the cold loop, producing power in the process. In practice, heating gas will increase the pressure, while cooling gas will lower it, and it's a lot easier to heat gas than it is to cool gas. This means that it's difficult to keep the loops balanced. Also, if the gas pressure in a pipe exceeds 15000 or so, the pipes will burst, spewing their contents into the atmosphere at a rapid (but not instant) pace.

In terms of gases, plasma is most responsive to temperature change and therefore generally the optimal choice for both loops, but it's toxic to breathe and is notoriously flammable when in the presence of oxygen. Note that a pure-plasma atmosphere won't catch fire, as the presence of oxygen is mandatory for flames in SS13.

Also, note that gases can catch fire while still in pipes, generally with a massive spike in both heat and pressure, so exercise extreme caution when using plasma and oxygen together. As I mentioned above, fires convert oxygen to CO2, so you need some way of disposing of that CO2 if you want a plasma/oxygen mix to stay spicy. That's why plasma/oxygen combustion chamber burns usually involve an open chamber vent and often an RCDed tile or two - you want to get rid of the old gas that's been burning for a bit, since it'll pollute your chamber with useless CO2.

The basic principle behind hellburns is that although pipe leaks rapidly deplete the gas pressure in a pipe, the gas loss is slow enough that a really hot combustion chamber can actually make the gas pressure rise faster than the pipes can deplete it, meaning that the leaks don't have enough impact to actually impede engine function. Similarly, jacking up the heat enough can compensate for the efficiency losses from pressure differentials, insufficient cooling, and so on. So a hellburner throws all the guidelines from the beginning of this guide out the window, and instead focuses entirely on two things: making the combustion chamber as hot as possible, and minimizing the engineering department damage that'll inevitably result when the combustion chamber is burning hotter than a small star.

Though there is a third choice for traitors: figuring out someplace interesting to put that high-pressure superheated doom gas. Fun fact: did you know that on Cogmap1, one of the hot loop purge pipes passes beneath the sauna and heats it via a radiator in the floor before venting to space right near the bar?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

This is amazing in every conceivable way.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Ok now I get why people are into doing hellburns, I mean I knew it involves breaking the laws of thermodynamics but I didn't know it involves literally breaking the concept of 3 dimensional space

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

So loving hot and dense it's capable of nuclear fusion.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

dylguy90 posted:

Ok now I get why people are into doing hellburns, I mean I knew it involves breaking the laws of thermodynamics but I didn't know it involves literally breaking the concept of 3 dimensional space

A proper hellburn has gas so rapidly expanding from increasing heat that it literally can't leak out from the completely shattered pipes fast enough to depressurize.

Or on the absolutely magical occasion where you break thermodynamics entirely and rollover to below absolute zero, you flood the station with infinitely pressurized burning cold vacuum.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

ChaseSP posted:

Can the next station please be space ITER

Also there would definitely need to be a way to get trapped inside the fusion chamber

S w a y z e fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Mar 21, 2019

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

85% of people don't start the engine as it is, and the station runs out of power because of it. I'm not sure making it even harder to do so is a good idea.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Actually getting the engine going isn't too hard. Getting enough power to use the PTL is hurting my brain, though. Can you even generate enough power to use it without a hellburn?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I always love engine chat, because I love talking about the crowning achievement of my engineer career, which was a perfectly blue-shifted combustion fire on the old Cogmaps. You can find my posts about it here.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Archenteron posted:

A proper hellburn has gas so rapidly expanding from increasing heat that it literally can't leak out from the completely shattered pipes fast enough to depressurize.

Or on the absolutely magical occasion where you break thermodynamics entirely and rollover to below absolute zero, you flood the station with infinitely pressurized burning cold vacuum.

I was a changeling on one of those magical rounds, it was great. They take no damage from cold or oxygen loss, so I just strolled around the station eating corpses off the floor and wondering why everyone else was suddenly keeling over.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

ChaseSP posted:

This makes me wish I knew how the poo poo the BYOND code system worked, because making a hellburn even more magical sounds like fun. Get it hot enough for fusion beyond iron to start (about 3 billion kelvin) whereupon it starts leaking new and exciting things, like uranium, rubidium, and good old elemental plutonium. If you manage to really just break physics completely, you make it hot enough that the primordial hell-soup births another universe, which expands and dies, flagging you as a murderer.

It also needs to change the displayed name/title ingame once you do it.

[Engineer Dave] [HE WHO IS I AM] [LIGHTBRINGER] [MURDERER] says: Oh poo poo, how did that happen?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Nobody knows how atmos works. It just is.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Isn't atmos the fundament of SS13, the bedrock on which all else is built?

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Yes and it's a broken mess.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

You know, I've been thinking pretty heavily about breaking out of my usual janitor/QM/miner roles, I might give real engineering a shot.

I've got QM down pat, it's just there is a lack of fun things to buy when you're richer than Croesus. I guess I should enable antag, so I can make Syndiemas a thing. (Attention traitors with an emag, join me in Cargo, help me buy a poo poo-ton of null_entry crates and deliver them to random places via belt hell, and Merry Syndiemas to all.)

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Luigi Thirty posted:

Nobody knows how atmos works. It just is.

Too bad, seems like you could have some fun with some conditionals based on temps.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

The atmos system is semi removed as I understand it because all then pipe and scrubber valve calculations , as well as the gas mixing calcs, lagged like poo poo

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
I think I'll stay away from the loafer from now on, I don't think it's good for the server,

My most recent setup is a pipe loop with 5 flusher inputs being fed by 10 thermal printers (that oddly contain infinite paper) with a sensor pipe triggering a cascade of flushes,
the sound of it was tremendous and dominating like the roar of a rocket engine,

the result of 30 min work 7 einstein rosen loaves, four or five stangelets

and too many other loaves to examine without crashing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You are a poor Loaf-maker if you did not feed them back into the loafer together :colbert:.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wish some admin would become a twitch streamer, I always wondered what game is like from admin perspective.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

Vengarr posted:

It does for normal players, but it doesn't work at all for the AI.

There's a "Toggle Internal Radio" command under the "AI Commands" tab, but I haven't gotten it to work. Best I can do is turn the general radio on/off, or the machine radio on/off. Sometimes you want to let Security know where the Changeling is without letting the Changeling know. Or hound Engineering about putting out the fire in the engine room without bothering the rest of the station.

For AI it's :3x, where x is the channel you want to talk on, so to say on only the sec channel that there's a changeling eating someone, it'd be ":3g hey there's a changeling eating someone". Effectively AI radio 3 is a headset with all the different department frequencies on it.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

soy posted:

I wish some admin would become a twitch streamer, I always wondered what game is like from admin perspective.

That would be so amazing

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Applesnots posted:

That would be so amazing

I volunteer pending my admin promotion

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

coldpudding posted:

the result of 30 min work 7 einstein rosen loaves, four or five stangelets

What

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Okay, so, you can compress just about anything you want into the extruded prison food known as loaf.

So you do that with loaf enough and it starts getting really compressed.

Then the fun starts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

can you feed a singularity into a loaf