Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

FCKGW posted:

I forgot that HDHomerun happens to have a subscription TV service too. Does anyone here happened to use it?
https://www.silicondust.com/premium-tv/

I did. It was ok until they got caught up in the Omniverse drama: https://variety.com/2019/biz/news/omniverse-lawsuit-dragon-box-streaming-crackdown-1203140742/

Omniverse being their upstream provider.

Quality and channel selection wasn't great, but on the pro side it worked well with Plex/Emby. Still, at the moment, I wouldn't use it. They are down 8 channels and counting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
PS Vue has multi-view on Apple TV now! Up to four channels at once it looks like. Not a big sports guy so I doubt I'll use it much, but nice to know it's there. I think the feature was limited to PS4s up til now.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
My first service after cutting the cord was PSVue when it was $29.99/mo and was the perfect service for us with local channels and the few networks that we typically watched. Since then every service has offered less while increasing the prices. At least we got a free AppleTV 4K by switching.

After this latest DTVN increase we are going with Philo and OTA/HDHomerun for locals. Paying more than $20 to $30 a month for live TV is just not worth it anymore.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I see that Philo supports TV Everywhere. Does that mean its channels are (can be) integrated into the TV app on an Apple TV?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I see that Philo supports TV Everywhere. Does that mean its channels are (can be) integrated into the TV app on an Apple TV?

TV Everywhere allows you to log in on apps provided by the channels. But I think viewing live would need to be done within the Philo app.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I didn't see a good thread to post this.

The place I work at has been on ADSL forever. I was pushing for them to go cable. Eventually the owners decided to make the swtich to Spectrum. Surveyors came out and said that it would cost 30k to hook up our front building, and 22k to hook up our rear building.

This confuses us as there was promo material being passed around as they were literally tearing up the streets around us, running fiber, all during new bridge construction on our corner. The kicker is that one of the neighboring buildings in the same business complex has Spectrum and from my understanding didn't have to pay such a fee. There are no dividing city lines between us and the other business. One of our buildings is right next door to the one that gets service and the other one is just a couple down, basically the other business that has service is almost book ended by our two buildings.

WHAT THE gently caress?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I didn't see a good thread to post this.

Agreed.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Whatever duuuude.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
The wife and I have finally decided to kick DirecTV to the curb, so tonight we sat down and made a list of channels that were "must haves" and "nice to haves" then plugged it into suppose.tv. (Thanks, Rastor!)

Right now it looks like YouTubeTV and Philo gives us pretty much everything we want, along with Prime (which we already have) and we might pick up Netflix as well. We'll be looking at a new smart TV this weekend, since our current TV is over 10 years old and is starting to die. We considered doing an antenna, but unfortunately we're rural to the extent that it's debatable if we'll even be able to pick up a signal - and if we could it would require a very high-end antenna. So for now, we decided to stick to services that would give us the "big 4" networks. (Behold the horror: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d90387667823306 )

Please let me know if I'm right or wrong on the following assumptions:

- If I'm reading everything correctly, any new smart TV that has Roku enabled on it can interface with both YouTube TV and Philo without any additional hardware requirements.

- It should also be able to stream Netflix, out of the box

- But Prime might require a Fire-Stick.

- A DVR component will either be built into the Smart TV, or integral to the service (a.k.a. saved on a server somewhere in the cloud and then streamed to us on demand.)

Is there anything I'm wrong on, or anything else I should know?

Weltlich fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 22, 2019

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
My Roku I bought over the summer can do Amazon, I'd assume a TV could too as long as Google didn't make it

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
I have the TCL Series 6 upstairs and an LG C8 OLED downstairs and while the LG is undeniably the best looking TV I've ever seen the TCL is far and away the best bang for the buck. It is a really nice TV overall and a fairly incredible one for what it costs.

And the built in Roku does support Prime, along with most other non-Apple stuff. Highly recommend it, unless you want to spring for the OLED. Anything in between I wouldn't bother with.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Ixian posted:

I have the TCL Series 6 upstairs and an LG C8 OLED downstairs and while the LG is undeniably the best looking TV I've ever seen the TCL is far and away the best bang for the buck. It is a really nice TV overall and a fairly incredible one for what it costs.

And the built in Roku does support Prime, along with most other non-Apple stuff. Highly recommend it, unless you want to spring for the OLED. Anything in between I wouldn't bother with.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

My Roku I bought over the summer can do Amazon, I'd assume a TV could too as long as Google didn't make it

Thanks! For the moment I'm steering away form Apple TV, so I'm not too worried about that. I've had a few people recommend the TCL to me.

What's the diff. between the series 4 and 6? We're also new to the 4K world.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I also literally have a TCL upstairs and a LG OLED downstairs, and agree that the TCL 6-Series is the best value you can get in terms of price/quality.

Weltlich posted:

Rtings is your friend, but just get the 6 series.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/tcl-s405-vs-tcl-r617/449/613

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
After canceling DTVN they sent me a promo code to get 6 more months of my current package for the current $40 price if I reactivate my account. Of course their lovely website has no place to actually enter the code unless you pick one of the new packages and then it is an invalid code. Jesus Christ AT&T sucks.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Weltlich posted:

Is there anything I'm wrong on, or anything else I should know?

Just canceled my DirecTV and sent the poo poo in about a month ago to move to exactly this.

The TCL 4ks are slick and the built in Roku works surprisingly well on YTV, Amazon, Netflix, HBO, etc.

Don't forget that if you still have AT&T Unlimited wireless they throw in the Watch ATT package and a free premium, which is an easy way to add HBO if you're already doing the unlimited thing.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Weltlich posted:

Thanks! For the moment I'm steering away form Apple TV, so I'm not too worried about that. I've had a few people recommend the TCL to me.

The short answer is the difference in picture quality due to the 6 supporting local dimming and having more dimming zones is worth the price difference. There are other reasons (the 6 has better build quality overall and such) but that's the big one.

Just get the 6. I used to have a Sony 900 series (I replaced that with the LG OLED) and frankly I think the 6 is better than it was, and that TV was over twice the cost.

If you're willing to spend between $2-3k+ USD on a TV then you should really only be looking at the LG B8 or C8. Otherwise save the cash and get the TCL 6 series for well under $1k (I think the 55'' is around $600 now, which is insane).

Edit: Worth noting again the built in Roku on the TCL is functionally a Roku Ultra and it works really well, it's one of the best "smart" TV integrations I have used. Sony has really wiffed how they handle Android TV and LG's WebOS while decent doesn't have as broad support for apps as the Roku does. And let's not even talk about the poo poo Samsung is doing on that front.

Ixian fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 22, 2019

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Thanks to everyone for the great advice. My wife and I were planning on heading out tomorrow to look at TV's but I'm pretty confident we can just order one at this point (The TCL series 6).

On the cord cutting front:

The past week Viacom has been plastering big "YOUR SATELLITE PROVIDER IS ABOUT TO LOSE ACCESS TO THIS CHANNEL" banners across shows running on their channels. Has this been happening on Philo as well, or is Comedy Central "safe" for the moment?

The plan is to still get Youtube TV and Philo for our networks, then use our Prime and possible subscribe to Netflix for movies/series viewing. Am I missing anything that could save us more money?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Weltlich posted:

Thanks to everyone for the great advice. My wife and I were planning on heading out tomorrow to look at TV's but I'm pretty confident we can just order one at this point (The TCL series 6).

On the cord cutting front:

The past week Viacom has been plastering big "YOUR SATELLITE PROVIDER IS ABOUT TO LOSE ACCESS TO THIS CHANNEL" banners across shows running on their channels. Has this been happening on Philo as well, or is Comedy Central "safe" for the moment?

The plan is to still get Youtube TV and Philo for our networks, then use our Prime and possible subscribe to Netflix for movies/series viewing. Am I missing anything that could save us more money?

Viacom is in a dispute with directv, it won’t affect Philo.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
It's done - we got the TV this morning (A TCL 55 r615), and once again thanks for the tips. We'd probably have gone with a Samsung otherwise just based on their glittery in-store displays.

The Roku setup for ytTV, Philo, Prime, etc was easy as pie, so that was nice too. I was told by the sales person at the store that I could download a roku remote for my iPad as well, so I thought I'd poll the thread on that.

1) Does it work well?
2) Which of the ~30 Roku apps on itunes should I get?

Thanks again guys, you saved us tons of heartache and strife by steering us straight.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Weltlich posted:

It's done - we got the TV this morning (A TCL 55 r615), and once again thanks for the tips. We'd probably have gone with a Samsung otherwise just based on their glittery in-store displays.

The Roku setup for ytTV, Philo, Prime, etc was easy as pie, so that was nice too. I was told by the sales person at the store that I could download a roku remote for my iPad as well, so I thought I'd poll the thread on that.

1) Does it work well?

Thanks again guys, you saved us tons of heartache and strife by steering us straight.

It works ok, though you'll probably be happier with the regular remote it comes with. If you didn't buy it from Best Buy then it's also wifi direct instead of infrared (for whatever reason the Best Buy models have IR remotes, are also a little cheaper).

Roku apps on...iTunes? Not sure what you mean. For the remote app you mean? Use the official Roku one.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
My mom is moving and doesn't want to pay for any kind of subscriptions. I suggested an antenna so she could have local channels and she liked that idea. Problem is when I went to TV Fool, the channel availability is Carly different than my house, despite being not that far away. This is the report:

She'll be on the 2nd floor of a condo, should I just buy her an antenna and see what it gets?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I can't see any scenario where you get to avoid it. You've got set it up to either see if that is enough or to have the evidence to promote a subscription of some kind.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

My mom is moving and doesn't want to pay for any kind of subscriptions. I suggested an antenna so she could have local channels and she liked that idea. Problem is when I went to TV Fool, the channel availability is Carly different than my house, despite being not that far away. This is the report:

She'll be on the 2nd floor of a condo, should I just buy her an antenna and see what it gets?

Does she have internet or no?

Roku TV + Antenna is the easiest setup I've found for the olds in my family

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Any good rumors of what Apples new service will bring to the field ?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

TraderStav posted:

Nothing. They don't have any more leverage than any of the other major OTT providers. An argument could be made that they have less, because absolutely no one in the video industry wants to see them dominate like iTunes does for music.

For what they are able to offer, I am sure it will look elegant and play really nicely with all their other Apple stuff. And also not data-mine you. Other than that, they are probably going to lean on their originals+exclusives just like everyone else (Netflix, Hulu, et all) does.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

TraderStav posted:

Prediction: nothing particularly exciting.

As someone who own/owned a ton of iPhones, Apple TVs, Macs etc over the last 10+ years. I think they tried to work a deal with the broadcasters and just couldn’t get anything better than anyone else, hence the ATV4/4K underwhelming release.

Just gotta get uses to accepting that all services are always gonna suck a bit/totally.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Must only be a thing in Canada with Scrooge Mcduck Bell that you can still have tv and have a channel in SD but not HD. House sitting for someone now who has fibre, great internet, but only has standard def tv. Why are those channels even an option anymore?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Weltlich posted:

1) Does it work well?

The official Roku app also allows you to use headphones with your TV, I use that feature quite a bit

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I'm curious. I just downgraded to internet only with Comcast. I wonder what they charge in different areas for the same service. I am now paying $69.98/month for 150mbps down. Anyone?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

That's my price for 400mb down but it's around 500 now that they were laying a bunch of cable last month in neighborhood and city. I believe it was only 150 down a few years ago

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Croatoan posted:

I'm curious. I just downgraded to internet only with Comcast. I wonder what they charge in different areas for the same service. I am now paying $69.98/month for 150mbps down. Anyone?

I did this a couple of years ago, and I think it ended up being around $80 (after all the fees) a month for just 250mbps down.

Also I went back to Comcast TV in November (I think) due to going over my data cap, and guess what? I realized I watch very few things that are not streaming, and also that I am still hitting the data cap.

Here are my last 4 months with Comcast.

March is so bad that I had to final pay the $50 extra a month for unlimited due to it was going to be a whole lot more if I didn't (there is still a week left in March). Now my household size is 4.5 (my oldest is around on weekends), and I am making my teenagers pay the $50 extra a month.

I am just venting cause I am over it. The only other choice I have is WOW, but I tried them for a month and it was nightmare (dropping all the time). I plan to cancel Comcast TV again in November, and just live with my teenagers paying the unlimited fee.

The lesson from this is never ever go back to Comcast for TV. I had to learn the hard way.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm so glad RCN has no cap. I pay $100 for gigabit down, and it routinely exceeds that when I check.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Honestly it so weird going back to cable TV after just streaming for a few years. Within a month I knew I made a big mistake, because cable TV felt so archaic. I just don't watch TV that way anymore (outside of Sports). Also I have even realized I don't need a live streaming service like Direct, VUE, or Sling. There is just so much content out there without them.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Paying $7 a month (my share) for 100/100 fiber at my condo. Paying $65 for 500/50 from WOW for my parents place in the burbs. No data caps on either :cool:

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Paying an extra $50 for unlimited data on Comcast seems insane, and makes me worried about switching to all streaming services in my home. It would be cheaper to just get Satellite or Cable.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Astro7x posted:

Paying an extra $50 for unlimited data on Comcast seems insane, and makes me worried about switching to all streaming services in my home. It would be cheaper to just get Satellite or Cable.

It depends on how big your household is. Most kids growing up now a days only stream their content (my kids have zero interest in cable, outside of using it to signin the HBO app). I currently have 3 AppleTVs, FireTV, 3 PS4s, XB1, 7 Alexa devices (I do play a lot of music on multiple devices at the same time), iPad, Mac-book, 2 Windows laptops, and 4 iPhones (and God knows what else I am forgetting) connected at most times. So my usage is extreme.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 25, 2019

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I just use a lot of data each month for torrenting and stuff like that. I regularly approach 1TB with my whole family using DirecTV.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Weltlich posted:

1) Does it work well?

If you have an Xbox One X you are about to get even happier with it - TCL just released their new update (well, it's been rolling out for a few days). Roku OS 9 (same as the standalone) and finally fixed Dolby Vision support for the Xbox One (4k models, so S and X) and as a surprise added ALLM (auto low latency) support, so it'll automatically switch to the low latency "game mode" when playing games and switch back when done. Game Mode tends to not look great with videos/etc.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s always important to remember that Comcast give you two overages in a rolling 12 month period, I usually space them out around every 6 months or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Etown
Mar 4, 2003

Croatoan posted:

Same here, Comcast internet only. With tmobile for cell.

Payment Amount:
$84.69/mo
PING ms
DOWNLOAD Mbps

Don't advocate paying for a service to watch commercials. (direcTV, etc)
Firestick/kodi/bittorrent/vpn house here.
Though going T-mobile hotspot may work. Always looking to pay the least. Thanks for that info Eschat0n...

Eschat0n posted:

I can write it out here. Fundamentally, it boils down to this:

In 2016, I was paying ~87/mo for 25mbps d/5mbps u from Comcast, + ~17/mo Netflix, + ~90/mo for Tmobile (2 lines). This was about ~180-190/mo all told. Meanwhile, Ookla Speedtest.com results on my phone were compelling; I was getting ~30d/10u, and latency was roughly equivalent for gaming purposes!

I resolved to try using T-Mobile as my primary ISP.

This was not a trivial fix for me since I am a moderate user of data and I was hosting my own WordPress website from my basement; it quickly became apparent T-Mobile was not going to be providing me with an external address, even if I registered my lines as a business.

Furthermore, while T-Mobile advertised unlimited 4G data for phone use, their mobile hotspot plans had no such promise. Tethering would also throttle after a short period, unless you added a 25/mo Unlimited International addon to your phone plan. Could this really work for me?

The answer turned out to be a painful (but worthwhile) yes. In order to bring my plan to fruition, I needed the following equipment:

1 spare 4g-capable GSM phone with tethering enabled in its Android OS. I used an Alcatel IDOL 3 that I had rooted some time past; root turned out to be unecessary because nothing against ToS was done.

1 spare computer to use as my OpenWRT x86 router; I ended up opting for a little A4-5000-based board I'd pulled some time ago as a decent nigh-fanless solution; it's hugely overpowered for the job and an EspressoBin would probably be a better fit, or any OpenWRT-capable router with a decent USB port and hub.

1 standard micro USB cable - far superior tethering capability compared to wireless tethering in terms of throughput, reliability, and ease of use.

1 subscription to AirVPN (only needed if you must have an external address) - AirVPN, like many other VPNs, offers reverse port forwarding at the addresses of their exit points. These can then function as your external IP, providing you with a means to host websites, game servers, SSH access, etc - without getting an external IP from T-Mobile. An annual sub cost me ~60 USD. IT DOES NOT SERVE AS MY PRIMARY CONNECTION.

1 switch/router (optional) - this would provide the LAN and wireless capability needed for my internal network since the computer I chose for OpenWRT didn't have but 1 ethernet port (and no PCI/PCI-E extensibility). I opted for a Mikrotik hAP ac2 (https://mikrotik.com/product/hap_ac2) because it also advertised the ability to use its USB port as the WAN connection, so it felt like a good professional backup solution if my OpenWRT venture proved unworkable; if you're uncomfortable with OpenWRT but familiar with the Mikrotik RouterOS or just want a nice optimized little box that does it all, this might be a very good solution for you.

1 efficient computer with a decent-sized SSD and 2x gigabit ethernet (optional) - this was used to create an IPFire transparent caching firewall (utilizing the Squid caching proxy). This really isn't necessary, but if you're concerned about overwhelming the T-Mobile "unlimited" connection, HTTP and OS Update CDN caching can be done very easily with this linux distribution and it will cut down to some extent (by my measure about 10% on your network utilization).

1 efficient computer or VM/docker image running PiHole (optional) - this was used to run a network-wide DNS-based adblocker. DNS-based adblockers also cut down on network traffic, so this felt like a no-brainer as long as I was worried about angering the T-Mobile bandwidth throttling gods. This turned out not to be necessary, but I keep it in use because why not?

The basic agreement with T-Mobile goes something like this:

3 phone plans on their family plan for ~140/mo, + Unlimited International on the third plan for 25/mo. This last line will be on the extra phone and it will act as my house's modem. As an added benefit, the family plan included a Netflix subscription. By going into my T-Mobile account and specifically disabling their "HD video" feature under "Media Settings," I was able to remove throttling of HD video and sound on my connection and get a good HD Netflix experience.

You install some USB-related packages so OpenWRT can work with the USB ports, then connect your phone to the port using the cable and tether it. In the OpenWRT LUCI web interface, configure your WAN bridge to use the tun0 connection (that's your tether), and do DHCP on the ethernet port. Then connect a switch or commercial router to the ethernet and make sure it's acting as a DHCP client on the port you connect with, and a DHCP server (or in the case of a switch, DHCP "passthrough") on all its other ports and wifi.

On the phone, I simply installed a few apps I thought would help me treat the phone more like a modem, set most of its power-related settings to the most efficient, plugged it into my wall, and then plugged the USB cable into the router and initiated tethering.

Install an OpenVPN client on servers you want to have external access to and set up the port forwarding rules using the VPN's interface. Generate the VPN connection stuff and get that connection working.

I won't go into the vagaries of configuring IPFire transparent caching or the PiHole thing, as those aren't really necessary for this to work.

At the end of the day, I serve about ~10 devices in my home with HD video streams, gaming, and file downloading that reaches about ~600gb per month (far over the T-Mobile 50gb/mo throttle "warning" they put into the contract to scare away abusers). Performance typically reaches ~80d/30u after a recent tower upgrade went through; it was about 40d/15u prior. Latency is almost always sub 10ms; I can easily play Battlefield 1 and other such games over this connection while simultaneously streaming to Twitch and having my wife watch Netflix in the next room. Total cost to me ends up being a little less than Comcast for much more performance than what they had been offering me.

Let me know if you have any questions. My vested interest in this is a personal crusade against Comcast.