Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
just to clarify, it's the xp to your next level you lose when you die, right? not total xp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elerion
May 31, 2011

Floor is lava posted:

Well, if it works for you three specifically then there is no problem.

I'll just hang out in this 35 pages of steam community posts with all of the other people who are clearly wrong.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/814380/discussions/search/?q=controller&gidforum=1736588252387284340&include_deleted=1

6/10 of the first page of posts has no relation to controller issues at all. And lol if you think 150 posts mentioning the word “controller” in the steam support forum means the game has a major problem, when there’s literally 100k players playing the game on Steam just this moment.

Fix your poo poo.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I never parried in DS and rarely in BB but it's super easy in this, literally just tap the button before you're gonna get hit

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ymgve posted:

Not sure which one you refer to here, might be one I've missed. Here's those I've found:
I haven't met any horse boss so I guess I'm just not far enough in the game yet?

currently struggling with the bell memory thing. You take so god drat much damage in this game, like simple pushes or kicks with zero windup deal half your HP. The kind of "attack" that in the Souls games just pushed you back.

I'm extremely bad at this game, it's hard to read what your opponent is going to do, how many times they're going to do it and which one of your several options you should use

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Idk about this dodge not having iframes business I just beat a mini boss that appeared in the trailer on my first go by dodging through his attacks. It works fine.

They work more like an action game than a sluggish souls dodge though. Bloodborne timing is nearly right to just pass through attacks.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Your Computer posted:

I haven't met any horse boss so I guess I'm just not far enough in the game yet?

currently struggling with the bell memory thing. You take so god drat much damage in this game, like simple pushes or kicks with zero windup deal half your HP. The kind of "attack" that in the Souls games just pushed you back.

I'm extremely bad at this game, it's hard to read what your opponent is going to do, how many times they're going to do it and which one of your several options you should use

beware of chicken therefore try fire

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
Lol at all the posters ITT complaining about day one PC-port glitches in tyool 2019.

Like 95% of AAA Games are not made for PC anymore, unfortunately. They are created and optimized specifically for use with consoles and ALWAYS have buggy port issues that require patching because they were created to run smoothly on the console hardware not your awesome custom PC.

Can't wait to get home from work and start this game up.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea I'm pretty sure there is a way to get a fire tool to use against the chained up ogre but I hadn't found it and it was 3am so I just kept fighting him over and over until I finally beat him just with regular sword attacks.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Victory Position posted:

beware of chicken therefore try fire
I'm currently bashing my head into this purple shinobi and I think I just don't understand parts of the combat yet - I'm trying to just parry/dodge to get a feel for the moves but sometimes parrying works and other times it doesn't and I can't figure out what's going on yet

like I think some moves, even if you parry them, put you in a sort of "knocked down" state? and it trips me up every time, which is bad because he two-shots me

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Your Computer posted:

You can just leave the bell memory. Actually I don't think you can even finish it in one go.

My advice is to get the axe and flamethrower upgrade in that memory place, and continue the path in the Ashina castle until you have more healing and power.

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

I haven't been following this game at all but Bloodborne is my all time favorite. Is there any similar cosmic horror theme in Sekiro or is it pretty straight ninja action?

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Can anyone answer my question about primary weapons? Is it just the sword or can you swap between different types like in other souls games?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Just the sword, probably

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

a new study bible! posted:

Can anyone answer my question about primary weapons? Is it just the sword or can you swap between different types like in other souls games?

It's just the sword. Your arm has various tools you can attach to it but the primary weapon is always the sword.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

I'm pretty bad at this partly because I've always been terrible at parries in the souls games

I've always been bad at it because I neglected it, and I neglected it because it was rarely worth the risk when dodging and countering was so much safer and effective (with BB being the exception, I'll parry all day of I can do it with some range). Dodging seems really bad in this game though so I guess parrying is safer by virtue of having no other options.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

slow_twitch posted:

I haven't been following this game at all but Bloodborne is my all time favorite. Is there any similar cosmic horror theme in Sekiro or is it pretty straight ninja action?

Apparently there's a twist but yeah it's just Japanese Shinobi poo poo, which I don't like all that much. Gameplay owns and it looks great though. The structure of the game is also really impressive so far. It plays very differently to Bloodborne, but any hunt in a storm is a hunt a hunter must hunt.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Thanks guys!

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

I may have drank too much in celebration and thus gotten mad at 2am

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I made it to the horse rider boss at like 3:30am and was like nope my brain cannot handle this fight tonight gotta go to sleep.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
It would be cool if i could take more than 2 hits from a boss imo

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I think I fought the 2nd boss first because it was really hard and then the next boss fight was an absolute joke.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Oh I could not get my PS4 controller working for the life of me, but this finally fixed it.

-Restart computer
-Download x360ce and install *into the sekiro folder*
-set up the controller for Sekiro in the program, making sure to select the 'COM' checkbox at the top of the options
- start Sekiro using the 'start' button in x360ce, don't close the program first like it tells you to.

that did it.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I got tired like an old man last night and only dipped my toe in to the beginning. Climbed out of the well and I'm near the tower where I guess the prince dude is. Did anybody get that item right where you start? If you go in the water, there's an item on the scaffolding up there. Can you get it right there or do you come back to it? It's a Zweihander isn't it?

Any camera or controller preferable settings I should know about before I have to start killing dudes? I'm playing on PC with a wired XBox 360 controller.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Deified Data posted:

I've always been bad at it because I neglected it, and I neglected it because it was rarely worth the risk when dodging and countering was so much safer and effective (with BB being the exception, I'll parry all day of I can do it with some range). Dodging seems really bad in this game though so I guess parrying is safer by virtue of having no other options.

The thing is though, you need to do both. Some of the bosses require being close and parrying like a motherfucker, some other bosses require you to dodge actively, some require being at a distance...

It's not easy!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

sprinting to bosses is a lot harder when they surround the boss with a bunch of enemies

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The difficulty is one thing but it does feel kinda unfair that enemies somehow can kill me in 2-3 hits yet they can soak like, half a dozen and still carry on.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Electronico6 posted:

You can just leave the bell memory. Actually I don't think you can even finish it in one go.

My advice is to get the axe and flamethrower upgrade in that memory place, and continue the path in the Ashina castle until you have more healing and power.
I already got those, yeah. I wanted to deal with the side area before continuing but if you can't even finish it I guess I'll give up :saddowns:

as soon as I went back I found another merchant too, the thief I met earlier in the memory!

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

JBP posted:

Idk about this dodge not having iframes business I just beat a mini boss that appeared in the trailer on my first go by dodging through his attacks. It works fine.

They work more like an action game than a sluggish souls dodge though. Bloodborne timing is nearly right to just pass through attacks.

Yeah there are some iframes, I dodged through an arrow instinctively and was surprised that it worked. Feels like less than base Dark Souls 2 though.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I beat the first miniboss in a couple of tries. I'm sitting at work wondering how much harder this poo poo gets. People having a ton of trouble, how did you do on that first dude?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Your Computer posted:

I already got those, yeah. I wanted to deal with the side area before continuing but if you can't even finish it I guess I'll give up :saddowns:

as soon as I went back I found another merchant too, the thief I met earlier in the memory!

gently caress I killed him lol

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gnumonic posted:

Yeah there are some iframes, I dodged through an arrow instinctively and was surprised that it worked. Feels like less than base Dark Souls 2 though.
what? I've dodged through a bunch of stuff, it doesn't feel any stricter than say, Bloodborne

goferchan posted:

gently caress I killed him lol
:rip:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Broke through the classic first difficulty wall of soulsborne and now I'm having fun again. Owned spear guy and ogre mjnibosses (after like 30 deaths last night) and managed to one-shot the first actual boss.

Then got killed by a hat munchkin and later an angry cow.

Game good

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I need with drop assassinations. The game isn't giving me red indicators so I think I borked something.

Also runs decent on my pc. One issue though is when you shuffle into a new area I get a fps dip for a few.seconds while the game loads.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Do I get the.option to use a big 2h weapon like in souls games?

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Broke through the classic first difficulty wall of soulsborne and now I'm having fun again. Owned spear guy and ogre mjnibosses (after like 30 deaths last night) and managed to one-shot the first actual boss.

Then got killed by a hat munchkin and later an angry cow.

Game good

That cow is an absolute dickhead and harder than the Big Boss right before him.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Me: Man I'm so good at this game

NPC: *coughs

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

slow_twitch posted:

Not sure anyone knows for sure yet but

Early lore spoilers:You cant die because of a mysterious infection due to "dragonblood" that spreads to mortals and makes them diseased
So there is still room for those kinds of shenanigans imo

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

I probably shouldn't have attempt to (repeatedly) take on Lady Butterfly as the first boss.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Jose posted:

Do I get the.option to use a big 2h weapon like in souls games?

Nope. You get a sword. That's it.

I really wish this game was clearly as to what's parryable and what isn't. Dying to something I couldn't parry but also didn't show the red mark feels kinda futile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I mean, the obvious potential twist is that Dragonrot is somehow tied to the disease from Bloodborne or paleblood or w/e

I don't even necessarily want it to be, but it would be p wild/funny if this was Bloodborne 2