Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Glenn Quebec posted:

I would have gladly watched movies about engineers doing crazy sci-fi poo poo with aliens as a tertiary thing. What I don't want to watch is Michael fassbender looking like a rentboy playing a recorder to himself with heavy sexual undertones.

I've said it before but the movie would have been better if Prometheus ended without the Chaplin or whatever xenomorph showing up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Was he term xenomorph ever formally adopted in canon? I always figured it was technical government speak for "alien lifeform". Alien just sounds more menacing

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Lil Peeler posted:

Was he term xenomorph ever formally adopted in canon? I always figured it was technical government speak for "alien lifeform". Alien just sounds more menacing

Never in the films.

I think the only time it's name-checked is when Gorman drops it as a two-bit college word in a misguided attempt to impress the troops. But he's using it as a synonym for "alien," not a specific descriptor for a specific category of creature.

It's all the comics and video games and other sundry tie-in material that have run with that one offhanded utterance like scissors.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

One of the books (actually it might be Cold Forge) makes a point of having a character say something along the lines of "Technically it's 'xenomorph 2112B' since any creature not from Earth is considered a xenomorph"

e: Here's an article about it, because of course there is

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/aliens-throwaway-line-confusion

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 22, 2019

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Owlbear Camus posted:

It's all the comics and video games and other sundry tie-in material that have run with that one offhanded utterance like scissors.

Fans can't get anything fuking right

Except for the poster "xenomorph", he's cool

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It's handy for the fans to be able to have a name for "the alien from Alien" because you sound like a dipshit saying "the alien from Alien"

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

purple death ray posted:

It's handy for the fans to be able to have a name for "the alien from Alien" because you sound like a dipshit saying "the alien from Alien"

Actually I find it a bomb-rear end excuse to rack the word "titular" into the chamber and send it downrange.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
The eponymous Alien

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Referring to them as the xenomorphs is exactly as right or wrong as calling st bernards the terran mammals.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Splicer posted:

Referring to them as the xenomorphs is exactly as right or wrong as calling st bernards the terran mammals.

St. Bernards have booze though

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Owlbear Camus posted:

Never in the films.

I think the only time it's name-checked is when Gorman drops it as a two-bit college word in a misguided attempt to impress the troops. But he's using it as a synonym for "alien," not a specific descriptor for a specific category of creature.

Never in the films themselves, but the filmmakers have used the word a lot when making the movies, Ridley Scott has used it in interviews, and it shows up in the movie credits in Alien Covenant.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

evobatman posted:

If I recall correctly, James Cameron sent all the space marine actors to two weeks of boot camp together, so that they would build up the camaraderie and friendships and bond together.

Except for the guy who played Gorman who didn't get to come, so that he would be seen as an outsider just like in the movie.

They did the same trick in Saving Private Ryan, all the main cast had to go through a grueling boot camp experience except for Matt Damon character.

This was to make the cast have resentment towards similar to how their characters were upset on being sent on suicide/needle in a haystack mission.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

etalian posted:

They did the same trick in Saving Private Ryan, all the main cast had to go through a grueling boot camp experience except for Matt Damon character.

This was to make the cast have resentment towards similar to how their characters were upset on being sent on suicide/needle in a haystack mission.

It's fairly common directorial trick. For a controversial take, on School Daze, Spike Lee had separated out the lighter-skinned "wannabees" and put them in a better hotel than the darker-skinned "jigaboos" to add tension between the actors. Supposedly, he copied that from what happened on the making of Animal House.

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
I was watching Alien Ressurection in the theater and the film burned up right as the grenade exploded in the escape pod. It was a beautiful effect.

Also sold my Colonial Marines Technical Manual for nearly $200. :hellyeah:

Sadly I only like the series in the “no matter what you do this thing will kill you, eat you, or rape you” sense.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Bobcats posted:

Also sold my Colonial Marines Technical Manual for nearly $200. :hellyeah:

Yeah that thing was a collector's item for a bit in the early-mid aughties. I had one for doing tabletop RPG crap as a sourcebook and flipped a few that I found in used bookstores.

Now you can order it next day off amazon for sixteen bucks lol.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Here's an effort post on how the Marines should have handled the Hadley's Hope thing:

Motherfucking air power.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Julius CSAR posted:

Here's an effort post on how the Marines should have handled the Hadley's Hope thing:

Motherfucking air power.

It's pretty drat hilarious for any science fiction setting with faster than light travel like Titanfall to still have squishy infantrymen.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
But then we wouldn't have scenes like in Starship Troopers where hundreds of thousands die in an hour. :shrug:

I like the space people in charge making horrible decisions.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LNnOTngoF0

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah but that's after they sent the troopers in to die horribly unnecessary deaths which they learned from and then took a reasonable island hopping approach.

BULLETKISS
Jul 3, 2003

Watching Aliens right now!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

BULLETKISS posted:

Watching Aliens right now!

:hai:

BULLETKISS
Jul 3, 2003

Apone just woke from hyper-sleep and automatically put a cigar in his mouth! Another glorious day in the corps!!

I'm so happy right now.

BULLETKISS fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 23, 2019

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.
Apone's "Be my guest.” cigar chew has always blown my mind. I just don't know what is going on there.

BULLETKISS
Jul 3, 2003

Another reason why Gorman is incompetent - the squad checks 6 rooms out of a huge colony and he claims it "secured". Uhhh.....

"Yeah man, but it's a dry heat."

BULLETKISS fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 23, 2019

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

BULLETKISS posted:

Apone just woke from hyper-sleep and automatically put a cigar in his mouth! Another glorious day in the corps!!

I'm so happy right now.

Every meal's a banquet! Every rewatch a treasure!

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Copper Vein posted:

Apone's "Be my guest.” cigar chew has always blown my mind. I just don't know what is going on there.

I loving crack up at this every time. Al Matthews -- a real loving deal marine -- was a loving hoot in this movie as Apone. "Whaddya want me to do, fetch your slippers for you?"

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Julius CSAR posted:

Motherfucking air power.

How though? They had to investigate to potentially rescue noncombatants in a cramped indoor complex that was sensitive even to small arms fire.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Owlbear Camus posted:

How though? They had to investigate to potentially rescue noncombatants in a cramped indoor complex that was sensitive even to small arms fire.

They could tell the place was deserted and beat up on their pass before the LZ. If Gorman had listened to Ripley they could have dropped the big one early. Also just lol if you think the USCM or Weyland-Yuntani give a gently caress about some colonists. Let’s be real here.

Although I can see The Company being upset about losing the atmosphere processor. Maybe just a nice neutron bomb to do the trick.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Technically they had air power. The UD-4L dropship - while not being the gunship variant - carries substantial firepower. The problem is it’s difficult to apply in a situation where your enemy is buried deep in a facility you are trying to protect, and that the dropship itself is lost early into the mission.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Dudes.

I saw a chick today with a large Alien tattoo on her ... right shoulder/bicep.

Nice tattoo. The alien from from Aliens. (Maybe it was a cover-up?)

It looked like it was fading and the colours (colors) were being broken down by the harsh UV rays we get here. I think you're supposed to wear sunscreen to protect the tattoo.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Julius CSAR posted:

. Also just lol if you think the USCM or Weyland-Yuntani give a gently caress about some colonists. Let’s be real here.

They clearly liked newt, and tried to help the cocooned woman.

Iron Crowned posted:

St. Bernards have booze though

The dog in the famous painting got killed and eaten by people it rescued. Boned.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

Technically they had air power. The UD-4L dropship - while not being the gunship variant - carries substantial firepower. The problem is it’s difficult to apply in a situation where your enemy is buried deep in a facility you are trying to protect, and that the dropship itself is lost early into the mission.

If we are looking for plot holes, then why not just field an entire battalion of Bishops? Arm them with the same fire power the marines had, and send them in to do reconnaissance work. The units seem pretty sturdy considering one was ripped in half, then in a plane crash. Yet it could still be powered on, and presumably repaired if the proper parts were available.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Smiling Mandrill posted:

If we are looking for plot holes, then why not just field an entire battalion of Bishops? Arm them with the same fire power the marines had, and send them in to do reconnaissance work. The units seem pretty sturdy considering one was ripped in half, then in a plane crash. Yet it could still be powered on, and presumably repaired if the proper parts were available.

Not in the budget.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Copper Vein posted:

You know the character is going to own after the wake-up scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woB1zvaSXag

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Copper Vein posted:

It's the macho version of tying a cherry stem with your tongue

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

etalian posted:

This kind of thing always reminds me of Laurence Olivier's response to Dustin Hoffman staying awake for 72 hours prior to filming a scene in Marathon Man: "My dear boy, why don't you just try acting?"

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sunswipe posted:

This kind of thing always reminds me of Laurence Olivier's response to Dustin Hoffman staying awake for 72 hours prior to filming a scene in Marathon Man: "My dear boy, why don't you just try acting?"

lol it's hilarious how people go overboard physically in method acting like how Christian Bale went from The Machinist to the Batman movies

Also this owns

https://twitter.com/oh_pollo/status/1109375825089040385

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srDVrEwPdg4

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

That fukkin shreds. My hs did little shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

purple death ray posted:

It's the macho version of tying a cherry stem with your tongue

It's this. Bear with me folks: Roll your tongue all the way to one side of your mouth behind your bottom teeth and then keep going until your tongue flips upside down. Catch the stoogie on the underside of your tongue and roll it back all the way in the opposite direction until it is upside down on that side and your smoke is in the opposite corner of your mouth. Also handy to move dip from one cheek to another without getting it stuck between the teeth. Yummy.

e: Why, yes, I have practiced this in front of a mirror. Why do you ask?