Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The other feasible headcanon is that Flanders went religion-crazy to cope with Maude's death.

He actually has two dead ex-wives at this point. He married Edna Krabappel, who died off-screen as a result of her voice actor's death in 2013. I don't know exactly how that timeline lines up with Ned's turn towards hostile fundamentalism, but two dead ex-wives (especially when it's implied both deaths were caused by Homer) would probably explain him going off the deep end.

For the record, while Ned and Edna getting married sounds like a really awful 'they've run out of ideas' plot, they actually stuck with it and apparently it's considered one of the better ideas of late-stage Simpsons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Ned was pretty hard core into religion before Maude died. There's even a swerve after he's already swerved hard into it, like at first he's The Perfect Neighbor, which includes being the perfect Christian, but he has beer on tap and a pool table in his apartment. Then he's the square who's way too into religion and won't let his kids do anything fun because it's "worldly", and then by the end of the 90s he's like a full on anti vax, fox news cultist as the religious stuff gets conflated with hard right politics. This is also sort of the process Lisa goes through, from literally praying for her families souls in the cable theft episode, to merely having a spiritual/philosophical side ("I don't know what God is, but he's a force more powerful than mom and dad put together and you owe him big time), to finally being a completely humorless reddit atheist. Despite the controversy over how sinful the show was the early seasons of the Simpsons are really packed with traditional values and morals. It's honestly kind of bizarre

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

purple death ray posted:

This is also sort of the process Lisa goes through, from literally praying for her families souls in the cable theft episode, to merely having a spiritual/philosophical side ("I don't know what God is, but he's a force more powerful than mom and dad put together and you owe him big time), to finally being a completely humorless reddit atheist.

When did they do that? She was a Buddhist last time I watched the show, admittedly a long time ago.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
who is bart's teacher now that krabappel is dead?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

The celebrity guest star du jour

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

OutOfPrint posted:

This right here. My wife put P&R on as her background noise show, and nowadays it carries that undercurrent of "If we leave things alone and not worry too much it'll all work out" that looks downright quaint these days. Plus the whole multiple sexpests thing.

That...I... what?

Leslie's whole character is that things need to change and she is willing to put the hard work despite an apathetic public and staff to make change.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Mooseontheloose posted:

That...I... what?

Leslie's whole character is that things need to change and she is willing to put the hard work despite an apathetic public and staff to make change.

At least this one is admitting it was background noise?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

bitterandtwisted posted:

When did they do that? She was a Buddhist last time I watched the show, admittedly a long time ago.

Yeah, she's a buddhist. As far as I know she's never been an atheist.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

Yeah, she's a buddhist. As far as I know she's never been an atheist.

Are those mutually exclusive?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

bitterandtwisted posted:

I actually think the buddhism is even newer than her atheist turn because it's probably been even longer since I watched. Guess I shouldnt have used the word 'finally'. It's not like being religious has really been a big part of Lisa's personality but it's kind of like the anti-vax thing just getting lumped in with Flanders being a Christian despite no real correlation between them, there's cultural trappings to Lisa being the smart/creative one, like being a preachy vegetarian, and that stereotype is also more likely to question the church and dabble in 'weird' things like meditation and other religions

e: I mean like, far as I know they never have lisa declaring there is no God or whatever, but she does get used as a strawman in science vs. religion feuds for sure

purple death ray has a new favorite as of 14:52 on Mar 23, 2019

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

I guess not necessarily, but when someone says "reddit atheist" I don't think belief in stuff like karma and reincarnation is typically implied.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Lisa is at least nominally Buddhist but it's very rarely mentioned or shown.

Funny thing is the Simpsons are technically a multifaith family if you count the episode where Homer and Bart become Catholic while Marge remains Protestant. Though they all attend the same church out of convenience. (the funny thing is that Reverend Lovejoy was originally deliberately vague and ambiguous about what kind of Church he runs, he has a Catholic priest's collar thingy but Reverend is a Protestant title)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Funny thing is the Simpsons are technically a multifaith family if you count the episode where Homer and Bart become Catholic while Marge remains Protestant. Though they all attend the same church out of convenience. (the funny thing is that Reverend Lovejoy was originally deliberately vague and ambiguous about what kind of Church he runs, he has a Catholic priest's collar thingy but Reverend is a Protestant title)

Is it not the case in the US that Episcopalian priests wear dogcollars? They do here.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I thought she was a Smuggist?

Because, no matter where she goes, she's always the smuggest person in the room.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Parks and Rec was a fun show but I couldnt rewatch it. Also its the first show where I felt like the main character was the least funny character on the show.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

It was celebrity guest voice actors for a while. It's now Ned Flanders.

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

Lisa taught Bart about Zen in the mini-golf episode, and then about ten years later they did an episode where she learns about Zen for the first time. I hope somebody got fired for that blunder!

Content:
I just saw "Tomorrow Is Yesterday" from the original Star Trek for the first time. At one point Kirk walks past a room-sized 1960s computer and jokes about how ancient it is. But the part that really didn't age well was where they explain the computer voice. You see, it was installed by a planet of :females: and that's why the voice keeps flirting with Kirk, because they had to give it a female personality... "Tomorrow is Yesterday" indeed.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

HopperUK posted:

Is it not the case in the US that Episcopalian priests wear dogcollars? They do here.
They do indeed.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Parks and Rec was a fun show but I couldnt rewatch it. Also its the first show where I felt like the main character was the least funny character on the show.

April was by far the least funny character on the show. At least Tom got dunked on every once in awhile. The stoned animal control guys were the show stealers though:

"Oh man! You applied for this job too! That's crazy!"
"We had no idea and we live together!"
"We live in the same place!"

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Solice Kirsk posted:

April was by far the least funny character on the show. At least Tom got dunked on every once in awhile. The stoned animal control guys were the show stealers though:

Colton Dunn also steals the show on Superstore.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Push El Burrito posted:

Colton Dunn also steals the show on Superstore.

We just started watching that and he is the best on the show easily.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I was going to say Scrubs but even with how lovely a person JD turned later on there was a lot of good stuff in the early 3 seasons with him.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yes, but at some point western society decided Buddhism wasn't a real religion because of racism.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

RIP Harris Wittels

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Leslie is funny at times. Often, her dialogue is overly quirky and cringey, however. The least funny would definitely be April and Ann. April because Aubrey Plaza can't act or come across as anything other than lolrandom, and Ann because she never was given any defining character traits or reason to be in the show beyond season 2 or 3.

An interesting thing Parks and Rec did is more or less ditch the "mockumentary" concept a little over halfway through while retaining the filming style, which numerous sitcoms use today.

SweetMercifulCrap! has a new favorite as of 20:34 on Mar 23, 2019

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

April because Aubrey Plaza can't act or come across as anything other than lolrandom

Somebody hasn’t seen Legion.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

If only we could all be so lucky

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Leslie is funny at times. Often, her dialogue is overly quirky and cringey, however. The least funny would definitely be April and Ann. April because Aubrey Plaza can't act or come across as anything other than lolrandom, and Ann because she never was given any defining character traits or reason to be in the show beyond season 2 or 3.

An interesting thing Parks and Rec did is more or less ditch the "mockumentary" concept a little over halfway through while retaining the filming style, which numerous sitcoms use today.

I hate that filming style.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

April because Aubrey Plaza can't act or come across as anything other than lolrandom

She's pretty good in Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates :shrug:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Plaza is actually pretty good actress I think you confuse not liking the character with the actress

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Ron Swanson became less entertaining when assholes on social media began lifting him up as their Libertarian Jesus.

Every time I see some kind of snarky anti-government meme with his face attached to it, I just kind of sigh to myself and frown. :sigh:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I came to P&R late after Swanson started to be held up as the best thing ever so it was weird to realize he’s just as much a gently caress up as any of them.

His music is his only redeeming quality.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

I actually agree with him based on her acting in Legion. I like her in several other things, but in Legion she was very over the top and just ridiculously bad.

This is my weird, unpopular opinion.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Krispy Wafer posted:

I came to P&R late after Swanson started to be held up as the best thing ever so it was weird to realize he’s just as much a gently caress up as any of them.

I think it's another case of the Bill the Cat effect. If you really think about it he's a tremendous rear end in a top hat but he's funny so people like him. Kind of like how Carl is everybody's favorite character in ATHF. He's a revolting person in every way imaginable but he's hilarious.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Bogus Adventure posted:

She’s not bad in that Dogme 95 thing where she jerks off in her bathroom either.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

The thing about Ron is that he's a libertarian but he's not an rear end in a top hat about it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
From what I saw of the character, mostly from compilation clips, he is partially falling into toxic masculinity but doesn't go all the way, for example there are lots of people he genuinely cares about like April and Andy, April because she has an attitude he respects and Andy because he's like a big stupid son to him. Also he doesn't hide his emotions well, he tries, but we all know his adorable giggle when the tiny horse shows up or when playing football with Andy after enjoying a Meat Tornado (a mexican food truck item he is initially sceptical abut but ends up loving the name so much he's like "OK, you got me."). Basically he tries for Toxic Manhood, but actually kind of fails at sticking the landing.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Bogus Adventure posted:

Also in Ingrid goes West

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Oh speaking of Rashida Jones and not aging well, I was surprised to see her in a sketch on Chappelle's Show, the same episode as the world famous Rick James sketch. The sketch was particularly cringy about the "love contract" to keep women from accusing you of rape and was yet another excuse for Dave to pretend to ejaculate on camera, which happens so often I think it's gotta be his fetish. Nothing about that bit has aged well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

https://i.imgur.com/31mBIcV.gifv