Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Meh, Ronny got through Iran Contra without a scratch without Fox News. But I don't disagree in general.

Trump is going to get away with this just like Reagen got through Iran Contra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

Prester Jane posted:

At this point the first thing a massive blue wave in 2020 is gonna accomplish is to force us all to find out exactly what happens when Trump refuses to abdicate and a significant portion of our population* supports him. At this point I would expect a 2020 blue wave to result in a pretty significant outbreak of (violent) civil unrest.

*this will include most law enforcement+ a sizable portion of the military

This isn't going to happen because the moneyed class has vastly more to lose from a national collapse than they do to gain, and Trump is nothing without their backing. America's 1% obviously prefers Republicans, but they prefer a functional country to a collapsed one even more, and they know their interests are still mostly served under a Democratic administration.

empty whippet box posted:

This is a totally reasonable take on a report we know next to nothing about. Totally. Your brain is whole and unbroken

Next to nothing? We have the top-line conclusion that is going to be the overwhelming public takeaway: Mueller did not find evidence of collusion/conspiracy, and no one else is going to jail. Regardless of the smaller embarassing poo poo that'll be in the report, that top-line is far and away the most important thing.

Like, of course we don't have the full report, but it's insane to act like we don't have the most important 80%.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

This is a totally reasonable take on a report we know next to nothing about. Totally. Your brain is whole and unbroken

Again I emphasize that the actual contents of the report are totally irrelevant at this point- what really matters is the narrative about what's in the report. (This isn't a high school debate contest, facts don't matter in the loving slightest)

I would argue that the (naive) belief that the actual contents of the report will counteract the established narrative about the report is what is "broke brained"- especially in light of the events of the past three years.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Prester Jane posted:

Trump firing Mueller would have been so much better of an outcome than what just happened. (Basically the worst-case scenario occurred today.) I am genuinely kind of struggling to come up with a worse realistic scenario than what actually just took place.

At this point the first thing a massive blue wave in 2020 is gonna accomplish is to force us all to find out exactly what happens when Trump refuses to abdicate and a significant portion of our population* supports him. At this point I would expect a 2020 blue wave to result in a pretty significant outbreak of (violent) civil unrest.

The combined GDP of the areas and states that would "rebel" in such an event make some of the Eastern European Bloc countries economies look absolutely robust.

The military besides the Marines can't stand the orange chucklefuck. The police on the other hand I'll give you for most, as it seems fascism has spread hard along with a gang culture of good old white boys.

I like your compaction cycle theory, but a lot of the red states would dry up in a month without the government and the successful states to leech off of; it's why their "civil war II" fantasy is so loving laughable

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 25, 2019

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

TulliusCicero posted:

It does make me think if Nixon had just held his ground like a petulant child could he have stuck it out? He didn't have Fox News and the right wing machine to be fair

Nixon was going to be impeached and that impeachment trial was going to convict him. Congress in 1974 had enough shame to do its job.

Fox News was created specifically to prevent this from happening again.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Ronald Reagan got lucky that HW was elected and pretty much shut down the Iran-Contra investigation.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Prester Jane posted:

Trump firing Mueller would have been so much better of an outcome than what just happened. (Basically the worst-case scenario occurred today.) I am genuinely kind of struggling to come up with a worse realistic scenario than what actually just took place.

You predicted something similar for 2018.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Z. Autobahn posted:

Next to nothing? We have the top-line conclusion that is going to be the overwhelming public takeaway: Mueller did not find evidence of collusion/conspiracy, and no one else is going to jail. Regardless of the smaller embarassing poo poo that'll be in the report, that top-line is far and away the most important thing.

Like, of course we don't have the full report, but it's insane to act like we don't have the most important 80%.

nitpicking here, but it's not that mueller didn't find evidence, he just didn't find enough evidence to convince a reasonable jury that trump & co were guilty of russia-related crimes. republicans are already pushing the narrative that the report affirmatively states that no collusion occurred, when really we already have evidence of collusion, and mueller may have found more, but it wasn't enough

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

She predicts something similar for every day ending with 'y'.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Captain Oblivious posted:

You've literally never advocated for a position in this thread, only attacked the notion of Trump being connected to Russia/Putin in any way. Do you have any actual opinions or is that it? What is it you actually believe

Of course he's guilty, but it'll never catch up to him, because that's capitalism. He's a symptom, not the disease.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Z. Autobahn posted:

This isn't going to happen because the moneyed class has vastly more to lose from a national collapse than they do to gain, and Trump is nothing without their backing. America's 1% obviously prefers Republicans, but they prefer a functional country to a collapsed one even more, and they know their interests are still mostly served under a Democratic administration.

Given that Trump went on TV and admitted collusion and obstruction, this really was the best case scenario for them. It's drat upsetting.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Z. Autobahn posted:

IMO you are assigning a level of self-awareness and rational long term thinking to the moneyed class that they simply do not possess. You are also ignoring the huge portion of the monies class that is actively fueling/manipulating Narrativists in furtherance of their own agendas. (E.g. the Koch bros, Betsy DeVos, the Council for National Policy, etc)

The moneyed class is not going to save society from fascism out of a collective sense of their own enlightened self interest. If anything they will clambor over the piles of corpses to try and crown themselves the new King.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Gaunab posted:

Ronald Reagan got lucky that HW was elected and pretty much shut down the Iran-Contra investigation.

Looking the other way from rampant criminality is one of the true bipartisan triumphs of US governance.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Prester Jane posted:

Again I emphasize that the actual contents of the report are totally irrelevant at this point- what really matters is the narrative about what's in the report.

The narrative will follow what's in the report, at least to some degree. If there's enough poo poo in the report to make Trump look even more guilty than he does now but not guilty enough to straight up indict, the narrative will be different from what it would be if the report straight up says "yeah we didn't find poo poo".

What's in the report will matter. How much is where we hopefully can disagree amicably.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Midgetskydiver posted:

If there's enough poo poo in the report to make Trump look even more guilty than he does now but not guilty enough to straight up indict,

this is literally the case, per the barr letter. and that's the most favorable gloss barr could put on it

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I'm hoping Mueller goes in history as the guy who couldn't make an obstruction case against the dude who admitted to firing Comey to protect himself.

Instead he'll get Mark Fuhrman's job at Fox News and will be treated like he's the grandmaster of being fair and balanced because the GOP hated him for a year.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

GreyjoyBastard posted:

For 2018 I predicted a rising wave of "popcorn kettle" terrorism- random attacks by lone wolf's (and eventually small groups) that would rise in frequency until they became an indecipherable background roar (much like how popcorn in a kettle starts out as a few isolated pops until they rise in frequency to the point where they are an indistinguishable background roar). I also predicted that McConnel was clearly unconcerned about losing his power. I do not recall predicting that the midterm elections would result in anything but an a accekeration of the ongoing popcorn kettle terrorism. (Feel free to quote me stating otherwise though)

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Mar 25, 2019

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Prester Jane posted:

What I call "Cooperators" will never under any circumstances pursue any course of action that they believe would jeopardize their personal status quo/their personal control over societies resources. The DNC (and the oldschool RNC establishment) is dominated by the Cooperator
mindset.

America is presently caught in a recognizable cycle of Cooperators losing social control to Narrativists that I have dubbed "The Devils Minuet". This process has played itself out over and over in human history as follows:
  • 1.) A period of stability results (often gradually) in a societies power structure becoming controlled by the Cooperator mindset.

• 2.) The Cooperator class in control of this stable society walls themselves off as an elite class and begins to set up effective barriers to prevent anyone challenging their power.

• 3.) This privileged Cooperator class eventually redirects so much of societies resources to its own control that a significant portion of the population experiences a significant decline in their quality-of-life. This decline creates a psychological vulnerability that permits Narrativism to spread in the (previously) stable society.

• 4.) The privileged Cooperator class will inevitably perceive criticisms of its control over societies resources as a greater threat to their control than Narrativists are- and will attempt* to manipulate Narrativists to fight against this threat to their power in the (sadly mistaken) belief that they can easily deal with the Narrativists at a later date.
    *fail spectacularly

• 5.) The privileged Cooperator class is completely caught completely off guard when they are perp-marched into the ovens.

IMO America is in the middle of stage four in this process.

This sounds like someone halfway towards developing class consciousness on weed.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Midgetskydiver posted:

The narrative will follow what's in the report, at least to some degree. If there's enough poo poo in the report to make Trump look even more guilty than he does now but not guilty enough to straight up indict, the narrative will be different from what it would be if the report straight up says "yeah we didn't find poo poo".

What's in the report will matter. How much is where we hopefully can disagree amicably.

It won't matter in the slightest IMO. The narrative has already been set and that's pretty much the game as far as the Mueller report goes.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Z. Autobahn posted:

Does the report actually say that so explicitly or does the summary from Barr say that?

At this point, I guess it doesn't matter - the headlines say "no collusion" - and if any "correction" happens, it will fall on overhwelmingly deaf ears.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I have only heard bad news for detractors of the president so that gold star family must be going through absolute dog poo poo right now.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Also I doubt the report is coming out in any form that doesn't waste a whole cartridge full of black ink on black bars, even to congress. Hell, the thing might be shredded by now.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Prester Jane posted:

For 2018 I predicted a rising wave of "popcorn kettle" terrorism- random attacks by lone wolf's (and eventually small groups) that would rise in frequency until they became an indecipherable background roar (much like how popcorn in a kettle starts out as a few isolated pops until they rise in frequency to the point where they are an indistinguishable background roar). I also predicted that McConnel was clearly ubxoncerbed about losing his power. I do not recall predicting that the midterm elections would result in anything but an a celebration of the popcorn kettle terrorism. (Feel free to quote me stating otherwise though)

What is the distinction between that and your new prediction?

edited to be less dismissive

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Just think. Mueller and Comey the two heroes of thousands of G men and the paragons of truth justice and the American way are two of the most effective handmaidens of American fascism.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

GreyjoyBastard posted:

What is the distinction between that and your new prediction?

edited to be less dismissive

For 2018 I predicted a steadily rising wave of right-wing terrorism. (And was dismissed just as breezily then as I am being dismissed now) Now I am predicting something along the lines of a full-blown breakdown in civil order if there is a blue wave in 2020.

To be specific I am predicting that if Trump loses re-election he will refuse to abdicate power and will be supported by a pretty substantial portion of our population as well as most of Law Enforcement and a non-trivial portion of the military. This will be well beyond a simple constitutional crisis and would veer dangerously close to "civil war" territory.

So for 2018 I was predicting more-or-less exactly what actually happened in terms of stochastic terrorism- but those were largely the isolated (albeit frequent) acts of uncoordinated cells. What I am talking about now is a period of time where right wing militia's will be operating checkpoints with the full blessing of local law enforcenent.

I'm not taking any stabs whatsoever on how that whole mess ultimately pans put mind you- at this point it just seems really obvious to me that something like that is where we are headed right now.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mcmagic posted:

Just think. Mueller and Comey the two heroes of thousands of G men and the paragons of truth justice and the American way are two of the most effective handmaidens of American fascism.

You're really enjoying wallowing in your pessimism about this, aren't you?

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

Kobayashi posted:

Of course he's guilty, but it'll never catch up to him, because that's capitalism. He's a symptom, not the disease.

What does that have to do with Capitalism?

Why are you people talking about a civil war?

Do you actually think this way?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/mitchellvii/status/1110007022089572352

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Prester Jane posted:

For 2018 I predicted a steadily rising wave of right-wing terrorism. (And was dismissed just as breezily then as I am being dismissed now) Now I am predicting something along the lines of a full-blown breakdown in civil order if there is a blue wave in 2020.

To be specific I am predicting that if Trump loses re-election he will refuse to abdicate power and will be supported by a pretty substantial portion of our population as well as most of Law Enforcement and a non-trivial portion of the military. This will be well beyond a simple constitutional crisis and would veer dangerously close to "civil war" territory.

So for 2018 I was predicting more-or-less exactly what actually happened in terms of stochastic terrorism- but those were largely the isolated (albeit frequent) acts of uncoordinated cells. What I am talking about now is a period of time where right wing militia's will be operating checkpoints with the full blessing of local law enforcenent.

I'm not taking any stabs whatsoever on how that whole mess ultimately pans put mind you- at this point it just seems really obvious to me that something like that is where we are headed right now.

You think Trump losing in 2020 and instituting full fascism in response would be close to civil war territory?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Prester Jane posted:

I think this proposition is highly unlikely and veering way too much in the direction of Climactic Confrontation Between Good And Evil, but it is at least more falsifiable than "there will be right wing terrorist attacks".

Okay! Maybe we'll revisit this in two years!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

You're really enjoying wallowing in your pessimism about this, aren't you?

lots of people are

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc

Nonsense posted:

I have only heard bad news for detractors of the president so that gold star family must be going through absolute dog poo poo right now.

Which gold star family? He's shat on several so far.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I think this proposition is highly unlikely and veering way too much in the direction of Climactic Confrontation Between Good And Evil, but it is at least more falsifiable than "there will be right wing terrorist attacks".

Okay! Maybe we'll revisit this in two years!

There was a steady rise in right-wing terror attacks throughout 2018. If there had not been you would be trumpeting that my predictions had been falsefied.

Similarly KM and I basically made a two woman stand against this thread when we asserted in late November 2016 that Trump's election would precipitate a significant increase in hate crimes. That was a fully falsifiable prediction that has since been vindicated a dozen times over.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
With the Changing of the Guard, so to speak, with Generations, I see an interesting pattern. Traditionally important topics diminish. There are very few people in my age bracket who care about gun rights, for example. But they certainly is a lot of people who care about copyright law. Outside of AOC, I've see very few people really recognize this fact. I'm interested in how things will go 4 or 5 elections from now. By that point the Old Guard will be almost completely dead. I won't expect a push leftward or rightward, as it's not as if the political breakdown has changed dramatically. They'll be more liberal policies with acceptance of certain groups, but I wouldn't expect a humongous shift. But I am interested to see when the dialogue changes. With the shrinking religious demographic, it will be interesting to hear last people talk religion and then so many other people talk about student debt. I guess I'm just saying is I'm curious how gradual the change will be and who is going to be left behind and not realizing that the old tricks don't work.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
If Trump loses he will piss and moan about it and probably say it's rigged, but will ultimately leave office because he can make more money in selling his whining to whoever will listen.

Remember, he loving *hates* being President by all accounts, and doesn't want to be stuck there anymore.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

GreyjoyBastard posted:

lots of people are

Tell me about it. I'm glad that I'm in a more emotionally stable place today than I was in late 2017-early 2018, when this thread was instrumental in keeping me from a complete emotional breakdown in many ways. If me then was reading todays thread I'd be really worried about what I might do.

Like, jesus christ people, take a week off from politics and go squeeze a nerf ball into oblivion or something. This isn't healthy.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Prester Jane posted:

There was a steady rise in right-wing terror attacks throughout 2018. If there had not been you would be trumpeting that my predictions had been falsefied.

Similarly KM and I basically made a two woman stand against this thread when we asserted in late November 2016 that Trump's election would precipitate a significant increase in hate crimes. That was a fully falsifiable prediction that has since been vindicated a dozen times over.

There’s been a steady rise in right wing terrorism for at least a decade.

And while it’s certainly possible that hate crimes have increased as well, we don’t really know that because the methods of data collection are extremely flawed.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Sanguinia posted:

Tell me about it. I'm glad that I'm in a more emotionally stable place today than I was in late 2017-early 2018, when this thread was instrumental in keeping me from a complete emotional breakdown in many ways. If me then was reading todays thread I'd be really worried about what I might do.

Like, jesus christ people, take a week off from politics and go squeeze a nerf ball into oblivion or something. This isn't healthy.

Yeah, ironically working 80 hours a week right now for tax season is helping me deal right now. I am so drained from being a worker drone who is literally working 9 to 8 p.m. Monday to Friday and 9 to 7 p.m. Saturday and 9 to 1 p.m. on Sunday that I can't actually manage to be worried about these things. Not saying everyone should get a job in this industry to alleviate their stress, but I am saying having things to take their mind off stuff will definitely help.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Koalas March posted:

Wait do some goons actually believe NO COLLUSION despite the mountains of evidence to the contrary or do they just want this to go away because they don't want to see rich people punished for their actions

Lmfao

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Covok posted:

With the Changing of the Guard, so to speak, with Generations, I see an interesting pattern. Traditionally important topics diminish. There are very few people in my age bracket who care about gun rights, for example. But they certainly is a lot of people who care about copyright law. Outside of AOC, I've see very few people really recognize this fact. I'm interested in how things will go 4 or 5 elections from now. By that point the Old Guard will be almost completely dead. I won't expect a push leftward or rightward, as it's not as if the political breakdown has changed dramatically. They'll be more liberal policies with acceptance of certain groups, but I wouldn't expect a humongous shift. But I am interested to see when the dialogue changes. With the shrinking religious demographic, it will be interesting to hear last people talk religion and then so many other people talk about student debt. I guess I'm just saying is I'm curious how gradual the change will be and who is going to be left behind and not realizing that the old tricks don't work.

This is something I'd be for. Lots of people, especially younger to middle aged people who make their living in media and art, are getting slowly edged out and nickel and dimed by how much worse copyright law has been getting. Every few months it or something related to it blows up as a topic on social media.