Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Hi, Sandcastle. It's my first LP, so I'm looking for some feedback.

First post (basic info on the games, TOC for the starts to the various scenarios as I run them)
Scenario start post (this is the rough format for the "introduction to scenario" post for each scenario)
Turn post (general format for a turn's post. There may be more or less screenshots depending on what happens during the turns, but this is the basic format)

Too wordy? Too info-dumpy in the second post? I expect later scenarios to be a bit less wall o' text because I won't need to explain the units or anything. Is there more info I should be including?

Thanks in advance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Hypnobeard posted:

Hi, Sandcastle. It's my first LP, so I'm looking for some feedback.

It doesn't seem too wordy to me at all. Good luck in your WWI adventures. We're all counting on you.

Unrelated, I'm recording a new game and I feel like the audio balance is off. Can anyone confirm/deny? It's Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fah-gK6T8sU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
It sounds good - you talking and not talking didn't mean that I had to adjust my volume at all.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Six Degrees of OSHA Violations

Let's Play Descent

What is Descent?

Published in 1995 by Interplay, and developed by Parallax Software, Descent is perhaps the first truly free-movement shooter on the market. Other flight sims don't have the same degree of freedom, and it stands today as one of the hallmarks of good shooter gameplay. When I say you can go anywhere, I mean it. Up, down, left, right, forward, back, rolling, pitching and yawing? All six axis of movement are available.

This game can induce vertigo.

You, the player, are a person called Material Defender, hired by the Pan-Terran Mining Corporation (or PTMC) to eradicate a ... small infestation of robots in various mines around the Solar System. Apparently, there's a bug in the system, and it's up to you to scour each mine by detonating the core reactor in each mine - then escape the ensuing detonation

How do I play it?

Well, you have two options. The first is to purchase the game from either Steam or Good Old Games, and play it right out of the box. Or, you can do what I'm doing, and play it using the Descent: Rebirth engine, which optimizes it for higher-end machines, and I found it far easier to set up my Wingman Attack 2 Joystick through that than trying to configure DosBox and then the game itself to operate properly.

Because if you think I'm playing this game using just a Mouse and Keyboard - or just the keyboard, you have another thing coming.

The LP Itself

This will be a Video LP, with myself and whatever co-commentators I can scrounge up. I will be posting non-commentary and commentary videos side by side so you can enjoy or suffer through our silence as you see fit.

However! I am always on the lookout for more co-commentators. The more people I have on tap, the less stale the chatting gets. So if you're interested, PM me, or drop me a contact here in the thread. I tend towards Skype for my chatting needs, but I could whip up a Discord if needed.

Spoilers Policy
This game is over 20 years old. I don't mind minor spoilers, but things that are only explained in later games are verboten. Keep to this one, please, as I do have plans to do the other Descents later.

Wait, vertigo? You're kidding, right?

No. No I'm not.

Prepare for Descent, Material Defender

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

berryjon posted:

Six Degrees of OSHA Violations

Let's Play Descent

What is Descent?

Published in 1995 by Interplay, and developed by Parallax Software, Descent is perhaps the first truly free-movement shooter on the market. Other flight sims don't have the same degree of freedom, and it stands today as one of the hallmarks of good shooter gameplay. When I say you can go anywhere, I mean it. Up, down, left, right, forward, back, rolling, pitching and yawing? All six axis of movement are available.

This game can induce vertigo.

You, the player, are a person called Material Defender, hired by the Pan-Terran Mining Corporation (or PTMC) to eradicate a ... small infestation of robots in various mines around the Solar System. Apparently, there's a bug in the system, and it's up to you to scour each mine by detonating the core reactor in each mine - then escape the ensuing detonation

How do I play it?

Well, you have two options. The first is to purchase the game from either Steam or Good Old Games, and play it right out of the box. Or, you can do what I'm doing, and play it using the Descent: Rebirth engine, which optimizes it for higher-end machines, and I found it far easier to set up my Wingman Attack 2 Joystick through that than trying to configure DosBox and then the game itself to operate properly.

Because if you think I'm playing this game using just a Mouse and Keyboard - or just the keyboard, you have another thing coming.

The LP Itself

This will be a Video LP, with myself and whatever co-commentators I can scrounge up. I will be posting non-commentary and commentary videos side by side so you can enjoy or suffer through our silence as you see fit.

However! I am always on the lookout for more co-commentators. The more people I have on tap, the less stale the chatting gets. So if you're interested, PM me, or drop me a contact here in the thread. I tend towards Skype for my chatting needs, but I could whip up a Discord if needed.

Spoilers Policy
This game is over 20 years old. I don't mind minor spoilers, but things that are only explained in later games are verboten. Keep to this one, please, as I do have plans to do the other Descents later.

Wait, vertigo? You're kidding, right?

No. No I'm not.

Prepare for Descent, Material Defender

I can see how this would cause vertigo, yes.

I notice some screen freezing here and there for a second or two. Happened at about 9:30 and also earlier in the video. Not sure if there's anything you can do about it, but it's there. Might just be me!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

dscruffy1 posted:

I can see how this would cause vertigo, yes.

I notice some screen freezing here and there for a second or two. Happened at about 9:30 and also earlier in the video. Not sure if there's anything you can do about it, but it's there. Might just be me!

Yeah, I also noticed this.

Jazzed for the LP though, never made it far in those games (I suck at FPS and games in general, even moreso when I was young) I enjoyed them a lot. Even got a rip-off game for the PSX at some point for that 3d movement.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

The screen freezing was a relic of my recording session - it doesn't pop up in future videos, and nothing was lost in the process.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Aside from the freezing the commentary is good. I never finished the original Descent and I've been playing Forsaken recently, so I am lookin forward to seeing more six degrees of vertigo.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Raising Them All Like Lunatics: Let's Play Fire Emblem Fates Conquest

Fire Emblem Fates is a trio of games that are collectively the 14th installment in the Fire Emblem strategy RPG series. Fates is the sequel to Intelligent Systems' 2012 hit Fire Emblem Awakening, retaining the same general mechanics but with a lot of refinements to the balance and the map design. The central conceit of Fates is that your main character has a choice between battling for his birth family (Birthright) or his adoptive family (Conquest) when they go to war with each other. The third path, Revelation, has Corrin refuse to take a side, and he discovers and defeats the true threat in a hidden realm. (It's the golden ending.)

Birthright was designed to be more friendly to new players, with simpler map design and the opportunity to grind for experience and money outside the story. Conquest is the more challenging version, and there is no grinding allowed without buying a particular DLC map.

I love Conquest a lot. I think it's a blast to play, especially after your first go through when you know what's coming and you can build your team accordingly. The unit balance is nearly perfect—there's an obvious set of really good units for you to lean on, but almost all the characters reward you handsomely when you invest resources in them intelligently. That makes it very replayable.

Spoiler Policy

I think Game Informer said it best: "Conquest is a dark fantasy epic filled with political intrigue that has you questioning who, and what, you are fighting for all the way through the campaign. Where Birthright forces players to answer tough questions while making tragic sacrifices for the good of a nation, Conquest is not merely content with philosophical complications."

Accordingly, I don't want anyone to ruin the experience for newcomers, so I'm asking you not to post any spoilers whatsoever.

Just kidding! This game's story is not good. Here's the main outline:

The obvious bad guy is possessed by an insane dragon. Azura knows about this but can't tell anyone. In Conquest, Corrin decides to return to his adoptive family in Nohr and undermine his warmongering dad. Corrin and Azura hatch a plan to expose their father: they will acquire a McGuffin they can only reach by conquering all of Hoshido. So they're going to defeat their father… by leading their father's army in a massive war of conquest that kills a lot of people gently taps a lot of people on the head.

I do not care about spoilers for this game. The story is not what I love about it, and other players have done an able job showcasing it. (You can check out Tae's LP, for one.)

That said, I'd like to keep plot discussion in this thread mostly related to what's going on in the LP, so please don't launch into an extended discussion about the dumb things Corrin and Azura are going to do until it's about time for them to do them.

The Plan for This LP

The nature of Fire Emblem is that it's best to pick a team out of the cast and stick with it, discarding the occasional unit who gets bad stat rolls and adding some replacements. That way, you focus the experience and the resources onto a smaller set of units who can get ahead of the level curve, build bigger stats than the enemy, and carry you to victory.

I'm not going to do that. My plan for this run is to recruit and train every single unit. All of them1 will see significant use, they'll all promote, they'll all get married, everything. If you like seeing numbers go up, boy, you are going to see a lot of that.

I will do this without grinding on Lunatic difficulty, the hardest one. I'm going to do my best to play at a reasonably fast pace (in terms of turn count), although the nature of this challenge is that sometimes I'll have to slow down a bit.

I do have a plan in mind for how I'm going to pull all this off, but that does mean I'm not going to do the traditional Fire Emblem LP thing where the thread votes on who I'm going to deploy. In exchange, you'll get to see everyone, and especially late in the game I'm going to show off something like a dozen fun and completely busted character builds just because I can.

For the sake of my sanity while trying to produce a watchable video LP, I am going to make a few compromises:
  • I'm going to cheat by giving Corrin a skill that grants +5 accuracy to the entire army, just so I don't have to reset as much while recording.
  • I'm going to set each unit to exactly their average stats at the end of each battle. This will obviously protect me from getting screwed by a succession of early empty levels, and it may end up saving me a little bit of money on tonics that I would otherwise have to buy for units who miss their growths. On the other hand, I won't have any lucky units get ahead of their averages, either.
  • I might replay battles off-screen if, for instance, a missed attack at the very end of a map causes me to miss an important level or support point threshold. This will probably only happen in the very early chapters, when everyone has subpar accuracy and there's little I can do to make things more reliable.

While I will do my best in my commentary to explain my thinking and elaborate on how I'm using the game's mechanics, especially the hidden mechanics that aren't spelled out to players, I'm not going to give a complete tutorial for the basics of Fire Emblem. If you do see something that confuses you, please ask in the thread!

1 Well, all of them except the four that can only support with Corrin.

Thread Index
(links to updates)

——————
(first reply)

Conquest Lunatic Part 1: Chapters 0-2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNBipSuDU4c

We get started by creating our main character, meeting her siblings, and venturing out to visit her father. (Spoilers: he's not a good guy.)

——————
(later update)

Conquest Lunatic Part 7: Chapter 8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ8fipwk9FI

Corrin and friends suppress a rebellion in the Ice Tribe. We recruit Odin and Niles, retainers of Lord Leo.

Odin unlocks C support with both Niles and Elise, while Arthur and Effie reach B support with each other.

pre:
+---------+--------------+-------+----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+
| Unit    | Class        | Level | HP | STR | MAG | SKL | SPD | LCK | DEF | RES |
+---------+--------------+-------+----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+
| Corrin  | Nohr Prince  | 10.55 | 24 | 12  | 11  | 12  | 13  | 7   | 11  | 5   |
| Effie   | Knight       | 8.00  | 25 | 15  | 0   | 9   | 6   | 11  | 13  | 5   |
| Odin    | Dark Mage    | 8.04  | 23 | 6   | 10  | 12  | 8   | 11  | 7   | 8   |
| Niles   | Outlaw       | 9.05  | 22 | 9   | 5   | 10  | 16  | 6   | 7   | 13  |
| Elise   | Wyvern Rider | 8.55  | 22 | 9   | 10  | 4   | 11  | 14  | 11  | 8   |
| Felicia | Maid         | 3.78  | 20 | 5   | 10  | 11  | 11  | 13  | 5   | 10  |
| Silas   | Cavalier     | 10.01 | 24 | 13  | 0   | 11  | 10  | 9   | 12  | 6   |
| Arthur  | Fighter      | 9.04  | 25 | 13  | 0   | 10  | 9   | 1   | 10  | 4   |

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
So I watched your C8 video, and I want to preface what I'm saying with I think this is a cool idea and I would love to see a high-skill run that demolishes Lunatic Conquest. I don't know that I would follow this LP as-is for a few reasons though:

1) It's in video to begin with. Nothing wrong with video in general, but Fire Emblem generally doesn't work well with for a few reasons. No one wants to sit there and watch you try and figure out your next move, for one, but more importantly if you need to explain something that's going on, or why you're doing something particular, the game continues on. There were multiple times in that video you were still explaining something you did 15 seconds ago while something new is happening. Plus, you're going really, really fast with your menus. That's good, of course, but I'm a Fire Emblem veteran and even I had trouble following along with what and why you were doing every so often. And of course, these maps get long, especially late in the game. Really long. It's a 20 minute video now, but it could easily be an hour long per map by endgame, and frankly an hour long video is a hard sell, especially for something that has so little going on as Fire Emblem.

Most of us who have done FE LPs have done SSLPs because it allows us to better control the pacing and do information dumps as needed, plus you get to cut all those bits you don't need like positioning everyone every single turn. Again, this is NOT a "you have to do it this way", just something to consider.

2) There's nothing wrong with skipping the FE LP traditions like letting the audience pick your party members and whatnot, but fairly or not, I'm immediately bristling a bit at the "Oh and this is how I'm cheating" bit. I get that it's a small thing and mostly just makes for a more consistent experience for you, but it still rubs me the wrong way, especially resetting everyone's stats to average after every map. I'm sure it's necessary for playing on Lunatic and showing everything off the way you plan, but speaking as a prospective audience member, no one wants to see [Favorite Unit] get three perfect levels in a map and then get told "anyway so I hacked him back down because he's not supposed to be this good". Maybe consider using that as more a mulligan than SOP? Like if someone is turning out exceptionally bad or lopsided, hit that reset button, but otherwise roll with it to the best of your ability. Something I would highly suggest at least checking out is Melth's Perfect Rank LP of Fire Emblem 7, which aimed to do a lot of the same stuff this LP is, and he does a really good job of explaining exactly what he's doing, when, and why while still rolling with whatever garbage the game throws at him.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Artix posted:

Comments

Thanks for the input!

For #1, believe me, I do realize that video presents a lot of challenges for this kind of thing. I'm doing all the commentary in post, but that means I have to try to think ahead about what I’m going to do, what needs explaining, and when I can just fly through without much commentary. Behind the scenes, my procedure is to take fairly detailed notes of a preliminary clear and then recreate it on video, while trying to build in time for me to talk about things.

This helps sidestep the problem where you have to sit and watch me strategize for minutes at a time, but resets are extra frustrating because I have to make time for all the things I want to discuss again. Just in making these two videos, I’ve discovered that when I highlight certain enemy skills because I want to talk about them, what seems like forever when I’m playing is actually no time at all when I’m talking.

There is one main reason why I want to do video: I don’t think there's a better way to communicate how fluid the unit movement is (and must be). The hardest part of this run isn't feeding experience to under-leveled units, it’s actually building all the supports. When most maps have 12 or 13 deployment slots but you have to get 36 units to S support, and you want many of them to earn A+ supports along the way, you have to do precise positioning all the time, and to me that’s a big part of the drama of the run. I think it would be really difficult to show this in screenshot form.

On #2: I actually really like your idea of treating a stat reset as a mulligan to keep in my back pocket. I originally made recordings of Conquest when I was trying to prove that you could pull off certain tactics without getting lucky on stats. While I was planning this run, I didn’t want to be tempted to rig stat growths to my benefit, so I adopted the averaging rule as a way to prevent myself from obsessing over that—I wanted a good, solid proof of concept.

I think you make a fair point that there's more drama to be had if someone really starts kicking rear end or I get real mad at someone who's unexpectedly draining my resources. That's much scarier for me from the production side, but if I lay out ahead of time that I have a reset option, I think that's fair for everyone. I’m stubborn enough that I would absolutely hate to use it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Zoran posted:

There is one main reason why I want to do video: I don’t think there's a better way to communicate how fluid the unit movement is (and must be). The hardest part of this run isn't feeding experience to under-leveled units, it’s actually building all the supports. When most maps have 12 or 13 deployment slots but you have to get 36 units to S support, and you want many of them to earn A+ supports along the way, you have to do precise positioning all the time, and to me that’s a big part of the drama of the run. I think it would be really difficult to show this in screenshot form.

Does that really require doing full video? Or can it be done with short videos every update?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

ultrafilter posted:

Does that really require doing full video? Or can it be done with short videos every update?

I think so, yes. Technique is what I’m trying to feature, and a sequence of moves that would take a handful of seconds in real time would take maybe a dozen screenshots to properly document. Later in the run I’m not going to be explaining every little thing I’m doing because most things will become familiar, but I still want that stuff to be visible, and devoting something like half my screenshots to that will get tedious.

My plan is to start videos with the prep screen/battle start and finish with the end-of-chapter cutscenes plus the cutscenes for the beginning of the next map. That way I can begin each video by immediately talking about strategy. I’ll do screenshots for the between-map stuff like supports, weapon purchases, class changes, and the like.

Zoran fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 19, 2019

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
We Don't Need No Education: Let's Play Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony

What is Danganronpa V3?

Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony is the third sequel to Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc, released by Spike Chunsoft to the PS4, Vita and PC in Japan during January 2017, and to the rest of the world in September and October of that year. It is the first main game in the series to be developed after the series became popular in English-speaking countries, and features higher resolution art along with more minigames and postgame content than ever before. The game alternates between visual novel segments and courtroom trials where the minigames happen. The plot follows the same basic pattern as the first game and Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair: several high school students are trapped in a killing game, and our protagonist must solve murder mysteries to survive.

What about them spoilers?

As always, it's highly advised that you avoid googling this game if you haven't played it, because it's really easy to spoil by looking at fanart, official art, reviews, songs on the soundtrack, etc. I'd also recommend catching up with what came before, with FPZero's LPs of the first game and the second game, as well as The McD's LP of the spinoff game, Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls; and the anime sequel, Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak Academy. While those last two are, shall we say, a land of contrasts, and V3 is kind of a soft reboot, I recommend at least a basic familiarity with the first two games before proceeding.

As for in-thread spoilers, let's start off with not allowing any, even in tags. Feel free to speculate about how this game'll turn out, as well as discuss any Danganronpa game, anime, light novel or whatever from before 2017, but this game has only been out for two years, so let's keep things clean. In the unlikely even that I gently caress up and spoil something by accident, tell me about it in PM instead of narcing to the whole thread, please.

How will this work?

It'll be a hybrid LP: everything will be covered in screenshots, supplemented with video when I deem it necessary. Since they're fully voice-acted and have the bulk of the gameplay, each trial will be entirely covered by both video and screenshots. For the screenshot segments, the protagonist's thoughts and narration (blue text in-game) will be italicized, highlighted words will be bolded, and my personal comments will be underlined. I'll be playing on the PS4 version and capturing everything via the Remote Play program. Updates will happen once per week at the absolute minimum.

Why make this LP?
Orenronen's original translations of these games are the reason I became a goon; I paid for forums membership so I could read along with their DR2 LP and caugh up with it just in time for it to get canceled. :v: V3 is my favorite part of the series, so I figured it was time for me to bring things full circle.

Table of Contents:
Prologue
Part 1

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Solitair posted:

We Don't Need No Education: Let's Play Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony

What is Danganronpa V3?

Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony is the third sequel to Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc, released by Spike Chunsoft to the PS4, Vita and PC in Japan during January 2017, and to the rest of the world in September and October of that year. It is the first main game in the series to be developed after the series became popular in English-speaking countries, and features higher resolution art along with more minigames and postgame content than ever before. The game alternates between visual novel segments and courtroom trials where the minigames happen. The plot follows the same basic pattern as the first game and Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair: several high school students are trapped in a killing game, and our protagonist must solve murder mysteries to survive.

What about them spoilers?

As always, it's highly advised that you avoid googling this game if you haven't played it, because it's really easy to spoil by looking at fanart, official art, reviews, songs on the soundtrack, etc. I'd also recommend catching up with what came before, with FPZero's LPs of the first game and the second game, as well as The McD's LP of the spinoff game, Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls; and the anime sequel, Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak Academy. While those last two are, shall we say, a land of contrasts, and V3 is kind of a soft reboot, I recommend at least a basic familiarity with the first two games before proceeding.

As for in-thread spoilers, let's start off with not allowing any, even in tags. Feel free to speculate about how this game'll turn out, as well as discuss any Danganronpa game, anime, light novel or whatever from before 2017, but this game has only been out for two years, so let's keep things clean. In the unlikely even that I gently caress up and spoil something by accident, tell me about it in PM instead of narcing to the whole thread, please.

How will this work?

It'll be a hybrid LP: everything will be covered in screenshots, supplemented with video when I deem it necessary. Since they're fully voice-acted and have the bulk of the gameplay, each trial will be entirely covered by both video and screenshots. For the screenshot segments, the protagonist's thoughts and narration (blue text in-game) will be italicized, highlighted words will be bolded, and my personal comments will be underlined. I'll be playing on the PS4 version and capturing everything via the Remote Play program. Updates will happen once per week at the absolute minimum.

Why make this LP?
Orenronen's original translations of these games are the reason I became a goon; I paid for forums membership so I could read along with their DR2 LP and caugh up with it just in time for it to get canceled. :v: V3 is my favorite part of the series, so I figured it was time for me to bring things full circle.

Table of Contents:
Prologue
Part 1

Seems fine. Nothing glaring. Good luck with the LP: this will take a while to finish.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

You might want to actually link music though.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

AweStriker posted:

You might want to actually link music though.

Yeah, I know. I'm gonna do that next, but I was itching to get a test post up as soon as I got my new avatar.

Roluth posted:

Seems fine. Nothing glaring. Good luck with the LP: this will take a while to finish.

:getin:

Solitair fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 24, 2019

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Is there a decent platform for putting together simple polls?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

SelenicMartian posted:

Is there a decent platform for putting together simple polls?

https://www.strawpoll.me/ ?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Strawpoll?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Comedy option: start a new thread for every poll.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Insanely off topic but geemer it's epic that you're still rocking a version of that old avatar.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Namtab posted:

Insanely off topic but geemer it's epic that you're still rocking a version of that old avatar.

What can I say, it grew on me pretty fast.
I honestly still can't believe Adelheid gave it to me way back when. Also holy poo poo it's been 7½ years since that happened. Time flies.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Geemer posted:

Comedy option: start a new thread for every poll.
Poll: Do we trust our mom?
Poll: Do we like George Washington?

That could turn out great!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

a good long while ago, i posted that i was working on a kerbal space program let's play. due to various reasons, i stopped working on it, and since then the game has had some significant upgrades to the point where i feel that starting over is better. however, i'm not posting about that. rather, in recording a new first episode today, i was running my planned post-commentary through my head and started wondering if i should do a separate 5-10 minute 'episode 0' for an introduction to how the game works for people who have never really played it much/at all. i figured i could do this as a way to show what the different buildings in the space center do and what the basic concepts of the game are, without having to do all of that in a regular episode of the let's play since there will probably be a fair number of people who already know that stuff. that way when i start the 'real' series, i can focus more on the here and now of what is going on in the game. is this a good approach?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

a good long while ago, i posted that i was working on a kerbal space program let's play. due to various reasons, i stopped working on it, and since then the game has had some significant upgrades to the point where i feel that starting over is better. however, i'm not posting about that. rather, in recording a new first episode today, i was running my planned post-commentary through my head and started wondering if i should do a separate 5-10 minute 'episode 0' for an introduction to how the game works for people who have never really played it much/at all. i figured i could do this as a way to show what the different buildings in the space center do and what the basic concepts of the game are, without having to do all of that in a regular episode of the let's play since there will probably be a fair number of people who already know that stuff. that way when i start the 'real' series, i can focus more on the here and now of what is going on in the game. is this a good approach?
Yes

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

ok, cool. i gave this a try just going off the head and i hated the finished product, so i'm gonna try again with a script, which i'm writing now. i'll post the intro + first main episode here when i'm done; the intro will be live commentary off a script, but the main lp will be post-commentary over heavily edited video, so when i post the first main video, if it sucks i can re-edit the commentary to not suck. i haven't done a let's play here in like a fuckin decade and poo poo was way different back then, so i'll not be surprised if i gotta tweak things a bit since it ain't 2008 anymore.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Just wanted to also post "yes". LP is in a pretty chill :justpost: state, but your idea sounds good. Lookin forward to the demo!

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

What is the Link to the Past Randomizer?

The Link to the Past Randomizer (LTTPR, or just Randomizer) is a hack of the version 1 Link to the Past game put together by the people in the banner above. This hack moves all the items in the game around, which makes Link to the Past a little bit more difficult and dynamic. It's big in the speedrunning category, mostly because no game is the same, and you can't just memorize what the best tricks are and then replicate them. You need to figure out the best route to take and have knowledge of what items you need to complete each dungeon.

That sounds kind of fun, how do I get in on this?

You can learn more at the randomizer's web page as well as instructions on how to get started.

What is the goal of this LP?

I want to show off several different modes. The randomizer itself has several different ways to play, all with their own quirks. I'll be doing my first run using the following settings:

Standard Mode
Defeat Ganon
Normal Difficulty

Basically, the goal is to collect the 7 crystals and then defeat Ganon after climbing his tower. Normal difficulty means it's essentially the base game, other difficulties remove items from the pool and make some other changes. After this run, I'll open it up to a vote, including some of the crazier settings. These may include, but are not limited to: Playing the game starting in the dark world, having keys shuffled throughout the world and having enemies randomized as well as the items!

Run 1: Standard, Defeat Ganon, Normal, Randomized Swords

Glossary:
Defeat Ganon - Collect the 7 crystals, beat Ganon's Tower, then Ganon to win
Normal - Normal difficulty
Randomized Swords - Uncle will give us a random weapon, rather than a sword
Standard - Start out by rescuing Princess Zelda

Edit: I have uploaded a new version, the commentary should be sync'd better. Thanks for letting me know!

Captain Capitalism fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 1, 2019

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

This was fun! My only complaint was that your voice lagged about two seconds behind the action. Should be an easy fix, at least.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

Hirayuki posted:

This was fun! My only complaint was that your voice lagged about two seconds behind the action. Should be an easy fix, at least.

Noted. I did the commentary in post and messed up the sync. I'll try to fix it up.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Captain Capitalism posted:

Noted. I did the commentary in post and messed up the sync. I'll try to fix it up.

Now it's a little bit too early. 6:00 demonstrates it pretty well, you say "red rupee" before it even shows up on the screen.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

It’s strange. The first half is a fraction of a second fast and the second half is right on track. I’m not sure how to fix it other than re-recording.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
At 12:47 the game jumps for a second which probably explains it. I don't remember exactly but there might have been one or two more similar issues.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
It's possible that you have an issue where your visual framerate is like 60.0001FPS and your audio framerate is exactly 60FPS, so over the course of a long video it gradually desynchs. I didn't check; I just know this is a possibility that could produce results like you're describing. Ask for help in the Tech Support Fort if you feel stumped.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Okay this has been asked before, but I'm actually worried that the archive is dead. It's been 9 months since the last update and I've 3 LPs queued now with a fourth upcoming.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Baldurk last tweeted like two weeks ago. Running the archive and lpix are side projects at best, especially since they're basically money sinks. Maybe hold off on worrying until the sites actually break.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I feel that baldurk may have a life. Maybe he's going for annual updates. Maybe he won't update again. Such is life.
I #believeinbaldurk

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Geemer posted:

Baldurk last tweeted like two weeks ago. Running the archive and lpix are side projects at best, especially since they're basically money sinks. Maybe hold off on worrying until the sites actually break.

An archive that is not archiving is kind of breaking though.

Which is fine, baldurk doesn't have some sort of obligation to drop these silly "work" and "awesome popular OSS debugger" things he's got going to focus on a hobby archive website about people talking over video games. If lparchive went down forever tomorrow it'd die having made the world slightly less crap for over a decade, which is a better record than most of human endeavor. I'm thankful he's kept it running pro bono all this time.

I am saying that if you really need to archive your LP somewhere outside of the dead comedy forum right now then you should look into other solutions than waiting for lparchive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Baldurk relies on positivity, believe in him