Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I think I actually beat one of the pyramids BECAUSE of that lose-all-but-one scroll, because I happened to be holding a rocket launcher and not having to reload that thing makes a huuuuuuuuuuuuuge difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

ZypherIM posted:

I don't have any of the boss names even close to memorized, but if you mean the final boss of the first pyramid, the rocket launcher is one of the best weapons to take into that fight. It is pretty terrible for most other things though.
yep, that's the one, and I knew going in it was going to be excellent but I didn't expect it literally two-shotting the second phase (four each)

and yeah the reload time on the rocket launcher is the thing I like least about it but I still take it over the sniper rifle and bow and other similar "ranged" weapons even if it might be worse than many of the proper explosives

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The "only have one weapon" scroll can be good, but it always removes a lot of depth and makes the game less fun. And playing around it is not fun, too, because it means swapping to a weapon that is good with that scroll before picking up a new scroll, every single time, so you don't get boned.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

immortal redneck is good as hell but the scroll system is seriously just one of the most outright poor decisions in it

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Johnny Joestar posted:

immortal redneck is good as hell but the scroll system is seriously just one of the most outright poor decisions in it
agreed and would probably take a mod that just removed those two "one weapon" scrolls because gently caress 'em

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
The scroll system alone ruined the game for me. Everything else was pretty fun, but god drat are the bad scrolls bad.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
The fall damage scroll is another terrible idea.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Even if you're really committed to the idea of randomly bad pickups, it's especially annoying that most of the bad scrolls actively ruin the flow of the game. Fall damage, getting locked into one weapon, and taking damage on double jumps all remove the big thing that's fun about the game: racing around at full speed using an arsenal of weapons to kill mummies as fast as possible.

Frankly the scrolls would be way better as a gold modifier that you select before entering the pyramid. Pick good scrolls to have an easy run with less rewards, or bad scrolls to challenge yourself and get more gold out of it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

pumpinglemma posted:

So apparently we’re getting an official Zelda roguelike on Switch this spring.

One built around Crypt of the Necrodancer.

Yes, really.

I don’t know what’s real anymore

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Honestly the scroll system seems to make sense with twitch integration more than regular play

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Any opinions on Hades? I'm down for any Supergiant game but it's still on early access.

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
Kyzrati, the developer of Cogmind and a poster in this thread, has launched a Patreon:

https://www.patreon.com/Kyzrati/posts

If you have some coin to spare I highly recommend supporting him. Cogmind is one of the best modern roguelikes in development - if you haven't checked it out yet you really should. Although Cogmind is still in Beta, it's basically been a 1.0 game since 2017. Kyzrati is still working away on it and each major Beta patch is usually the equivalent of a small DLC.

In additional to developing Cogmind, Kyzrati also does killer blog posts either explaining his dev choices or moderating the roguelike dev subreddit:

https://www.gridsagegames.com/blog/2019/02/level-design-shaping-cogmind-experience/

https://www.reddit.com/r/roguelikedev/

Finally, he also some smaller projects on the side just for funsies. Here's a free 7DRL called Polybot 7 that he released awhile back that uses some of the mechanics from Cogmind but goes its own way:

https://kyzrati.itch.io/polybot-7

So there you go, he's the real deal. Making ASCII/tile roguelikes rather than pretty roguelites is pretty niche, so devs like him really benefit from community support. If that's not enough, his Patreon gives access to wizmode and frankly most people aren't seeing the Cogmind extended game without it.

Full disclosure, K didn't ask me to post this, I want him to keep developing Cogmind as long as possible.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Happylisk posted:

Kyzrati, the developer of Cogmind and a poster in this thread, has launched a Patreon:

https://www.patreon.com/Kyzrati/posts

If you have some coin to spare I highly recommend supporting him. Cogmind is one of the best modern roguelikes in development - if you haven't checked it out yet you really should. Although Cogmind is still in Beta, it's basically been a 1.0 game since 2017. Kyzrati is still working away on it and each major Beta patch is usually the equivalent of a small DLC.

In additional to developing Cogmind, Kyzrati also does killer blog posts either explaining his dev choices or moderating the roguelike dev subreddit:

https://www.gridsagegames.com/blog/2019/02/level-design-shaping-cogmind-experience/

https://www.reddit.com/r/roguelikedev/

Finally, he also some smaller projects on the side just for funsies. Here's a free 7DRL called Polybot 7 that he released awhile back that uses some of the mechanics from Cogmind but goes its own way:

https://kyzrati.itch.io/polybot-7

So there you go, he's the real deal. Making ASCII/tile roguelikes rather than pretty roguelites is pretty niche, so devs like him really benefit from community support. If that's not enough, his Patreon gives access to wizmode and frankly most people aren't seeing the Cogmind extended game without it.

Full disclosure, K didn't ask me to post this, I want him to keep developing Cogmind as long as possible.

In this same vein, the Golden Krone Hotel guy has made a patreon as well:

https://twitter.com/GoldenKroneGame/status/1109072507271827458

The reason for all of this patreon-ing is that patreon's been threatening late adopters to the service with obscene fees and tiers, so folks are jumping in. I like this because throwing money at good things is something I'm good at!

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Damnit Patreon take your cut of spine money and be happy about it.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Wall Street is mad at Patreon and could liquidate/ruin it because it is merely a reliable source of subscription income and not an exponentially expanding all-consuming profit machine

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kennel posted:

The fall damage scroll is another terrible idea.
...that exists? I've had "take damage on double jump" but I'm at like 64/80 on the Completionist achievement for all scrolls and apparently I'm missing at least one real shitter, wow.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
in Dungeonmans what do you do with purloined inventory after all the towns prosperity values are maxed?

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Molybdenum posted:

in Dungeonmans what do you do with purloined inventory after all the towns prosperity values are maxed?

Can’t you use it at shops to... reset inventory? Upgrade inventory for the next run? I never did it and I’m not at my computer to check but I think you could do something at shops with it.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Sell it?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Got the Completionist scroll achievement... by picking up a scroll that replaced all my weapons with new random ones.

What the hell, Immortal Redneck. These scrolls are trasherino. Do the devs know how bad they are?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Got the Completionist scroll achievement... by picking up a scroll that replaced all my weapons with new random ones.

What the hell, Immortal Redneck. These scrolls are trasherino. Do the devs know how bad they are?

The devs have moved on from Immortal Redneck a long time ago and never looked back.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm pretty sure the head dev actually doubled down on them being part of the experience from what i remember, so lmao

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

RyokoTK posted:

The devs have moved on from Immortal Redneck a long time ago and never looked back.
I mean, I didn't expect long term fixes (is whatever they put out next as good? cause honestly despite the lovely scrolls I'm having lots of fun with this game and would purchase another game from them), but...

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'm pretty sure the head dev actually doubled down on them being part of the experience from what i remember, so lmao
lmao

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
They've gotta get that authentic roguelike experience of kicking sinks on level 2 and maybe getting some minor benefit or maybe getting killed by a water demon.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

They've gotta get that authentic roguelike experience of kicking sinks on level 2 and maybe getting some minor benefit or maybe getting killed by a water demon.

at least sink kicking didn't masquerade as a core game system

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Man going directly from The vita Shiren to chocobo switch is pretty rough. The game is missing a ton of little QoL features that I though the genre learned ages ago. The buddy system seems like it was exclusively designed for co-op because they have pretty much 0 a.i and are pretty much useless outside of taking a bit of aggro off you.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

DrManiac posted:

The buddy system seems like it was exclusively designed for co-op because they have pretty much 0 a.i and are pretty much useless outside of taking a bit of aggro off you.

It... it was. That wasn't in the Wii or DS ones in any form, it's the most tacked on thing in the port.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Tagichatn posted:

Any opinions on Hades? I'm down for any Supergiant game but it's still on early access.

It's extremely early access, but what's there is lots of fun, and this thing has serious promise. There's no hurry, though, because I'm sure it'll look very different in a year. They're still putting in core systems. It's like before Darkest Dungeon had corpses, or something.

e: I wonder how much more traction Hades would be getting if they'd put it on Steam. I sure hope Epic is putting a lot of money into the game, because I think Supergiant is sacrificing a lot of sales to be an exclusive game on this experimental new platform.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
A hopeful newcomer manifests in Zorbus http://www.zorbus.net/ Win

quote:

Zorbus is a fantasy-themed, graphical, turn-based, role-playing roguelike game. Your goal is to delve deep into a dungeon, find a portal to a mythical place called the Zorbus where a mere mortal can ascend to demigodhood.

Being a roguelike game, Zorbus creates the dungeon randomly so that every played game is slightly different. The game uses permadeath meaning that when a character dies, it really is permanent and the player must begin a new game. You can save the game but the save file is deleted when loaded. You can only save once per dungeon level.

The goal is to create a tight, streamlined dungeon crawling experience where the dungeon feels alive. Thematically Zorbus draws influence from the late 70s and early 80s tabletop AD&D campaigns and adventures.

The rule system for the game is slightly influenced by the d20-system used in the 3rd edition of Dungeons & Dragons. Zorbus has experience levels but no character classes (race and gender is selected). On each level-up, you point-buy skills and talents. Talents are mostly combat abilities and spells.

By design, Zorbus does not have a hunger mechanic, item identification, crafting, autoexplore, an overworld map or quests.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
There should be a roguelike where you can use a zorb.

You should be able to enchant your zorb to make elemental attacks on things you roll into.

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Mar 25, 2019

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I just don't have time for all these new Roguelikes, Cogmind has ruined me. First with it's polish and immersion, then it's mechanics, and now I'm doing suicide runs that take 5+ hours just to unlock new backstory/lore.

Help.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

I finally got Card Quest. It's really good and fun, but it left me wondering why anyone compared it to Slay the Spire. I love both games, but they provide very different experiences once you start digging into both games.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I mean, not that I don't agree they're different, but they're both games where you have a hand of cards and you drag a card with a picture of a sword on it onto a big dude to stab him.

Ganty
Jan 8, 2005
Because we want to! Because we want to!

Social Animal posted:

Just finished the first Mystery Dungeon game with the SNES fan patch (Torneko no Daibouken!) I really enjoy these Mystery Dungeon games and this one was pretty impressive. I've enjoyed Shiren in the past but this one felt more faithful to the original Rogue except easier and I get to relax using a gamepad.

I made a post on the roguelike subreddit to see if anyone had played Rogue Hearts Dungeon. It's a pretty similar game on the PS2 released 10 years ago based on the original Rogue (director of the game was the one who translated the original Rogue to Japanese.) There's a gameplay video on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kpFqUFxFxc

I get fascinated with roguelike games that go under the radar somewhat. Anyone ever play Ehrgeiz's Quest Mode? Ehrgeiz was that fighting game on PS1 that had a lot of Final Fantasy 7 characters in it. While not turn based it was a cool mode that had a lot of roguelike elements.

Definitely my man, the Mystery Dungeon games fit in the perfect middle-zone for me between playing Nethack (or whatever) on a keyboard at my desk and playing Dead Cells on my comfy sofa. I've recently been playing Chocobo Mystery Dungeon: Everybuddy on the Switch. Real fun, and there's even co-op turn based dungeoneering.

I'll look into Rogue Hearts.

Another one of those under the radar roguelikes was "Fatal Labyrinth" on the sega genesis. You can tell that it's essentially just Rogue.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

ExiledTinkerer posted:

A hopeful newcomer manifests in Zorbus http://www.zorbus.net/ Win

I dunno "heavily inspired by AD&D and 3.5" doesn't sound that hopeful to me. Especially not if he's aiming for "tight and streamlined"; making a massive, sprawling, "everything is broken but in interesting ways" game out of 3.5 (like Incursion) is one thing, but it's a terrible basis for something that's supposed to lean hard on the core gameplay.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I dunno "heavily inspired by AD&D and 3.5" doesn't sound that hopeful to me. Especially not if he's aiming for "tight and streamlined"; making a massive, sprawling, "everything is broken but in interesting ways" game out of 3.5 (like Incursion) is one thing, but it's a terrible basis for something that's supposed to lean hard on the core gameplay.

if it's more 2e than 3e it could work

there's a core subset of 2e that's a far more mechanically sound basis for a video game than anything in 3.5, and i say this as a big fan of 3.5

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I really wish Incursion wasn't such a bugfest. A polished and finished version of that game would be a real gem.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Ganty posted:

Definitely my man, the Mystery Dungeon games fit in the perfect middle-zone for me between playing Nethack (or whatever) on a keyboard at my desk and playing Dead Cells on my comfy sofa. I've recently been playing Chocobo Mystery Dungeon: Everybuddy on the Switch. Real fun, and there's even co-op turn based dungeoneering.

I'll look into Rogue Hearts.

Another one of those under the radar roguelikes was "Fatal Labyrinth" on the sega genesis. You can tell that it's essentially just Rogue.

I actually bought that game on steam for pennies when it was on sale. I heard it was an old genesis roguelike so figured why not. Is it worth playing? I don’t think I even bothered installing it.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

golden bubble posted:

I finally got Card Quest. It's really good and fun, but it left me wondering why anyone compared it to Slay the Spire. I love both games, but they provide very different experiences once you start digging into both games.

I've only ever seen people say they're pretty different games, just that you're likely to enjoy one if you like the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

BigLeafyTree posted:

Can’t you use it at shops to... reset inventory? Upgrade inventory for the next run? I never did it and I’m not at my computer to check but I think you could do something at shops with it.

Yeah, if you buy everything at a shop, you can give them purloined inventory to up the shop level and restock.