Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

The sausage curbs they added will launch you (one indy driver did a jump) they just need to put them more places.

They're only at the exits of relatively slow turns. They don't want to put them in places like 19 because cars would hit them too fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Peanut President posted:

to be fair, if Indycar was somehow faster than F1, then F1 fans would poo poo talk indy for being too fast. Just learn that you can never win with euros.

They do actually complain about the IndyCar advertisements pointing out how fast they are in oval trim

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

drgitlin posted:

Once more, for the slow kids: Herman Tilke did not design COTA. The layout is entirely down to Tavo Hellmund and Kevin Schwanz. Tilke GmbH is merely responsible for the buildings.

It’s also a good track.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Frond posted:

It’s also a good track.

It's a good layout that unfortunately includes a brain scrambler which causes everyone involved in discussing it to develop sudden brain damage

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

COTA is a good track. Compared to most of the F1 calendar it's really good. Compared to most of the IndyCar calendar it's just fine, but still good.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
Track is great other than the massive amounts of paved runoff but it is what it is.

I'll admit I've been skeptical about CotA for years, but spending 3 full days there really made me appreciate how good the track is. It's built in about the only part of Texas that isn't flat, and it's designed to have basically everything: fast sweeping corners, hairpins, long straights, and elevation changes.

Could it be better? Yes but you can say that of every road course.

Thanks to Spaced God for coming out to the track, anyone else that was within driving distance and didn't come missed out

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

cota is dogshit, the gently caress is wrong with you idiots

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
COTA is a bad track because so much of its design was literally lifted from other, more famous and better circuits. It's literally a Frankentrack. There is hardly any originality in new track designs anymore; it's just lean one or two novel and unique features and then just copypasta in bits from everywhere else.

That being said, Indycar putting on a very entertaining race despite that says everything about how good of a series Indycar is at producing great racing.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 5 days!)

KingShibby posted:

Could it be better? Yes but you can say that of every road course.

Watkins Glen is perfect.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Peanut President posted:

Watkins Glen is perfect.

:yeah:

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Peanut President posted:

Watkins Glen is perfect.

Unpopular opinion: I don't like Watkins Glen all that much

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

The rare, correct use of the words "Unpopular Opinion".

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

WindyMan posted:

COTA is a bad track because so much of its design was literally lifted from other, more famous and better circuits. It's literally a Frankentrack. There is hardly any originality in new track designs anymore; it's just lean one or two novel and unique features and then just copypasta in bits from everywhere else.

That being said, Indycar putting on a very entertaining race despite that says everything about how good of a series Indycar is at producing great racing.

Yes but they have taken good sections from bad tracks (Silverstone) and ones that no longer host meaningful races (Istanbul Park) and put them together in a good track that I can watch like three or four times a year.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

WindyMan posted:

By that measure Pocono is a bad track by design

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

KingShibby posted:

By that measure Pocono is a bad track by design

It kind of is actually

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Big Huski Boi posted:

Yes but they have taken good sections from bad tracks (Silverstone) and ones that no longer host meaningful races (Istanbul Park) and put them together in a good track that I can watch like three or four times a year.

it takes them and mashes them together with absolutely no thought or flow. the last section of cota is flat-out the worst section of any race track on earth.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

it takes them and mashes them together with absolutely no thought or flow. the last section of cota is flat-out the worst section of any race track on earth.

I have been posting in the F1 threads for over a decade and I can confidently say that yours is the worst post I have ever seen with my two human eyes.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Big Huski Boi posted:

I have been posting in the F1 threads for over a decade

ah, good to know i can completely disregard anything you say about anything ever

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

ah, good to know i can completely disregard anything you say about anything ever

I know quite a lot about terrible posts, you can trust me on this one. There is nothing worse I have ever read than "the last section of cota is flat-out the worst section of any race track on earth." Somehow you've managed to be objectively wrong about a subjective matter, I don't know how you even do that. Fuji Speedway still exists dude.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

the last section of cota is flat-out the worst section of any race track on earth.

The first sector of the Sachsenring is pretty drat bad, but the rest of the track is loving awesome

Also the last sector of Fuji is heinous, also the first part of the new Nurburgring, and every everything of the new Hockenheim

hunnert car pileup fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 25, 2019

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

all race tracks are good :)

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Fauxhawk Express posted:

The first sector of the Sachsenring is pretty drat bad, but the rest of the track is loving awesome

Also the last sector of Fuji is heinous, also the first part of the new Nurburgring, and every everything of the new Hockenheim

the last section of fuji is indeed extremely terrible and it's made worse by the historical context in which it exists. fuji used to be one of the greatest race tracks ever until it got tilke-ified, and i guess if taken in that context it's worse. however removed from that context and looking at it in a vacuum i still think the final sector of cota beats it out. new nurburgring isn't particularly offensive, it's just generic modern gp bullshit. hockenheim is another case like fuji where the context makes it worse than it actually is, though i don't think new hockenheim is anywhere near as bad as new fuji (it still sucks though).

i had not heard of saschenring before and that does look pretty lol, like a bad roval or something.

and as much as cota does suck it's not even really that bad compared with most other modern gp tracks. korea, valencia, sochi and especially yas fuckin marina are the real horror shows. at least cota has a single good sector.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The last sector of COTA is a straight broken up by a few stadium sections at the end. Like it's completely unremarkable what's the deal

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I really do hope they keep the No Limits Texas thing at COTA next year. At the very least, apply it to a handful of corners that can cause charlie pinball accidents.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The last sector of COTA is a straight broken up by a few stadium sections at the end. Like it's completely unremarkable what's the deal

it's extremely, extremely, extremely terrible op

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It's pretty much just an unfunny meme

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It's mostly unremarkable but has an overtaking opportunity and a pretty cool multi-apex curve.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It's mostly unremarkable but has an overtaking opportunity and a pretty cool multi-apex curve.

it's a bunch of stop-start nonsense turns connected haphazardly and possesses absolutely no flow whatsoever. it feels more like a parking lot than the literal parking lot race tracks indycar has raced at in the past.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
My least favorite section of track in the Indycar series is sector one of Portland. It's like a karting circuit.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Hi hello it's me Indycar expert and everyone's pal spaced god here to say cota is good and fun and a great first Indycar race to attend and I got to meet penske and all of his drivers. Also shibby I guess.

I took like three thousand pictures so expect me to post a couple here in the coming week

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

My least favorite track is probably how none of them are Milwaukee

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The flow of COTA is fine. There's the front straight, the fast twisty bit, the straight, and the slow bit at the end. Like compare this with a piece of poo poo like Losail or the new Silverstone where I literally can watch an entire weekend of racing there and still not be sure of the track layout without looking up a map or something and there's zero comparison.

It probably has a better flow than Portland, which seems like it wants to be a classical sweepy NA-style circuit but has that awful first sector, though drag strip tracks are slightly unfair.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Look at all these guys who don't know oschersleben.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Peanut President posted:

Look at all these guys who don't know oschersleben.

Mondello Park in BTCC was one of the worst circuits I had ever seen too. To be fair I think it was literally the only race track in Ireland because the Irish are insane people who like public road races on motorcycles.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Mondello Park in BTCC was one of the worst circuits I had ever seen too. To be fair I think it was literally the only race track in Ireland because the Irish are insane people who like public road races on motorcycles.

Mondello was originally a 1.6 mile track that was given a grant to get to some lovely FIA grading and the only land available was what they crammed in the current lovely layout. It's a club circuit that had big aspirations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The original Portland circuit back when it was public roads (albeit unused because the neighborhood had been destroyed in a flood) was cool

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the Irish are insane people who like public road races on motorcycles.

:hellyeah:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The original Portland circuit back when it was public roads (albeit unused because the neighborhood had been destroyed in a flood) was cool

Good ol' Vanport. There's some hosed up local history around the flood.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The flow of COTA is fine. There's the front straight, the fast twisty bit, the straight, and the slow bit at the end. Like compare this with a piece of poo poo like Losail or the new Silverstone where I literally can watch an entire weekend of racing there and still not be sure of the track layout without looking up a map or something and there's zero comparison.

It probably has a better flow than Portland, which seems like it wants to be a classical sweepy NA-style circuit but has that awful first sector, though drag strip tracks are slightly unfair.

for the record silverstone is probably in my bottom 5 race tracks in the world. however silverstone being substantially worse than cota doesn't absolve cota from being poo poo.

hell i'll even be generous and say cota is one of the better modern gp tracks and one of the better tracks on the f1 schedule, but that's more damning of modern gp tracks and the absolute shitholes forumla 1 visits than anything. i mean any track will look like a winner when it's pitted against yas fuckin marina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

for the record silverstone is probably in my bottom 5 race tracks in the world. however silverstone being substantially worse than cota doesn't absolve cota from being poo poo.

Is it bad because of the design, or is it bad because the cars that primarily race on it are bad for it?

For example, The Goodwood Circuit would be bad if F1 cars ran on it, but for the period cars that race on it it's perfect.

Not necessarily disagreeing with you, I just want to get an idea of how that factors in to your opinion.