Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
That high school play is dope.

That Xenomorph costume... goddamn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The 90s were a magical time, when companies like Kenner were making children’s toys based on hard-R action movies.

I got my first Aliens toy at age 9, and it’s been downhill from there ever since. The first one I got was the Snake Alien, chosen specifically because my mom is afraid of snakes.

And now, 25 years later, NECA has released a remake.

My inner 9-year-old is losing his goddamn mind. :kiddo:

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

jet sanchEz posted:

I was 8 years old when I first saw Alien....I was at a friend's birthday sleepover and that was the movie the parents chose for us. We were all pretty scared after the pasta eating scene and I didn't sleep well at all.

Great film but not appropriate for kids that young, why the gently caress didn't they choose Star Wars or something?

I saw Alien at 7 or 8 and loved it. Getting freaked the gently caress out by horror movies as a kid is the best. I wish they could still scare me like that.

Xenomrph posted:

The 90s were a magical time, when companies like Kenner were making children’s toys based on hard-R action movies.

I got my first Aliens toy at age 9, and it’s been downhill from there ever since. The first one I got was the Snake Alien, chosen specifically because my mom is afraid of snakes.

I had that one, and all of the other ones. They owned. My favorite was the one that exploded into guts and body parts when you pressed the button on its butt.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Mar 26, 2019

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Vargs posted:

I saw Alien at 7 or 8 and loved it. Getting freaked the gently caress out by horror movies as a kid is the best. I wish they could still scare me like that.

I had that one, and all of the other ones. They owned. My favorite was the one that exploded into guts and body parts when you pressed the button on its butt.

You’re thinking of the Scorpion Alien, that one was my favorite too.

That’s one of the later repaints, but I do have the original brown one in a box somewhere.

The Scorpion Alien just got a modern remake, too:

Also it’s pretty cool to finally get a screen-accurate Apone figure.

:v:

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

I like alien and aliens 3 better aliens is too James Cameron blockbuster extravaganza not my thing (Terminator is also better than Terminator 2)

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
oh man seeing the alien toys again :allears:

I had the bigass EVAC ship too and the power loader gently caress those toys were so good

that new scorpion alien owns

e. and old version Apone's grenade things were this weird rubbery material lol

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
The Aliens toys were awesome. I also loved the original scorpion alien because it was like the most basic xenomorph from the movie.

Tolkien minority posted:

I like alien and aliens 3 better aliens is too James Cameron blockbuster extravaganza not my thing (Terminator is also better than Terminator 2)

:frogout:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I had the gorilla alien! I eventually traded it to my cousin because he had a basic screen accurate xeno that was in an alien v predator 2 pack, and even as a kid I thought the monster from the movie was the coolest one even though it didn't shoot water or anything.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

jet sanchEz posted:

I was 8 years old when I first saw Alien....I was at a friend's birthday sleepover and that was the movie the parents chose for us. We were all pretty scared after the pasta eating scene and I didn't sleep well at all.

Great film but not appropriate for kids that young, why the gently caress didn't they choose Star Wars or something?

lol that rules. I saw it at a really young age too, because I used to get super mad that I had to go to bed and mom would stay up and watch movies, so over a three day span I got to stay up late and watch Alien, Aliens, and Alien 3 in order. I had recurring nightmares for years.

Xenomrph posted:

cool toy stuff

poo poo that's awesome. I wonder if they'll do a remake of the Flying Queen cause I might have to buy that if they do.

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 26, 2019

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Tolkien minority posted:

Alien 3 better than Aliens is heresy.

But yeah actually I totally agree about the Terminators.

Caf
May 21, 2004

I'm King James! The Lion King!
I started reading Cold Forge after someone mentioned it in this thread and I have to agree that it's pretty good so far.

And I loved that right after we meet Dorian we find out he's from Boston. Like the author was thinking "what city do assholes come from" and came to the most obvious conclusion.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Xenomrph posted:

Oh drat, I remember those things! Had a whole bunch of them (Bull, Snake, both Queens, Scorpion, "Bishop" (wtf even was that design), Ripley and that weird ATAX thing that must have been designed for the cancelled cartoon) but lost every drat one during a move, except for a few bits and pieces. Like the Flying Queen's wing and a bunch of plastic guns. And ATAX's head :v:

Wish I still had them now, would make interesting ornaments :smith:

RossMan4Life
Dec 18, 2002

by R. Guyovich
Watched AVPR after AVP last night.

I realized I have lower standards for Predator movies as opposed to Aliens. Both of the AVP movies are fun and basically all I want from them is weird fonts on gizmos and an alien dude tapping them ridiculously.

It just sucks that Alien is so unique. There are plenty of ways to make isolated space scary and Resurrection existing is a loving mortal sin.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

RossMan4Life posted:

Watched AVPR after AVP last night.

I realized I have lower standards for Predator movies as opposed to Aliens. Both of the AVP movies are fun and basically all I want from them is weird fonts on gizmos and an alien dude tapping them ridiculously.

It just sucks that Alien is so unique. There are plenty of ways to make isolated space scary and Resurrection existing is a loving mortal sin.

I think that makes sense though.

Alien series directors:
Ridley Scott
James Cameron
David Fincher
John-Pierre Junet

Predator series directors (includes avp):
John McTiernan
Stephen Hopkins
Paul WS Anderson
The Strause Brothers
Nimrod Antal
Shane Black

Outside of McTiernan and Black, none of the predator series has directors of any critical acclaim. McTiernan is known for making awesome action movies and Black has 2 fantastic private eye movies to his name, otherwise he's mostly known as a writer, and for telling dirty jokes. On the other hand, the Alien series is stacked with some serious credentials, so it makes sense to hold them to a higher standard.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 26, 2019

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Man, Nimrod Antal is one hell of a name.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Beet Wagon posted:

Man, Nimrod Antal is one hell of a name.

I saw Kontroll (the movie that bought him to hollywood's attention) many years ago, I remember liking it a lot but I don't remember much about the movie though. The soundtrack is good.

RossMan4Life
Dec 18, 2002

by R. Guyovich
Nice, I think that's definitely a big part of it. Is there a particular Aliens wiki that is better maintained than the others? I'd enjoy reading up on the series

I think Predator films also suffer in the reveal. A lot of whole body shots of Aliens still work, nearly all whole body shots of the Predator show a large man in a rubber suit. I think it's magnified by the dreads, but outside of showing off their hands or the crazy cool face prosthetics, like any on-screen time they get they end up looking goofy.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Antal’s first movie was good. Control. It’s like a black comedy about a nutcase ticket inspector. I have no idea why anyone would think he could make a Predator movie though.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

You’re thinking of the Scorpion Alien, that one was my favorite too.

That’s one of the later repaints, but I do have the original brown one in a box somewhere.

The Scorpion Alien just got a modern remake, too:

Also it’s pretty cool to finally get a screen-accurate Apone figure.

:v:

the bull alien was my first action figure, along with a few random avp comics because my uncle didn’t get that one usually read comic books in order.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I posted this offer in the Alien thread in CineD, and I figure I’ll extend it here.

‘Aliens: Labyrinth’ is the best Aliens comic and deserves to be a movie, and more people should read it. There’s a seller on eBay selling bulk lots of the trade paperback for stupid cheap, and I’m up for buying the lots and distributing them to interested goons for basically the price of shipping + whatever tip you feel is appropriate (I will not be offended if the tip is $0). It looks like I can get 9 copies from one lot, and another 10 more if there’s interest.

I just don’t want to buy a bunch of copies if only 2 people are interested. :v:

Post in the thread and/or shoot me a PM if you’re interested.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
is it as good as dead orbit

that was the last one i read and it was dope/gross

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

WatermelonGun posted:

is it as good as dead orbit

that was the last one i read and it was dope/gross

Is that the one with a character saying “HGK!” a dozen times per page? If so, Labyrinth is a lot better.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
aight well i’m in.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm loving all these nostalgia posts about the weird Kenner toy line! :3

Here's my contribution to the nostalgia: My copy of Platinum Edition came in today!!! I ordered it on eBay, it was only like $20 and whoever sold it is clearly a huge comic fan because it's never been opened and it was sealed in like four envelopes. Well, I'm not that much of a comic book nerd so here are some pics.

And my favourite one...

Xenomrph posted:

I posted this offer in the Alien thread in CineD, and I figure I’ll extend it here.

‘Aliens: Labyrinth’ is the best Aliens comic and deserves to be a movie, and more people should read it. There’s a seller on eBay selling bulk lots of the trade paperback for stupid cheap, and I’m up for buying the lots and distributing them to interested goons for basically the price of shipping + whatever tip you feel is appropriate (I will not be offended if the tip is $0). It looks like I can get 9 copies from one lot, and another 10 more if there’s interest.

In!

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 26, 2019

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Xenomrph posted:

I used to have most of them, but I forgot to pack them in one of my moves, which sucks because they were just cooler than poo poo

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

AFewBricksShy posted:

Black has 2 fantastic private eye movies to his name, otherwise he's mostly known as a writer, and for telling dirty jokes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDMp3Q_gZoU

Xenomrph posted:

I haven't purchased a comic in about 25 years but I might be interested. Hell, it's Aliens.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

I've been meaning to get a physical copy for years. I'd be down.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9IT3n76IOg

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i read about the play, that owns and i hope the kids get crazy cool opportunities from it

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

It'd be a lot cooler if it was an original idea and not just ripped off from a bob's burgers episode.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SilvergunSuperman posted:

It'd be a lot cooler if it was an original idea and not just ripped off from a bob's burgers episode.

As someone who hasn’t watched a lot of Bob’s Burgers, what do you mean?

Also since I’m an Aliens corporate media whore and not buying every piece of licensed tie-in merchandise will cause the shotgun collar around my neck to go off, expect more merchandise/toy photos when I get home. :suicide:

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Get hosed, doing any high school sci-fi play and not having it look like a pile of poo poo is an accomplishment.

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ya im totally sure since 1979 it was a bobs burgers writer who was the first person to think of a theatrical adaptation of Alien, out of all the college writers ever since

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

marijuanamancer posted:

ya im totally sure since 1979 it was a bobs burgers writer who was the first person to think of a theatrical adaptation of Alien, out of all the college writers ever since

Ya I'm equally sure it wasn't :rolleyes:

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you're very good at saying no u and rolling your eyes!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

tbh, I truly don't care. What they did was amazing.

They could have done anything that Andrew Loyd Weber has put out that every single high school in existence has done many times over.

Or they could do a play of one of the best movies ever made that terrifies children's and adult's nightmares alike.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Ya I'm equally sure it wasn't :rolleyes:

why you such a sourpuss man

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

This video is amazing in the sense that it tells us how a lovely rear end school in NJ with no budget has these extremely motivated kids who are dedicated to art. And they had almost zero budget so they scrounged poo poo from recycling to make these costumes that make B movies look like poo poo.

I'm not sure I'm convinced they had almost no budget. It's just too good.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RossMan4Life
Dec 18, 2002

by R. Guyovich
Watched Predators, easily the best in that series next to the original. Starts strong, but makes some missteps in the second half.