Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who should have won All-Stars?
This poll is closed.
Monet X Change 17 12.41%
Trinity the Tuck 36 26.28%
club96 84 61.31%
Total: 137 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

esperterra posted:

She oozed charisma and confidence imo, even in her single busted episode of season 2.

I mean that's how I feel about her now, but I don't want to retcon anything...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Propaganda Machine posted:

I mean that's how I feel about her now, but I don't want to retcon anything...

I mean, she definitely left as lasting impression on me when season 2 was airing. I was really excited when she returned.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
I'm also bitter about DRT :(

Vanda and Bandit were my favorites, and while I can accept Bandit not getting through, Vanda deserved to 100%

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

esperterra posted:

e: iirc she was also only asked back after she ended up sending in another audition tape for 3, whereas w/ vanjie i imagine she was just asked back after she blew up

But didn't Ru give a really foreshadowing sashay message, like "I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of you" or something? Seems a little on the nose to have been a coincidence.

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Wake up and smell the psychosis!\

big black turnout posted:

We had the same favourites! :(

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
Shangela coming back was probably a combination of things: Her ridiculous charisma, her being good enough to be on the show after three months of doing drag plus the year of Drag Race booking money (though not quite as much as it is now, it was still more than a year-into-drag queen would be getting circa 2010), plus just genuinely being an interesting entertainer.

gandlethorpe posted:

But didn't Ru give a really foreshadowing sashay message, like "I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of you" or something? Seems a little on the nose to have been a coincidence.

"Shangela. You have only just begun. But I have a feeling... we haven't seen the last of you yet. Good luck, my dear."
I dunno, it's so generic that it could have meant a few different things.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

curiousTerminal posted:

"Shangela. You have only just begun. But I have a feeling... we haven't seen the last of you yet. Good luck, my dear."
I dunno, it's so generic that it could have meant a few different things.

Yeah, I feel like it's a coincidence. It's the same sentiment Ru sends a lot of the girls off with, and while she obvs made an impression on Ru and the producers, I can't see them being so sure about bringing a queen back already, after less than a week of filming the season. Like they would have had to made the decision on the spot after deliberations. Possible but imo not the most likely.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Miss Shangie...Miss Shaaangie...

:tinfoil:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I need these queens making their own stuff soon as it's kinda not the same without them struggling to piece something together. The whole fun of the old seasons was seeing what they pieced together under the intense pressure. It almost feels like "cheating" as they are all told exactly what to bring and what the themes will be.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

I need these queens making their own stuff soon as it's kinda not the same without them struggling to piece something together. The whole fun of the old seasons was seeing what they pieced together under the intense pressure. It almost feels like "cheating" as they are all told exactly what to bring and what the themes will be.

This should be a show for talented people, not people who know how to buy loving shoes.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Vintersorg posted:

This show is absolutely at its peak during the creative challenges. I am SO looking forward to this week's episode. Not only a ball, but a SPOOKY ball? Oh poo poo yes

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

I miss a full half the drat challenges being "hey here's fabric and hot glue HAVE FUN"

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?

Vanda and Bandit were my favorites, and while I can accept Bandit not getting through, Vanda deserved to 100%

Yeah, I'm really :psyduck: over that top 3. Angele pretty much has to win, right?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

warez posted:

Yeah, I'm really :psyduck: over that top 3. Angele pretty much has to win, right?

I mean...it's a wildcard. Kana was absolutely going home unless she turned it, which she did. Kana can do great when she hits. Angele has won a shitload of challenges, though.

I don't get Kandy Zyanide but she came back and murdered challenges.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

New preview up: https://www.facebook.com/rupaulsdragrace/videos/580910192409357/

Nyasss, another ball with 33 total looks!

Rofl, everyone ululating for Mercedes, except Vanjie going "YAHYAHYAHYAH".

Ra'jah's growing on me, even if just for her lively-if-messy confessionals.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

gandlethorpe posted:

New preview up: https://www.facebook.com/rupaulsdragrace/videos/580910192409357/

Nyasss, another ball with 33 total looks!

Ra'jah's growing on me, even if just for her lively-if-messy confessionals.

Ra'jahs growing on me and Yvie's steadily getting on my nerves. She needs to mind her business.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I love the new trend of doing a ball challenge early in the season.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

I was also really surprised that Angele took the lipsync over Vanda. She was messy and the gimmicks didn't fit the song, imo, but I'm not mad to see her in the final 3. I just would trade Kandy for Vanda. Vanda didn't deserve to be below Kandy this episode. Bandit has also been a fav of mine since the beginning, but I don't feel like he was robbed.

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.

gandlethorpe posted:

This sent me.

I'm glad the queens have stopped loving the producers and started loving each other because now it adds to the episodes.

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

Catching up on DRT and can we just take a minute to enjoy how goddamn adorable the elderly-exercise maxichallenge in episode 10 was? A bunch of golden oldies clapping and dancing with drag queens in the park and giving them little heart stickers. :kimchi:

I haven't gotten to her elimination yet, but Vanda's still my girl :colbert:

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
So what do we think is going on with Drag Race that this season is kind of lackluster so far?

I suspect that Ru and World of Wonder believe that they have a well oiled machine after over a decade at it. I think they simply gotten lazy but now have a bigger budget.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Whalley posted:

I'm still thinking about "I'm a cool dad"

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Nihonniboku posted:

So what do we think is going on with Drag Race that this season is kind of lackluster so far?

I suspect that Ru and World of Wonder believe that they have a well oiled machine after over a decade at it. I think they simply gotten lazy but now have a bigger budget.

i think there's a degree of apathetic-ness going on, but by and large this season so far, and season 10, have been pretty good i think. both casts have been fun, and the ridiculous shennanigans of all-star seasons are left where they are.

the main issue that really, really needs addressing is the awful writing in the comedy sketches. if they're not going to lean on sewing challenges as much, spend the time making sure the sketches aren't utterly abysmal. or give the queens more scope to ad-lib without coming down on them with half-assed "direction".

i think another issue is that the sort of 'sacrosanct' nature of drag race to a lot of the younger queens means that it's hard to find cast who waltz through it like Willam. there's also so much concern over how they're perceived, how they can use the show to launch their career, that everything feels very calculated and safe. that's why The Vixen was terrific, and why Pearl getting salty at Ru was great, and why Asia getting slapped by Ru was a great moment: poo poo like that feels real.

also Ru spending any degree of face-time with the queens in the workroom is always a welcome treat, so could have more of that?

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

jfc raja yeah Yvie is wearing trash and still looks better than you

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Nihonniboku posted:

See I think this season is fantastic, the best in years, and that seems to be the general consensus of the internet fanbase.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Youth Decay posted:

See I think this season is fantastic, the best in years, and that seems to be the general consensus of the internet fanbase.

Last episode was so bad that for the first time since I started watching drag race, I have no desire to watch the episode that's airing like right now. This season has some good queens but gently caress it honestly, I am having a hard time caring

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

This episode is going to be just the Workroom Walkthru, the Runway, and judging. Right? That would rule.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Whalley posted:

Last episode was so bad that for the first time since I started watching drag race, I have no desire to watch the episode that's airing like right now. This season has some good queens but gently caress it honestly, I am having a hard time caring

you are missing some choice drama

BOOTYHOLE

e: Toilet tissue to the runway! Dollar Tree to the runway! Charmin to the runway!

Youth Decay fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 29, 2019

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Youth Decay posted:

e: Toilet tissue to the runway! Dollar Tree to the runway! Charmin to the runway!

:pcgaming::dance::pcgaming:

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

I cannot wait for this season's reading challenge oh my god

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
33 looks but nothing that sickening.

Top: Plastique/Scarlet/A'keria?

Bottom: Silky/Shuga/Ariel?

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Ariel gonna openly weep on stage

Good.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

This judging is some bullshit. A'keria and Scarlet were robbed, Plastique should not be high, Vanjie should be low.

Vortex Street
Oct 23, 2010

I walked right out of the machinery
Bulllllshiiiiitery. Nina, Scarlet, and A’keria should have been the top three.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Youth Decay posted:

This judging is some bullshit. A'keria and Scarlet were robbed, Plastique should not be high, Vanjie should be low.

Vortex Street posted:

Bulllllshiiiiitery. Nina, Scarlet, and A’keria should have been the top three.

Scarlet should have been high, Plastique should have been safe, and Vanjie should have been low.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Plastique looked great and Scarlet was a meh from me. idk what yall are on about for that.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Yeah I liked Plastique’s looks. Silky could have been in the bottom but hard to argue with that bottom two.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

I was legitimately confused when they started critiquing Shuga. Yeah, the first look was awful, but her witch made me gasp. Her last one was ok enough to be safe. Silky was more deserving of the bottom.

I thought Yvie was one of the bottoms for her last look, and you could make an argument that the first one wasn't sexy enough. But then they were showering her with praise, though not undeservedly. Her banter with the judges was pretty great.

Brooke Lynn winning another design challenge AND more vacation prizes? I wonder if she's really gonna bring Vanjie.

Though I think Plastique hit the themes best out of that top 3. Brooke probably won based on her ballet moves, while Plastique is getting the typical "no personality pretty girl" critique.

On retrospect, Scarlet was robbed.

gandlethorpe fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Mar 29, 2019

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

A’keria’s pep talk to Ariel during untucked made me tear up; she’s incredible and I’m glad that we’ll get to see more of her this season.

Brooke’s win was hugely deserved, Silky shoulda lipsynced, and Elvira is truly a Queen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

For a "monster ball" the looks are kinda oddly... generic. Brooke was the most competent of the bunch, but even then she was more of a safe win pick than anything. I thought her last look was well-made but conceptually just okay. No Sharon Needles in this bunch.

And speaking of which, Yvie's first two looks were so strong that if she had just come up with something passably good for the third she would've won this challenge, no contest. Pity she bombed the last. If she had pushed the voodoo doll theme more, maybe like put a literal giant button instead of just painting it and paint thread marks all over her body, have giant needles poking out, or wear something formfitting that reads more like a gangly straw doll rather than the random pantsuit...

I thought Scarlet should've at least been high too. I can't actually remember her first two looks, but the swamp-thing getup was at least unique in the sea of "black and/or red dress with vaguely spooky accoutrements"