Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Haha they've done a sneaky update on my farming spot. The spectral nightjar no longer appear after you approach the hill in Ashina Depths :( They're waiting for you making stealth much harder or not really possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Ahahaha I was not prepared for that

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I feel like I'm bashing my head against a brick wall and I haven't even gotten to the first boss yet.

I might have to take a break and come back to this.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
i swear getting to spear hunter whatever and killing the four dudes in the area without alerting him is harder than actually fighting him

i still dont even know how to use ceramic things accurately

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Thumbtacks posted:

i swear getting to spear hunter whatever and killing the four dudes in the area without alerting him is harder than actually fighting him

They’re insanely dumb lol. You’re supposed to throw them at a guy and have him saunter in your direction while you’re stealthed

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Thumbtacks posted:

Don't be afraid to kill a couple and fall back if he sees you. Mini-bosses will go back to their standing point eventually, just like other enemies.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Thumbtacks posted:

Bussamove posted:

Don't be afraid to kill a couple and fall back if he sees you. Mini-bosses will go back to their standing point eventually, just like other enemies.

Yeah, honestly you really shouldn't be so concerned about alerting enemies. Even minibosses are amnesiac and will return to their regular position if you run away. So just charge in there, kill some dudes, then run off again. You don't have to solid snake this poo poo or anything, it's fine.

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Punishing with his kindness
Jacob is perfect
this thread is moving super fast so apologies if I have missed the answer to this,

I'm currently stuck on a Blazing Bull fight that's breaking my brain. Is there anywhere else I can go, have I missed some side areas earlier.

for note, I have cleared out Hirata and killed Lady Butterfly. I'm wondering if I missed some interesting branching paths earlier in the game, because I'm terrible at exploring etc.

update - no longer stuck on Blazing Bull. Turns out all you have to do is ride his butt big time, chasing him around in circles and chomping him around.

Banjodark fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Mar 27, 2019

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Ok, might need some advice for the second half of Guardian Ape. I know I can use the fan shield to avoid the terror effect but I am having a hard time finding any decent openings to chip away at his vitality so I can actually get somewhere on his posture.

Am I just not being aggressive enough?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Skypie posted:

Ok, might need some advice for the second half of Guardian Ape. I know I can use the fan shield to avoid the terror effect but I am having a hard time finding any decent openings to chip away at his vitality so I can actually get somewhere on his posture.

Parry his big overhead, that makes him stumble and gives you a big opening to wail on him. For extra big huge posture damage, use the spear prosthetic and R2+R2 while he's down.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Skypie posted:

One of his combos ends with a big overhead slam. Deflect that to give you time to beat on him. Otherwise stay at mid range, block his combos and wait for an opening to get some swipes in.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

Skypie posted:

If you want any real openings you're just gonna have to get parrying I'm afraid. He turns fast enough that sticking behind him isn't always reliable. His sword can potentially miss you if you're standing like point blank on him so there is that. But unfortunately parrying him, especially parrying/dodging the big sword slam is about it as far as big openings go.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
These shield fuckers can eat my rear end goddamnit

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Alan Smithee posted:

These shield fuckers can eat my rear end goddamnit

Use the ax my dude

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Thanks from

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

“How do I use the axe?”

“Oh if you read the item description it’ll tell you to jump on a secret ledge and climb a mountain and then talk to a dragon”

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

God drat CM wasn't easy. Took me ten tries at least plus a few where the sneak attack didn't work :/

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Alan Smithee posted:

“How do I use the axe?”

“Oh if you read the item description it’ll tell you to jump on a secret ledge and climb a mountain and then talk to a dragon”

You just hit people with it

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

JBP posted:

You just hit people with it

Question about the arm, there’s three slots so if you equip all three how do you know which one is loaded

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Alan Smithee posted:

Question about the arm, there’s three slots so if you equip all three how do you know which one is loaded

Says on the screen, bottom right. Change with triangle.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Steve2911 posted:

Says on the screen, bottom right. Change with triangle.

Ah my pc still thinks the ds4 is an Xbox for some reason

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Zaphod42 posted:

But the way you beat bosses in this game is always by comboing enough attacks and deflects to break their posture, and then do a big deathstab. Usually twice. So its all about getting that posture break. As a result, the "battle of attrition" strategy of whittling a boss down with paper cuts is completely non-viable in this game. You've just gotta learn the boss well enough you can build up to that posture break. The better you are at avoiding, deflecting and hitting that boss, the faster you can get that posture break. (Speed runs of this game are gonna look crazy)

That's not actually true. You can also trigger a Deathblow just by lowering their Vitality like a normal game, and also lowering their vitality will prevent their posture from recovering anyway. So a battle of attrition is technically a viable strategy if you can somehow survive long enough.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
idk I remember meeting an NPC who told me to go get the ax and gently caress fools up with it, so I found it and then when I saw dudes with big woods shields that I couldn't do poo poo against I figured that axes are good at loving up wood and the game had been pointing me in that direction, so that was that

Plus you already had found and gone through the process of creating at least one prosthetic at that point, so crafting and equipping it shouldn't have been an issue

FROM can be pretty esoteric but I thought the definitely nudged me the right way there.

Isn't there also a tool tip that tells you to use the ax against the shields? Or maybe it's just in the load screens?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Extremely simple 'how do I advance' question. Just-after-castle. Many questions, I suppose.

abandoned dungeon. I can get to the underground waterway and then it takes me up to the temple. I've gone through this area twice. I assume there's more to it since it has a whole area devoted to it in the selection screen. In fact people say the game opens up after the castle but I don't see it yet. I just see the 'advance through temple' path.

-haven't killed lady butterfly or purple swordsman, or 7-spear man. IDK if there's any progression beyond lady butterfly or spear man, but it looks like no?
-have gone through the castle to the lake/pond and to the monkeys, and activated the bonfire there 'great serpent shrine' and can't get further. It looks like there's nothing else there.
-went down from the stairway pre-castle to the headless, died. I didn't see anything useful there.
-went through the castle / dungeon to the temple. Killed the armored swordsman guy after like 10? tries (hardest boss so far). Found demon bell and the headless there. Progressed more, saw the voldo boss, I suppose I'll try him next.
-Found black hat guy in the castle, and the other merchant. Bought all their poo poo.
-found tengu guy, did his quest. Found stuff in the attic there.

EDIT:
-also I suppose I could advance right up the stairs in the castle towards a general guy, directly below the fire nightjar/screaming-flying guys.

Another question: I killed the snake beforethe castle but thought I'd just wounded him or something. I ran away. Did he drop anything useful?

redreader fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Mar 27, 2019

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

Also burning through more than one revive on an okay-ish attempt is a lot easier when you need more than 2 deathblows to win!

I still think Genichiro is a load of poo poo, for what is likely to be either the 2nd or 3rd boss most people fight

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Yo

Whoever suggested the spear for this boss

gently caress you, that's nightmare inducing

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
This game rules, I'm dying so loving much but each time I feel like I'm getting better, finally a Souls game that makes me feel the way DS1 did :D

also

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Since I’m still early game what’s the first thing I should launder my money into? Spirit charm thingies seem like a waste and It’s all I can buy

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Alan Smithee posted:

Since I’m still early game what’s the first thing I should launder my money into? Spirit charm thingies seem like a waste and It’s all I can buy

Don't worry, you'll lose and make a ton more money later. For now, sure put money into those if you'd lose it otherwise. There's a merchant after the first OPTIONAL miniboss.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Well thats back to back snake-eyes kills. They werent so bad, just had to play more defensive.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Also definitely bank all your sen into spirit emblems unless you know you want to buy something, itll help if you ever run into a difficult boss where you waste a lot of them

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Speaking of axe how much damage does it do? It’s wind up is so long the bosses just block it

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Alan Smithee posted:

They get more expensive and it's better than losing your money to death. Also buy money bags from the first merchant you meet. That's useful and I regret losing loads of cash rather than entering an investment scheme.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

JBP posted:

They get more expensive and it's better than losing your money to death. Also buy money bags from the first merchant you meet. That's useful and I regret losing loads of cash rather than entering an investment scheme.

JBP posted:

“Why would I buy money bags with money”

Omg I’m an idiot

I don’t remember if the description tells you exactly how much is in the bag. What’s the laundering fee like

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

redreader posted:

Extremely simple 'how do I advance' question. Just-after-castle. Many questions, I suppose.

abandoned dungeon. I can get to the underground waterway and then it takes me up to the temple. I've gone through this area twice. I assume there's more to it since it has a whole area devoted to it in the selection screen. In fact people say the game opens up after the castle but I don't see it yet. I just see the 'advance through temple' path.

-haven't killed lady butterfly or purple swordsman, or 7-spear man. IDK if there's any progression beyond lady butterfly or spear man, but it looks like no?
-have gone through the castle to the lake/pond and to the monkeys, and activated the bonfire there 'great serpent shrine' and can't get further. It looks like there's nothing else there.
-went down from the stairway pre-castle to the headless, died. I didn't see anything useful there.
-went through the castle / dungeon to the temple. Killed the armored swordsman guy after like 10? tries (hardest boss so far). Found demon bell and the headless there. Progressed more, saw the voldo boss, I suppose I'll try him next.
-Found black hat guy in the castle, and the other merchant. Bought all their poo poo.
-found tengu guy, did his quest. Found stuff in the attic there.

EDIT:
-also I suppose I could advance right up the stairs in the castle towards a general guy, directly below the fire nightjar/screaming-flying guys.

Another question: I killed the snake beforethe castle but thought I'd just wounded him or something. I ran away. Did he drop anything useful?

Talking to the npc at the top of the castle will give you tips on where to go next.

Assuming you mean the purple swordsman in the Ashina resevoir / prologue starting area, yes there is progression behind him.
You can jump across and go down from the great serpent shrine
Yes keep progressing past the armored knight.
The general at the top of the stairs just leads to the castle then behind the castle which is where the great serpent shrine is. You have to come from the back to open the door though.
You didn't kill the snake.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

Speaking of axe how much damage does it do? It’s wind up is so long the bosses just block it

It does fuckall damage, thats not why its amazing

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

Omg I’m an idiot

I don’t remember if the description tells you exactly how much is in the bag. What’s the laundering fee like

The bags cost 10% more than the amount of sen they provide. It’s really a good idea to buy them to save cash in the long run.

E: also wow that DomPom guy is really angry at video games and also really racist.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

Omg I’m an idiot

110gold per bag worth 100.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So where exactly do i go after Ogre? From what i see either Go down and die to Headless or go die to Lady Butterfly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The Shame Boy posted:

So where exactly do i go after Ogre? From what i see either Go down and die to Headless or go die to Lady Butterfly

Go forward to the broken bridge, then go down on your left.