Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

redreader posted:

So the night before last when I was done playing I made a post and then deleted it by mistake, basically saying, I'm (probably midgame by now) only dying like 3 times max per boss, apart from the 3 I skipped and will come back to later (lady b, 7 spears, purple swordsman). This game is sort of easy for a From game! AND THEN I met Armored swordsman and then Voldo. Armored swordsman killed me like 10 times because I'm a scrub. Voldo (centipede man) killed me at least 3 times and I've got nowhere against him so far. I thought I had purple swordsman (estate or starting pit) sorted out too because I almost got him staggered a couple of nights ago, but I tried again last night about 3 more times and wasn't able to kill him. I also died like a loving idiot to the tougher nightjar people in the temple area
So I'm eating some humble pie here.

Progression question:

I got to the top of the temple and it looks like it's all for a text? I didn't kill voldo centipede guy yet though. I was very suspicious just before I got to the text when I saw all of the mummies, and then the one purple mummy. I thought he'd be a boss or something. Am I done with that area once I kill voldo?

if you haven't yet confronted the boss at the top of ashina castle, then yeah, once you get the esoteric text and speak to the meditating monk in the main hall then you're finished for now. you'll come back later to wrap up the zone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Jose posted:

I just want an item from him

he might be in Great Serpent Shrine

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i've got a great serpent shrine, it's called my pants hahaha am i right fellas

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Flavahbeast posted:

he might be in Great Serpent Shrine

i met him there last night

it sort of owns that the leader of ashina is a 100-year old man who likes to put on a silly mask and go out murdering his political enemies

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

RoboCicero posted:

I beat the horse boss recently and started wondering where the purple guy was. I thought it was the miniboss with the giant spear, but no, guy was wearing white, not purple.

Turns out I accidentally skipped the purple guy, and the purple guy is a huge rear end in a top hat.

"hey, look at me, i'm playing footsie with the air! haha, how zany. anyway bye idiot, here's your entire health bar gone"

Uh, where is purple guy? Did I miss him?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Its funny that this game is called Sekiro and in real life people call the main character Sekiro but in the game nobody calls him that except one dude who just makes it up as a joke.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it's like how the metroid is the main character of metroid

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Pwnstar posted:

Its funny that this game is called Sekiro and in real life people call the main character Sekiro but in the game nobody calls him that except one dude who just makes it up as a joke.
I posted the explanation for it a few pages ago. Sekiro comes from seki-, meaning "half of a pair," and -rou, meaning wolf.

His name is wolf and he's half of one, 'cause he's only got one arm.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm one of the posters who was posting very anxiously about the fact that I wouldn't be able to co-op summon in this game and so wouldn't be able to handle the bosses. Well, it's been quite an experience so far, because every new boss encounter has this ominous "this is it, this is as far as I go in this game" feeling to it at first. Well I'm still in the early game but I'm no longer as sure that the game is going to be as impossible to finish as I thought. The rhythm of the game has begun to really click for me, the back and forth exchanges no longer feel chaotic, I feel in control. Took down Lady Butterfly last night and that's a fight that felt impossible when I first attempted it a few days ago(so impossible that I just moved on to other areas). Genichiro beat me pretty good last night but already after only 3 attempts I feel like I have a pretty good handle on his moveset. I feel confident I can take him down.

The crazy thing is that I think the Longarm Centipede miniboss is the encounter that really did it for me, as dumb as that sounds. The game presents you this extreme simplification of the parry system(basically just parry like 10 blows in a row rapid fire), but it was a really effective way of hammering this idea into my stubborn brain that wait a second, yea I can literally just hit the parry button 10 times in a row and parry an entire combo right back into the bosses face. Once that clicked, I became comfortable with that and moved onto learning how to mix a dodge or mikri counter in when necessary(which the same very easy mini-boss also teaches you) and I was off to the races. After having that "breakthrough" I then went off and beat the purple ninja and Lady Butterfly back to back in only a few attempts.

And I know I"m not very far into the game yet but at this point I already feel like I've got my money's worth out of it. Much like how I played Dark Souls for like 2 months before ever touching Anor Londo.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Martian Manfucker posted:

Late-game spoilers: So Ashina is burning and I decided to take a detour to see what was going on in the outskirts and after fighting my way through literal hell and a million Interior Ministry soldiers I reach an idol. And well, now I know why I have to do my own sculpting in the Dilapidated Shrine. Poor Sculptor. He's a Shura now.

I wish I hadn't hosed up my first playthrough and gotten the bad ending because this is all so loving hard on NG+.

hes hard without ng+ too!

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
dynasty warriors is not samurai or ninjas. they're all chinese, not japanese

this isnt even relevant anymore but i wanted to say it

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

redreader posted:

So the night before last when I was done playing I made a post and then deleted it by mistake, basically saying, I'm (probably midgame by now) only dying like 3 times max per boss, apart from the 3 I skipped and will come back to later (lady b, 7 spears, purple swordsman). This game is sort of easy for a From game! AND THEN I met Armored swordsman and then Voldo. Armored swordsman killed me like 10 times because I'm a scrub. Voldo (centipede man) killed me at least 3 times and I've got nowhere against him so far. I thought I had purple swordsman (estate or starting pit) sorted out too because I almost got him staggered a couple of nights ago, but I tried again last night about 3 more times and wasn't able to kill him. I also died like a loving idiot to the tougher nightjar people in the temple area
So I'm eating some humble pie here.

Progression question:

I got to the top of the temple and it looks like it's all for a text? I didn't kill voldo centipede guy yet though. I was very suspicious just before I got to the text when I saw all of the mummies, and then the one purple mummy. I thought he'd be a boss or something. Am I done with that area once I kill voldo?

Tip for the soul calibur reject with the silly animals name:

dude’s posture is very fragile. Take advantage of that by realizing that his main claw flurry attack always has the same rhythm: 1-2-3-4, 1-2-3-4-5, 1. Deflect those, jump over his sweep, disembowel him in two minutes tops.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Pwnstar posted:

The last boss calls you Sekiro.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Okay the sculptor coughing blood is making me worried :( I read the thread title but I’m still panicking! I shouldn’t be doing something right now ASAP to avoid perma-loving my game, correct?

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

s.i.r.e. posted:

Indeed

Man really wish I'd read the descriptions for the prosthetics I wasn't planning to upgrade into. Umbrella and finger upgraded versions sound super (situationally) useful

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

areyoucontagious posted:

Okay the sculptor coughing blood is making me worried :( I read the thread title but I’m still panicking! I shouldn’t be doing something right now ASAP to avoid perma-loving my game, correct?

It is impossible to lose anything permanently via dragonrot

Also the sculptor tells you himself he can't die from it

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

s.i.r.e. posted:

:thunk:

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The most important name to remember is GYOUBU MASATAKA ONIWA!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

actually it's that idiot samurai who runs up in an open field and gets himself butchered by like 10 enemies and a drunken giant with a huge sword in a nanosecond, you know, ol' whats-his-name

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

dyzzy posted:

Indeed

Man really wish I'd read the descriptions for the prosthetics I wasn't planning to upgrade into. Umbrella and finger upgraded versions sound super (situationally) useful

I'm finding the finger upgrade nice for this last hidden boss that's burning my rear end up.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
What do the bell-ringers do?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

finger nice up burning rear end, got it

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
LOL IRL at the unironic "This game is pretty easy... accept for all the bosses i've skipped..."

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
They called me kingfisher

*sniff*

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Cowcaster posted:

actually it's that idiot samurai who runs up in an open field and gets himself butchered by like 10 enemies and a drunken giant with a huge sword in a nanosecond, you know, ol' whats-his-name

Nogami Gensai. He stood with the Ashina when they claimed this land.

I just did that fight in NG+ and forgot about him and after the fight he comes running out screaming his battle cry and then he like slowly looks around and is like "hmm I guess there's nobody here." I laughed.

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Cowcaster posted:

Has anyone managed to beat this encounter with Samurai Jenkins still alive at the end? I came very close but he got hit one last time just before I deathblowed the drunkard - makes me wonder if he definitely must die during the battle or if there's some reward for keeping him standing.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Can you get the Senpou Arts skills before fighting Genichro Ashina?

It's crazy how many places you can go to before fighting that boss. Seems I've covered a large majority of the map.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Cowcaster posted:

finger nice up burning rear end, got it

Finger all the beasties. Really wish I had this for the double trouble in the cave.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

Look Sir Droids posted:

Uh, where is purple guy? Did I miss him?

I forget the name of the checkpoint but there's one in the first memory right before the burning Hirata Estate -- there's a river you can dive into after grappling from the idol. Swimming up past the bridge onto a small alcove reveals a passage blocked off with bamboo you can cut down (or just walk through, it's just bamboo). Past that point is Purple Guy.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
are there tons of centipedes and worms in this game?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

theblackw0lf posted:

Can you get the Senpou Arts skills before fighting Genichro Ashina?

It's crazy how many places you can go to before fighting that boss. Seems I've covered a large majority of the map.

Yeah you can

cargo cult posted:

Yeah there are

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003

untzthatshit posted:

Has anyone managed to beat this encounter with Samurai Jenkins still alive at the end? I came very close but he got hit one last time just before I deathblowed the drunkard - makes me wonder if he definitely must die during the battle or if there's some reward for keeping him standing.

He says "I'm pretty tired, you go on ahead" and I haven't seen him since.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

cargo cult posted:

well, I mean, there are plenty of places with none, at least as far as I've gotten... but there's a good chunk, yeah

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

untzthatshit posted:

yes, he just dies anyway

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Cowcaster posted:

Wait, that guy can actually show up while the enemies are still there? I've never seen him pop up before I had already killed Boozebreath.

e: He never dies for me either. He just shows up alive and then I can talk to him.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

Wait, that guy can actually show up while the enemies are still there? I've never seen him pop up before I had already killed Boozebreath.

e: He never dies for me either. He just shows up alive and then I can talk to him.

He's standing right there the entire time

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

cargo cult posted:

No, they're only in a single area from what I can remember but they're pretty abundant there.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

does he actually do anything? I only noticed him after actually beating the boss and he didn't have anything to say that I remember

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

World War Mammories posted:

does he actually do anything? I only noticed him after actually beating the boss and he didn't have anything to say that I remember

He fights with you... poorly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

The enemies in The fountainhead suck so much, jesus christ.