Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

along the way posted:

I feel like I'm never going to be able to complete the game with every new mini boss I encounter.

I keep pushing on anyway, because the feeling of satisfaction from overcoming the challenges in this game is unbelievable.

I know, right? The first samurai general guy was SO satisfying to kill. But like, lol he's probably basically the Black Knight equivalent in this game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Popular Human posted:

Pretty obvious from context he flamed out on Mr G. I’m wondering if that’s going to be the point where a lot of people throw in the towel: there’s a BIG drop in the trophy percentages between people who beat him and people who beat LB. I’m curious how the completion percent eventually stacks up compared to the Souls games.

I'm confused about what is so much harder about this game for people compared to the souls games. I loved souls, but Sekiro combat feel way more intuitive and responsive.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The real question is why the article's author thinks anybody cares that he is not going to finish Sekiro

Oh no, Sekiro doesn't fall within the preferred gaming tastes of Shaun Prescott. Darn. How can I go on living.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The Kingfish posted:

I'm confused about what is so much harder about this game for people compared to the souls games. I loved souls, but Sekiro combat feel way more intuitive and responsive.

Tons of people play Souls games in the most boring, safe manner possible— turtled up behind a shield or throwing spells all day so they’re never even near the boss. I used to be one of them! Then I took my shield off and never put it back on again. :getin:

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

SHISHKABOB posted:

I know, right? The first samurai general guy was SO satisfying to kill. But like, lol he's probably basically the Black Knight equivalent in this game?

They are closer to Berenike Knights lol.

I wish they would respawn so I could just kill them over and over again.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Do I need a special blocking technique or powerup for juzou? He is randomly unblockable on his basic swings and has a 180° hit arc on his overhead slams so that I've been killed several times by his forward slam while behind his left ankle. I've wasted multiple NPC's of dragonrot now on him from his "nah you're hit anyway lol" bullshit.

Kill the poo poo out of all the mooks, then run and hide until you lose him. Once he goes back sneak in through the side, get your first deathblow. Run back to the npc and have him take the brunt of the attacks while you backstab the fat gently caress. Should be able to get his second life.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The Kingfish posted:

Turns out other people are not exactly like you and may not find the same kinds of things intuitive!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

The Kingfish posted:

I made some posts on this when the subject of discussion in this thread was centered around RPG elements in games, but I think a large part of it is that Sekiro does not let you lean on strength-enhancing upgrades to nearly the same degree. There are no stats for you improve, no Titanite or souls to grind for making your weapons do more damage. Upgrades and ninja tools add options, not strength. You are as strong as you are and a battle is as difficult as it is. What real strength upgrades exist are gated behind progress, not time spent grinding. You either find a way to cope or you don't.

The combat in Sekiro is a lot easier in some ways exactly because it's so responsive and you're so in control of what you do, and when. It is a lot harder in other ways because it relies on, and in fact demands, that you take advantage of this. If you do not have the reflexes, the wherewithal and the sheer stubbornness to work your way through the hurdles by improving your own skills, you're on your own in a way you nearly never are in a Souls game.

I can see why that would not be rewarding to many people and I don't judge the guy for deciding that it's just not for him.

CJacobs posted:

The real question is why the article's author thinks anybody cares that he is not going to finish Sekiro

Oh no, Sekiro doesn't fall within the preferred gaming tastes of Shaun Prescott. Darn. How can I go on living.
I'd be cute about it and say something like "well, someone cared enough to post about it," but seriously. No shame in giving up, but there's no real point in writing an article justifying yourself about it, either.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CJacobs posted:

I clicked on the article thinking maybe it'd be about the value of knowing what you do and don't enjoy, and how a game can be good but just not be For You, but naturally the article is a lot more shallow than that and in retrospect it was stupid of me to hope for more.

There's room for an actually interesting article about games like Sekiro or other "notoriously hard games" like Cuphead exploring what designers can accomplish by making a really challenging game and that it's okay to bounce off it if that just isn't your thing. Not sure anyone's writing that take, though.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

The Kingfish posted:

This game is much faster and requires better reflexes.

I feel like the fan was made specifically for people having trouble with parrying.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 27, 2019

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Struggled more with refight corrupted monk than Owl, couldn't get the backstab to work at the start due to talent not tsjen

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

the real dragonrot is the friends we made along the way

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Just getting started and I think the games vertically might be ruining me, I zip along the map passing by loads of enemies who will eventually rush on me en masse when I inevitably raise the alarm.

The first enemy I killed was apparently a special mob that gave me a seed and a bead.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

The Kingfish posted:

Stokes posted:

I'm coming to terms with the fact that I really don't like this game as much as FROMs other games and a big reason is that bosses are just Ninja Guitar Hero where you either 100% or 0% the song.

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!
This lady fuckface fight sucks. I keep losing sight of her on the camera and i keep losing target lock.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Oxxidation posted:

centipedes in japanese mythology are manifestations of spiritual defilement, so From in general and Sekiro in particular is all aboard the creepy-crawly train
that reminds me, it's gonna be a lot of fun to unpack all the symbolism in this game

at least this time they weren't subtle about all the Buddhist influence :pram:

(un)related: I stumbled upon where they probably got the design for the Illusive Hall Bell

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
It's a lot harder and you can't summon helpers. Also almost as important but overlooked is that you can't BE summoned either - so there's no way to practice repeatedly against a more easily distracted version of the boss (which also conveniently powerlevels you to make the boss even easier).

I'm one of those people who always does the sunbro covenant in Souls games and spends hours helping people beat bosses, so it kind of bums me out that I can't shepherd players through some of the crazier boss fights.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Caros posted:

Kill the poo poo out of all the mooks, then run and hide until you lose him. Once he goes back sneak in through the side, get your first deathblow. Run back to the npc and have him take the brunt of the attacks while you backstab the fat gently caress. Should be able to get his second life.

Well, I can get him all on his own just by standing next to the rock in front of the first room on the left of the arena; only he notices me and comes out for a fight. Buuut he notices me instantly if I try to go for a backstab when he loses interest and turns around. He also somehow keeps insta-stomping me into an unstoppable slash combo from nowhere if I touch his right foot and catches me min midair with his 180 super sumo punches. Dude tracks like a DS2 boss. Whatever, just killed horsehaver and unlocked attack power upgrades so I'll come back later

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Struggled more with refight corrupted monk than Owl, couldn't get the backstab to work at the start due to talent not tsjen

you can do a leaping deathblow on her if you go to the highest branch farthest from where you enter during the misty black phantom attacks after the first health bar

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bussamove posted:

Tons of people play Souls games in the most boring, safe manner possible— turtled up behind a shield or throwing spells all day so they’re never even near the boss. I used to be one of them! Then I took my shield off and never put it back on again. :getin:

Maybe the most insufferable hill that I'm willing to die on is "there can be a wrong way to play a game, even if the game lets you or even encourages you to play that way."

I think my big thing with Souls is that I think the series as a whole never did anything interesting with shields or magic. If there were cool moves you could do with a shield, a perfect blocking system like Sekiro, things like that, I'd like shields a lot more in Souls games. As they are, they just seem like the most boring way possible to play. And while I know there are plenty of people who insist that's how the game is most fun to them, I firmly believe that if shield play had more depth it'd be even more fun for them, and also just make the game better as a whole.

As for magic, I kept wishing for the series to move away from the sorta boring "sit back and shoot blue and yellow lasers that are useless unless you heavily invest in this stat" style of magic and go for something closer to signs in The Witcher series, or even prosthetic tools in Sekiro. Magic as something you can seamlessly weave into melee combat, that provides some utility if you use it baseline but can become a more important part of your play if you invest in it, would be really cool. They could pare down to a smaller spell list but give each spell multiple functions, make offensive spells something that can be woven into a combo, things like that.

Weirdly, Sekiro, despite having notably different combat from Souls, provides a pretty good template for how to make blocking a fun part of combat. If there's ever another Souls game (or something closer to Souls than Sekiro is), I hope that whatever shields there are will have more going on for them than just being a wall you can hide behind as long as you have stamina.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I like the game a lot but one big departure from Souls is that those games spread difficulty across both exploration and boss fights. Some zones and new enemy types are tough the first time you see them and some bosses are intentionally easier than others by a good margin. By contrast, exploring and killing regular guys in Sekiro is trivial while nearly all bosses are, if not super hard, at least fairly tough. I can see why that puts people off.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
One positive consequence of no more online multiplayer is that opening the menu can (and does) now pause the game. Which is a huge big deal because you can adjust your loadout on the fly to deal with whatever you are facing.

It's still a shame that there's no co-op though, I could take or leave PvP and that's coming from someone who spent a few hundred hours in the blood arena in DS2.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

So I figured out what might be my (and other people's issues with Sekiro: The game also requires a level of concentration that is beyond what most people play.

Personally, I'm only good at it for about 2-3 hours and then I'm done for the day. It's not SUPER hard, it's SUPER hard to marathon.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Productive day so far. I'm stupid and left the demon bell on. Took it off and beat LB and General Stairs. Cave Ninja, Spear dude and super fast kill you in two hits tower man are getting me now. I've gotten close on tower dude but he's making me wonder if I am having some lag or something.

And yup...my TV wasn't set to game. I suspect things will get a tad easier from here.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

comingafteryouall posted:

you can do a leaping deathblow on her if you go to the highest branch farthest from where you enter during the misty black phantom attacks after the first health bar

This doesn't work if you have not picked both stealth skills. I've tried around 30 times and couldn't get a deathblow and had to do the fight legit

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

Sapozhnik posted:

It's still a shame that there's no co-op though, I could take or leave PvP and that's coming from someone who spent a few hundred hours in the blood arena in DS2.

I just imagined what the Sekiro equivalent of dickwraithing would look like and a cold chill went down my spine.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Fiery Fool down, now just the last boss I think. Does the "All Bosses Defeated" achievement include all of the smaller mid-bosses?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

The Kingfish posted:

while they gradually sped up (dark souls 3 is basically bloodborne with fantasy aesthetics), the souls games are much, MUCH slower than this; they're much more about RPG-style resource management - how much estus do you have at the boss fog, where have you invested your stats, can you afford this attack stamina-wise - than they are reaction time, and one of the lowkey secrets to dark souls that people who are bad at it never caught on to is that if you play it like sekiro (using the appropriate weapons for a situation rather than making a "build" and seeing how your One Strategy makes some bosses harder than others, being super aggressive rather than reactive), dark souls is actually not a very hard game

sekiro is different, it places a different value on various gamerskillz, and some people just freak out and lose their poo poo when an enemy is attacking them nonstop and not giving them space or time to think (which is one reason that the bosses like capra demon and O+S are the ones that people get stuck on, because they're aggressive by dark souls standards)

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Harrow posted:

Maybe the most insufferable hill that I'm willing to die on is "there can be a wrong way to play a game, even if the game lets you or even encourages you to play that way."

I think my big thing with Souls is that I think the series as a whole never did anything interesting with shields or magic. If there were cool moves you could do with a shield, a perfect blocking system like Sekiro, things like that, I'd like shields a lot more in Souls games. As they are, they just seem like the most boring way possible to play. And while I know there are plenty of people who insist that's how the game is most fun to them, I firmly believe that if shield play had more depth it'd be even more fun for them, and also just make the game better as a whole.

As for magic, I kept wishing for the series to move away from the sorta boring "sit back and shoot blue and yellow lasers that are useless unless you heavily invest in this stat" style of magic and go for something closer to signs in The Witcher series, or even prosthetic tools in Sekiro. Magic as something you can seamlessly weave into melee combat, that provides some utility if you use it baseline but can become a more important part of your play if you invest in it, would be really cool. They could pare down to a smaller spell list but give each spell multiple functions, make offensive spells something that can be woven into a combo, things like that.

Weirdly, Sekiro, despite having notably different combat from Souls, provides a pretty good template for how to make blocking a fun part of combat. If there's ever another Souls game (or something closer to Souls than Sekiro is), I hope that whatever shields there are will have more going on for them than just being a wall you can hide behind as long as you have stamina.

You know you can parry with shields in Dark Souls right?

And an INT fighter that buffs up their weapon is a very viable build. I guess you can't throw a spell in an enemies face like you can with Aard or Igni in Witcher.

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!
I cant do this lady fuckface fight. Maybe I should try and push on and come back later before I uninstall this game.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I think a big difference is i-frames, too. BB and DS3 had pretty drat generous iframes, especially if you were wearing light armor in DS3. I think a lot of people coming over think "Oh this is just like doing no-armor in DS3 I'll just slide right into this sword slas-NOPE". I spent the first few hours getting so salty I couldn't just dodge through swords that went right into my torso.

The change from stamina>posture is also pretty big, as Souls game really hammered in the need to constantly watch your stamina, which huge problems if you let it drain. Your own posture in Sekiro is much easier to manage.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

Thank you

Also did I miss something because there's an area in Fountainhead Palace I still haven't reached to the left of the path to the divine realm.

If you go back to the big stairs that lead up to the superfluous shortcut to the palace grounds idol and run off to the right (facing the lake) you should be able to grapple to a cave area

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

This doesn't work if you have not picked both stealth skills. I've tried around 30 times and couldn't get a deathblow and had to do the fight legit

Oh no poo poo? Looks like those skills weren't a total waste then!

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Alright guys, I have a question and it involves some late game interactions between the divine heir and the divine child

I ate the riceball and now she is eating the snake heart persimmon things but shes locked in her room. I heard reset a couple times but uhh i did that and shes still in there munching and hurting. Do i just progress? I just beat Owl. God save my soul. Do I have to progress?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

one of the lowkey secrets to dark souls that people who are bad at it never caught on to is that if you play it like sekiro (using the appropriate weapons for a situation rather than making a "build" and seeing how your One Strategy makes some bosses harder than others, being super aggressive rather than reactive), dark souls is actually not a very hard game
This is so ridiculously true. It's certainly harder than the average game, or at least more unforgiving of mistakes, but I've played through all of Dark Souls 3 doing literally nothing but two-handing an ultra greatsword and dodging everything - and it was actually less difficult than shield-turtling with a spear in some places.

Once you twig onto what the games expect of you, there is an incredible amount of things you can do to make Soulsborne games easier on yourself. Sekiro lacks a lot of them, which is easily felt in how specifically Soulsborne series veterans tend to bounce off of it in particularly vocal ways.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

The change from stamina>posture is also pretty big, as Souls game really hammered in the need to constantly watch your stamina, which huge problems if you let it drain. Your own posture in Sekiro is much easier to manage.

posture is a huge thing, and I also think enemy posture is one of the reasons people have a hard time (because most of the bosses really do have a ton of health, because you aren't really supposed to deplete their health, which makes posture their functional health - and means that bosses effectively regenerate health if you don't pressure them)

to be honest, I think sekiro is a great game as-is, but I also don't see how giving more tools to subvert that challenge when you get stonewalled by something - summons with some kind of condition to discourage you from just spamming/relying on it, in the way that dark souls forces you to be alive to do it, is one example - would have made it a worse game; miyazaki has said in interviews that the reason soulsborne doesn't have an easy/normal/whatever setting for casual gamers is that he thinks those people would be getting a fundamentally different experience (one that probably seemed like a weaker game, because that challenge is part of the thematic content of the series and it would also make them seem relatively "short" compared to other RPGs), and I respect that, but that kind of prescriptive thing has downsides, and I also think it's okay for people to respond by saying "I'm annoyed by this thing I spent $60 on that I can't see 2/3rds of because it's just too stressful and frustrating"

it's almost like a conflict between artistic intention and the realities of producing consumer entertainment, because almost nothing good is "for everyone", but marketing and publishers absolutely want as many people as possible to buy something regardless of who it's "for"

Baku fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 27, 2019

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Sprinting away from a boss and taking a healing sip is something you can do almost all the time in Sekiro too whereas pretty much the entire combat model of Dark Souls was built around specifically punishing this one action.

Bosses are super aggressive but not super mobile. They do have a few distance-closers but they use them randomly, they're not programmed to immediately use them if you try to create distance.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Harrow posted:

this is all valid, but i think the technical approach/"purity" of the combat isn't as much of a focus in the souls games as it was in bloodborne and especially sekiro. souls is basically a third-person action-oriented dungeon crawler in the style of wizardry or something (complete with trap-riddled hellholes like sen's fortress), and how you make it through the world isn't as important as making it through the world itself and taking in all the hostile grandeur it has to offer. bloodborne is different - the game is a hunt, you are a hunter, and the lore, world, and gameplay all revolve around exterminating everything you can see and soaking in their blood. a long range laser-beam build would run contrary to this; you can supplement yourself with eldritch power, sure, but at the end of the day it's you and your blade versus the slavering hordes

sekiro, as said elsewhere, is more of a straight action game with minor customization in the style of god hand than an action/rpg like its predecessors, so the tighter mechanical focus reflects that. the world itself also also the simplest Fromsoft has done storywise since the Souls series - there's some requisite Buddhist iconography sprinkled throughout, but it doesn't have the obsessive thematic focus of souls (flame, darkness, reincarnation) or bloodborne (blood, eyes, the dichotomy of the bestial and "cosmic"). the world and its plot is more of a way to get you from swordfight to swordfight than their previous efforts

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

The Kingfish posted:

For me personally, it's the dodge. I've never been a shield guy, which is why my Souls experience translated so well into Bloodborne - an iframe is an iframe and learning a boss in Souls was never more difficult than learning "these are the attacks I can dodge through for an opening". And while the dodge in Sekiro still has its function it's not the immediate get out of danger free card that a Souls dodge is, it's more of a parry in its own right and something you use as a response to specific attacks, not every attack. Sekiro is smooth as butter and I "get" the combat system, but I think one of the big stumbling blocks that Souls people are running into is the deceptive elegance of the combat - you have so much fewer tools as you did in Souls but you are expected to use virtually every tool you do have several times for every major battle, often flawlessly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Klisejo posted:

I cant do this lady fuckface fight. Maybe I should try and push on and come back later before I uninstall this game.

Have you passed the outskirts yet? If not go do that. Boss is much easier and you'll be getting a lot of useful stat upgrades soon after.

Plus the map opens up immensely shortly after.