Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
I ate a whole bunch of slightly sprouted mung beans as a snack throughout the day like some kind of god drat hippy and I am going to do it again tomorrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
My girlfriend made some nice lobster ravioli with broccoli tonight, and tomorrow I'm making larb gai sandwiches as a sequel to my waterfall beef sandwich!

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Butter tofu is good

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
Made a poke bowel and it was good

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

bird with big dick posted:

is the frittata under all that other stuff

maybe it's a version without eggs

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

2DCAT posted:

Made a poke bowel and it was good

Your large adult poke bowl looks wonderful

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
I made a spice mix! Based on the Alamo Drafthouse's limited time Volcano Planet popcorn seasoning

5tbsp sundried tomato powder
2tbsp celery salt
2tbsp lime juice powder
1tbsp iodized salt
1tbsp jalapeno powder
1tbsp wasabi powder
1tbsp Worcestershire powder

My version excludes lime juice powder (couldn't find any at the store, forgot to order off amazon) and half the salt, because I used table salt

It smells like Lawry's. Tastes less salty and much spicier than Lawry's. I added a splash of lime with the seasoning on the popcorn I'm testing it on, and it's a very good combination. Next thing to test will be Tilapia.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Doc Walrus posted:

I made a spice mix! Based on the Alamo Drafthouse's limited time Volcano Planet popcorn seasoning

5tbsp sundried tomato powder
2tbsp celery salt
2tbsp lime juice powder
1tbsp iodized salt
1tbsp jalapeno powder
1tbsp wasabi powder
1tbsp Worcestershire powder

My version excludes lime juice powder (couldn't find any at the store, forgot to order off amazon) and half the salt, because I used table salt

It smells like Lawry's. Tastes less salty and much spicier than Lawry's. I added a splash of lime with the seasoning on the popcorn I'm testing it on, and it's a very good combination. Next thing to test will be Tilapia.

That is a fancy spice container.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I wanna put the spice ball up my butt but I know I shouldn’t

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

bird with big dick posted:

I wanna put the spice ball up my butt but I know I shouldn’t

that's how your supposed to carry them with you. Just nice a snug up there then you pop it out for lunch

twoday
May 4, 2005

I went fishing and caught a catfish and made catfish phở, which loving ruled

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

twoday posted:

If you have a coffee grinder and use it to powder spices and don't clean it properly your coffee will taste crazy for a few days

2DCAT posted:

Your spices will be all messed up to as it's impossible to clean the oils of the beans from the grinder

Crakkerjakk posted:

Grinders are cheap. Have two. Or one if you don't drink coffee.

oh ok i know the solution to this one

fill yr grinder with dry rice and grind it to a powder then dump it out

that's how you clean a cheap grinder

ok thanks

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

i made a pizza last night!

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

SHVPS4DETH posted:

oh ok i know the solution to this one

fill yr grinder with dry rice and grind it to a powder then dump it out

that's how you clean a cheap grinder

ok thanks

Do you snort the dry ice powder with a straw or a rolled up dollar bill

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Suplex Liberace posted:

i made a pizza last night!

I need to start making my own pizza but I've been putting off dealing with pizza dough

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

2DCAT posted:

For real? Finding legit, natural poo poo is hard unless you pay $20s&h and it's the thing I miss most in the world :(

Tried making it once... Didn't go so well...

for some reason li hing mui is huge in mexico so you can get it in any gas station in san antonio

it's not called that, and its not like going to a seed store in hilo, but that's what it is

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

big trivia FAIL posted:

thai spicy lemongrass marinaded chicken with these weird steam in bag brussel sprouts that are better than they have any right to be but are infinitely inferior to oven roasted fresh ones

I roasted brussel sprouts in the oven once and noticed everything in my house smelled like roasted brussel sprouts afterward. They get roasted outside on the grill now.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Doc Walrus posted:

Do you snort the dry ice powder with a straw or a rolled up dollar bill

twoday
May 4, 2005

Doc Walrus posted:

I need to start making my own pizza but I've been putting off dealing with pizza dough

I usually just buy a piece from a pizzeria if I'm feeling half-lazy

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

I use kenjis foolproof pan pizza dough and its long but stupid easy and stupid good.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
pizza dough isn't bad if you have a kitchenaide, otherwise i'd just buy it from the store (the dough, not pre-made crusts)

although i did just get some premade crusts that weren't half bad the other day, they were cheap as hell too, like 3.50 for 3 14" crusts.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

Plinkey posted:

pizza dough isn't bad if you have a kitchenaide, otherwise i'd just buy it from the store (the dough, not pre-made crusts)

although i did just get some premade crusts that weren't half bad the other day, they were cheap as hell too, like 3.50 for 3 14" crusts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGRdw81AOho

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I get the herb pizza dough from trader joes bc I'm a lazy piece of poo poo

I have done the serious eats recipe tho and it is lovely. regardless of what I use, it goes into my cast iron at 450-500°F

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

snoo posted:

I get the herb pizza dough from trader joes bc I'm a lazy piece of poo poo

I have done the serious eats recipe tho and it is lovely. regardless of what I use, it goes into my cast iron at 450-500°F

how easy/hard is it to burn the absolute poo poo out of your fingers when you put the dough into the cast iron?

e: nevermind I was thinking of a different site's recipe.

Doc Walrus has issued a correction as of 05:13 on Apr 1, 2019

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I have asbestos fingers but luckily the serious eats recipe just tells me to let the dough rise and spread in the pan before going into the oven :v:

I didn't word my last post right either so my bad. I do sometimes finish it up on the stove if the top is almost too done but the bottom needs a little more crisping

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

cast iron pan pizza is so, so good and i always burn myself so, so badly getting the dough squished in there quickly

twoday
May 4, 2005

I have a pizza stone, and it is really good for crispy dough. However I find it very difficult to move around an uncooked piece of dough with toppings, so what I usually do is throw the dough on the hot pizza stone for a minute or two, just so that it is cooked enough to hold its shape, then take it out and add the sauce and the toppings, and then put it back. I know it’s incorrect but it’s just so much easier

Pretty much just making my own premade crusts

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

i apparently used all of my liquid smoke so i used a bunch of smoked paprika instead

i don't remember where i read to use some oil in a marinade but i do it and i bloom my 'spices' in it as well before adding everything else. i gently heat everything up so all the salt and sugar dissolve, then let it cool while the meat sits in the freezer to partially harden.

as usual the shoprite beef is really nice and i only had about 1 cubic inch of waste

i like to add extra pepper or other spices once i get everything onto the dehydrator. i won't be dehydrating until tomorrow morning :qq:

@ plinkey have you used or had old bay on jerky? is it any good? i'm tempted to sprinkle some on a few pieces for funsies

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Im sure I did at some point, so it was probably pretty unremarkable, it'll probably take a lot of old bay for the flavor to come through.

Give it a try.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Plinkey posted:

Im sure I did at some point, so it was probably pretty unremarkable, it'll probably take a lot of old bay for the flavor to come through.

Give it a try.

i'll sprinkle some on a few pieces. there's a fajita seasoning my husband likes that i put on pieces for him, too

tempted to make this for dinner https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/07/gyudon-japanese-simmered-beef-and-rice-bowl-foolproof.html just need to go buy an onion

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

snoo posted:

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I'm imagining this smell and folks...it's good.

twoday
May 4, 2005

snoo posted:

i'll sprinkle some on a few pieces. there's a fajita seasoning my husband likes that i put on pieces for him, too

tempted to make this for dinner https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/07/gyudon-japanese-simmered-beef-and-rice-bowl-foolproof.html just need to go buy an onion

Gyudon rules but like most Japanese dishes it has few ingredients so the onion is essential

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

good news, i bought several onions

i'm making my own dashi as well :D

twoday
May 4, 2005

time to break out the BIG seaweed

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
every fish, shellfish, lamprey, marine mammal comes in for a HUGE seaweed

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

El_Elegante posted:

every fish, shellfish, lamprey, marine mammal comes in for a HUGE seaweed

hehehehe

a little sad-looking but it tastes nice. i used garlic instead of ginger bc i don't like ginger :ssh:

first time doing soft-boiled eggs, too. i like em

twoday
May 4, 2005

That turned out very well for a first time soft boiled egg, I overcook mine nearly every time

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
I have a Guinness beef stew I made like two weeks ago for the brexit challenge, and I know it’s a little delayed but that seems appropriate. Will post it as soon as I’m done spring skiing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
So many C-SPAM folks make their own beef jerky! I must resist the urge to buy a dehydrator I don't have room for. Also yes, everyone please make an entry for the Brexit Challenge ending May 1st!

twoday posted:

The three rules I propose for the Brexit challenge are

- a single dish
- ingredients which are produced in the UK (if it's questionable please prove it is being manufactured in the UK with a link)
- at least one ingredient must come from a can/tin

Made before may 1st