Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Just finished my first legacy. As Builder.

Seems very strange that the Builder missions start with "upgrade a facility" and "craft an item" and these missions appeared after taking out 10 Plague Hearts and already having built up the Container Fort. :raise:

My strategy for taking out the Plague Hearts is letting off fireworks outside the building then rushing in and throwing several Soda Can Bombs/Pipe Bombs at it. Kills them in less than 10 seconds every time. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Distraction -> Bombs -> Cleanup with guns is pretty much The Formula for plague hearts. It is a good formula. Do not diss The Formula. Do not ignore The Formula.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Plague Hearts are perfect for new recruits. Some snacks, some health and a dagger and you'll come back with a hero. If they die? Who cares!

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Zigmidge posted:

Plague Hearts are perfect for new recruits. Some snacks, some health and a dagger and you'll come back with a hero. If they die? Who cares!

This is unquestionably true.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
The new red talon members you can contract are reallly loving good at killing. They have unique skills that give them combinations of all of the upgraded combat skills. Like they can clear weapons and get gunslingers auto snap.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...
State of Decay 6.0 Patch notes are out: https://support.stateofdecay.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020876052-CU-6-0

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

New patch is good. Like the horde changes for sure, and the wizard van is fun. Game is still a lot of fun, and I am really hoping for a Breakdown mode at some point. I’ll be looking forward to going back to Turnbull Valley next month.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Alright, I think this might be the only game I want to buy the whole winter sale (Since AC:Odyssey refuses to discounts its season pass :argh: ).

I liked SoD a lot despite its flaws. Loved just surviving and looting. Combat was decent, too.

Is there any reason not to get the ultimate edition? Which is about as much as the standard edition is, pre-sale ($32)

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Morter posted:

Alright, I think this might be the only game I want to buy the whole winter sale (Since AC:Odyssey refuses to discounts its season pass :argh: ).

I liked SoD a lot despite its flaws. Loved just surviving and looting. Combat was decent, too.

Is there any reason not to get the ultimate edition? Which is about as much as the standard edition is, pre-sale ($32)

Well I'd say it depends both on how much you think you'd like the game, and whether you'd get annoyed if - for example - someone drops a DLC weapon you can't pick up. Because it does that.

Daybreak mode is sadly pretty boring, but I like the core game a lot. But Daybreak has a couple good things (base modules etc) locked behind it and playing it.

Definitely not 'required' in any case thougfh, and you can get those DLCs separately anyways as far as I know. People gripe about SoD2 and while not perfect, I've had a lot of fun with it. Many hours in a short time (I only picked it up around thanksgiving).

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the co-op in SoD2 is also still hella fun

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Coolguye posted:

the co-op in SoD2 is also still hella fun

I agree, I'm still surprised how many people eI see complain about it. Yeah, it'd be neat if it wasn't as much 'host'/helper, but since I came into the game expecting nothing else I've had plenty of fun with it. Even helping randos, though I wish more of my friends were into it, because pubbies are temperamental idiots.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The co-op, what do you mean by "host/helper"

Am tempted to get this for me and my gf

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
You can only work on one person's game at a time but it's worth it to be a helper because you get plenty of goodies and gears to take back to your game later

My gf loved being the helper because she would stress out at the base building/getting attacked by Zs

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah, the host is the one making story/mission progress, but everyone gets their own loot and there's ways for folks who connect to progress in their own game. renown is usually the rate-determining step to finishing out a level, and you get lots of that while rocking out in someone else's game.

it's entirely legitimate for someone to be only a 'helper' by finishing one map, filling their base with people they like and weapons they prefer to use, and just join other peoples' games constantly.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Picked this up last week and I'm really enjoying it. Had one hell of a play session tonight:

Pepper is my perky warlord-in-training. I decided to take her on one of her missions, to eliminate a plague heart on the other side of the map from our base (Drucker County, the mission was all the way over in the eastern part of the map). I gear up with soda can bombs, firecrackers and a silenced rifle and figure this will be a piece of cake.

Problem one is I decided to do the mission at night. Problem two is I went alone. Problem three is the area is swarming with plague zombies, like way more than should be around for one heart. I shake a bunch of them and head to a billboard to survey the area. When I get out of my truck, I start taking hostile fire.

Problem four was there was a hostile enclave right next to the mission area that I totally neglected to realize was there :bang:

I get to the top of the billboard and survey the area. There are actually THREE plague hearts right around me in this area - the one marked by the mission, and I can see the miasma coming off the other two locations. I can see the three hostile humans running around, and when I get too close to the edges of the billboard they open fire on me but miss. It's too dark and they're too far away for me to hit them with my rifle. There are three or four hordes of zombies (normal and plague) all wandering around, and somehow the enclave doesn't pull them all onto them.

When dawn comes, I hustle down the ladder, avoid the hail of gunfire and jump in my truck. I swing around on the main road and turn around. I realize they're occupying an espresso stand, so this is cool, I'll just hit them with my truck.

Problem five was when I pull up on them, the truck loving ran out of gas and I didn't even notice it until it was too late :bang: :bang:

I leap out of the truck and make a beeline for one of the buildings across the road that I noticed had a ladder going to the top. I manage to avoid being wounded and now the enclave is shooting a bunch of zombies that are attracted to the noise.

I make it to the rooftop across the street. There is a horde of plague zombies that followed me over and a bloater nearby. The enclave people are still hanging out by the espresso shack and now they're hitting me because I have nowhere to hide. Finally I get lucky and they start coming across the street to pursue me. I manage to headshot one as they run across the street. The second one makes it up the ladder and wings me, but I deliver headshot #2 and down they go. Suddenly the third enclave member is outnumbered and while he's being torn apart by the zombies, I headshot him too.

I toss some firecrackers off the roof to the other side of the parking lot to draw off the horde. I make it down in one piece, sneak to the gas station across the way and manage to find a gas can. I fill up my truck and move down to the mission area, finally!

The heart is easy to kill. What I didn't notice was a backroom behind where it was sitting, and two normal zombies come out, so I run for it. As I'm halfway across the parking lot to the truck, a loving feral that I didn't notice ambushes me and knocks me down. I hack at it with my blade and it manages to knock me down again. I realize I'm going to lose this one so I sprint for the truck and just barely make it in as the feral launches itself on the hood. I drive it across the street into a lightpole and crush it.

I head back to the espresso place and make it an outpost so I can pick up the supplies to take out the other two hearts. One is wedged in a weird place in a fast food restaurant and I destroy it, but I got knocked around a bit by some zombies and one of my explosives. The last goes down way easier after I removed a bloater from the building. My fatigue is now less than half due to wounding and fatigue and my health is also cut in half by severe trauma. In the last building, I mange to find a med rucksack to bring back to base. I make it back shortly before I pass out and heal up.

So that was three hearts, a major firefight and several close calls in about 10 minutes of play and somehow I survived it all :pray:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
You had a good session of this stress plate spinning simulator. Overextending and then overcoming is so satisfying in this.

Also ~ W I Z A R D V A N ~ is the best.

Nick Esasky
Nov 10, 2009
so guys, i just went and spent all day yesterday downloading 30 gigs worth of SOD2 only for the MS Store to decide it wanted to start from 0 again when it finished. I just found the 30 gigs sitting in what i presume is an install folder. Does anyone know of any kind of techno sorcery i can do to get the Store to use those files instead of threatening to break my bandwith cap and costing me more than it took to buy the drat game?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Is there like..a create a survivor mode?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Glenn Quebec posted:

Is there like..a create a survivor mode?

no, the entire point to each survivor is that they are generated and unique.

Nick Esasky posted:

so guys, i just went and spent all day yesterday downloading 30 gigs worth of SOD2 only for the MS Store to decide it wanted to start from 0 again when it finished. I just found the 30 gigs sitting in what i presume is an install folder. Does anyone know of any kind of techno sorcery i can do to get the Store to use those files instead of threatening to break my bandwith cap and costing me more than it took to buy the drat game?

this is a weird bug that happens with windows updates sometimes and restarting the computer/starting windows store as administrator usually fixes it.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Ooh that sucks.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

it's not a big deal and one of the more interesting ways to see how people play the game. the thing to emphasize is that this game is not difficult and a lot of the fun of it comes not from playing it as it was necessarily intended, but in loving around and doing the local equivalent of cow-tipping in a huge expanse of land. so getting a look at the person who's offering to join your community and figuring out what your standards are is actually a bit of a minigame unto itself. you can't take everyone because you community basically caps at 9 individuals.

some people go full eugenics, i personally just want people to not have some sort of horrible flaw that i can teach. if i look at someone and they've got health/stamina in line with their fighting and cardio and no 5th skill so i can make them read a book and learn whatever i need them to learn, they're in. otherwise they can take a hike.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Glenn Quebec posted:

Ooh that sucks.

Quite the opposite.

We fling survivors at the enemy like fodder and its great. It's not a game for ~*~getting attached to your protagonist~*~

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I get that. Thought you made your survivor and found a bunch.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

no, you start off with a couple of randomly generated survivors that fit a certain theme. you can have a brother and sister, a gay couple, old friends, stuff like that. they're as disposable as everyone else.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Of note is that once you achieve the story objectives for one run, you can start a new run and bring up to three survivors from your previous community.
So if you get one (or more) survivors you really like, you can bring them along on a ~magical journey~ through multiple zed-infested maps over the course of multiple runs.
If they don't get mauled, of course. :v:

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

And just in case he didn't realize, AFTER the tutorial is done, if ytou make another community you can "make" the survivors in your next run. You don't assign points, you roll, but there's no limit to how much you can roll, so you can either minmax or make an interesting combo to try to play it differently

El Seven
Jan 15, 2012
Has anyone tried the new Dread & Nightmares zones?

I have just under two hours in the Dread zone - so far so good. I haven't attempted to take out a plague heart yet, so we'll see how that goes. Resources do seem scarcer and not seeing zombies on the mini map has forced me to be more vigilant. I encountered a horde made up of armoured zombies. I drove past as vehicles definitely accrue damage more quickly now.

Looking forward to unlocking all the legacies again.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

El Seven posted:

Has anyone tried the new Dread & Nightmares zones?

I have just under two hours in the Dread zone - so far so good. I haven't attempted to take out a plague heart yet, so we'll see how that goes. Resources do seem scarcer and not seeing zombies on the mini map has forced me to be more vigilant. I encountered a horde made up of armoured zombies. I drove past as vehicles definitely accrue damage more quickly now.

Looking forward to unlocking all the legacies again.

What are they? I haven't kept up on the game.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What are they? I haven't kept up on the game.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/03/26/state-of-decay-2-choose-your-own-apocalypse-update-now-available/

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Looks neat. Any news about a Steam version? I assume it's not going to happen at all.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Man, it has been like a year. If it hasnt happened now I dont think its gonna happen.

Cool they updated. Might try it again. Got a nice comfy muscle memory on this game.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

hey, it's justification for me chewing through daybreak!

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Looks neat. Any news about a Steam version? I assume it's not going to happen at all.

I don't know what the delay was for the first one, if any, but May 22 is the one-year anniversary so that might be the date.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

CVagts posted:

I don't know what the delay was for the first one, if any, but May 22 is the one-year anniversary so that might be the date.

Though they are literally owned by Microsoft now, so I'm less hopeful.

That said, I played a ton and enjoyed the MS Store version, after initially trying to hold out for steam.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the master chief collection is coming out on steam full stop so microsoft clearly is not as bitchy about exclusives as epic is. i wouldn't count 'em out but overall it seems like the SoD2 cats work with a small team and a shoestring budget most times, so honestly i'd wonder if it is just flat out development bandwidth.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Microsoft seems weirdly open to working with other companies. Not that they arent a giant evil corporation like all the rest but just lately they seem to be all about pushing their IPs all over

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

ZeusCannon posted:

Microsoft seems weirdly open to working with other companies. Not that they arent a giant evil corporation like all the rest but just lately they seem to be all about pushing their IPs all over

After they acquired Rare, Microsoft let them make GBA games. I'm sure a lot of that had to do with MS not being in the portable market and wanting their newly acquired game devs to make more money for them.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
A company like Microsoft takes time to change course. We are still midway through Phil "Games" Spencer's turnaround, we will really see the results (good or bad) in a year or so with the next gen of consoles.

Microsoft knows what it did, and seems to be addressing it.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The Xbox game pass is on sale, THREE MONTHS for $1. You can install and play a bunch of decent games with that subscription, including SoD2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The Xbox game pass is on sale, THREE MONTHS for $1. You can install and play a bunch of decent games with that subscription, including SoD2.

Is this what finally causes me to upgrade to Windows 10