Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Farcry New Dawn and the others on sale at the humble bundle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

5er posted:

The worst thing about Nana, is knowing goddamn well the voice actress is a young adult pretending to be an old lady.

Yeah I never used her for that reason. The epic "old person that's hilariously deadly" meme is lame

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s only funny or interesting if they are humble. “I’m a million years old and I’m the coolest and the most awesome!” is the part of the meme that sucks.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I think it's kinda fun cheesing for more ethanol with Nana. Creeping around acting as a spotter while she murders everyone is a nice change of pace.

edit: is there a way to skip dialogue? Sometimes someone wants to prattle on but if I walk away they just restart when I walk back and I need them to get through their routine to get the mission or whatever.

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Mar 18, 2019

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I do think it's weird that, to follow up the story about the FC5, they decide that God is real and has granted Joseph the power to bestow supernatural abilities on whoever he wants to smite his enemies.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

kidkissinger posted:

I do think it's weird that, to follow up the story about the FC5, they decide that God is real and has granted Joseph the power to bestow supernatural abilities on whoever he wants to smite his enemies.

It’s Atom & Eve, not Adam & Eve.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

kidkissinger posted:

I've reconciled it all, personally, even the dumb poo poo "Judge is the deputy from 5!" not-much-of-a-twist, by believing that 5.5 is all a 'Jacob's Ladder' / 'Occurrence at Owl Creek' fever dream as 5's deputy lay drugged out and dying in Joseph's bunker.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s a radioactive plant, it’s not God. I rationalize it by realizing my character is probably full of tumors by then end of the game

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

What is the explanation for the entire north part of the map being covered in a cloud of bliss a two decades after the bombs fell? Was there really that much bliss, or did all of the plants mutate to produce bliss or something?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

kidkissinger posted:

What is the explanation for the entire north part of the map being covered in a cloud of bliss a two decades after the bombs fell? Was there really that much bliss, or did all of the plants mutate to produce bliss or something?

When you pass through it once on a nearly fatal drug bender induced by a cult leader with an Oedipus complex, and then for all general purposes it's essentially gone, whatever lol, it's best to just not worry about the details.

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Picked up New Dawn on sale. Is the HD texture pack worth it if I'm using a gtx 970 @1080p?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I grabbed it. Performance has been fine. Dunno if it runs smoother without. Whatup FC5NW sale buddy.

I am underwhelmed by the superpowers, but double jump is a pro move.

I am infinitely annoyed that the game mechanics continue to protect Joseph Seed, motherfucker let me shoot him. I know it is coming, but I just wanted to do what Ethan sent me north to do. Also, is that the same Ethan that was locked up in the militia pow blacksite with you? Saw a note mentioning he is actually a blood child of Joseph. Man, I was hoping things would work out for him.

The game probably has a good 2 or 3 sessions left in it for me. It has been satisfactory so far. The numbers go up and I murder mans. Game is legit pretty. Best rural murder simulator in 2018/2019.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Jigoku San posted:

Picked up New Dawn on sale. Is the HD texture pack worth it if I'm using a gtx 970 @1080p?

No, it's made for 4k gaming and your VRAM will cry.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Was there ever anything that says what happened to Jess after 5? She was my favorite companion and I was disappointed that I never found any references to her.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Litterally no mention in Far Cry 5 according to the wiki.

I did find out the movie director finished editing the movie when the bomb dropped. He fired everyone and walked outside.

I forgot who Tracey was while doing the photography thing. I liked her notes: She had it together and knew the best option was to gtfo of this dumb valley. Holy lol, her design doc name was Traci West, getthefuckouttahere lol there really arnt black people working at Ubisoft holy lololol.

Edit: Judge is my new buddy. He's just there sometimes, I dont feel bad about not picking him up in my car, he doesn't talk. Judge is great. Tutorial Girl didnt get dynamite fast enough. Nana was grating and I've been spoiled by MGS5's method of handling sniper companions. Grabbing Hurk next to take him for a spin.

I will finish the game with the good pup. His mission was the best. After taking the first outpost the nondescrip scout chit told me the Highwaymen were prepping pup stake on the hill over yonder. I tint my monitor red and beeline up to the shelter, my battlecry "SAVE THE BABIES!!!". Then the doggo leads you on a jumping puzzle so he can rescue his fellow puppers. I left him in charge of the pound and pressed X to pet. That will be the true utopia of Hope County.

KirbyKhan fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 20, 2019

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

J-Spot posted:

Was there ever anything that says what happened to Jess after 5? She was my favorite companion and I was disappointed that I never found any references to her.

I'm upset we never saw Willis the CIA man

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I legit approve of the Sharkey-cousin mom and Hurk fart dad union.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Also can we talk about how that one Willis Pee Tape mission could be stupid hard because the map markers would have trouble showing up in time if you were squirrel suitin

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 23 minutes!
It's a big dumb meaty shooter game that worth the twenty bucks just for the fun of being a wrecking crew on easiest mode and being appropriately doofy enough to make stealth worth at least a try for the first couple kills alone. Forty? No.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Yo check this: Primal still has the best characters in a Far Cry game.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m probably 10 hours in and feeling like:

1. Weapon tiers are dumb, you can triple your damage output going from t1 to t2
2. Enemy tiers are basically dumb
3. Why not design actually hard outposts instead of just filling the same simple outposts with bullet sponge enemies

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

Trustworthy posted:

Yo check this: Primal still has the best characters in a Far Cry game.

Yeah, I'm kind of surprised at the lack of enthusiasm for Primal. I haven't played the last couple, but it was my favourite. Just an absolutely beautiful setting, with good enemies and the best type of weapons. I mean, spears? Does anything compare to them?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Ardent Communist posted:

Yeah, I'm kind of surprised at the lack of enthusiasm for Primal. I haven't played the last couple, but it was my favourite. Just an absolutely beautiful setting, with good enemies and the best type of weapons. I mean, spears? Does anything compare to them?

If I was seriously hunting woolly mammoth, I'd strongly prefer to do it with a Barrett at a thousand yards than with a spear at ten.

This applies to video games too!

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
So I was tweaking my settings trying to figure out where I would get the best performance in this game, I have a GTX 1080, a 9900k and I run 1080p/gsync. With everything at ultra I get about 115 FPS average in the benchmark, and as it turns out, this game bottlenecks on a 9900k at 125 FPS (guru3d 1080p benchmarks show everything 1080 Ti and up clustering at 124-126 FPS also on a 9900k). Looking at the benchmark while its running, it uses about 30% CPU but most of it is only 2 threads that peg out at 100% utilization. Compared to Far Cry 2 even, these newer Dunia 2 games are almost embarrassingly lightly threaded (either that, or its Denuvo).

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

Kesper North posted:

If I was seriously hunting woolly mammoth, I'd strongly prefer to do it with a Barrett at a thousand yards than with a spear at ten.

This applies to video games too!

It also had an owl that would drop a bag of bees on enemies and if I had more time I could find the screenshot of when I saw hurki's dick and balls

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Im keeping Primal on the shelf. It seems like a good stand alone murder vacation videogame. I just cant sing its praises cuz there is never any reason to play two farcry games simultaneously and theres still a bunch I gotta do in New Dawn.

I might pick up the Hurk on Mars DLC someday. It is fuckin wild they have like 8 solid hours of audio banter in that.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I love Hurk but I'm telling you the Mars DLC is not worth it unless they patched the hell out of it later

linking this: hurk dick and balls
https://i.imgur.com/tPKumpx

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018
Probation

moist turtleneck posted:

I love Hurk but I'm telling you the Mars DLC is not worth it unless they patched the hell out of it later
linking this: hurk dick and balls
https://i.imgur.com/tPKumpx

I think they should just transfer the Far cry team into a Time Splitters like game with tons of settings and weapons and characters. Just make a base game and keep selling add-ons, levels, skins, etc.

You guys remember Time Splitters?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

KirbyKhan posted:

Im keeping Primal on the shelf. It seems like a good stand alone murder vacation videogame. I just cant sing its praises cuz there is never any reason to play two farcry games simultaneously and theres still a bunch I gotta do in New Dawn.

I might pick up the Hurk on Mars DLC someday. It is fuckin wild they have like 8 solid hours of audio banter in that.

mars dlc sucks, its only good because it automatically unlocks laser weapons in 5 base game.

primal is fun enough romp but its not as good as new dawn.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I've given in and started a Far Cry game design fanfiction. Coherent themes that tie into gameplay without hindering you, a rebel force that aren't secretly evil, , no horrible racism or racism by omission, and actively taking the piss with every bad decision the series has ever made. Comes with two parallel player characters, two backstoryish DLC packs, and QTEs during every villain monologue to just shoot them in the face.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Discendo Vox posted:

I've given in and started a Far Cry game design fanfiction. Coherent themes that tie into gameplay without hindering you, a rebel force that aren't secretly evil, , no horrible racism or racism by omission, and actively taking the piss with every bad decision the series has ever made. Comes with two parallel player characters, two backstoryish DLC packs, and QTEs during every villain monologue to just shoot them in the face.

thats cool. give us more details when its worked out.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Picked this up on the PS store sale. I redboxed it months ago and had a good time. Game is still fun, bases and sneaking is still fun, those small prepper stashes are still fun. The mission where you have to make your way out of the flooded silo was hella fun. Fly fishing is the funnest. I could spend all day with Timber, just fishing away.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Lucas Archer posted:

Picked this up on the PS store sale. I redboxed it months ago and had a good time. Game is still fun, bases and sneaking is still fun, those small prepper stashes are still fun. The mission where you have to make your way out of the flooded silo was hella fun. Fly fishing is the funnest. I could spend all day with Timber, just fishing away.

incorrect. :colbert:

i think what annoyed me is how all the npcs act like extremely online millenials and not traumatized survivors of a nuclear apocalypse.

idk

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Disagree. :colbert:

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
I really want more expeditions. Those missions are just fun and, more importantly, interesting. The stages themselves are just chock full of poo poo to find, explore, and hide in. The final sprint towards the chopper (get to the choppa!) with the highwaymen on my rear end still hasn't gotten old. I wish I had a little more time in the helicopter flying out to snipe more guys as we leave.

I'm about to head north into New Eden to start that mission. I've heard you get Crysis powers, but since I've never played Crysis, I have no idea what that means. Looking forward to it though!

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Hey y'all I love beer, the 4th of july and rassling. Too bad there is no jorts and crocs.

DecentHairJelly
Jul 24, 2007

I don't want Fop goddamnit
Yeah, it'd be nice if there were more character customization options. Some of the unlockable outfits look cool, but do we need two gorilla masks? Did we even need one? Two of the torso pieces are the same thing too, just different colors. More hairstyles would be fun. They should have had a bunch of Mad Max looking poo poo for you to unlock with maybe some color switching options or something.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

kidkissinger posted:

I mean, isn't that true in FC5 as well?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Ulio posted:

Hey y'all I love beer, the 4th of july and rassling. Too bad there is no jorts and crocs.

I wound up with a dude in 5.5 that looked like Hyde from 'that 70's show', in the 5.0 ranger outfit. And in Division 2, I wound up with a guy that looks like 5.5's Nick Rye, and I'm never changing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018
Probation

5er posted:

I wound up with a dude in 5.5 that looked like Hyde from 'that 70's show', in the 5.0 ranger outfit. And in Division 2, I wound up with a guy that looks like 5.5's Nick Rye, and I'm never changing.
Raincoat killer all the way baby.

Sneaking around, trapping cars and alarms, then jump off a building to kill and watch everyone scatter.