Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

Jim Jarmusch, will you make a werewolf movie next?

Coffee and Cigarettes but it's all mummies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Y'all out of your minds for not mentioning Wicker Man, the best horror musical. You absolute posers. lmao

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Alvarez IV posted:

Among the thousand film adaptations of Frankenstein and Dracula, which ones are most accurate to the source material?

I have not seen it, but there was a TV miniseries adaptation of Frankenstein in the 70s that allegedly comes the closest, called "Frankenstein: The True Story." Although from what I've read it still takes a number of liberties, such as making the monster look attractive at first.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Neo Rasa posted:

I guess if you really wanted to adapt Dracula in a super accurate way, you'd could treat it like an anthology movie with Mina recounting stuff being the framing story.

Coppola's Dracula and Horror of Dracula both at least pay lip service to that with Harker keeping his diary in the Hammer version and all the voiceover narration in Coppolas version. There's a lot in Coppola's Dracula that is left out of most other adaptations(the asylum stuff with Dr. Seward, Lucy's suitors, the finale with the caravan and Harker/Quincy teaming up to kill Dracula, etc.).

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Splint Chesthair posted:

I have not seen it, but there was a TV miniseries adaptation of Frankenstein in the 70s that allegedly comes the closest, called "Frankenstein: The True Story." Although from what I've read it still takes a number of liberties, such as making the monster look attractive at first.

If memory serves, it also featured Polidori as a character.

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

M_Sinistrari posted:

Overall, I liked it. I thought the mix of it being found footage with an overlay about obsessions really worked. Though I am a bit fuzzy about part of the ending. In the post credits scene where the documentary crew play the tape, I'm assuming Gavin did end up finding Sophia. What exactly did she do to cheat Peeping Tom? It first looked like she cut off her eyelids/popped her eyes, but in the later footage it looked like her eyes were there but dead white and she was blind?

I agree that it was kind of unclear, but I think she did cut off her eyelids to avoid blinking, which would lead to exposure keratopathy and scarring/opacification of the eyes i.e. blindness.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm putting together my list for May. Anyone else have ideas for the way they're gonna handle the May Challenge this year? I haven't decided yet, aside from watching as many new-to-me films as possible. But I wouldn't mind mixing in some rewatches to if I can come up with an interesting way to pair them with new stuff.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
As a relative newbie you guys will have to tell me about the may challenge

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It's for horror junkies who can't make it to October, so we celebrate that we made it halfway there by watching a shitload of horror movies and posting write ups about them.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Interesting

I may participate since it occurred to me recently I have only seen like one Giallo film

For a fan of Italian horror, I always tended towards the Mondo, Zombie, Exploitation genres.

I should probably class it up a little.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Yeah instead of 31 movies in October its 15-16 in may because youve made it halfway to the devils month.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Every October we do the Horror Movie Challenge which involves watching at least 31 movies and doing write-ups for them, whether they're essays or reviews.

To celebrate that we're half-way to Halloween, we do a May Movie Challenge now, which is basically the Horror Movie Challenge-lite, with a goal of 13 movies and write-ups. Usually people like to watch movies they normally wouldn't for Halloween, stuff that's come out since October, etc.

It's fun.

There's really no limit to play, you can watch however many you want. Usually there's a group that competes to see who can watch the most. It's just a good way to watch stuff you've missed or have heard about but need an extra kick to finally watch.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Everyone should watch Lake Mungo. I've watched it 3 or 4 times now, and it's always amazing, especially since they had no script (just vague ideas of how each scene should go) and the actors were all amateurs/improv people.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Here's a link to last years

may horror thread!

Easy Diff posted:

Everyone should watch Lake Mungo. I've watched it 3 or 4 times now, and it's always amazing, especially since they had no script (just vague ideas of how each scene should go) and the actors were all amateurs/improv people.

Lake Mungo is really enjoyable. It gets a lot of love here.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Alright, I will have to make a Giallo list

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Alright, I will have to make a Giallo list

Yeah, a lot of us use Letterboxd lists, and share them.

Basebf555 posted:

I'm putting together my list for May. Anyone else have ideas for the way they're gonna handle the May Challenge this year? I haven't decided yet, aside from watching as many new-to-me films as possible. But I wouldn't mind mixing in some rewatches to if I can come up with an interesting way to pair them with new stuff.

I have eight movies left from Slant's Top 100, so that's going to be my main concentration for May. Everything else will be pulled from my big list.

I'm also interested in seeing CriterionChannel's horror selection. If it's good, like FilmStruck's, I'll be using that as well.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Easy Diff posted:

You just shot up a posting tier, someone will be bringing by your plaque later.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Easy Diff posted:

I finally got around to watching it this past October. So good but also so sad :smith:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Alvarez IV posted:

Among the thousand film adaptations of Frankenstein and Dracula, which ones are most accurate to the source material?

Found-footage movie The Frankenstein Theory, oddly enough.

It is technically a sequel to the book, but is extremely close in that it matches the epistolary format of the book, they say "I guess alchemy worked?" to establish the premise, and then the rest is just people recording desolate landscapes.

People tend to forget that the book skips right over over the actual creation part.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Thats the triple-twisty family drama ghost found footage movie right?

Yeah that was really good

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Like, returning to the idea of found footage playing cognitive tricks on us, Lake Mungo scared the poo poo out of me when after the first twist there is no ghost you get the second twist of the neighbor's face in the reflection.

That stupid thing scared the gently caress out of me

and then the ending was even worse

There is something about tiny spooky image hidden in a photo that just destroys me.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

I've been kicking around the idea of doing X amt of franchises in X days. But not sure if I should do it for May or October since I do have a list made up for 31 franchises with a few extra for last moment swap outs.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I once toyed around with doing 365 movies in one year but only made it to mid-march

I did pull 52 books a year though.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Interesting

I may participate since it occurred to me recently I have only seen like one Giallo film

For a fan of Italian horror, I always tended towards the Mondo, Zombie, Exploitation genres.

I should probably class it up a little.

Giallo films are definitely not classy, but they rule and you should watch them anyway. Might be fun to mix some of the essentials like The Bird with the Crystal Plumage, Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key, etc, with some later stuff that's giallo-influenced like Stage Fright and maybe modern films like Amer or The Editor

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

gey muckle mowser posted:

Giallo films are definitely not classy,

I mean in that they are classy compared to Mondo films and other Italian horror genres.

Like, Giallo is "let the knife suggest the penis as it penetrates the well-dressed prostitute" while mondo is "let's literally eat her vagina while running her breasts through with hooks"

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Giallo films are definitely not classy, but they rule and you should watch them anyway. Might be fun to mix some of the essentials like The Bird with the Crystal Plumage, Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key, etc, with some later stuff that's giallo-influenced like Stage Fright and maybe modern films like Amer or The Editor

Bird with the Crystal Plummage is top tier giallo.

Your Vice is good and has one of the best titles ever. I also rec Tenebre, Five Dolls for an August Moon, and Lizard in a Woman's Skin as some more well known and enjoyable flicks.

E: I have plenty of other recs too, but I just dont want to type out a 10+ film list atm. Lol

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 28, 2019

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

You just shot up a posting tier, someone will be bringing by your plaque later.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Thats the triple-twisty family drama ghost found footage movie right?

Yeah that was really good

TheKingslayer posted:

I finally got around to watching it this past October. So good but also so sad :smith:
I like to show it to friends without telling them it's fictional, I go with some patter of "It's a crime documentary about this girl in Australia who drowns, and then things get weird"

It is strange in how it has a few threads that go nowhere like the neighbor who she babysits for/gets raped by husband and wife but overall I find its meandering, Tristram-Shandy-like storytelling a good reflection of the main idea, a ghost trying to find a way to cross back over and talk to her family again, pressing up against the veil

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Jason Blum!?

I'm a big fan sir.
lol is that what Blum did?

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 28, 2019

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Easy Diff posted:

I like to show it to friends without telling them it's fictional, I go with some patter of "It's a crime documentary about this girl in Australia who drowns, and then things get weird"

Jason Blum!?

I'm a big fan sir.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

MacheteZombie posted:

Bird with the Crystal Plummage is top tier giallo.

Your Vice is good and has one of the best titles ever. I also rec Tenebre, Five Dolls for an August Moon, and Lizard in a Woman's Skin as some more well known and enjoyable flicks.

E: I have plenty of other recs too, but I just dont want to type out a 10+ film list atm. Lol

Five Dolls is a cool movie but it's not quite horror IMO, like it has murders and stuff but the tone is very different from a normal giallo. The other two you mentioned are fantastic and I'd add Blood and Black Lace as top tier as well.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Easy Diff posted:

lol is that what Blum did?

It was a joke about the marketing for Paranormal Activity 1

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Five Dolls is a cool movie but it's not quite horror IMO, like it has murders and stuff but the tone is very different from a normal giallo. The other two you mentioned are fantastic and I'd add Blood and Black Lace as top tier as well.

Five Dolls for an August Moon is like an Agatha Christie novel but everyone's drunk and horny.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Blood and Black Lace is really the prototype in my opinion. Bava did The Girl Who Knew Too Much the year before, and most people will cite that as "the first giallo", but Blood and Black Lace for me is the first time the formula was perfected. Not bad for the second time out.

You could do a May Challenge just going through Bava's horror filmography and you'd still see a wide variety of interesting and visually stunning horror.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Thinking further on it since my definition of franchise is all the movies, any remakes/reboots, any games, any books, any graphic novels/comics, it's probably for the best I save the X franchises in X days for October. I'm thinking for the May Ironman, just doing all Full Moon films.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I once toyed around with doing 365 movies in one year but only made it to mid-march

i'm attempting this this year and i'm ahead by like 4 or 5 movies

i'm determined!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

mikeycp posted:

i'm attempting this this year and i'm ahead by like 4 or 5 movies

i'm determined!

I mean, I do recommend it, either for books or movies, because it forces you to expand your horizons just to fit the space

You cannot find 365 movies you WANT to watch or 52 books you WANT to read, so you often find yourself forced to pick something that looks kinda interesting. It allows one to find great experiences they might have otherwise never seen.

One of my biggest fears in life is that there is a book I would love but never knew to read it.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
i'm forcing a friend to watch them all with me on rabb.it, so usually we just pick a streaming service and scroll till we find something and that seems to work

that's how we found butterfly kisses but it's also how we found the zak bagans movie which was not so good

not to mention we tend to watch some real bad poo poo. like last night we watched foodfight which is a nightmare

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

mikeycp posted:

i'm forcing a friend to watch them all with me on rabb.it, so usually we just pick a streaming service and scroll till we find something and that seems to work

that's how we found butterfly kisses but it's also how we found the zak bagans movie which was not so good

not to mention we tend to watch some real bad poo poo. like last night we watched foodfight which is a nightmare

Oh believe me, I read some absolute poo poo

I read The Fault in Our Stars the day it came out because I liked the cover and watched in horror at what it became in pop culture

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

it has a good cover

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

It actually had incredible moments of body horror I wish they had the guts to put in the film

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I managed 56 books one year, and I’ll never be able to do it again. I’m too slow of a reader, I work too much, have more obligations. Wish I could do it, though.