Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Token Rink! Literally dying over here.

Well, that and because MSFT pushed a server patch that, in combination with certain network configurations, caused the TFTP in our WDSs to go tits-up. Of course, Infrastructure and Network blamed us, and unfortunately my team's Linux guy had pushed a change on Friday that we had to prove wasn't the source of the outage. Turns out all you have to do is uncheck a box in the GUI, or if you've got several dozen of these loving servers, do it in the registry from the endpoint manager.

Which is fine, I can do that...except I'm not supposed to cowboy all over the servers. Send a Severity FIX IT FIX IT FIX IT ticket to Infrastructure to do the needful.

It immediately boomerangs back to my team's queue. Reading comprehension, not their strong suit.

tl;dr, 16 hours after identifying the problem, engineering a fix, and testing it, someone finally pushed it out. Not like being unable to image computers is a major issue or anything, lolololol, thanks for your prompt attention you loving useless assholes.

In other news, my project to [redacted] has been put back on hold because Enterprise Security wants to actively continue to ruin my life. I'm lucky I'm compensated well for this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Token Rink! Literally dying over here.

Well, that and because MSFT pushed a server patch that, in combination with certain network configurations, caused the TFTP in our WDSs to go tits-up. Of course, Infrastructure and Network blamed us, and unfortunately my team's Linux guy had pushed a change on Friday that we had to prove wasn't the source of the outage. Turns out all you have to do is uncheck a box in the GUI, or if you've got several dozen of these loving servers, do it in the registry from the endpoint manager.

Got a link to share about this? I should look into it, but I'm busy building a new RODC.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Gerdalti posted:

Got a link to share about this? I should look into it, but I'm busy building a new RODC.

Here's the patch notes my Infra team ignored:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4489881/windows-8-1-update-kb4489881

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Bigass Moth posted:

Bonus points, it's in health care so you get all the joys of that thrown in with the decaying network infrastructure!

https://jobs.kindredhealthcare.com/job/-/-/653/11152213?src=JB-10686

Based on experience the line "5 years experience as a Network Engineer in a large-scale inter-network environment with proven complex network design experience" is a direct translation for "5 Years of experience reverse engineering 25 year old network technology for which nobody left documentation."

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 26, 2019

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

suuma posted:

Heck yeah an after-hours text from my boss with some bad news about the likelihood a new hire will be leaving us and then another that says "please don't quit"
Does that mean you're hiring?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://twitter.com/Foone/status/1103384684812255233

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Not as impressive as the vim exit% speedrun :colbert:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

uses the mouse to open the start menu

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Ghostlight posted:

uses the mouse to open the start menu

check the thread

He clicked the start menu so it was more obvious what was going on, and when he stops giving a poo poo about that the time gets down to like half a second or so.

Writes a script that doesn't even bother letting go of the windows key.

https://twitter.com/Foone/status/1103396931894562816

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Data Graham posted:

Never a bad time for a BNC sculpture

https://twitter.com/infinite_scream/status/1110784258472325121

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Renegret posted:

Writes a script that doesn't even bother letting go of the windows key.
Half-presses are a long-established part of speedruns, afterall.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

D. Ebdrup posted:

Half-presses are a long-established part of speedruns, afterall.

A rabbit hole I've gone down once and

never again

on god never again

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Renegret posted:

never again

on god never again

You learned you only needed to go halfway after the first time?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Renegret posted:

never again

on god never again

Well you see Rene "pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt" Gret, there are three parts of a windows key press. When you push down the windows key, when you hold it down, and when you release it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

TinTower posted:

Not as impressive as the vim exit% speedrun :colbert:

What about the emacx exit%?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

iospace posted:

World record's about a half hour

Kurieg posted:

Well you see Rene "pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt" Gret, there are three parts of a windows key press. When you push down the windows key, when you hold it down, and when you release it.

I hate you

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You learned you only needed to go halfway after the first time?

you too

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

iospace posted:

Shame about the lack of a good editor.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
A meeting with the boss came in.

I've been out for two weeks now (spring break, and then last week I had strep and then the flu) and I was pretty sure this meeting was going to be an admonishment for being out too much.

However, his assistant revealed to me that the Department of Education has decided to give us a much needed cash infusion of $150k, which the director has decided is going entirely to the IT department to upgrade our piss poor infrastructure (refer to my previous posts to hear about the beauty that is our decades old equipment). I had been informed before, after submitting my 10 year plan, that the money for the project was already budgeted. But now I get to combine about 4 years worth of work into one humongous purchase.

So now I get to rip out every single piece of equipment on this godforsaken campus and completely replace it in July.

I also found out that I have a $3k surplus that can only be spent on office supplies and I'm buying a new chair because, drat it, I'm worth it.

I'm in an oddly good mood, and karma dictates that I can fully expect to find out I have cancer by the end of the day.

edit for content:

:v: "I tried accessing the network drive on my laptop, but it said that my login password was incorrect. Any suggestions?"
:eng101: "Make sure you're typing the domain before your username ([domain]\[username]). This is the issue a majority of the time."
:v: "The issue is not with the username but with the password."

Listen here, you little poo poo. :fuckoff:

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 27, 2019

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

larchesdanrew posted:

I'm in an oddly good mood, and karma dictates that I can fully expect to find out I have cancer by the end of the day.
Definitely check around corners and watch for pianos falling out of the sky.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Uh management is telling us not to put ACL change requests in our hosted ticketing system (freshservice) because it could be insecure. They want us to put them in a txt file on the network and reference it in a CR.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The Macaroni posted:

Definitely check around corners and watch for pianos falling out of the sky.

And open manholes.

Listen, we just need someone to follow you about 20 yards back and constantly filming you so we can post the result to the schadenfreude thread.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

We were told that we weren't going to be renewing our on-prem IronPort licensing because we have O365.

Someone checked and found that they were blocking 700k emails per day.

Interestingly enough, we're renewing our IronPort licensing.

Full Disclosure: I don't work in that segment of our area, so I can't say much as to why the situation is that dire without them. I'm happy they're there, though.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

I can't recommend it, honestly. It's really not worth it. 0/10.
It's awesome that you're finally getting a budget; it's absolute hell to be stuck somewhere where you're expected to work miracles with no funding what-so-ever.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
It has officially begun. Papers signed, vendors notified, timeline approved.

The week after graduation is going to be nuts and I am going to be a goddamned basket case, but a basket case with a bunch of shiny new toys.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
All your printers will die at the same time and that money will be redirected to printer replacement costs.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

The horror of New stuff and it absolutely not working correctly the first time sucks but yeah compared to how it sounds for Larch now it's still least resistance.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

You better save all the old hardware just in case you might need it later. Especially the RAM sticks.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Nth Doctor posted:

You better save all the old hardware just in case you might need it later. Especially the RAM sticks.

Accounting says it's not fully depreciated and it's still worth $150 per stick, and you can't throw that away!

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

larchesdanrew posted:

That's super exciting, and I hope it all goes well!

I had something similar happen to me, and then got monkey's paw'd. It's been my mission to get rid of or reimage any computer not on Win10 since Win10 was tested and released in our environment. I eventually got in front of an exec, who listened to my proposal, said he loved it, threw his full team and financial support behind it, and wished me the best on my success.

Two weeks later, I got an email saying he'd retired.

Apparently without telling anyone about my plan.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

He's on a beach somewhere still laughing about that. Ask around and see if he did that to anyone else.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

mllaneza posted:

He's on a beach somewhere still laughing about that. Ask around and see if he did that to anyone else.

He probably did.

He wouldn't have been the first.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
If a ticket came in... I didn't see it.

Helpdesk has been closed for over a week now while the entire IT team wipes down boxes and dusts off servers and racks that were covered in construction dust.

At some point you think they'd just pay a couple people like half of what any one of us makes to just go through and clean it properly but, no. There are 8 guys featherdusting hundreds of keyboards getting paid 80k+ to do so. It would be nice if we actually had decent equipment to do accomplish the task too. I brought my big rear end air compressor and shop vac from home to make short work of it but my boss got all rear end-on-his-shoulders about us bringing in our own tools and now I'm blowing off sticks of ram with a bicycle pump.
Meanwhile the entire org is PISSED that nobody is responding to tickets and there are a number of people who have been unable to work for days now.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Literal computer janitor.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I brought my big rear end air compressor and shop vac from home to make short work of it but my boss got all rear end-on-his-shoulders about us bringing in our own tools and now I'm blowing off sticks of ram with a bicycle pump.

I think this is the point where I'd stop doing that task

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

D. Ebdrup posted:

Shame about the lack of a good editor.

:hfive:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Thanks Ants posted:

I think this is the point where I'd stop doing that task

I thought about it too, but then I thought about all those dollars I'm getting paid to chill in a room with a hard hat, work boots, headphones, and coffee and not have to deal with the real world.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Hate when people do that, and there's no excuse just because you're "letting go" or whatever. My wife had a really choice internship lined up back in college, but there was a holdup pending approval from some particular manager. It was taking a while, and it turned out that it was taking extra time because he was out of the office--with a terminal illness.

Apparently a day or so before he passed away, he motioned for a family member to come near and said something like, "Listen, there's some college kid waiting on me for her internship. It'll get lost in red tape if I don't get it nailed down. Can you help me write and sign a memo approving the funding, and get it to my office?"

She got the internship, and heard this story from the head of the lab she worked in. Never got to thank the guy.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
Ticket came in:

"Citrix Receiver needs to be downgraded to version x in this lab for next week. I just tested it and it's not working. Version x worked last year and I see you have version y installed. See the attached email" *Includes email from the org they're connecting to stating that they need to use the new Citrix Desktop App instead of Receiver.*

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

The Macaroni posted:

Apparently a day or so before he passed away, he motioned for a family member to come near and said something like, "Listen, there's some college kid waiting on me for her internship. It'll get lost in red tape if I don't get it nailed down. Can you help me write and sign a memo approving the funding, and get it to my office?"

This is one of the saddest things I've read in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
A purchase order came in

Someone wants to buy a laptop/projector/screen - the caveat is the customer is paying for it out of a particular budget and will only finance if it's here before their FY end. (Sunday)

Also, that someone went to a supplier directly without consulting IT and picked a laptop that we don't support from a supplier that is on stop right now.

Bravo sir, you will be drop kicked as soon as I see you next.