Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
i had hope that Chewbacca would finally be able to escape these Star Wars once his life-debt to Han got paid off. I guess that was silly of me.

it would be cool if he had some kind of ronin storyline though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
One of the few things I appreciated about Solo is that Chewie doesn't have a life-debt to Han in the new continuity.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Doesn't he? He got saved from what I would have imagined was a death sentence fighting prisoners on a mud planet in the midst of an invasion.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Vinylshadow posted:

I can't believe Chewbacca dies and they upload his mind into Threepio so he can still co-pilot the Falcon

It was a necessary first step before they could upload his new droid mind into the Falcon directly. Lando wanted his robot girlfriend back.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

AndyElusive posted:

Doesn't he? He got saved from what I would have imagined was a death sentence fighting prisoners on a mud planet in the midst of an invasion.

han is dead buddy

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Where the gently caress is R2-D2 on that poster?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Pops Mgee posted:

Where the gently caress is R2-D2 on that poster?

He got blowed up off screen.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I hope the trailer that drops at Celebration is just two minutes of Rey trying to superglue Anakin’s lightsaber back together.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There is going to be a fourth one in this trilogy, wont there?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Barudak posted:

that was what a dude who predicted most of TLJ correctly said, yeah

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
It would be ballsy for them to do and probably piss a lot of people off and cause some to say they're burying TLJ. I could *possibly* see them setting up a 10th, if they thought up a good cliffhanger to set it up. I don't know if bringing Palpatine back would even work, but I think it's about the only unifying thing across all the movies which would work. There's isn't really any other through line other than the Chosen One prophecy.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Part three part one.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Barudak posted:

That would kind of make sense. Episode IX basically kind of has to set up a whole new story, since episode 8 pretty much resolves everything set up in TFA.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I honestly would be okay if the Finn/Poe/Rey story continued for a new trilogy after IX, one that completely leaves behind all the Skywalker/Solo stuff.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Barudak posted:

this trilogy will have infinite movies. jj will direct one and load it up with nonsensical mysteries and cliffhangers, then another director will come in and throw it all in the trash, then they'll bring jj back and he will once again load it with mysteries and cliffhangers, etc, forever

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Reylo's Paradox

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Turns of the scene with Rey in the mirror room was actually foreshadowing.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I will only enjoy the next Star Wars movie if the following characters kiss another character also on the list.

- Rey
- Kylo Ren
- Poe
- C3-PO
- Finn
- Luke Skywalker
- Chewbacca
- Snap Wexley
- DJ
- Captain Phasma
- Hux
- BB-8

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Star Wars IX Script

[camera pans up to a closed eye. Suddenly, the eye opens!]

rey: gasp! wow, what a strange dream! And now, to continue the events of "The Force Awakens"

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

pospysyl posted:

I will only enjoy the next Star Wars movie if the following characters kiss another character also on the list.

- Rey
- Kylo Ren
- Poe
- C3-PO
- Finn
- Luke Skywalker
- Chewbacca
- Snap Wexley
- DJ
- Captain Phasma
- Hux
- BB-8

Who's on top?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

General Dog posted:

Who's on top?

Can't believe Hux & BB8 made it to the finals

Their children will be legendary

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

3PO and Kylo for sure

3PO winning it

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

General Dog posted:

That would kind of make sense. Episode IX basically kind of has to set up a whole new story, since episode 8 pretty much resolves everything set up in TFA.

They could almost continue the story directly from TFA without missing a beat.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Trump posted:

They could almost continue the story directly from TFA without missing a beat.

Plotlines established in TFA and concluded in TLJ:

Will Luke come to the aid of the Resistance?
Sort of

Will Luke train Rey?
Sort of

Will Kylo overcome his self doubt?
Yes

Is Kylo redeemable?
Until further notice, no

Who is Rey?
It doesn't matter

Who is Snoke?
It doesn't matter

Plotlines left to be completed (or started) in Episode IX:
From most to least interesting

What does Kylo even want?

What does Rey even want?

Who wins the war/is there a war/what happens to the galaxy?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

General Dog posted:

Plotlines established in TFA and concluded in TLJ:

Plotlines left to be completed (or started) in Episode IX:
From most to least interesting

What does Kylo even want?

What does Rey even want?

Who wins the war/is there a war/what happens to the galaxy?

1) to be the bad guy who dies to save a good guy
2) to be the good guy
3) literally irrelevant

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ammanas posted:

han is dead buddy

that's not true that's impossible.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Ammanas posted:

han is dead buddy

Darth Maul was dead at one point too.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Stick Han's brain inside one of them spider robots like the one from Jabba's temple.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

teagone posted:

Darth Maul was dead at one point too.

i actually stand corrected, han at one point died but is functionally immortal as eu/prequel style movies can be made with him until the sun explodes and crushes chewie

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
At least Ford has escaped the curse.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ammanas posted:

i actually stand corrected, han at one point died but is functionally immortal

A Jedi couldn't have taught him that.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

YaketySass posted:

At least Ford has escaped the curse.

If he's not cursed, then why is he still wearing that goddammed earring?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

We can't really say ford has escaped without knowing the nature of the deal for use of his likeness after he dies. Considering his love of paychecks, I have a feeling his reanimated digital corpse will be around

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
I'm just waiting for them to recapture David Prowse's likeness.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Fords likeness rights should be given to Conan O'Brien

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

You just know they’ve already had James Earl Jones record every word in the English language so he can voice Darth Vader in perpetuity.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Episode XI - No, We Swear, Luke Canonically Did Not Molest Kylo

Barudak
May 7, 2007

General Dog posted:

You just know they’ve already had James Earl Jones record every word in the English language so he can voice Darth Vader in perpetuity.

Every different intonation and place in a sentence too, each day he records a single new word until it is flawless, Disney imagineers frantically trying to keep him alive long enough to reach enough words to create a Darth Vader opera.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I went down a rabbit hole of watching the stuntwork on Revenge Of The Sith, and it made me wonder something I kind of wanted to open up to the thread: do you think the Anakin/Obi-Wan duel at the end of the film is helped or hindered by the constant cutting back-and-forth between it and the Yoda/Palpatine fight? Watching how much extensive work was put into it by the actors, I almost wish the entire last twenty minutes had just been the duel between the heroes, with their conflict completely dominating the film during the last act. But I'm not sure how you'd integrate the other fight elsewhere, which is also important to the overall narrative for different reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Fart City posted:

I went down a rabbit hole of watching the stuntwork on Revenge Of The Sith, and it made me wonder something I kind of wanted to open up to the thread: do you think the Anakin/Obi-Wan duel at the end of the film is helped or hindered by the constant cutting back-and-forth between it and the Yoda/Palpatine fight? Watching how much extensive work was put into it by the actors, I almost wish the entire last twenty minutes had just been the duel between the heroes, with their conflict completely dominating the film during the last act. But I'm not sure how you'd integrate the other fight elsewhere, which is also important to the overall narrative for different reasons.

I think you can cut back and forth and have it be effective (as was the case in ESB and RoTJ and even TPM to a lesser extent), but it’s just too loving long and over the top either way.

I almost would’ve liked it more if the fight lasted three seconds and Obi Wan won by pulling a cheap trick.