Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Von Linus posted:

I was watching WCW Greed last night because I hate myself and I want to die and I thought Buff was amazing at being a dick. I think they wasted him so badly. The natural born thrillers squashed both him and Luger and I was sad.

Luger and Bagwell made a complete mockery of that match so don't be too sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
I can't remember if it was the split of the Steiners or right after it, but when buff came back after breaking his neck and played the sympathy return face thing for a little bit before turning on Rick Steiner it was the best total dickhead heeling he's ever done.

I don't know if I'd ever call buff "good" but he certainly came a long way from one half of American males (American males American males)

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

shiksa posted:

American males American males American males

If only there was a way to play this on loop any time someone reads this thread.

I’ve been having fun listening to Bischoff’s podcast 83 Weeks. It’s questionable how much of what he says is true, but it’s entertaining nonetheless. If anyone is looking for a good background noise podcast I’d recommend giving it a listen.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I want a time machine to pluck Bischoff from 1997-2001 and Bischoff from when he wrote his book to the modern day and then put them on stage with the Bischoff of today and let them all three argue and completely contradict the others on literally every story, then call the others morons.

One of the greatest liars in the business.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Tato posted:

I want a time machine to pluck Bischoff from 1997-2001 and Bischoff from when he wrote his book to the modern day and then put them on stage with the Bischoff of today and let them all three argue and completely contradict the others on literally every story, then call the others morons.

One of the greatest liars in the business.

I want a time machine to pluck Bischoff from 1997 and show him what he did wrong so WCW doesn't die.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

rare Magic card l00k posted:

I want a time machine to pluck Bischoff from 1997 and show him what he did wrong so WCW doesn't die.

a butterfly effect pseudo sequel where bischoff tries to go back to fix the booking to wcw but never quite saves it, and in the end he uhhhhhh. kills hulk Hogan in the womb or something? that movie was weird.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

the universe finally dies because of the mass of infinite eric bischoffs implodes Turner Studios into a black hole.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Once you have a machine that removes Bischoff from reality in 1997, you've done your job.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Once you have a machine that removes Bischoff from reality in 1997, you've done your job.

Ah yes, giving the company to Kevin Nash will save WCW.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

There's no universe where Bischoff doesn't gently caress up and then lie about it being a fuckup

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

You haven't done the job of saving WCW, just of saving it from Bischoff.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

two and a half years of big sexy presents monday nitro would be a good time for all the fellas though. just burning a billionaire's money and doing whatever until the suits start to notice then everyone scatters. i had a theater class in high school one year where the teacher left in the first month and a football coach was our sub so we just did breakfast club teen poo poo every day because he couldn't care less and the school certainly wasnt concerned what the theater kids were up to and of course it couldn't last, but it somehow did until almost the end of the year and it was awesome. and it was two periods and got honors credits so it was basically the public school equivalent of burning billionaire ted's money too.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

You'd have more success with stopping the AOL Time Warner merger if you've got a time machine and want to keep WCW alive.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

forkboy84 posted:

You'd have more success with stopping the AOL Time Warner merger if you've got a time machine and want to keep WCW alive.

Yeah, Bischoff, Russo and others take a ton of the heat but the merger is probably what actually killed WCW. Or at very least sped up the process.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

BGrifter posted:

Yeah, Bischoff, Russo and others take a ton of the heat but the merger is probably what actually killed WCW. Or at very least sped up the process.

WCW was losing so much money during the final year I really dont see how they would of been kept around even if the merger didn't happen.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

SatoshiMiwa posted:

WCW was losing so much money during the final year I really dont see how they would of been kept around even if the merger didn't happen.

There’s always the long shot of Ted Turner protecting WCW if he’s the one running the show. Did they have investors pre-merger?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

No matter what the state of WCW, the new management post-merger would have killed them. Even if WCW drew enough money to equal out on the balance sheets, whatever costcutting excuse would be thrown at them. There would be weirdoes going "well cant they do the show with just Hulk Hogan?" or equally silly things.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

97 might already be too late. You need to go back to late 96 and implant a spine into Bischoff so that he actually uses the momentum of the nWo angle to build up new young stars instead of just letting Hogan and Nash run roughshod over everyone.

Barring that, the best chance you have is to prevent him from ever meeting Jason Hervey. That way he might actually pay attention to WCW in 1998 instead of loving off to try and make it in Hollywood while the entire company kills itself in real time. Might be able to save Goldberg that way.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I doubt that Turner's soft spot for wrestling could have saved a company that was losing money like WCW. By the same token, I doubt that Warner would have Rural Purged WCW if it had continued to make 1998 every year. That made a nice "In the end, WCW got the ultimate swerve" narrative for The Death of WCW, but it seems spurious.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

At the very least, if it was still getting good ratings and not hemorrhaging money, they could have let someone else purchase WCW but maintain the timeslots on TBS and TNT. Not only were they hemorrhaging money, but the ratings were below the make-good rate advertisers were promised. There was just no reason for Time Warner to keep a company that was losing tons of money and also no longer competitive on television.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The ratings were still okay so if it wasn't losing money I don't see it getting cancelled but it was losing so much money I don't even think Ted would of been able to save it

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

The ratings were still okay so if it wasn't losing money I don't see it getting cancelled but it was losing so much money I don't even think Ted would of been able to save it

Thunder was below station average and was getting cancelled no matter what.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
WCW was doomed once Turner wasn't in charge. Eventually some executive or some bean counter was going to push for it to be cancelled. I mean one of the CEOs of Cartoon Network thought pivoting to Live Action was the future for a network called Cartoon Network.

Someone would have eventually taken over that wanted Wrestling gone because it was a low class look for the network. It doesn't help that not only do adverts on wrestling pay less then shows with similar ratings, but that certain advertisers will specifically write into their deals that they don't want their adverts to be on during wrestling shows because it's considered low brow.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

syzpid posted:

Someone would have eventually taken over that wanted Wrestling gone because it was a low class look for the network. It doesn't help that not only do adverts on wrestling pay less then shows with similar ratings, but that certain advertisers will specifically write into their deals that they don't want their adverts to be on during wrestling shows because it's considered low brow.

Why did the New Yorker keep advertising during Wrestling Challenge then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AidbSpdHje4

Wrestling ads are intellectual as hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCwzdzA-01Q

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
As someone that pretends to read the New Yorker, pro wrestling is not a smart way to spend their advertising budget.

It must have been a mistake or they didn’t care what the commercial ran during. Maybe it just had to be on Sunday mornings at 11 because somehow that fit the demo they wanted.

That hulk commercial must have been the classy versions they show before masterpiece theatre or American experience.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
My memory is failing me, was the thing with a lot of different Stings coming to the ring in WCW or TNA?

I just remember there being some Surfer Stings in among the Crow ones.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I do know that Jarrett loving loves dressing like Surfer Sting. He did it once in WCW and two or three times in TNA.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

There was certainly an ending of Nitro that involved a bunch of different Stings coming to the ring that the nWo dispatched one by one. Then Buff Bagwell accidentally found the REAL Sting who then cleaned house, but it was all Crow Stings.

I love Buff's little showboat dance before getting dropped

Tweak fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 28, 2019

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

MrBling posted:

My memory is failing me, was the thing with a lot of different Stings coming to the ring in WCW or TNA?

It definitely happened in WCW, but since Russo loves to redo stuff that's already been done, it probably happened in both.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Thanks to Brian and Vinny I'm watching this spring break 2000 episode of Nitro and there is so much hilarious stuff in this episode.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

You're conflating two WCW angles. One, from the good years, as mentioned, where Crow Sting after Crow Sting came to the ring to fight the nWo. The second, from the bad years, was a Russo PPV match against Jeff Jarrett where a Sting of every era showed up. Surfer Sting, Crow Sting, Wolfpac Sting, and even an old man Sting from the future.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Tato posted:

97 might already be too late. You need to go back to late 96 and implant a spine into Bischoff so that he actually uses the momentum of the nWo angle to build up new young stars instead of just letting Hogan and Nash run roughshod over everyone.

Barring that, the best chance you have is to prevent him from ever meeting Jason Hervey. That way he might actually pay attention to WCW in 1998 instead of loving off to try and make it in Hollywood while the entire company kills itself in real time. Might be able to save Goldberg that way.

Bischoff had spine. He didn't have foresight.
I'm wondering if at some point he was just considering WCW a smash-and-grab operation doomed to fail in the long run.
"Then why would he care that he started losing the Monday Night Wars?"
People have conflicting motivations sometimes.

Like me at FNM:
"Gods just let me lose this game quick so I can get out of here"
Also Me:
"I SWEAR THE GOD IF I LOSE THIS GAME I'M THROWING MYSELF INTO TRAFFIC!"

Also; there's the simple possibility that WCW couldn't succeed without Hogan and couldn't maintain that success because of Hogan.
What do you do with a mercenary, selfish diva with all the leverage in a business relationship?

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Mar 29, 2019

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I will never forget The Night of 1000 Stings, one of the best things WCW ever did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSRrXyrjUSk&t=190s

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

MrBling posted:

Lot of Stings was in WCW. In TNA, Russo only 'A Few Stings' when Sting was feuding with Mr. Anderson... Anderson and he dressed up as Surfer Sting among 3 other era Stings to attack Sting. Was really lame compared to the original, but then, that's par for the course in TNA.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Early years of TNA, pretty much every angle was a bad version of WCW, or to a lesser extent WWE/ECW, but at least they had AJ Styles and a handful of other guys who were elite in-ring performers.

I guess their audio quality wasn't as bad as WCW though? Most WCW shows I remember, it sounded like there was like one guy in the crowd holding up a mic and all the sound was going through that.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

rujasu posted:

Early years of TNA, pretty much every angle was a bad version of WCW, or to a lesser extent WWE/ECW, but at least they had AJ Styles and a handful of other guys who were elite in-ring performers.

I guess their audio quality wasn't as bad as WCW though? Most WCW shows I remember, it sounded like there was like one guy in the crowd holding up a mic and all the sound was going through that.

Yeah I noticed that about WCW shows. They all sound really quiet even though you can see people going mental. Also their ring looks solid compared to the WWE bouncy ring. Would not fancy that at all.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

rujasu posted:

TNA's early audio was terrible. Not indie level but very rough. Their whole production was horrible.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
WCW also never learned how to shoot the audience, so you'd have events like the aforementioned Collision in Korea show which still holds the record for largest wrestling crowd, and yet the way it was filmed makes it look like a few thousand people were there.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

WCW also never learned how to shoot the audience, so you'd have events like the aforementioned Collision in Korea show which still holds the record for largest wrestling crowd, and yet the way it was filmed makes it look like a few thousand people were there.

I don't think a WCW crew shot that show. It was mainly a NJPW show with some WCW involvement and the rights to distribute the PPV in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Out of curiosity, the people complaining about the audio. Have you watched the nice quality HD versions on the WWE Network? Because everything sounds fine there.