Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
not a huge fan of the game making GBS threads out a dozen+ enemies on me from thee sky when i am fighting some high hp hunt mon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Ibblebibble posted:

Coils has the best story, but Omega has the best fights IMO. Alexander is so-so. Has dope music at least.

I think my entire feeling on all of the end-game/expansion raids in XIV is skewed by how good Locus, Brute Justice and Rise are.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FF14 1.0 is bad in a non interesting way. It was devoid of content and chock full of copy-pasting so brazen youd notice it opening any map in the game. Theres no comedy to be wrung from it, its like trying to laugh at a copy of any of the 50 generic SNES racing games.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i played episode ignis and imo it has like the best music in the game. also hit u with the main ff theme right at the emotional climax very cheap

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Super No Vacancy posted:

i played episode ignis and imo it has like the best music in the game. also hit u with the main ff theme right at the emotional climax very cheap

I beat it today too after beating the main game. I previously did it shortly after the event happens in the story, but did it again for the alt ending.

After the main game it should just had this appear and rewind to the Igris choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLBHLBLKhPg

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Anyone try the FF7 retranslation?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

seiferguy posted:

If you've had a friend who's never played a final fantasy game, which one would you have them play? Gut instinct for me is 9, basically something that isn't too complicated and also wouldn't make you miserable?

I'll be honest, I would not recommend 9 as a first FF to anyone, even if I love it, because it's just so slow-paced. In my personal experience I've seen some weird-rear end poo poo from people who never FF'd before. The usual suspects (6 through 10) don't seem to click with non-fans very much. I have a friend who's a console gamer who tried 7 and loved it but found the combat insufferable, tried 15 and loved the combat (which I don't) but found the story insufferable, tried 6 and found everything about it bad, then he played 4 and it made him feel nostalgic for... games he never played before (he never played JRPGs from that era), for some odd reason, and after beating 4 he played 6/7/10 in that order.

Everyone I know who got into FFs from scratch in their 30s had to undergo some really strange story or game order.

I think it's completely random, and at this point I just say "try any of them for 5 minutes until one of them clicks".

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

The real answer is to reccomend FF1

Barudak
May 7, 2007

sponges posted:

The real answer is to reccomend FF1

They already played and liked it

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I really wish I could play FFXIV as a single player game. Unfortunately, these truths exist.

1. I do not bring in enough money to support a multiplayer game with a subscriptions
2. I have an addictive enough personality that I know I'd be sucked into it
3. Unless I had friends to take the plunge with, I wouldn't even be able to dive into an MMO

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Honestly even though IX is by personal favorite if I were going to recommend a first game to someone I'd probably go with X. Great story, beautiful visuals, great cast, and the gameplay is a good balance of engaging and simplicity.

Also it's hard to top the opening Zanarkand cutscene with Otherworld playing for kickass intros to a game.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Onmi posted:

I really wish I could play FFXIV as a single player game. Unfortunately, these truths exist.

1. I do not bring in enough money to support a multiplayer game with a subscriptions
2. I have an addictive enough personality that I know I'd be sucked into it
3. Unless I had friends to take the plunge with, I wouldn't even be able to dive into an MMO
Once you solve 1, 3 is handled by so many goons existing :shobon:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Gologle posted:

You can go forward with FF14 ARR, or you can go back with 1.0. Ever one foot forward.
Forward and back

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Barudak posted:

They already played and liked it

If they like FF1 I'd probably try FF5 next, it's the best one that is a direct successor of what 1does. Then either FF10, 7 or 15 for something different.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Failboattootoot posted:

Never got the coil love. T9 was bad enough that I gave up on raiding entirely and the writing was still ARR tier right up until t12 (which I know because I unsyn'c it eventually in hw)

Never got the hate for T9; I thought it was pretty fun and sufficiently challenging. In comparison, T13 was kind of boring for long stretches of the fight.

Gordias was some straight up raid-killing poo poo (I speak from personal experience) and the rest of Alexander was littered with some boring to just bad fights off-set by the music. Alex himself was fun, but I never did his savage raid.

I would have loved to have been able to do Omega Savage though (except Middy, all I've heard is that the fight is just terrible)

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

MechaX posted:

Never got the hate for T9; I thought it was pretty fun and sufficiently challenging. In comparison, T13 was kind of boring for long stretches of the fight.

Because its a 9-13 minute long fight and once you've got the first 7 minutes of the fight down, repeating them over and over trying to make it through that last bit was awful and that's when I caught on that the encounter design in this game just isn't for me. If they ever add in the ability to practice phases on their own though, I might get back into into it.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

T9 seems uniquely hard in terms of non-Savage content, just because you only need like one or two people to screw up or not get mechanics and it's all over. Most of the story-mode raids in the expansions, you can go in with a PUG and you can have like 3/8ths of the team be totally clueless and get carried by the other 5

(I'm speaking as someone who has been both carrier and carried in this situation)

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

rujasu posted:

T9 seems uniquely hard in terms of non-Savage content, just because you only need like one or two people to screw up or not get mechanics and it's all over. Most of the story-mode raids in the expansions, you can go in with a PUG and you can have like 3/8ths of the team be totally clueless and get carried by the other 5

(I'm speaking as someone who has been both carrier and carried in this situation)

I'm the same. I die a lot to mechanics and other runs I don't die at all. I also usually see that I'm doing the most damage in both scenarios, but every so often some teacher's pet comes along and does the most damage and doesn't die leaving me behind in the dust.

I also play a lot while drunk :thunk:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
play 9, 1, 2, TA, 4, CC, 10, 5, TA2, 10-2, T, 12, and Tactics Ogre, in that order

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

jokes posted:

every so often some teacher's pet comes along and does the most damage and doesn't die leaving me behind in the dust.
back when I played 14 I was always so sorry for these people because they had to put up with me

like, sure, I was doing shitloads of damage, but I was also taking hits unnecessarily and loving up mechanics

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

dang are they really still adding new songs to arcade theatrhythm every month. cmon square wheres the next gen port

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

If they ever do a Switch port or w/e I'm going to miss the touch controls from the 3DS games

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don't play MMOs so I get annoyed every time a mainline numbered entry in a series like Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest ends up becoming one. Instead going with Final Fantasy XI, they should have called It Final Fantasy Online, and then gone with Final Fantasy Online 2 with XIV. I got multiple ways of playing every Final Fantasy except for XI and XIV. And since they're MMOs, there's going to be content that is lost to time because servers shut off/events end/reboots. It's even more annoying with Dragon Quest X since they never even brought it over here.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Detective No. 27 posted:

I don't play MMOs so I get annoyed every time a mainline numbered entry in a series like Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest ends up becoming one. Instead going with Final Fantasy XI, they should have called It Final Fantasy Online, and then gone with Final Fantasy Online 2 with XIV. I got multiple ways of playing every Final Fantasy except for XI and XIV. And since they're MMOs, there's going to be content that is lost to time because servers shut off/events end/reboots. It's even more annoying with Dragon Quest X since they never even brought it over here.

Just youtube the story bits because the gameplay is the same lovely "push buttons, wait for cooldowns, repeat, reposition sometimes" as every other MMO and the only thing vaguely Final Fantasy esque thing about the gameplay is the job system.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

DrNutt posted:

Just youtube the story bits because the gameplay is the same lovely "push buttons, wait for cooldowns, repeat, reposition sometimes" as every other MMO and the only thing vaguely Final Fantasy esque thing about the gameplay is the job system.

No that sucks.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

DrNutt posted:

It's legit one of the few FF games with fun gameplay/encounters that were thought through at all and that level of reductionism can be said about literally every rpg.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's legit one of the few FF games with fun gameplay/encounters that were thought through at all and that level of reductionism can be said about literally every rpg.

But actually no.

Detective No. 27 posted:

No that sucks.

:shrug: Forever a mystery to you then I guess. I thought playing 1-50 was entertaining enough to be worth a month or two sub but ymmv.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 29, 2019

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

DrNutt posted:

That's more complex than most FF games tbh

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I think the only FF I really enjoy in terms of gameplay is FF13: LR and then 14 to a certain extent. I like a bunch of the other games too of course, but I don’t find the gameplay in most of them to be anything special.

The FF series got its hooks in me early when 9 year old me saw the opening to FF8 and thought it was the most badass thing ever. That’s basically all I really want from the games.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Detective No. 27 posted:

you don't have to play every numbered entry in the series, the big roman numerals don't mean anything. though i suppose there is an alternate timeline where ff13 versus is the true ff13

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Help Im Alive posted:

If they ever do a Switch port or w/e I'm going to miss the touch controls from the 3DS games

Would they not work on the switch touchscreen?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

DrNutt posted:

If they released a single player RPG that had MMO combat, I'd be all over that. More action and movement than menu based games, better combat than hold X. Throw in gambits to control your party members, and it would be solid. You even get a good selection of abilities without going apeshit on the hotbar.

Drop latency and poo poo out of the equation, and you can even action it up a bit with better dodging and mechanics.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

If they released a single player RPG that had MMO combat, I'd be all over that. More action and movement than menu based games, better combat than hold X. Throw in gambits to control your party members, and it would be solid. You even get a good selection of abilities without going apeshit on the hotbar.

Drop latency and poo poo out of the equation, and you can even action it up a bit with better dodging and mechanics.

Hell yeah man, I also really enjoyed Final Fantasy 12 and the Steam version is a great port.

:haw:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Looper posted:

you don't have to play every numbered entry in the series, the big roman numerals don't mean anything. though i suppose there is an alternate timeline where ff13 versus is the true ff13

I just hate that I have like 8 different ways of playing the original Final Fantasy that came out over thirty years ago, and yet the version of Final Fantasy XIV that it launched with a few years ago is lost to time. I don't care that it was garbage.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

MikeJF posted:

Would they not work on the switch touchscreen?

The Switch doesn’t have a stylus, though no clue how well fingers would work.

But I don’t care, where’s my loving Theatrhythm MMORPG?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

DrNutt posted:

Hell yeah man, I also really enjoyed Final Fantasy 12 and the Steam version is a great port.

:haw:

FFXII doesn't have MMO style combat though. If it did, it would have been a vast improvement.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
your allies dont slide down the ice with you in this dungeon

guess that was too much hassle to program in

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

FF XIV loving owns, hth

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
FF14 is bad because all video games are bad, but besides that it’s good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

FFXII doesn't have MMO style combat though. If it did, it would have been a vast improvement.

Gross no. Gambits were good though.