Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

OhFunny posted:

I can't believe the new Siren is just Brick's D&D OC.

Her name is Brick and she is the prettiest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Kung Fu Siren is the only thing keeping my interest outside of maybe the hobobatman character.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Judge Tesla posted:

Can't believe there's still a dumb useless turret guy but I suppose there has to be a default option for people to go to in a hurry, I still remember BL1 being mostly Rolands in random online play.

Never having to worry about Ammo ever again goes a long ways

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I just played TPS like 2 weeks ago and Jack is clearly evil throughout most of the story. Moxxi also calls him out on that when she betrays him.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Megazver posted:

Randy literally in bed with the Epic Store guy.

that's a coffin which is probably more apropos

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

You guys think they'll actually make the PC UI not suck this time?

God I hope they make the PC UI not suck this time. :(

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9Gu1PspA3Y&t=160s

Who is the guy next to Hammerlock and Aurelia? At 2:40 if the timecode doesnt work.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think that might be Zedd without his smock and mask, fully embracing his inner wastelander.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
My guess is another unknown Hammerlock

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Chernabog posted:

I just played TPS like 2 weeks ago and Jack is clearly evil throughout most of the story. Moxxi also calls him out on that when she betrays him.

Jack is clearly power-hungry throught the entire game, but there's a moment early on where he kills the mayor which seems to flip a switch in him. Like, "wow, so I can just kill anyone who gets in my way...and it feels awesome!" So I guess you could call that his fall from grace, technically.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 29, 2019

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is it just going to be a free upgrade on Steam? I have BL1 Game of the Year Edition on disk.

You might still be able to get the Steam version via this method
https://support.2k.com/hc/en-us/articles/202552173--PC-Borderlands-GameSpy-Shutdown-and-Conversion-Tool

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Clarste posted:

Jack is clearly power-hungry throught the entire game, but there's a moment early on where he kills the mayor which seems to flip a switch in him. Like, "wow, so I can just kill anyone who gets in my way...and it feels awesome!" So I guess you could call that his fall from grace, technically.

Yeah, that's right. My point is that I doubt anybody goes in thinking Jack is a good guy, unless maybe you are just getting into BL and plays them in chronological order. And even if you were, that gets cleared pretty fast.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

It has been half a decade and I'm still really annoyed that they did Tannis so dirty in Borderlands 2. Those logs detailing her arrival on Pandora in the first game set the tone of the game world SO much better than nearly anything else in the whole thing, and then Borderlands 2 is like "but what if instead of tragic she was just zany and wacky"

edit: I really like the writing in all the Borderlands games but the ever-continuing shift toward saturday morning cartoon humor was really not the direction I wanted the series to go. I laugh at the Butt Stallion jokes, because they are funny, but it ain't what I imagined Borderlands would become after really enjoying the first game's tone.

It probably helps that they supposedly changed the whole visual style of Borderlands 1 towards the end of development.
With BL2 they had a weird visual style to begin with, which probably contributed to the the tone going further towards toilet humor and such. Overusing Claptrap didn't help.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

The problem with jack in tps is that it reframes his motives in 2 as being driven by revenge which makes him a lot less interesting as a villain. it also paints the vault hunters in a worse light and just overall is a bad time

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

watho posted:

The problem with jack in tps is that it reframes his motives in 2 as being driven by revenge which makes him a lot less interesting as a villain. it also paints the vault hunters in a worse light and just overall is a bad time

Not really...? He's got the same psychopathic hero complex as he does in BL2, and even his backstory as a low-level employee with an rear end in a top hat boss comes from BL2 audio logs. I mean I guess there's Dahl kind of being assholes too, but they don't actually do anything to Jack personally that would justify any feelings of revenge, imo. No more than the protagonists of BL2 do to him early on anyway. Heck, Dahl is even portrayed as being relatively honorable compared to him, doing everything they can to stop the Vault from being opened.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Let's not let Lilith get away either. The whole of Borderlands 2 could have been avoided if she just shot him in the loving face instead of just punching him and peacing out right there at the end.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I just realized you mean he wants revenge on Lilith, which I guess is fair in that it's slightly different. But I feel like it doesn't really change his attitude towards them (vermin who get in his way), it just means he met them a little sooner in his life.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

David D. Davidson posted:

Let's not let Lilith get away either. The whole of Borderlands 2 could have been avoided if she just shot him in the loving face instead of just punching him and peacing out right there at the end.

yeah the takeaway from tps is “all of 2 could’ve been easily avoided” and is probably my second least favorite sequel in terms of giving backstory that ruins everything

Clarste posted:

I just realized you mean he wants revenge on Lilith, which I guess is fair in that it's slightly different. But I feel like it doesn't really change his attitude towards them (vermin who get in his way), it just means he met them a little sooner in his life.

It changes it from them being vermin who gets in his way to him destroying pandora specifically to get revenge

watho fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 29, 2019

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He's also just not as compelling in TPS, which can be said for pretty much everyone. BL2 gets a lot of rightful flak for going too hard on the wacky nonsense, but at least it was never boring.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

watho posted:

It changes it from them being vermin who gets in his way to him destroying pandora specifically to get revenge

Those aren't different things to him. His attitude in TPS and BL2 are exactly the same: brutally murder anyone who could even remotely get in his way, preferably before they get in his way (like with the new Vault Hunters in BL2), but afterward works fine too. I just don't see a meaningful change in his attitude. TPS absolutely does not read to me as "he is now motivated solely by revenge."

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Clarste posted:

His attitude in TPS and BL2 are exactly the same: brutally murder anyone who could even remotely get in his way

He has few scruples, but that is not TPS Jack. Not at the outset.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Bugsy posted:

Who is the guy next to Hammerlock and Aurelia? At 2:40 if the timecode doesnt work.

Probably Timothy, Jack's bodydouble from TPS.

Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.

Bugsy posted:

Could just be incorrectly remembering bullshit fake spoilers, but I remember that guy supposedly being Tannis' Dad.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Oh man, Rhys is back, and he figured out ties.

...And some questionable choices in facial hair.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Judge Tesla posted:

pretty sure he's the guy you kill in Opportunity

also it's probably just a third hammerlock sibling

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Rinkles posted:

He has few scruples, but that is not TPS Jack. Not at the outset.

It is by like 20% of the way through the game. They don't like, super focus on it until a specific cutscene later, but that's only because most of the people in his way happen to assholes too, and frankly killing everyone is kind of the basic Borderlands gameplay anyway so it doesn't stand out at all.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Kerrzhe posted:

pretty sure he's the guy you kill in Opportunity

timothy lawrence underwent full plastic surgery to become jack

the body double you kill in opportunity is using a holographic disguise

they are not the same person

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I get that the story for TPS is poo poo but the game is still my favorite of the three. Freeze stuff and jetpack around like there's no tomorrow. Also the like character banter or whatever it's called seems much more robust in TPS than BL2, you actually get lines that are not related to idling or combat.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Do you get the additional DLC for free when the Borderlands 2 update comes out on Steam on the 3rd? I got the impression they decided to throw the DLC in for existing owners but not sure

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Do you get the additional DLC for free when the Borderlands 2 update comes out on Steam on the 3rd? I got the impression they decided to throw the DLC in for existing owners but not sure

don't think so. free dlc was for borderlands 1, or rather you get the remaster with all the dlc regardless if you own the dlc or not.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

apropos of nothing in particular, some of the hate for this series is crazy

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Jibo posted:

I get that the story for TPS is poo poo but the game is still my favorite of the three. Freeze stuff and jetpack around like there's no tomorrow. Also the like character banter or whatever it's called seems much more robust in TPS than BL2, you actually get lines that are not related to idling or combat.

Also though the story itself might not have been stellar I really liked the framing device of the narration with character commentary, especially when the second playthrough was Brick and Tiny Tina asking for the story to be told again but "make it sound harder and change all the bad guys names and stuff".

I'd be up for that again, even if it was just for the second playthrough with the characters now telling the story in a bar or something.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I want to play this game with my friends. :)

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Judge Tesla posted:

Who was it in TPS that offered to fix his face? Moxxi?

Jibo posted:

I thought the story was good, but it had so little content. Unless you did some glitches you had to do 3-4 play throughs of UHVM to hit max level. Some key missions were across wide open areas that blocked vehicles. Not much to do endgame but farm glitches, dupe legendaries for the grinder, and play as claptrap to troll teams when no one can revive anybody until vaulthunter.exe goes on cool down.

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Mar 30, 2019

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's either too little content or too much content not in keeping with the level scaling, which kinda sucks. In Borderlands 2 a lot of fun sidequests would become pointless because you're so overleveled that any fun unique weapons you could get from them would immediately be obsolete. If there was a way to scale unique weapons with red text to keep up with your level it would be so much better.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

at the very least tvhm should've level scaled everything

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
There should be a npc you pay moonstones / Eridium/ cash or maybe a grinder where you can level up weapons. It really doesn’t hurt the game experience.

After the first vanilla play through cheat engine or gibbed get opened for some quality of life mission resets or altering the drop rate so everything gets bumped up, greens and up.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Kaubocks posted:

timothy lawrence underwent full plastic surgery to become jack

the body double you kill in opportunity is using a holographic disguise

they are not the same person

aw heck woops

i never played any DLC for TPS so i never really got into timothy's story. do we know what happened to him?

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Kaubocks i need you to weigh in on rhystache

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I really dig Gearbox's trailer music choices.