Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Mugiwara Yoshi takes the reigns again after several years for an LP we've wanted to do for even longer!

The game
Pikmin 3 brings the modestly-successful, genre-bending series to the not-very-successful, dead-in-the-water Wii U. The game makes use of the Wii U's tablet for multiple new gameplay functions, including allowing you to see everything across the whole map, having different teams of Pikmin operate independently, and have your characters interact like actual characters for once and not just take orders from their ship. We also get two new Pikmin in place of the Purples and Whites: Rock Pikmin, which can be thrown around to break glass and resist piercing or crushing attacks, and Winged Pikmin, which are able to fly in the face of the developers' intentions.
The game finds a middle ground in the level of peril between the first two games. Where Pikmin had you recover your ship parts in a strict 30 day time limit, and 2 had you collect treasure with no limit at all, 3 requires you to gather fruits to survive which extend the time you have. Because there is only overground and no long underground caves again, this does mean the game won't take very long at all - 15 in-game days max.
A sometimes challenging, if not particularly long, game with a bit of a learning curve, Pikmin 3 is at least worth the time we waited between its release and 2's.

The story is such:
You are Alph, Brittany and Charlie from the planet Koppai - scientists who are sent to the Pikmin planet to gather fruit seeds to bring back home and save the starving population. Having reliably crashed their ship like Pikmin protagonists are supposed to, they only have three days of food reserves left and must gather more fruits to juice. Discovering the Pikmin and how to utilize them on their own, they set out to gather as many fruits as they can to save their planet and themselves from starving. Along the way, they discover that some previous visitors may not have left yet...

The LP:
Yoshi will be gathering all of the fruits and upgrades, as well as occasionally including alternate takes to show off tricks or sequence breaks. The expected length of the LP is 14-16 days. He won't be so intent on keeping all of his Pikmin alive this time around, because goddamn, let a guy ease back into LPing.
I (ThornBrain) have also played and beaten the game, so I too will have relevant info to provide, but I'll more likely handle the quipping job.
----------------------------

----------------------------

(By BrennaOkazaki)

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Wow, two Pikmin 3 LPs going on at the same time. I've never played any of the Pikmin titles, but the game seems very interesting so far. I'm really glad that you're LPing this, too, ThornBrain.

Edit: The first TheStrawatsNO! LP I've watched not played (or main commented) by ThornBrain. Takes a time to get used to, but Yoshi is a good host.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 12, 2019

masam
May 27, 2010
Ground floor! Looking forward to this, I loved your Pikmin 2 LP and was wondering when you guys would get around to this one!

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Let's see which pair of gets fewer Pikmin horribly murdered accidentally euthanized in our quests to get all of the fruit!

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

We all need a friend we can throw through windows.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
The fact that Alph, Brittany and Charlie are fleshed out, speaking characters is nice since aside from Olimar's monologues the only speaking characters were the President and the ship.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Olive Branch posted:

Let's see which pair of gets fewer Pikmin horribly murdered accidentally euthanized martyred in our quests to get all of the fruit!

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
What respawns and what doesn't respawn between days?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I don't think anything respawns. Since we're missing a lot of pikmin, we cannot access several areas in the earlier maps, and have to come back to them later. There's one kind of special berry that respawns not just between days, but during a day also, but I think that's the only exception. Enemies, pellets, fruits, bridge parts, pikmin, etc. all don't respawn. There's even a big hint that damage to bosses persists to the next day.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Enemies definitely respawn over time. It's not immediately but wait a few days and come back and enemies will start to return. Pellet posies also respawn daily.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Crashing at the start? Sure, par for the course. Crashing again? You need to go home.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Alph probably repaired the Drake after that near crash while Brittany gathered the yellow pikmin.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Olive Branch posted:

Let's see which pair of gets fewer Pikmin horribly murdered accidentally euthanized martyred in our quests to get all of the fruit! KILL RACE KILL RACE KILL RACE

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
After watching the Pikmin 2 highlights, I noticed that the pikmin don't sing when bored/walking in a group in this game.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
You needed twenty of each available type in 2, we haven't found all the Pikmin types of this game yet and that's not gonna happen for at least another couple videos based on Maple's LP.

And now thanks to the post video chat, I want a parody of Wooly Bully named "Screwy Louie".

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yoshi, you're burning through this game like crazy.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I actually explained the issue in the other Pikmin 3 LP thread:

Chimera-gui posted:

Koppaites are also only capable of metabolizing a substance called Piktamin U. It is explained by Brittany that Pikpik Carrots do not contain Piktamin U which is the reason why Hocotate Freight, the company Olimar and Louie work for, could not help with Koppai's food crisis. Fortunately, the massive fruits found on PNF-404 contain large amounts of this substance

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Sorry! I completely forgot to update the thread last time, so have two parts with two different bosses that Yoshi just wrecks.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
I for one can't wait to see my favorite character in this franchise, the Dumple.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Sormus posted:

I for one can't wait to see my favorite character in this franchise, the Dumple.

Nobody likes the dumple

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Our favorite new Pikmin and our favorite old loser, discovered together!

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I held off on sharing this until Thorn posted the episode where he and Yoshi discuss the merits of redesigning the Pikmin and found the Pink Winged Pikmin as a courtesy but I found this weeks ago and wanted to share it with the LP:

Splitster on tumblr posted:

i know pikmin redesigns have been done before but I got in abit of a slump and thought, hey, that would be fun to do, so here i am!!

i even wrote little fake entries (from olimar’s perspective) on them below if you want to read them!

Blue Pikmin:

These guys have a cute face, but you may have to satisfy yourself by simply watching. They’re…very hard to catch. Not only are they slippery, but they seem prone to running away from me. This can make them somewhat of a nuisance during combat. They’re easily distracted by bodies of water, and are very fond of swimming. Additionally, I’ve slipped more times than I care to admit on the puddles they leave behind…Oh my stars, I simply cannot bring myself to be cross with them when looking at that face…!

Red Pikmin:

What a personality these Pikmin have…I accidentally threw one in the water once, and after whistling it out, it blew smoke directly at my face! My filtration is good, but it still made me cough. These Pikmin are fiery, able to withstand any heat and deal it back. Be cautious when handling these Pikmin, for holding one for too long can singe your suit. If you’re careless, it can burn all the way through! I must admit, however, that I’m rather fond of these Pikmin…You have to admire that fiery determination!

Yellow Pikmin:

One of these touched my Hocopad as I was writing this entry, overloaded the circuitry, and made me lose all my progress! Now I have to write it again…Ugh…Anyways, your hands will feel numb after throwing a few of these Pikmin. No matter what I try to insulate my gloves with, their spark always gets through. These Pikmin love to bask in anything electric, and they store the energy in their small bodies. Keep in mind, however, that they’re incredibly mischievous, so if you feel a random shock during the day, a yellow probably ran up to you and poked you. Trust me, I’ve documented this behavior. Extensively…

Purple Pikmin:

I think I owe these Pikmin thanks for being as strong as I am now! Throwing them is a real workout. After first encountering them, I sprained my back when I foolishly thought I could throw twenty of them consecutively. Louie was smart by declining to do it (Or maybe just lazy?). They have the strength and weight of ten Pikmin, and can deal quite the wallop to an enemy. Also, they give amazing hugs! Louie discovered this on accident; I found him being squeezed by one, and it brought my heart to such a flutter to see something so compassionate! Although, the concerned look on Louie’s face makes me think he thought otherwise…

White Pikmin:

I confess, I was very startled when I first saw these Pikmin. I thought perhaps it was a regular Pikmin that had fallen terribly ill…but upon further examination, it was revealed to be an entirely new species of Pikmin! They’re small and quick, and their bodies are saturated with poison. Be sure to wipe off any drool that falls on you hastily, as it will burn through your suit. I had to fortify the ship’s cargo bay, which previously just held purples, so that it wouldn’t melt the metal. I’m astonished that the whites seem to get along with all the other Pikmin just fine…If I were a Pikmin, I’d stay away from that acidic spit!

Rock Pikmin:

A peculiar species of Pikmin, this one seems to establish its life entirely within a rock shell. This shell is capable of shattering crystallized objects (and leaving dents in your spaceship if your coworker has a horrible aim). The shell’s inhabitant has never been viewed. Note to any future explorers: Do not attempt to view the Pikmin living within the shell. I tried once to pull it out of it’s shell, and the noises it made were horrifying…Not to mention, I was almost immediately surrounded by other rock Pikmin, all staring ominously at me…I’m getting shivers just remembering it. I’ll leave that one a mystery…

Winged Pikmin:

I almost attacked this Pikmin, mistaking it as an enemy, but realized that it was in fact a new species of Pikmin! It seems to be the only species with two antennae, and its physical characteristics lead me to hypothesize that it evolved to embody more insectoid traits, such as wings. These are the only flight capable Pikmin, but they’re also quite weak. Just be wary if you have some in your collection, as turning around and having one of them right in your face can induce miniature heart attacks.

Puffmin:

Seeing these Pikmin always twists my heart… They always have such a miserable look on their face; it drives me to free them as quickly as I possibly can. These Pikmin have been transformed due to the effect of the Puffstool’s spores, and will fight against me and their fellow Pikmin. To think they endured such a horrific transformation in such a short period of time…it horrifies me. Thank the stars for my filtration system! I wouldn’t want to know what would happen if I breathed in any of those spores…

Lulti
Nov 28, 2016
Let the Dumple roasting commence,
because nobody likes the Dumple.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

What's a Dumple?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Commander Keene posted:

What's a Dumple?

A miserable pile of good intentions and broken dreams.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
Imagine a living dumpling, made of snot and filled with sadness.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Sormus posted:

Imagine a living dumpling, made of snot and filled with sadness.

Don’t doxx me.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Sing us a song, you're the saliva harp

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

We left Louie behind last time, so let's pick him and a few other things up before we move on.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
In terms of an average playthough, Maple Leaf and Olive Branch are doing an LP (which you should watch since beyond them being good LPers every pikmin lost is a dollar Maple Leaf is donating to scleroderma research and if the DK64 stream taught me anything it's that charity Let's Plays are the very best kind) and by the looks of it, since Maple Leaf is familiar with the series but seems to be playing Pikmin 3 blind he seems on track to beat the game somewhere in between 25-30 days.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

I wonder if Louie will be our new frie- well poo poo.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

ThornBrain posted:

I wonder if Louie will be our new frie- well poo poo.

What a jerk. Are you going to feed him to the Onion next time you "rescue" him?

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I feel he'd eat the Onion if you tried that.

Anyway, I find funny that despite being substantially different to Purples, Winged Pikmin somehow end up being OP as hell just by virtue of being able to fly. It's no loving wonder flight is one of the most desired super powers in the world.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Louie lasted five seconds before exploding.

I'm impressed!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Shei-kun posted:

Louie lasted five seconds before exploding.

I'm impressed!

Rampant explosions and space suit that puts you into sleep mode when under stress.

No wonder he can survive nights on Planet Pikmin.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I feel like a space suit that puts you to sleep when you're under stress is probably more harm than good?

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

The Garden of Hope has ways to make you feel hopeless.

As I mention at the end of the video, Pikmin 3 will be taking a short break to instead do the Six Day Challenge for the first Pikmin. Tomorrow is our channel's 9th anniversary, and the first LP Yoshi and I did just the two of us was Pikmin on an old LP channel shortly before we started TheStrawhatNO, so we're revisiting it to celebrate. We're holding a livestream on TSN's YouTube streaming page to look back on some of our oldest videos; if some parts of Pikmin are ready, then we'll be commentating them live; and I'll be replaying some of Bomberman Hero, which I did for TSN's first official LP (excludes the others before that were canned or were completely lost due to BlipTV going under). I'll post here when the stream starts, which should be 3PM Pacific, 6PM Eastern.

Pikmin may get posted to its own thread, but it should only take a max of 3 weeks' worth of updates since it will be uploaded the same days, so Pikmin 3 will be back in early May.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
TheStrawhatNO's 9th Birthday Celebration and Retrospective
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXsZJTi1GJ8

We didn't get to commentate Pikmin due to having so much to talk about and old videos to watch, but it was still 7 hours of a great time.

We did get a lovely piece of Pikmin fanart from BrennaOkazaki though!

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Apr 14, 2019

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Update on Pikmin 1: due to Forest of Hope being a nightmare to try to complete in one day (Yoshi's done dozens of attempts over several days and no dice), he's sadly dropping the 6 day challenge and aiming more for 7 days. It'll still be speedy, just with some extra breathing room, and at least the rest of the game will go much smoother for him. Gonna aim for Day 1 to go up on Friday, or failing that next Tuesday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Putting this LP on hold for a bit while Yoshi and I do Pikmin 1, which has its own thread now. Yoshi finally settled on doing it under 10 days.