Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I just don't get how Orphan can be your superhero name when you are in a group where I'm pretty sure every single person is an Orphan except Damian. And I guess Kate? Just a lot or Orphans in the superhero biz. It'd be like naming yourself Superhero or Martial Artist.

The Orphan is marketable, what would you call her, Miss Sensetive??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Alaois posted:

The Orphan is marketable, what would you call her, Miss Sensetive??
The Quipster, with supporting cast Snark Lass, Scowl Woman, and Streaky the Suffer-Cat

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I still liked Black Bat.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Dick should have stayed as Batman and Cass should have been the new Nightwing :colbert:

Do they call her Orphan? I mostly see everyone calling her Cass, with Orphan being throwed once in a while.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I just don't get how Orphan can be your superhero name when you are in a group where I'm pretty sure every single person is an Orphan except Damian. And I guess Kate? Just a lot or Orphans in the superhero biz. It'd be like naming yourself Superhero or Martial Artist.

She also has a mom, which makes the name that much sillier. I'm not sure if her being adopted carried over too? Just stacking up parents and parental figures.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I don't remember B+RE too well, but her father had the 'Orphan' name first, and she took it when he went from villain to hero and sacrificed himself to kill the baddie.
I dunno if she ever got a confirmed mum in the N52, but I didn't read Nightwing or wherever N52 Lady Shiva turned up.

edit: Ha. There's a whole arc in Tynion's Detective on Cass and Shiva that I definitely read and don't remember at all.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Mar 29, 2019

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I do like that in one of Tynion's final 'Tec issues, I think Babs points out how unhealthy it is that she took the name to honor her dead father who was nothing but terrible to her. Too bad nothing came of it, like, say, a good codename.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MonsterEnvy posted:

I still liked Black Bat.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/TheDCUniverse/status/1111790412732067840

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

:lol:

I fully expect this to cost $20 a month.

Edit: oh poo poo $7.99.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 30, 2019

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Less if you prepay 💀

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

New Det logo.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

New Det logo.

That's an awful logo. Also why are they just reusing the armor from the third Batman game?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I can't wait to read Batman Detective!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Over the years, I bet the word 'Batman' has been in the logo more often than not.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I was going to say that the new logo treatment is an homage to an old one but besides the "bat logo shape" it really isn't. TF is correct that Batman's name has taken equal/bigger billing for much of Detective's run. It was mostly just a picture of Batman's face next to the DETECTIVE logo for most of the 1950s, but as of about sixty years ago:

The arrangement's a little different but almost every issue's logo has read BATMAN DETECTIVE comics for about 18 years of using the same treatment, save for the New 52 switching things up (and the book being BATWOMAN DETECTIVE comics) for a year or so.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The new one reminds me of Brave and the Bold

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It’s based off the logo from Tomasi’s Batman and Robin run.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yeah. I'd guess it's a Rian Hughes.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I'm just enjoying the Johnsian literalism of Arkham Knight apparently being an actual knight with sword and shield.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Open Marriage Night posted:

It’s based off the logo from Tomasi’s Batman and Robin run.
I... guess?

Both of these seem to be riffs on the very first Batman logo from 1940

Which had the letters contract into the 'bat' for the Batman 66 TV Show

Then made less campy for the O'Neil/Adams era

And less campy yet!

Anyway my point is that putting words inside a Bat Logo is a pretty long tradition for it to be inspired by different words in a different type of font in a differently shaped Batman logo.

The new Detective logo is apparently designed by Ken Lopez for what it's worth.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

So, what are some good Silver/Bronze Age (pre crisis on infinite earths) runs to check out?

Off the top of my head stuff I'm curious about, Green Arrow/Green Lantern, O'Neill/Adams Batman, early Question, Wonder Woman when she's a Kung Fu spy, Kirby's 4th World stuff. Any other gems? What's good pre-crisis Flash?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Darth Nat posted:

I'm just enjoying the Johnsian literalism of Arkham Knight apparently being an actual knight with sword and shield.

I'd rather that than a gun guy.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Skwirl posted:

So, what are some good Silver/Bronze Age (pre crisis on infinite earths) runs to check out?

Off the top of my head stuff I'm curious about, Green Arrow/Green Lantern, O'Neill/Adams Batman, early Question, Wonder Woman when she's a Kung Fu spy, Kirby's 4th World stuff. Any other gems? What's good pre-crisis Flash?
My money is that it won't be in the library, but the Robert Kanigher/Ross Andru Lois Lane run that was published parallel to (and crosses over a bit with) Jack Kirby's Jimmy Olsen is frequently fun and a really interesting artifact that deserves to be remembered for more than I Am Curious Black, it's all about Lois Lane, Crusading Social Justice Journalist in the early 1970s so some of it clangs to the modern reader but it's also trying and it's extra weird to see a story about redlining turn into a plot by Mokkari and Desaad.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Please shave your bangs, Superboy. :(

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Skwirl posted:

All-Star Squadron, Infinity Inc, and Freedom Fighters are all enjoyable products of their era.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Edge & Christian posted:

My money is that it won't be in the library, but the Robert Kanigher/Ross Andru Lois Lane run that was published parallel to (and crosses over a bit with) Jack Kirby's Jimmy Olsen is frequently fun and a really interesting artifact that deserves to be remembered for more than I Am Curious Black, it's all about Lois Lane, Crusading Social Justice Journalist in the early 1970s so some of it clangs to the modern reader but it's also trying and it's extra weird to see a story about redlining turn into a plot by Mokkari and Desaad.

They published black and white phone book collections of Lois Lane a while back didn't they, that's got to make it more likely they have digitized versions of it all ready.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

JordanKai posted:

The shadows make it look like Superman has some horrible sideburns

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Teenage Fansub posted:

New Det logo.

Guest Starring: The 1 million bats DC unleashed for the 85 anniversary

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

JordanKai posted:

The muttonchops are worse.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Kaleidoscope posted:

The muttonchops are worse.

I actually meant to type 'sideburns' instead of bangs but I'm dumb as hell. They are indeed very bad.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

His post-space-journey-aging-up style could be worse:
Hi, 2019's Franklin Richards.

Actually, I wouldn't mind if they leaned into it and gave Jon some terrible whispy teenage mustache.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 31, 2019

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

That design looks like what a 40 year old billionaire thinks the kids using tumblr look like.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I don't think Dan slott is that rich

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

This sounds very appealing. It's a shame I am a canadian.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

From Wondercon, Doom Patrol is planned to continue (still with Way and Derrington) as a Vertigo comic, and all of the Sandman books are renewed for a second year.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/03/30/second-year-sandman-presents-doom-patrol-dc-vertigo/

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Mar 31, 2019

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
DC Universe has some holes where I wish it didn't. No Impulse, and Johns's Teen Titans runs out at like issue 42. No Shade the Changing Man. No Final Crisis.

Are there hidden treasures in there or should I just finish the Morrisson Doom Patrol and be done with it?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Beerdeer posted:

DC Universe has some holes where I wish it didn't. No Impulse, and Johns's Teen Titans runs out at like issue 42. No Shade the Changing Man. No Final Crisis.

Are there hidden treasures in there or should I just finish the Morrisson Doom Patrol and be done with it?

Like in a week or two the comic selection is going from 2k to 20k so there will be lots of stuff.

Just scoping the featured comics and New Frontier and Dini's Zatana are both good. Batman: The Cult, Gotham Central, and 52 are both stellar from just a quick scroll.

Edit: there are a number of good series. Peter David's aquaman run, all the green lantern and related books, the 02 hawkman is good, jla year one, all of Jsa. There is a ton of good stuff.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 1, 2019

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

Edit: there are a number of good series. Peter David's aquaman run, all the green lantern and related books, the 02 hawkman is good, jla year one, all of Jsa. There is a ton of good stuff.

I'll always remember PAD's Aquaman run for Erik Larsen coming on after and continuing their slap-fight by trying to undo some of what David had done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issy
Jul 15, 2017

https://youtube.com/watch?v=N0iZGMXpquQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5k6AVqLmA0

Issy fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 3, 2019