Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Pakled posted:

Red Squad, I guess, has the extenuating circumstance that they were being ordered to commit treason by an admiral. Not sure if the Federation's big on "I was just following orders" though.

They also probably didn't entirely know what was going on - I imagine Leyton played it all pretty close to the vest. And since proper officers were suckered into Leyton's plot, I imagine Red Squad's defense could argue that it'd be unfair to expect mere cadets to see through him.

Agnosticnixie posted:

Did B&B hate Moore that much at that point or something?

Probably wasn't their call, just some penny-pincher who wouldn't approve an extra expense that would be applied to every episode. The same thing happened with Enterprise - T'Pol was originally T'Pau from "Amok Time".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Well the Federation didn't care very much about Worf's treasonous terrorism on Risa. Didn't even get demoted.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Risans just figured that's Worf's idea of fun. That and it basically consisted of making it rain for once.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

marktheando posted:

Well the Federation didn't care very much about Worf's treasonous terrorism on Risa. Didn't even get demoted.

Worf's been discommendated for less

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Agnosticnixie posted:

Having basically just rewatched Valiant in a spree of season 6 DS9 episodes, someone should have trolled the reboot writers' room at some point when they decided to have Enterprise commanded by a crew whose oldest officer is a 25 yo fratboy and just played the entire episode.

Also it makes me feel like Ira Behr really despised the whole starfleet brat poo poo for Wesley

You know, I was just thinking about that line where they point out that most training ships are old leftovers but Red Squad is so pampered elite that they get a nearly top of the line Defiant class warship. I'll bet the crew of one of those Mirandas that got one-shot by the Dominion would have much preferred to have the Valiant instead. They probably would have put it to better use too.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The whole “they’d have to pay royalties” has never been hard fact, just speculation.

Anyway DS9 had Sisko commit a war crime against the Maquis. It’s kibda safe to say the show, as good as it is, had a consistent problem with people getting realistic punishments for things.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Nodosaur posted:

The whole “they’d have to pay royalties” has never been hard fact, just speculation.

Anyway DS9 had Sisko commit a war crime against the Maquis. It’s kibda safe to say the show, as good as it is, had a consistent problem with people getting realistic punishments for things.

A country never holding anyone accountable for a war crime committed by its own military is pretty realistic, actually

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

EimiYoshikawa posted:

She's a good actress, and I really liked her character in that episode. One of the examples of how the Federation welcomes everyone that wishes to be part of it, as individuals, like Nog or Worf, even if their species isn't, and a good tempering for some of the other too-cruel episodes, in that they aren't going to tell her to gently caress off when she requests asylum/to leave with them rather than being stuck on her dumb planet/probably being distrusted by her people in the future for being so willing to cooperate with aliens.

Carolyn Seymour rules.

I find your cover story unconvincing and you suck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E32Q4acbRew

At least you'll die with here with us... well poo poo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiUk87bPa2Q

Let's get the ship's only medical staff pass out drunk, that's a good idea.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlwE10AzTZI

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Pakled posted:

A country never holding anyone accountable for a war crime committed by its own military is pretty realistic, actually

It is but it’s kinda debatable how in character it is for the Federation, if only because of the parade of corrupt admirals in TNG getting held accountable for stuff.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Fornax Disaster posted:

Carolyn Seymour rules.

I find your cover story unconvincing and you suck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E32Q4acbRew

At least you'll die with here with us... well poo poo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiUk87bPa2Q

Let's get the ship's only medical staff pass out drunk, that's a good idea.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlwE10AzTZI

When I was a kid I used to think she was Pat Benetar.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pakled posted:

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Cat Hatter posted:

You know, I was just thinking about that line where they point out that most training ships are old leftovers but Red Squad is so pampered elite that they get a nearly top of the line Defiant class warship. I'll bet the crew of one of those Mirandas that got one-shot by the Dominion would have much preferred to have the Valiant instead. They probably would have put it to better use too.

The episode mentions that Republic is the normal training ship which based on the name and the implied age (it was already old af in the 2320s since it hasn't even left the solar system since then) would probably make it one of the original connies which I can't imagine being that much older than Mirandas as a class.

The only way Valiant would have been better is as a Down Periscope remake where they get their asses kicked by a more experience crew in some ancient movie-era trash heap.

Also there's something kinda funny about the fact that the Defiants as depicted in Valiant are canonically slower than even the ENT-era NXes unless you say gently caress the regs and disable a bunch of engineering safeties.

Agnosticnixie fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 31, 2019

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Angry Salami posted:

They also probably didn't entirely know what was going on - I imagine Leyton played it all pretty close to the vest. And since proper officers were suckered into Leyton's plot, I imagine Red Squad's defense could argue that it'd be unfair to expect mere cadets to see through him.

He literally told Sisko that Leyton ordered Red Squad to sabotage Earth's Power Grid, which seems odd to just go along with. Then again so is having a literal secret roster of cadets (according to Nog, Red Squad's roster list is secret).

Admittedly there is a difference between following orders and masterminding a coverup, but it just seems really odd that Locrano of all people committed "an unforgiveable act" considering all the other coverups, ethical breaches, and war crimes that occur from actual officers instead of just cadets who probably don't have the best sense of judgement yet. I mean Tom Paris gets 18 months in New Zealand for actual Treason (being in the Maquis).

Agnosticnixie posted:

The episode mentions that Republic is the normal training ship which based on the name and the implied age (it was already old af in the 2320s since it hasn't even left the solar system since then) would probably make it one of the original connies which I can't imagine being that much older than Mirandas as a class.

The only way Valiant would have been better is as a Down Periscope remake where they get their asses kicked by a more experience crew in some ancient movie-era trash heap.

Peak Performance only the Hathaway is commanded by the entire Enterprise-D crew and they clown on Red Squad constantly. Picard shows them up with the Picard Maneuver which none of their dumb asses bothered reading about.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Mar 31, 2019

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Agnosticnixie posted:

Angry_Ed posted:

Peak Performance only the Hathaway is commanded by the entire Enterprise-D crew and they clown on Red Squad constantly. Picard shows them up with the Picard Maneuver which none of their dumb asses bothered reading about.

"Ensign, run on two nacelles only and begin broadcasting 'Louie Louie' over the comms at full volume."

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Nodosaur posted:

It is but it’s kinda debatable how in character it is for the Federation, if only because of the parade of corrupt admirals in TNG getting held accountable for stuff.

As much humanity likes to pat itself on the back for “progress” only the alpha sociopaths make it to the top of the management heap.

Agnosticnixie posted:

Also there's something kinda funny about the fact that the Defiants as depicted in Valiant are canonically slower than even the ENT-era NXes unless you say gently caress the regs and disable a bunch of engineering safeties.

In a real life, the cadets of Annapolis will do periods of training on ships in service. Real experience, training on an asset in real situations.

Why use a rust bucket anyway when you can train on the holodeck? You can have the interactive experience of the drudgery of charting gaseous anomalies and be a helmsman at the Battle of Axanar.

quote:

He literally told Sisko that Leyton ordered Red Squad to sabotage Earth's Power Grid, which seems odd to just go along with. Then again so is having a literal secret roster of cadets (according to Nog, Red Squad's roster list is secret).

Admittedly there is a difference between following orders and masterminding a coverup, but it just seems really odd that Locrano of all people committed "an unforgiveable act" considering all the other coverups, ethical breaches, and war crimes that occur from actual officers instead of just cadets who probably don't have the best sense of judgement yet. I mean Tom Paris gets 18 months in New Zealand for actual Treason (being in the Maquis).

In the 24th century the Kobiashi Maru is ethnics and military law.

*That whole episode was Leyton’s test in Ethics for the class of ‘72 and they FAILED.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 31, 2019

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Automatic Slim posted:

Why use a rust bucket anyway when you can train on the holodeck? You can have the interactive experience of the drudgery of charting gaseous anomalies and be a helmsman at the Battle of Axanar.

The only reason is to actually make the cadets get used to being out in deep space away from their familiar surroundings, friends and family, and the safe blanket that is Earth Paradise.

Unfortunately, nobody passed on the email about suspending this program during war-time, and Red Squad wound up in a Lord of the Flies situation where The Beast was actually a Dominion super warship (and Piggie survived to write more articles for Federation Buzzfeed).

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

In the end, the Red Squad cadets were (at the time) impressionable kids who get talked up and manipulated by the Starfleet Command flag officer.

Lorcano, still a kid, got an actual living being killed.

That's still quite a bit worse.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Agnosticnixie posted:

Did B&B hate Moore that much at that point or something?

"Sorry Ron. Maybe you'd understand someday--if you ever ran a franchise of your own. HA!" :smug:

Cat Hatter posted:

"Ensign, run on two nacelles only and begin broadcasting 'Louie Louie' over the comms at full volume."

"Top or bottom two?"

"No--the left two."

"But then we'll go in circles!"

"Exactly!"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Automatic Slim posted:

As much humanity likes to pat itself on the back for “progress” only the alpha sociopaths make it to the top of the management heap.
I'm now imagining some unfrozen guy from right now explaining to like, Gowron, about the alpha mindset or something. "So your term for those of you with a warrior's heart, but also a warrior's flaws, derives from your legends of... predator behavior in a menagerie?"

It would actually be cool to see some kind of summary of 20th century Earth history as put in a Klingon textbook.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Agnosticnixie posted:

It's the same ship Kirk served on as an ensign, so if its not a connie its one of the half-dozen or so Disco ship types.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nodosaur posted:

In the end, the Red Squad cadets were (at the time) impressionable kids who get talked up and manipulated by the Starfleet Command flag officer.

Lorcano, still a kid, got an actual living being killed.

That's still quite a bit worse.

That's 33% as many people that Tom Paris killed in his training accident but apparently that plus treason is fine so :shrug:

EDIT: I probably am nitpicking this too hard but the excuse of the "unforgiveable act" on its face makes no sense.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 1, 2019

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's mentioned that the Valiant being crewed by cadets was before the war began. I imagine that Starfleet would've kicked them all off post-haste if the kids hadn't run off with the ship.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Nessus posted:

It would actually be cool to see some kind of summary of 20th century Earth history as put in a Klingon textbook.

I assume they'd classify the 20th century's love of genocide and ethnic cleansing as cowardice and inherently dishonorable to slaughter people for no good reason.

Somehow, I don't seen the Klingons as really being a "death camps" group.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Sash! posted:

I assume they'd classify the 20th century's love of genocide and ethnic cleansing as cowardice and inherently dishonorable to slaughter people for no good reason.

Not for other Klingons, at least. It was full death or letting your enemy live in shame which means they'll probably kill themselves or you in the future.

Other species I can definitely see work camps that aren't too worried about survival rates.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Klingons just get really loving into some obscure 5th century state and nobody in the federation understands why

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The Klingons would probably be most interested in China.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Brawnfire posted:

Not for other Klingons, at least. It was full death or letting your enemy live in shame which means they'll probably kill themselves or you in the future.

Other species I can definitely see work camps that aren't too worried about survival rates.

Welcome to scenic Rura Penthe! Did you know that when these dilithium mines first opened in 2162, few could imagine they would one day become the premier source of dilithium harvested by hand in the Klingon Empire?

Rura Penthe: We Work Honourless Curs to Death for You!

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Sash! posted:

Errand of Mercy? Rura Penthe? I guess the latter isn't strictly comparable but it's a small leap from there, even if you discount the TOS TV Klingons. "The Aliens' Graveyard."

Which brings up an observation I had watching ST6 recently. The dinner scene is awful. There, I said it. The Klingons are very adept at using the Federation's ideals against them, but it's 1. baldly cynical on their part, given everything we see of Klingon society even in the film in isolation, and 2. none of the dialogue flows at all. Some individual lines are memorable, which papers it over somewhat, but the characters aren't really responding to each other at all for the most part. I get that they're supposed to be at odds and not communicating well, but it's like it was edited down from a much longer scene into something that barely makes sense.

But back to the first point, the Klingons accuse the Federation of being a Homo sapiens-only club - "present company excepted" due to Spock, but they're also dealing with, at least, a Deltan Federation president, and in ST4 the Federation Council and Starfleet Command are shown to have myriad aliens. But just look at the Empire, there are literally no other races at all in their military or political power structure, and no one calls them out on this. They've enslaved or exterminated all other races within their borders. They don't have a leg to stand on but the scene is still written not only as if they have a point, but the Starfleet members present are cowed and accept the premise, and go to bed in massive guilt, checking their human privilege.

It's not as good of a movie as a lot of fans like to think.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I noticed about the dinner scene on my last rewatch too. It still works a little bit because it’s supposed to be awkward and full of miscommunication, but there’s a lot of non sequitur.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

There was a time where I would have written a lot of words about how ridiculously incorrect that opinion is but it turns out people can just be wrong on the internet.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
You're just racist against brutal alien empires built on conquest and enslavement.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Zurui posted:

There was a time where I would have written a lot of words about how ridiculously incorrect that opinion is but it turns out people can just be wrong on the internet.

what is this place coming to??

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Which brings up an observation I had watching ST6 recently. The dinner scene is awful. There, I said it. The Klingons are very adept at using the Federation's ideals against them, but it's 1. baldly cynical on their part, given everything we see of Klingon society even in the film in isolation, and 2. none of the dialogue flows at all. Some individual lines are memorable, which papers it over somewhat, but the characters aren't really responding to each other at all for the most part. I get that they're supposed to be at odds and not communicating well, but it's like it was edited down from a much longer scene into something that barely makes sense.

This is precisely what happened. The dinner scene was about twice the length before being hacked to bits in post-production.

quote:

a Deltan Federation president

Efrosian. :pseudo: (Named for Mel Efros, who was the unit production manager on IV and V.)

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Timby posted:

This is precisely what happened. The dinner scene was about twice the length before being hacked to bits in post-production.

I would watch the gently caress out of an extended cut.

I mean, it'll never happen. But I would.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Timby posted:

Efrosian. :pseudo: (Named for Mel Efros, who was the unit production manager on IV and V.)

Oh really? How did I get the idea he was Deltan then? Weird.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Oh really? How did I get the idea he was Deltan then? Weird.

Ilia was Deltan.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Timby posted:

Ilia was Deltan.

That I know, but how did I get here from there.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

That I know, but how did I get here from there.

I don’t know but I don’t see any Federation President taking a vow of celibacy. It would be such a waste.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Sash! posted:

Nah. They would have loved the Axis in WWII. You've got Germany, who decides to take over and enslave the continent because they believe they're inherently superior and their neighbors are only worthy of extermination or subjugation, and then you have Japan, whose soldiers model themselves after the medieval warrior caste, and decide to invade a much bigger country. Then, when that's not going well, their answer is to launch an attack against an even stronger country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
remember that the klingon "honour" stuff is bullshit that only worf is naive enough to take at face value