Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

tildes posted:

How tf do you successfully contact someone you’ve played with? I feel like that’s the real story here.

I see their playertag on the screenshot and send them a PSN message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

burexas.irom posted:

I see their playertag on the screenshot and send them a PSN message.

Ah not on PC, that makes sense.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Isn’t your in-game name your Origin name on PC?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The four corners and all the edges of the map are pretty good to drop into, so long as your team is good at looting quickly and not lingering in a area or triple checking eachothers houses or not pinging useful attachments you're not picking up you can pretty much drop anywhere and just hit area after area until finding people and usually outgear them.

If you drop immediately, expect 50-80% of the server to be spread out around your area with the largest at the nearest hotspot or ship, if you wait to drop at the end of the path, expect to fight 1, maybe 2 squads before your down to the final three, just decide which to go based on what you and your squad rather put up with, early fights are fun but not if you never get breathing room to get more ammo or healing before another 5 squads rush towards your gunfire from every angle.

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

You're doing God's work, son.

Indeed, I am.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHM5MIhxzUw

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

My go-to areas for dropping are Watchtowers North and South. It's not marked on the maps so everyone overlooks them but they have enough chests that you'll be able to pick up 6 guns for your squad easily. Since they're fairly central locations that are right near Artillery/Swamp/Burned Forest (North) and Water Treatment/Repulsor (South), once you have your guns you can go and clean up enemy squads with minimum hassle.

I'll take waiting an extra 30-60 seconds to get into a firefight, but guaranteeing that I'll be able to fight with actual guns instead of zambs/melee every single time.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

There is one other team left and a pretty small circle. You get killed by the ring a little too far for your teammates to reach you (they even try, but that late ring hits hard!). They get to safety, heal up, and are ready to take on the final team. Do you:

A) Wait a couple minutes to see if your team wins, and get awarded champion the same as if you were alive.

Or

B) Immediately disconnect.

If you answered B, whoops! There was a single Bangalore and your teammates toasted them, but you missed out cause you couldn’t wait a couple minutes. Sucks to be you!

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Worst place to drop is the pit. Oh good we're dropping in the pit with 3 other squads to fight over 2 guns oh fun

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!

cohsae posted:

Worst place to drop is the pit. Oh good we're dropping in the pit with 3 other squads to fight over 2 guns oh fun

Wrong.
You're just missing the Essential E from your game.
E: Engage physically

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Also: if your teammate wants dibs on a gun accessory and is 100+ yards away, pick it up for him (bag space permitting), don't let him run 200 yards to get it. If you have bag space, hoard hop ups just in case, you can always drop them later.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

runchild posted:

There is one other team left and a pretty small circle. You get killed by the ring a little too far for your teammates to reach you (they even try, but that late ring hits hard!). They get to safety, heal up, and are ready to take on the final team. Do you:

A) Wait a couple minutes to see if your team wins, and get awarded champion the same as if you were alive.

Or

B) Immediately disconnect.

If you answered B, whoops! There was a single Bangalore and your teammates toasted them, but you missed out cause you couldn’t wait a couple minutes. Sucks to be you!

yeah the correct answer is to hang on so you can yell CLUTCH OR BAN into the mic

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

cohsae posted:

Oh good we're dropping in the pit with 3 other squads to fight over 2 guns oh fun

This except instead of sarastically its for real

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Pit is pretty bad, as are the zones along the central river valley. Airbase and Bunker are fun to fight in but their loot is trash. Shantytown, Swamps, Repulser, Thunderdome and Relay are fun and tend to have good and/or plentiful loot, but suggesting dropping to any of them is near guaranteed to make a pubbie furious for some reason.

Like seriously, have gotten some truly inordinate reactions of indignation, bigotry and just general impotent fury for suggesting dropping at Thunderdome/the adjacent blocks of buildings rather than straight into the instant deathtrap of an overstuffed Skull Town.

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

I can usually tell a pubbie is garbage when they ping to try and get me to drop on bridges.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I've never seen another team drop in the pit. Usually there's some good stuff down there, but not enough for an entire team + it's like a little maze to get out of. So I don't really like dropping there.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
My friends love dropping pit. No one drops there anymore usually so tear rear end out of there and hit anywone struggling at those other areas right outside of it.

The two ppl I play with the most have a mad man playstyle that’s similar to the pubbie “be hyper aggressive and hope for the best” style tho

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Tokubetsu posted:

My friends love dropping pit. No one drops there anymore usually so tear rear end out of there and hit anywone struggling at those other areas right outside of it.

The two ppl I play with the most have a mad man playstyle that’s similar to the pubbie “be hyper aggressive and hope for the best” style tho

I can see the argument for “send one octane to the exact center of pit for the purple armor and then have him suicide boost his way to [nearby place] to help the team” as a drop as well. It doesn’t feel like it has quite enough for a full team.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Pit seems like a noob trap, I've been guided there a few times and it never seems to work out right when we rotate to slum lakes.

Watchtower(s) on the other hand seem like super viable early drop options, enough time to gear up and immediately third party the winners of Artillery/Repulsor.

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!

Phobophilia posted:

Pit seems like a noob trap, I've been guided there a few times and it never seems to work out right when we rotate to slum lakes.

Watchtower(s) on the other hand seem like super viable early drop options, enough time to gear up and immediately third party the winners of Artillery/Repulsor.

The trick is to land on the edge of the cliffs above pit and slide in so you drop faster. Then you spring the trap on other noobs dropping there.
I love the pit

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

There's a cluster of buildings immediately south of pit that someone should drop at if you're going pit. No one ever drops there either.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

comedyblissoption posted:

There's a cluster of buildings immediately south of pit that someone should drop at if you're going pit. No one ever drops there either.

The last time I dropped pit one of my teammates dropped in those buildings and another guy came with me to pit. We cleaned up another team in pit and the guy who dropped those buildings got knocked. Then we cleaned up the squad who knocked him and promptly got third partied by a squad coming from the crack in the mountain between those buildings and the respawn beacon. And where even were those guys? Relay I guess? Bah.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Tokubetsu posted:

My experience with pubbies is the opposite, they just fly to the farthest edge of the map and loot for 20 minutes, only to die immediately during the first encounter. I stopped dropping solo because of it, I really should just nut up and join a goon squad.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Duck and Cover posted:

They felt/still feel sarcastic to me as well as being a vague form of communication. To me it's just worse chat. Of course having chat generally means you might need to hire some moderators and that costs money.

WELL MET!

Pattonesque posted:

hey I think they quietly eradicated the crashing bug?

I used to crash one in every 7-8 games but I haven't crashed in ages.

supposedly the last few remaining ones on their end and not just hardware issues are popping up are related queuing in a group for PC, but on consoles they should be fully solved. The only other real issues are from the servers being hammered by the millions of players.
Also another cool stealth improvement: They doubled all the season pass exp bonuses you unlock with season pass levels, so instead of each one being a 2.5% exp bonus each one is a 5% boost.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
My typical experience these days is having pubbies spam skull town for a hot drop, immediately get downed and DC still. Kind of a bummer when I can regularly just sweep through skulltown basically alone these days. Just stay dude. You'll get rez'd. You will have gear for days!

Would like to see them update the loot table though. Still to many games where I run through five buildings and get nothing but attachments, p2020's and thermites.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
They're all going Bridges and Cascades now. It's insane. And it's not all bad players, although for some reason the game is matching me with people below lvl 30 constantly.

My preferred bail-out points for drops where it's Just Gonna Be Too Hot:

Swamps is #1, if Repulsor or Relay gets overrun you can always get kitted here, especially if you have an Octane and/or Pathfinder.
Hydro Dam + a quick rotate to Watchtower South is pretty good if Repulsor is too hot
I've already talked about Thunderdome -> Skulltown although there are a lot more people going Thunderdome now, and it's a crappy place to fight over. So it's dropped quite a bit in my own personal rankings. In fact it's close to trash tier.
Watch Tower North is good to drop into solo if Artillery is too hot.
Wetlands is decent if Relay is too hot at the start. I like fighting at Relay so you can quick-loot and then rotate in.
Slum Lake is a great place to fight - as good as Skulltown IMO - and the loot is better.
Water Treatment is good if Repulsor is too hot, it's a good place to fight and you can take the balloon out for a quick relocate to a bunch of hot sites. It's very well located. It can get pretty hot sometimes tho.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Yeah what is up with the bridges meta? It sucks.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
I think I'm done with this game until they add a casual mode or something like that, I'm sick of losing every encounter because I can't put in 70 hours per week like some people...

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Dropped skulltown 3 times, won the initial scramble eliminating 3 or 4 squads only for my pubbie teammates to suddenly forget how to play and bury their faces in lootboxes until one of the squads that dropped near skulltown moved in because they didn't hear shooting anymore. Ah well. Definitely getting more consistent at winning combat.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

bushisms.txt posted:

Yeah what is up with the bridges meta? It sucks.

I mean just basic pattern recognition should tell you that it's a poo poo place to start out. Artillery or Repulsor can be heartbreaking when you get squad-wiped when you're 75% to a good kit 2 minutes in, but Bridges? Oh wow I died to some guy with an Eva-8 and lost a P2020, an Alternator and some Grey Armor. Woe is me.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Drop thunderdome > clean up skulltown

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

dogstile posted:

Would like to see them update the loot table though. Still to many games where I run through five buildings and get nothing but attachments, p2020's and thermites.

I don't know if it's just confirmation bias or something (as I hate the gun) but the Havoc seems ridiculously common.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Coolness Averted posted:

Also another cool stealth improvement: They doubled all the season pass exp bonuses you unlock with season pass levels, so instead of each one being a 2.5% exp bonus each one is a 5% boost.

I've noticed the bonus changing back and forth between 2.5% and 5%. It does appear to be 5% at the moment.

The bonus is based on just the survival time points and not the overall battle pass xp. It doesn't amount to very many points for a match.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Had two guys break off from me dropping the northern watchtower so they could go into the dumb buildings in the river instead. We came in second after I rushed the final squad, knocked a dude, and my guys were still hiding in a house taking potshots.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

SKULL.GIF posted:

I don't know if it's just confirmation bias or something (as I hate the gun) but the Havoc seems ridiculously common.

yeah it's all over the place, I see it constantly

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Thats ok its a good gun

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Chikimiki posted:

I think I'm done with this game until they add a casual mode or something like that, I'm sick of losing every encounter because I can't put in 70 hours per week like some people...

Lol

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I can understand being frustrated. A lot of playing BR and enjoying it for me was learning sometimes ill do things right and either chance or just my own skill level means i wont win. Its the nature of the gametype.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The other night I was playing with my RL friend and a goon and both of them are perfectly acceptable gunfighters who kept getting ambushed (and I did too). And so we kept losing with like sub-200 damage done for the round. Had nothing to do with their shooting skills or hours put in, it was late at night, we were tired, and we kept getting caught with our pants down.

If you can shoot fairly straight and are constantly losing fights it's not your gun skills! You can work on positioning, situational awareness, map knowledge (I got domed yesterday inside of a building because I wasn't aware that one of the ceiling fans was missing and you could get shot from it) looting skill, third-partying setups, etc. There's tons of ways to get better and it's not all about playing a zillion hours a week or doing aiming drills. Just party up with people who you can talk to IRL, they will share knowledge. I can honestly say that literally every single poster in this thread has been a friendly teammate who has freely given me advice that has helped me a lot.

Edit: a bit of fun story - playing solo and grouped up with two pubbies who both quit before the round started, so it was just me as Lifeline. I tried to drop the supply ship just to get my first kill of the day for her but I missed the ship by inches and fell into the little cluster of buildings outside of Market, where i discovered a Eva-8(!) with a blue bolt and an R-301(!) with a purple clip. So I decided to go to Market and see what I could get done. The answer was 5 kills, including taking out an entire squad and capturing the Kill Leader spot which for me is absolutely exemplary. Never give up!

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 1, 2019

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Chikimiki posted:

I think some type of skill-based matchmaking would be the best so everyone can get competitive games. Even if you're really good, pubstomping people that have barely figured out how the game works gets old pretty quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
There 100% is skill based matchmaking, it's just fairly loose, unless you're at some extreme