Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah poo poo, it’s my primary too. Good retention even if the %age of new releases had slipped compared to other sites.

Ugh now I’m gonna have to touch some kind of filthy cryptoshit to upgrade one of my free accounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ah poo poo, it’s my primary too. Good retention even if the %age of new releases had slipped compared to other sites.

Ugh now I’m gonna have to touch some kind of filthy cryptoshit to upgrade one of my free accounts.

Nzbgeek accepts amazon gift cards. Too trustworthy? That's fine dognzb has you buying a t-shirt (or not really buying one). I'm starting to think credit card processors don't like indexers.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
Is there a turnkey solution to hosting your own indexer? I already have a server running 24/7 so if I could just pull down some docker container that would be :perfect:

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I bought the dognzb t-shirt and it was all fine even if it felt sketchy as gently caress. They have been having pretty immense server issues the last few months and have been kinda hit and miss during that, but they took it down and upgraded their poo poo or something a few weeks ago and it has been working perfectly since then.

I was kinda ready to throw a pissfit about dog up until that point, but right now at least it seems pretty solid.

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama

Horn posted:

Is there a turnkey solution to hosting your own indexer? I already have a server running 24/7 so if I could just pull down some docker container that would be :perfect:

Sort of. A lot of major releases are obfuscated nowadays which makes things more difficult.

See https://nzedb.github.io/ and http://www.newznab.com/

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009

Horn posted:

I think newznab has a irc channel. I would go and see what the current state is. It’s been a long time but maintaining the system was not fun. It looks like someone made a docker image so maybe it’s not too bad now getting it running.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Dongattack posted:

I bought the dognzb t-shirt and it was all fine even if it felt sketchy as gently caress. They have been having pretty immense server issues the last few months and have been kinda hit and miss during that, but they took it down and upgraded their poo poo or something a few weeks ago and it has been working perfectly since then.

I was kinda ready to throw a pissfit about dog up until that point, but right now at least it seems pretty solid.

I went the nzbgeek amazon gift card route worked fine.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I've been having a lot of issues with nzbgeeks lovely API limits.

It's now my #3 with org gone, I guess.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah my other server of choice is OMG who sadly don’t do gift cards or T-shirts, but have good completion and the site is quite nice to use.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It really is amazing how good the site was being free and all. Just poking around the sites that aren't closed to new registrations right now and they all seem poo poo in comparison.

I hope it is just an april fools joke, but i really doubt it. Even if it is, it's a wake-up call to have an alternative of some sort. It's almost the only one i've used for 10 years because it just worked.

Lusername
Sep 22, 2005
The truth is just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Same. I took .org for granted. Out of the other sites I've tried, DrunkenSlug seems the best of the bunch but perhaps that's not saying much. I don't have an account at Omg. Is that better?

Lusername fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 1, 2019

Violator
May 15, 2003

drat, it was my main too. :(

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I’m on DrunkenSlug and NZBCat. I had geek for a while about radarr/sonarr wasn’t pulling anything from there anyways.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Good god, it's been so long since I've had to touch my wonderfully reliable set-up... I'm going to have to relearn so much. :smith:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Trustworthy posted:

Good god, it's been so long since I've had to touch my wonderfully reliable set-up... I'm going to have to relearn so much. :smith:

:yossame:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Nearly 10 years of .org being solid as a rock.

RIP.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Yeah, me, too.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I've always kept 4-5 indexers in rotation for this reason but yeah, I've been on .org for like 10 years and definitely going to miss it. Rock solid and I don't think I've ever had a fake or etc, curation was perfect.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Those affected by .org closing down make sure to check their forums, it ain't much but it's something.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
As someone that never got into this mythical indexer I can tell you the other 5 that are around are just as good and you should probably diversify anyway.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

zer0spunk posted:

As someone that never got into this mythical indexer I can tell you the other 5 that are around are just as good and you should probably diversify anyway.

If you never got into it, how do you know those others are just as good?

But yeah, diversify, bitches!

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Thermopyle posted:

If you never got into it, how do you know those others are just as good?

But yeah, diversify, bitches!

There are other discussion groups about indexers out there with very vocal people.

But I get it, according to hydra I pull from one indexer more than the other 4. I routinely make sure the other ones are active though so they don't get purged. Maybe keep one as a sub and the rest free accounts if you'd like to play it "safe"

I'd also suggest going german with it too as another avenue as those indexers usually have some unique content and almost everything is DL (make sure you have your media player always default to the english track if you'd like to avoid confusing the hell out of friends and family though)

e: I'm not going to answer any pms about clarifying or linking, all of these places have a fight club rule in place for a good reason.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Incessant Excess posted:

Those affected by .org closing down make sure to check their forums, it ain't much but it's something.

This was useful, thanks

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Nothing pleases me more then the communities attitude of "well you should get x" "No I WILL NOT HELP YOU OR TELL YOU WHAT X IS WHAT ARE YOU? CRAZY?". I think I may need more indexers some of my more obscure stuff isn't being found.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 1, 2019

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
R/usenet is a pretty good resources. I've seen nzb geek, drunken slug recommended often. Those are usually open or open a couple of times during the year. OMG is usually considered to be quite good if you can get in.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Incessant Excess posted:

Much appreciated. Probably useful to keep checking the forums until the eventual closure to see if any other sites open up registration.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I know people have run here have run their own newznab server, is it worth it to avoid messing with all these random rear end indexers?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

EC posted:

I know people have run here have run their own newznab server, is it worth it to avoid messing with all these random rear end indexers?

I still run my own. Once I got it running (which was a hassle), it's been fairly hands-off.

Pretty much all of my other indexers get way more hits from hydra. I guess this is because most indexers have their own custom regexes and code to catch more stuff.

I keep it running just for diversification purposes.

I don't keep it running to avoid messing with other indexers...mainly because there isn't really any "messing around". I just add them to hydra when I sign up and then never think about them again.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 1, 2019

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Duck and Cover posted:

Nothing pleases me more then the communities attitude of "well you should get x" "No I WILL NOT HELP YOU OR TELL YOU WHAT X IS WHAT ARE YOU? CRAZY?". I think I may need more indexers some of my more obscure stuff isn't being found.

Because a lot of these places actively search for users mentioning them and ban you. So yeah, people aren't going to risk access because you can't do 20 seconds of googlin', sorry bud.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Laserface posted:

Nearly 10 years of .org being solid as a rock.

RIP.

Existed back when nzbmatrix used to be the poo poo. End of an era.

I do have accounts with like a dozen sites just to hedge my bets though it's annoying that most of them ask for money to get the same features.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

Because a lot of these places actively search for users mentioning them and ban you. So yeah, people aren't going to risk access because you can't do 20 seconds of googlin', sorry bud.

Oh yeah it's totally easy to do 20 seconds googling for something you don't know the name of! Wait you don't know the name of it already? Man what the gently caress are you doing here get out! I'm trying to help you but you clearly need more experience to get my cryptic paranoid hinting. No I won't tell you over private message, you might be setting me up to lose my indexer account!

It doesn't matter much just makes the whole experience more hostile towards new users/people who don't follow the community closely.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 1, 2019

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Wow I did not realize nzbs got a UI update. Thats pretty slick.

Too bad its closing.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Incessant Excess posted:

Thank you for this, I never would have looked!

Spoiled by .org being free, though, now it looks like I have to figure out bitcoin poo poo.

Lusername
Sep 22, 2005
The truth is just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
I miss how the indexers back in the day would have a community where all the big releases would have comments on quality, virus scan results, and so on. Don't seem to see that these days.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'll figure out which indexer i like and probably pay for that one, but i'm not touching bitcoin or any of that poo poo. i'll go with the number one choice that offers something other than cryptocurrency.

Lusername posted:

I miss how the indexers back in the day would have a community where all the big releases would have comments on quality, virus scan results, and so on. Don't seem to see that these days.

.org did for a lot of stuff, but not for every item in a long list of fake releases.

Greatest Living Man
Jul 22, 2005

ask President Obama
I really do recommend nzbgeek. My only gripe with them is that the API is often fairly slow, but since it's automated I don't give a poo poo.
I got onto nzb.cat when they were offering lifetime VIP, so I also keep that around. I would set up a crawler to refresh https://nzb.cat/invites periodically.

Also as a reminder, http://6box.me/ is still open and free.

Greatest Living Man fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Apr 2, 2019

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

6box seems to be getting me the things nzbgeek failed to find so that's nice.

edit: I totally posted/signed up before I read the edit above this post so you get no credit for telling me about 6box! Urmph!

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 2, 2019

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Looked at my .org stats, and coincidentally...

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

tzirean posted:

Looked at my .org stats, and coincidentally...

You've got me beat by 23 days :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violator
May 15, 2003

The real question is how many grabs over nine years?