Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I'm in Canada and have come across black bears many times and usually they run away quickly, sometimes they just mosey away, and once in a while they'll just sit and watch you while they eat berries. I always carry bear spray because there is no downside. You have to win the poo poo lottery to get attacked by a bear. Make lots of noise. I like to sing or cough loudly. Breaking dry sticks on the trail is good too.

I still get psyched out when I'm by myself way out there, though. I'm more worried about cougars where I live because it has the highest concentration of cougars in the world :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Verman posted:

In my opinion, one of the scariest things about hiking solo, especially in a new area, would be getting lost.

I enjoy alone time and solitude but getting into a seriously lovely situation completely alone has kept me from pursuing more extensive solo trips.

Or getting a debilitating injury, such as a bad fall, on a low traffic trail. Always tell someone where you're going and when you expect to return.

My wife and I went to Canyonlands this last winter. There was absolutely no one in the Needles district (which was amazing). We had a moment of realization while trying to scramble up (on trail) some ice-covered slickrock that we were several hours of difficult hiking from the car, without cell signal, and hadn't seen another soul even on the road. If we took a nasty spill, it could have been bad, especially as temps at night dropped into the teens.

(We had texted someone to tell them our plans that morning, but I'd rather not test how quickly they'd think to call emergency services)

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

xzzy posted:

This might be a weird question out of nowhere, but anyone in here ever had a scary encounter on a hike with wildlife?

I've got a solo trip planned in the rockies (both in Montana and Canada) this summer and have a couple spots picked out I want to try to overnight. I'm not a complete outdoors beginner, I've been around the block. But I'm no veteran either.. all my backcountry stuff has been with large groups and fauna was a distant concern. I've done google searches and it's pretty easy to find lots of horror stories motivating you to never step foot on a trail without a machine gun but there's also lots of veteran hikers out there that regularly go out solo.

I'm just having trouble getting a sense for how often encounters actually happen (especially in the rockies, where I have very little time spent) and how you deal with them. Reading bear spray tutorials is helpful and all but are light on practical advice that you'd pick up hanging out with a more experienced hiker, so anecdotes are also helpful.

If my idea is asinine I'm fine with that too, I'm not hard committed to these solo hikes so feel free to talk me out of it.

Read: Night of the Grizzlies, one of the character in the book was a neighbor of mine when we lived in Montana. As suggested carry bear spray, but in almost twenty years of living, camping, backpacking, in Montana the scariest experience I ever had was a tick that would not come out, it was on my scrotum. In order to get it out the doctor made a microscopic incision but at the time i would have sworn he hacked it open with a rusty machete.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I somehow ended up face to face with a moose and her baby last year. Went around a turn and there they were, about 20 feet in front of me. It was eerie. I backed away and the big one didn’t do more than do kind of a snort thing at me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Rolo posted:

I somehow ended up face to face with a moose and her baby last year. Went around a turn and there they were, about 20 feet in front of me. It was eerie. I backed away and the big one didn’t do more than do kind of a snort thing at me.

Had that happen with a buddy when we were growing up. Riding bikes on the trails behind our house, round a corner, and there's a colossal moose hanging out chowing on some plants. I don't even remember turning around we got out of there so fast.. my next memory is being on the porch being dramatic about how we almost just died.

At that age I had no idea how unpredictable moose could be, but now? Age has turned me into a wimp.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

charity rereg posted:

If you're talking actual safety if you have real reason to believe there are active bears it seems like the minimum appropriate amount. If you are in real-rear end bear country you should be cooking hundreds of yards from your tent, and hanging bear bags or leaving canisters similarly far away. If you just want to make yourself feel safer, then just hang a bear bag with your food and toothpaste. I live in New England, no grizzly bears and low overall activity so a bear hang is "fine."

Bears have an incredibly good sense of smell. The wrong bear will come after a tent for something like sunscreen or flavored toothpaste (a bear that goes for a tent is already either desperate or has been trained to expect food around humans). They will absolutely be able to smell the Ramen you cooked and dribbled a bit of on your shirt.

I'm not even convinced that 99% of "bear hangs," are really worth poo poo either, but I still do them. Bears very possibly have the best sense of smell on the planet. It's almost impossible to truly keep the scent of food off all your belongings and person. You'll forget a wrapper in a side pocket, maybe a jolly rancher melted a little bit in your hip pouch, you definitely spilled some tuna juice at lunch, etc.

I'm not trying to scare this dude, dangerous bear encounters are extremely, vanishingly rare on trail and he should go on this trip and have a blast. But yeah, bears can 100% smell the poo poo you cooked/ate on your clothes.

I hate, HATE making bear hangs... just find a limb at least 15 feet in the air with no other limbs underneath it, then toss the line over it about 6 feet away from the trunk! Easy! Maybe I can find loving Hoffa's body while I'm at it! It might be easier elsewhere but hanging a bear bag in the New Mexico mountains has been a pain just finding a suitable tree every time.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I slept with my bag and food in my tent. Gave zero fucks

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
Still afraid of bears

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Verman posted:

In my opinion, one of the scariest things about hiking solo, especially in a new area, would be getting lost.

I enjoy alone time and solitude but getting into a seriously lovely situation completely alone has kept me from pursuing more extensive solo trips.
What's "extensive"? 95% of all places I've hiked I've initially gone solo. That includes the 15hr day hikes and overnights.

The difference between a seriously bad situation solo versus a group: With a group maybe someone will remain uninjured and can render first aide. Maybe someone will remain uninjured and can walk the 6hr to get a cell signal, so you'll have search and rescue with you in 15--24hr instead of maybe 2dy.

Or maybe multiple people will get injured and things will be worse, or one of the uninjured won't be able to cope mentally, which could waste valuable resources/time/safety.

I'd rather hike alone than with a single person unaware of their surroundings or limitations.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

What's "extensive"? 95% of all places I've hiked I've initially gone solo. That includes the 15hr day hikes and overnights.

The difference between a seriously bad situation solo versus a group: With a group maybe someone will remain uninjured and can render first aide. Maybe someone will remain uninjured and can walk the 6hr to get a cell signal, so you'll have search and rescue with you in 15--24hr instead of maybe 2dy.

Or maybe multiple people will get injured and things will be worse, or one of the uninjured won't be able to cope mentally, which could waste valuable resources/time/safety.

I'd rather hike alone than with a single person unaware of their surroundings or limitations.

I enjoy hiking alone too, but there's zero doubt that it's safer to be in a group. You are saying "maybe someone will remain uninjured" like mass casualty events happen routinely in the backcountry. This is preposterous.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

I hate, HATE making bear hangs... just find a limb at least 15 feet in the air with no other limbs underneath it, then toss the line over it about 6 feet away from the trunk! Easy! Maybe I can find loving Hoffa's body while I'm at it! It might be easier elsewhere but hanging a bear bag in the New Mexico mountains has been a pain just finding a suitable tree every time.

I think maybe 3 or 4 times I've found a technically correct limb for a bear hang. Usually camp is surrounded by pine trees that at best let you get your bags off the ground 15 feet... but roughly 4 inches from the trunk.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

gohuskies posted:

I enjoy hiking alone too, but there's zero doubt that it's safer to be in a group. You are saying "maybe someone will remain uninjured" like mass casualty events happen routinely in the backcountry. This is preposterous.

Again I wonder why we even let Tom carry the stove fuel AND the camp grenade.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

Don't forget about Moose too, mommies are not to pleased of you surprise them with a child, especially if you have a dog. There is also Rutting season for elk where they will charge the heck out of you, but that isn't until fall.

A personal locator beacon a la ResQLink would be of great assistance if you do get immobilized somehow.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
bear cans are kind of a pain in terms of bulk and weight but it is nice to just load them up and put them at a distance from your tent and not worry about it

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Bear hangs are poo poo and don't really work in places that see somewhat regular backcountry use. A persistent and knowledgeable bear will defeat even many "proper" bear hangs, and in locations where people routinely hang food, the bears will have learned the effort is worth it.

They also take forever to set up properly, simply can't be set up in many places (especially in exposed / above timberline terrain where, you know, you ought to be spending most of your time if you are really worried about accidentally surprising a bear).

A lil' sami bear canister weighs 1lb 12oz. Considering the weight savings of using the lid as your cook pot (~4-6oz) , and not having to bring ~50' of cord for a bear hang (~4 oz), the net weight is just around 1 extra pound--less if you use a heavy duty / odor proof sack for your bear hangs like an ursack + opsack. The volume is small enough to easily fit into any pack also. Only down side is paying like $90 for a stupid plastic barrel.

Considering how much time they save vs. having to gently caress around with a counter-weighted hang and finding The One True Branch, and the enormously greater campsite flexibility they allow, I think there is little reason not to take a small bear canister if there is any concern about bears.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

if allowed (some parks allow them, some don't) I'd say take an Ursack only because they hit a proper place on the weight/convenience/feeling of security for most hikes.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Agreed I always feel like I half assed it in the end, or no matter what I do it winds up being pretty close to a traveled footpath, or there are literally people 200m downtrail snuggling their beef jerky. I've spent a solid 45m getting the "perfect PCT hang," then walked back to the shelter to find a new group has arrived slathered in food. Or as i said in the other post realizing that a friggin jolly rancher melted in my hip belt, or that turd I'm hiking with shoved a snickers wrapper in my mesh pouch when I wasn't paying attention. Once you kind of internalize how ridiculous a bear's sense of smell is you realize it's less about how well you hang and more about whether or not a bear gave enough of a poo poo.

i'm doing a 750mi canoe camping trip starting in june :toot: Got a flexible 4-6 weeks approved paid vacation from work.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 30, 2019

Nateron
Mar 9, 2009

What spit?

charity rereg posted:

if allowed (some parks allow them, some don't) I'd say take an Ursack only because they hit a proper place on the weight/convenience/feeling of security for most hikes.

Agreed I always feel like I half assed it in the end, or no matter what I do it winds up being pretty close to a traveled footpath, or there are literally people 200m downtrail snuggling their beef jerky. I've spent a solid 45m getting the "perfect PCT hang," then walked back to the shelter to find a new group has arrived slathered in food. Or as i said in the other post realizing that a friggin jolly rancher melted in my hip belt, or that turd I'm hiking with shoved a snickers wrapper in my mesh pouch when I wasn't paying attention. Once you kind of internalize how ridiculous a bear's sense of smell is you realize it's less about how well you hang and more about whether or not a bear gave enough of a poo poo.

i'm doing a 750mi canoe camping trip starting in june :toot: Got a flexible 4-6 weeks approved paid vacation from work.

Now now, you can’t leave us “hanging” with that sweet juicy nugget of info. Where is this trip? Long distance Canoe and river trips were so much fun that I’d love to physically restrain my children to go on one.

But I’ve had the same experience with bear hangs and other hikers. Truly well worn path it’s not worth the effort only because of the traffic.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

We're doing the Northern Forest Canoe Trail starting (weather etc etc) the first monday in June. I've previously done the first 90mi of this (the Adirondack 90 miler course if anyone's familiar, we have friends who race it every year) as a canoe camping trip with one of the same guys.

I've actually been trying to find some places where I can learn a little more advanced canoe technique (flipping it safely while in water, lining and tracking) but can't find one so Youtube it is I guess.

Still trying to source a canoe for the trip, may buy one used and just dump it for sale in Maine when we're done (my in laws live in Maine so this isn't a lot of effort)

https://www.northernforestcanoetrail.org/ I'll be figuring out the logistics and probably asking some questions over the coming weeks, as I'm primarily a backpacker. But today I'm off to hike because it's 59 degrees :D

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

1. PCT hang is always the way to go.
2. Moose are yuge.
3. Black bears are big ole teddy bears.
4. Brown bears are the work of the devil and the only thing that truly terrifies me.

Nateron
Mar 9, 2009

What spit?

charity rereg posted:

We're doing the Northern Forest Canoe Trail starting (weather etc etc) the first monday in June. I've previously done the first 90mi of this (the Adirondack 90 miler course if anyone's familiar, we have friends who race it every year) as a canoe camping trip with one of the same guys.

I've actually been trying to find some places where I can learn a little more advanced canoe technique (flipping it safely while in water, lining and tracking) but can't find one so Youtube it is I guess.

Still trying to source a canoe for the trip, may buy one used and just dump it for sale in Maine when we're done (my in laws live in Maine so this isn't a lot of effort)

https://www.northernforestcanoetrail.org/ I'll be figuring out the logistics and probably asking some questions over the coming weeks, as I'm primarily a backpacker. But today I'm off to hike because it's 59 degrees :D

So jealous. My dream is to do a rafting trip in Ontario or out west like that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dangerllama posted:

1. PCT hang is always the way to go.
2. Moose are yuge.
3. Black bears are big ole teddy bears.
4. Brown bears are the work of the devil and the only thing that truly terrifies me.

I've heard polar bears are even worse! As in you don't go to relieve yourself without a rifle in hand when you're on their turf.

At any rate this thread has given me a little more confidence so if you hear any stories in late July about some idiot getting in over his head in the bob marshall wilderness or kananaskis, that's me.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I used to go backpacking as the chaperone of a youth group. The group isn't around anymore so how do other adults find people to backpack with when all their friends aren't into it?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Hike solo until you stumble upon a camp. Chill with said camp

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

I finally bought a backpack and I'm wondering if it fits right. There seems to be a lot of space between the pack and the middle/upper part of my back. My torso measurement is in between M and L, so I went with a M. Thoughts?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

captkirk posted:

I used to go backpacking as the chaperone of a youth group. The group isn't around anymore so how do other adults find people to backpack with when all their friends aren't into it?

Meetup

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

captkirk posted:

I got married to my hiking partner, prior to that i tormented my friends to death. A coworker quit to hike the AP and ended up meeting his blushing bride on the trail, but he said he meet a metric ton of hiking partners along the way.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Tacier posted:

I finally bought a backpack and I'm wondering if it fits right. There seems to be a lot of space between the pack and the middle/upper part of my back. My torso measurement is in between M and L, so I went with a M. Thoughts?

Is it loaded with actual weight in this photo or just pillows?

Do you live near an REI? They’ll take a look at it for free if you bring it in.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Tacier posted:

Yeah, put weight in it (if there isn't already) and it's hard to tell from the angle, but pull tight the straps under your armpits and then the ones that are on top of your shoulders.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Tsyni posted:

Yeah, put weight in it (if there isn't already) and it's hard to tell from the angle, but pull tight the straps under your armpits and then the ones that are on top of your shoulders.

About 19lbs in the pack in that photo. Everything is fully tightened and load lifters engaged at a 45 degree angle. It’s not uncomfortable, but just seems odd that the entire pack is resting on my lumbar.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Tacier posted:

About 19lbs in the pack in that photo. Everything is fully tightened and load lifters engaged at a 45 degree angle. It’s not uncomfortable, but just seems odd that the entire pack is resting on my lumbar.

You need to adjust the torso length on it some so it hugs closer to your back. You want the weight to be on your hips and lumbar like you said but it looks like instead of the shoulder strap weight pulling more on the top of the shoulders it’s on the front.

Essentially you have a pivot point right on your lower back that’s gonna get uncomfortable after a while with a heavier load. Ideally if you have a weighted pack your shoulder straps are there to keep it from pivoting backwards and for comfort.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Tacier posted:

Still looks too big to me, do they make a S? Is the back length adjustable at all? The hip belt looks about in the right spot but the point where the shoulder straps attaches to the pack is almost at the top of your shoulders and should be further down. If you can shorten that one or give a smaller version a try it should work a lot better.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
The small might be too small. It looks to me like you need to add 10--20# (don't break it of course) and reset all your straps. Typically this means opening everything as wide as possible, then throwing it on. At a heavier weight you'll probably tighten the shoulder straps first so you can get the belt at the right level.

After the belt is snug, you should be able to loosen the shoulder straps and reset them. At this point the pack should be comfortable, weight centered appropriately over your feet. The load lifters are last.

(It looks like you've over tightened the load lifters, hence the straps are getting pulled up like that.)

(It also could be a waist-vs-hip belt thing)

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

The small might be too small. It looks to me like you need to add 10--20# (don't break it of course) and reset all your straps. Typically this means opening everything as wide as possible, then throwing it on. At a heavier weight you'll probably tighten the shoulder straps first so you can get the belt at the right level.

After the belt is snug, you should be able to loosen the shoulder straps and reset them. At this point the pack should be comfortable, weight centered appropriately over your feet. The load lifters are last.

(It looks like you've over tightened the load lifters, hence the straps are getting pulled up like that.)

(It also could be a waist-vs-hip belt thing)

Huh yeah think you are right.

https://www.gregorypacks.com/packs-bags/backpacking-packs/baltoro-65-916BAL65.html

Looking at the dude in the picture for some reason one of the compression straps is on OP's shoulder (did you put it there for the photo or is it attached to something?) but apart from that the back components look about the same position.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Tacier posted:

lol i knew what pack that was immediately from your photo. The problem isn't the torso length, it's that the pack (and Gregory packs in general) has an aggressive ~*~lumbar support~*~ or some such bullshit that inevitably causes a large standoff between the pack and your upper back / shoulders, unless you are Quasimodo. I would not recommend trying to compensate for this by over-tightening the shoulders or (even worse) shortening the torso length.

You see how the back panel/padding juts out to meet your lower back? That's why there is a gap further up. The same thing would happen if you took a normal pack and stuck a water bottle or something between the pack and your lower back.

I believe this "feature" is removable or otherwise adjustable in this and other Gregory packs, but I never really used one so I'm not positive. If not, maybe try a pack with a less pronounced (or no) lumbar arch. Some people really like the lumbar support, others hate it. Personally I think there are good biomechanic reasons to NOT put that kind of arch in a pack, but it's really up to personal preference. But the bottom line is that if the arch of the lumbar support in the pack doesn't match the curvature of your back, you are not going to be able to get a really flush fit unless you compensate by pulling the top of the pack forward (e.g. by tightening shoulders), and this will put more weight on your shoulders/less on your hips.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeah according to google those packs have a removable lumbar shim. There are also some people saying that its removal helped.

Also sometimes certain brands don’t work for certain people. I’m not saying this is the case, and I have friends who love Gregory, but if that does end up being it I can’t shill for Osprey enough. I also recommend REI again (if theres one within hours) because they’ll have a bunch of weighted pillows and a tech to help you get things figured out.

On a lame note, I woke up planning to go hiking in 50 degree NC weather today and it’s snowing right now. Freaking southeast man, gonna be drowning in pollen tomorrow.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My wife did the REI thing last night and ended up with a Gregory. They do good work, guy talked her through the fit and we walked around the store for 30-ish minutes with a loaded pack to make sure everything was in order. Tech also pointed out that any swappable parts on a Gregory, they're allowed to swap from sizes up/down so if something doesn't quite fit there's even more ways to fix it.

So two points:

a) Gregory works great for some people, she tried every brand in the store and that one she liked best.
b) REI owns.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I have adult career having friends who still work at REI a couple times a month because they like being there. Also the employee discount.

Update: now it’s sleeting :(

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Adding to the REI fit people being super helpful. I went in eyeing other packs, but they patiently tried many brands and models on me and I ended up with a Gregory. For whatever reason it worked best on me. My wife got a new pack at the same time and Gregory was terrible on her (she ended up with an Osprey).

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Thanks for all the feedback. I’m naturally quite swaybacked, so I thought the extra lumbar support of the Gregory would be good to fill in the arch of my lower back, but maybe not. I’ll experiment with more weight and removing the lumbar pad if possible.

I wish I had an REI within 100 miles. I’ll probably just go to Sportsman’s Warehouse and throw some 20lb bags of hardwood pellets into the packs while they glare at me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

It turns out canoes are loving expensive and as a cyclist/hiker it's not my area of gear porn. Anyone know poo poo about canoes for 4-6 week canoe trips for 2?

We're looking for light, but not ultra light and it looks like it's Craigslist for us.