Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Okay Im going to try and get my first win again today. What combo do I try.

sorry for the bad snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

HisMajestyBOB posted:

So your vision range is 6, but enemies have 8?
Sounds like a terrible idea, not only for the grief of getting one-shotted by things out of LoS, but also crawl has a very big thing about normal vision being reciprocal. It's entirely possible the race would be a coding nightmare.

Toalpaz posted:

MiFi^Oka is the most safe, braindead thing on earth. If you have trouble with feeling like you're behind the curve midgame, then try a HaHu^Oka, which has more decision making with slings etc, but will peak in power earlier at the cost of later maxhp issues.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 31, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Serephina posted:

Sounds like a terrible idea, not only for the grief of getting one-shotted by things out of LoS, but also crawl has a very big thing about normal vision being reciprocal. It's entirely possible the race would be a coding nightmare.
I don't know about the coding part of it, but I kind of like the idea. It's mechanically interesting and would require a very different style of play. Blind spots and angles would be incredibly important, more than they already are, but having high passive perception abilities would also allow you to plan for them.

It would be a fresh kind of challenge for when you don't care about winning or playing optimally.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

Toalpaz posted:

sorry for the bad snipe

An unarmed troll fighter of yred if you want an easy win. Just stick with your claws.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

HisMajestyBOB posted:

So your vision range is 6, but enemies have 8?
No, everyone had 6, Dithmenos style, so they can't see you at a range outside it. Needs SOMETHING to balance out having... probably blurry vision 3, actually.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

I don't know about the coding part of it, but I kind of like the idea. It's mechanically interesting and would require a very different style of play. Blind spots and angles would be incredibly important, more than they already are, but having high passive perception abilities would also allow you to plan for them.

It would be a fresh kind of challenge for when you don't care about winning or playing optimally.

The coding would absolutely be an enormous nightmare. If someone wants to pull request that, be my guest.

Edit: Specifically the different vision ranges thing. If it worked with the same vision rules as everything currently is, it wouldn't be too bad.

JfishPirate
Jun 24, 2006
I have been grossly misinformed about witches.
On the topic of odd ideas, I thought of this one and figured I'd see if anyone else thought it had merit:

Allow LRD to blow up crystal plate armor on the floor. It would be as if a crystal wall was there, and they're rare enough that it would just be a nice little "grenade" for Earth Elementalists. Certainly not necessary, but it seems like it might be a fun/thematic use of the spell.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Floodkiller posted:

The coding would absolutely be an enormous nightmare. If someone wants to pull request that, be my guest.

Edit: Specifically the different vision ranges thing. If it worked with the same vision rules as everything currently is, it wouldn't be too bad.
I'll take your word for it. That's a shame, though, I really liked the concept. Blurry Vision is more obnoxious and not nearly as entertaining to play around.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Floodkiller posted:

Yeah, I don't know where that idea came from. I just meant an auto-Dithmenos thing. It'd be cool, but... yeah, yikes.

Here, putting the idea in game terms:
- Small size
- Antennae 1 or 2, probably one. Styled as having nose-feelers.
- Gnoll-style smell valuables.
- Blurry vision 3
- Claws 3
- Range 6 or 7 vision, a la Dithmenos
- Digging claws or mandibles a la formicids
- Hilariously bad ranged apts (except throwing which is just mediocre), bad dodge
- Really good unarmed apt, stealth apt, good Earth magic, bad Air magic, maybe good transmutation or something, IDK

Edit: Or, hilarious option, make them Large instead of small, and give them regen. Basically Stealth Trolls with a side of Formicid. Troll Mole.

Edit 2: Rock trolls! Bright them back as actually-interesting rock trolls. Someone teach me how to code a species and I'll make it.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 31, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Well, it just made sense at the time. I didn't know that vision symmetry is that deeply embedded in the engine, that would be too much to ask of anyone. :shrug:

PMush Perfect posted:

- Blurry vision 3
Got any other ideas for something that would also be thematic, but less apt to gently caress you over randomly at the worst moment? Honestly, I'm not a fan negative mutations like Blurry Vision or Teleportitis. They're too likely either not end up mattering on any given run if you have good luck, or to end it early simply out of bad luck, not because of any mistake you actually made. When you die because you didn't prepare properly for the worst possibility, it feels like something you could've done better. It's a lot more frustrating to die because a sixty percent chance to fail at reading scrolls kicks in at just the wrong time to keep you from reading that scroll of controlled blink you desperately need. Honestly, I think the game would be better off without them, as a general thing.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

sixty percent chance to fail at reading scrolls kicks in at just the wrong time
That got changed in 0.16 to just making it take longer. BV 1 takes 5 AU longer, BV 2 takes 10, BV 3 takes 20.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

That got changed in 0.16 to just making it take longer. BV 1 takes 5 AU longer, BV 2 takes 10, BV 3 takes 20.
Yeah, alright, that doesn't sound so bad, then.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Give mole people the ability to craft glasses that fix Blurry Vision, but they take a helmet slot and break easily.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

PMush Perfect posted:

Here, putting the idea in game terms:
- Claws 3
- Really good unarmed apt
- good Earth magic
- good transmutation

:hmmyes: :honked:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Free bonus power: is really cute.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Can the moles be 3rd best at all the things they're "good" at?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i support mole race. do the reduced sightline thing and flavor it so that enemies have a harder time seeing your character because they're sort of camouflaged due to being a weird dungeon mole that has moss and stuff growing on it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

i support mole race. do the reduced sightline thing and flavor it so that enemies have a harder time seeing your character because they're sort of camouflaged due to being a weird dungeon mole that has moss and stuff growing on it.
The question then is why not just give them the Camouflage mutation.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

PMush Perfect posted:

Burrow ability, applies invis and root. You have to break it to move. Maybe if they walk by you you can break it to stab.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

PMush Perfect posted:

i wasn't aware that was a thing

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
enemies have a harder time seeing you cause your fur is dark, like the walls of the dungeon

do not ask why this applies when wearing armor, or in places like lair or shoals

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

I've actually managed to get a ez MiFi through Shoals and Snake and through to Vault 4. I hear Vault 5 can get real bad because they basically drop you in the middle of a big fight. While normally I'd be confident about that I see that it can spawn Liches/Necromancers and the only people actually scaring me now are people casting Torment and rapidly depleting my HP.

For a fully melee character, with rC and ac 30 and all that good stuff, do you think it's less risky to do Slime and stair dance without being worried about Torment?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Toalpaz posted:

I've actually managed to get a ez MiFi through Shoals and Snake and through to Vault 4. I hear Vault 5 can get real bad because they basically drop you in the middle of a big fight. While normally I'd be confident about that I see that it can spawn Liches/Necromancers and the only people actually scaring me now are people casting Torment and rapidly depleting my HP.

For a fully melee character, with rC and ac 30 and all that good stuff, do you think it's less risky to do Slime and stair dance without being worried about Torment?
If you've got good (at LEAST **, preferably ***) rF, what you can do is bring some scrolls of immolation down. Read one, kill one or two guys and cause a chain reaction that clears out a lot of the fight. Then, run up the stairs, wait for the noise to gather everything around the stairs again, and do it again.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Toalpaz posted:

I hear Vault 5 can get real bad because they basically drop you in the middle of a big fight. While normally I'd be confident about that I see that it can spawn Liches/Necromancers and the only people actually scaring me now are people casting Torment and rapidly depleting my HP.

I love this quote, as it really really doesn't get what a giant clusterfudge V5 can be. MiFi's have it best, as they are actually 'ok' with pulling Vault guards up in melee range eight-at-a-time compared to some casters who have to blink past it and go all-in. So yes, tormentors CAN exist in V5, but that's not the real threat. It's just getting mobbed by a menagerie that's more dense and varied than expected.

Slime rune isn't really stair-dance friendly; the Royal Jelly is the major 1:1 fight who will happily regen to max nowadays if you bail to reroll the fight. His schtick is spawning a small army of jellies as he takes damage, so your best option is to clear the perimeter, then fight him in a central corridor (with tele to bail if needed) so no more than a single spawn of his can reach you. He hits hard.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

If you're willing to fight the Royal Jelly, you'll probably do fine going for the Abyssal rune instead.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Toalpaz posted:

For whichever third rune you choose, I'd recommend clearing Depths first if you haven't already done so.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Toalpaz posted:

As a MiFi before your third rune you should in plate or dragon armour and your AC/EV should be like 40+/30+ or 50+/20+.

Listen to Aston. Run Depths, maybe Crypt, get better defenses. Hit # in game for a game dump and post it here and you can get better advice. Depths are a good indication of if you are ready for your third rune.

Your third rune will generally be Slime, Abyss, or Vaults 5 based on your gear. All three places are newbie traps and the defenses/resists they require are highly situational. The main difference is Slime if things go poorly you can generally escape with 1-2 blink scrolls and there's only one tough fight. Vaults and Abyss you're locked in and you're not getting out without a very large axe or a very disarming personality.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

https://pastebin.com/hXuHbvst

I'm not playing webtiles because I like to click on menu options and stuff on the ground and spells sometimes. Sounds like I should grind depths.

Its really hard to tell with the difficulty spikes because I'm literally just tabbing through most things atm.

Serephina posted:

I love this quote, as it really really doesn't get what a giant clusterfudge V5 can be. MiFi's have it best, as they are actually 'ok' with pulling Vault guards up in melee range eight-at-a-time compared to some casters who have to blink past it and go all-in. So yes, tormentors CAN exist in V5, but that's not the real threat. It's just getting mobbed by a menagerie that's more dense and varied than expected.

My great fear is 3 people standing between me an a Lich and them summoning a Demon who torments me 3 times while I try to get to him + vault warden locks the stairs. And a lightning dragon hits me for like that last hit.

Toalpaz fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Apr 1, 2019

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Honestly summoners are not that prevalent of a threat in V:5, last I checked. Summoners and Tormentors CAN spawn iirc, but it's not something you should be over-preparing for. Especially liches of all things. V:5 is special in its very wide monster selection, made even more expansive by glowing shapeshifters turning into all sorts of random stuff (but there's only a few of them across the level). The major threats are overconfidence and/or not being able to handle the initial swarm when you go down the steps.

The immolation scroll thing was first brainstormed as a joke, but now that I think of it, it's probably the most reliable way for a melee char to murder the multiple wardens asap. While also being hilarious.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Ouch, lol I knew rE+ was important to look out for but just died to a couple of cyan ugly things whoops. Probably could have retreated earlier but it really only took it like 5 turns to murder me.

I popped a tele scroll once I realized I was under half but upon thinking about it I could of quaffed resistance potion. I was thinking of health gaining stuff, and I didn't really have anything to out heal how much damage it was doing and I didn't want to teleport somewhere exhausted from berserk. I didn't realize the danger really because I frequently killed like 6-8 very ugly thinigs at a time without taking a scratch and didn't know how much elemental damage they did I think.

I think what would really give me closure is a big old dark souls 'you died' complete with sound effect.

Toalpaz fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 1, 2019

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
The biggest threat on V:5 are the Wardens that lock down the stairs and cause you to poo poo your pants. Kill them ASAP because they will gently caress you over.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
The Vault <foo> are all nasty (and great) enemies. One prevents your escape by mundane means, another marks you so your position is known to large section of the level, a third takes on the injury of an adjacent enemy, and a fourth will blow their horn to bring in all enemies within a certain radius to them!

I guess except for guards, who are just brutish and carry big weapons.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Usually the issue tracker is really boring but sometimes...

quote:

0011941: Really are you serious?!
DCSS Tracker / by TanisTheRed / 10h
Not only the entire game was I getting things spawned in areas they are not supposed to be in, but areas not even of their levels!!!!! I finally make it ZOT and level 1 I had no bad mutations what the gently caress ever and by the end of level 1 I had 7 bad ones that loving killed me in 2 instantly. That is a major flaw or your just retarded in development! The concept of the game is great but currently its like retarded children are coding it. There is a word in games that apparently is forgotten now called BALANCE you morons

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Toalpaz posted:

Ouch, lol I knew rE+ was important to look out for but just died to a couple of cyan ugly things whoops. Probably could have retreated earlier but it really only took it like 5 turns to murder me.

If you are going to die, read blink, then tport if you have to. Ugly things are fast so you can't run, there is a change you will get hit on the first step, even with your boots of running you can get caught when energy randomization gives your enemy an extra turn.

Your skilling and gear choices look fine. Looks like Oka gifted you a hand crossbow, a spear, a mace, a -3 shield, boots of running, and an int cloak. And your Orc shops must have sucked.

Only mistake here is not keeping your resistances in mind at all times post-Lair. Other idle thoughts:
- you had un-ided potions and scrolls of identify
- probably better to wear rpois rn+ ring than rc with rc+ already in play.
- if you ever find yourself wielding distort again it's probably best to risk abyssal and remove it
- using a shield is a trap, never use a shield until you've won 3 games

Probably the best advice to a pure melee is to train your chosen weapon almost exclusively. Generally you want to do this until you are at or close to at minimum delay. If your attack speed is over 1.000 you should have to be able to write a 17 page thesis documenting any time you aren't putting 100% of your xp into your weapon.

If your fighting and armor are under 5 maybe bring them up when your weapon hits 10. Until then every point of xp you put into something else except maybe fighting reduces your survival. Nothing is more important than attacking faster than your enemy. Nothing. If your grandma calls and needs to get to the hospital tell her you will be there when you are attacking at 0.9.

I see people going in at XL3 and turning on 5 skills and I'm like "i hope that extra point of AC is a comfort when a hydra bites you 14 times between swings"

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 1, 2019

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Does offline tiles keep crashlogs? I've got a FoFi on Tomb 1 that consistently CTDs (three times so far) when clearing out the middle. It's not always the same place, and the last one I'm pretty sure I had the level 90% cleared or so. Sometimes a monster is on screen when it happens sometimes not, using most recent build linked earlier in the thread, fresh save/new game.

It's not urgent since I'm at work now anyway and won't be able to act on any info for at least 8 hours.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I've noticed the game crashes a bunch on webtiles while fighting mummies as well, wonder what's up with that.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 1, 2019

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

The game is punishing you for not worshiping Kiku, the One True God. The crashes are death curses

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Practical Uses of Singularity

Pt 1: Initialization

quote:

Ignacio, Master of Excruciating Pain comes into view. He is wielding an
_executioner's axe of pain.
Space collapses on itself with a satisfying crunch.
You hear a hideous shriek! You hear a screech!
Something bleats, "I will devour thy liver!"
You hear a shout! x2
Ignacio hits your singularity with an executioner's axe of pain!!
Ignacio hits your singularity with an executioner's axe of pain!
Ignacio hits your singularity with an executioner's axe of pain!! x2
Ignacio looks at his axe, then at you, then at his axe, then at you...
Ignacio hits your singularity with an executioner's axe of pain.
_Ignacio hits your singularity with an executioner's axe of pain! x3
You conjure a mighty blast of ice!
The great icy blast engulfs your singularity.
Your singularity partially resists.
The singularity is flash-frozen. The great icy blast engulfs Ignacio.
Ignacio partially resists. Ignacio is flash-frozen.
You hear a shout! You hear a trumpeting! You hear a roar! You hear a bellow!
You hear a roar! You hear a shout!
_Ignacio is engulfed in freezing vapours.

Pt 2: Repositioning

quote:

Your singularity implodes!
Space collapses on itself with a satisfying crunch.
Ignacio gestures.
Ignacio seems to speed up.
Ignacio hits your singularity with an executioner's axe of pain!!
Ignacio hits your singularity with an executioner's axe of pain.
Ignacio hits your singularity with an executioner's axe of pain!
_Ignacio hits your singularity with an executioner's axe of pain!!
A raging storm of fire appears!
The great blast of fire engulfs Ignacio.
Ignacio partially resists.
The great blast of fire engulfs your singularity.
Your singularity partially resists.
_Ignacio is engulfed in blazing flames. The singularity twists Ignacio apart!
Ignacio is engulfed in blazing flames. x2
_The singularity twists Ignacio apart!
Ignacio is nearby!
A raging storm of fire appears!
The great blast of fire engulfs Ignacio.
Ignacio partially resists.
You kill Ignacio!

Singularities are tough! Holy crap!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Coming back to crawl after a long time and not following this thread every post, but in gooncrawl is there a penalty for leaving a permabuff at 20% success rate (besides the corresponding decrease in spellpower)? I know in hellcrawl is consumed more MP if you did that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Nope. Use all the 20% permabuffs your heart desires.