Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

she yeah like screamed in pain when they just moved her on to the board. sounds quite bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Not a doctor, but have seen people break ribs in judo and it looked and sounded very similar. Can't breathe, pain at any motion at all.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That would seem like the most likely injury from having someone powerbombed onto you too.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

Still very serious. They can pierce a lung.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I bruised a rib once and it sucked for a whole month. Not much you can do for those too, you just kinda have to take painkillers and chill.

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves

DarkstarIV posted:

Shiki Shibusawa has officially retired. It wasn't due to injuries as some had suspected. It was due to fan harassment. That was according to Xia Brookside. The retirement speech was uploaded to STARDOM World and its absolutely heart wrenching.

I hope she changes her mind eventually.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Charlie Morgan also got hurt at the SHIMMER show. Landed awkwardly on a dive, was carried to the back and didn't finish the match

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/SCsirens/status/1112500909710499840

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's good news, although recovery for bruised ribs is still like a month.

Do the women's promotions do stuff for WM weekend? That sucks if she has to miss out.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

That's good news, although recovery for bruised ribs is still like a month.

Do the women's promotions do stuff for WM weekend? That sucks if she has to miss out.

Battle Club Pro has an all women's show on Wednesday. SHIMMER and Stardom have shows on Friday. Outside of those, there's a few women booked on other shows here and there.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

DarkstarIV posted:

Shiki Shibusawa has officially retired. It wasn't due to injuries as some had suspected. It was due to fan harassment. That was according to Xia Brookside. The retirement speech was uploaded to STARDOM World and its absolutely heart wrenching.

She was the first wrestler I ever saw live in person so this sucks

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Stardom's English twitter/reddit guy also mentioned a while back when Shiki was on hiatus that she'd seen a bunch of people saying she was bad on twitter and it made her think about not coming back :/

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

I have altered my retirement plans. Pray I do not alter them any further.
Delilah Doom also sprained her ankle catching a dive at RISE, and will be out for the near future. Sucks considering that the tapings were pretty good, even with the death of top level talent.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

a lot of the ladies they were introducing the last couple weekends have gotten really pretty good in the interim. like sam heights and brittany blake and zoe lucas and jessica troy and indi hartwell are all obviously way more confident in what theyre doing than they were

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/shimmerwomen/status/1112574648296923137?s=21

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Super No Vacancy posted:

a lot of the ladies they were introducing the last couple weekends have gotten really pretty good in the interim. like sam heights and brittany blake and zoe lucas and jessica troy and indi hartwell are all obviously way more confident in what theyre doing than they were

Heights has been very good for years. Real shame she can't seem to get a break anywhere.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

now I feel bad about calling her Princess Feather Duster.

drat, Shiki.

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006
SHIMMER's had a backlog of people that were just stuck in prelim hell for various reasons, so they are in good shape once the Signing Shock settles. Sam Heights, Shotzi, Solo Darling and Doom are over as heck. AK47 can get bumped up easily to a more prominent place on the card. Jessica Troy is super good, Hyan is good, Zoe Lucas has a super high ceiling, AQA has potential, Penelope Ford can slot in to whatever role they need. I think Harlow is solid and they didn't even use her for the main show. The Vape Girl with the buzzcut from RISE intrigues me.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

Cory Lidle posted:

SHIMMER's had a backlog of people that were just stuck in prelim hell for various reasons, so they are in good shape once the Signing Shock settles. Sam Heights, Shotzi, Solo Darling and Doom are over as heck. AK47 can get bumped up easily to a more prominent place on the card. Jessica Troy is super good, Hyan is good, Zoe Lucas has a super high ceiling, AQA has potential, Penelope Ford can slot in to whatever role they need. I think Harlow is solid and they didn't even use her for the main show. The Vape Girl with the buzzcut from RISE intrigues me.

Sloan (vape girl) really does a good Serena Deeb in SES cosplay.

I really wanted Shazza to win that title though. Love Savoy and all, but I am ready for a new champ and Shazza would be great.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Santana Garrett wants to know where you think she should sign https://www.instagram.com/p/BvxH5jrHcI0/

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Chris James 2 posted:

Santana Garrett wants to know where you think she should sign https://www.instagram.com/p/BvxH5jrHcI0/

I've wondered about this before: what's the landscape like for women's wresting in terms of good opportunities?

Smackdown is kind of boring me, so I'll check Wikipedia. Wikipedia tells me that...

- WWE's got 29 women on the main roster (counting Beth Phoenix, Maria Kanellis, and Zelina Vega), 19 women on NXT (including UK), and nine women at the performance center. I'm guessing that last figure should be higher, but I kind of doubt random signees allowed to train at the performance center are making a living wage. So, that's roughly 50 spots.
- AEW has nine women's wrestlers signed; I'm guessing they'll probably sign at least a couple more before their TV starts.
- Impact has 10 women wrestlers, who I don't think are exclusive.
- Ring of Honor has 8 women wrestlers; I think this is the same as Impact.
- NJPW, AJPW, Dragon's Gate, Pro Wrestling Noah, and MLW don't have any women from what I can tell.
- CMLL has 15 women's wrestlers, AAA has 11, Chikara has five, and Lucha Underground has two (I think?)
- I don't think CZW has any women?
- I can't really tell from Stardom, Shimmer, Shine, Pro-Wrestling: EVE, or Women of Wrestling's websites who is exclusively signed to them and would be able to make a living based off of their earnings from that particular promotion. There are a bunch of Japanese women's promotions listed on Wikipedia that I've never heard of, too.

Some of the top male wrestlers have said that the indies are awesome these days and you can make a fine living jumping around little local promotions and making occasional showings at non-WWE bigger promotions. Is this same thing true for women?

If not, it seems like roughly 100 women would realistically be able to make a living as a pro wrestler without also having second jobs.

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006
First of all, there's a whole lot of indies in that post that don't have the ability to sign talent.

In terms of overall opportunity, I think AEW is probably Santana's best bet. Her heel work isn't stellar but she's a really experienced person that can wrangle their core of younger talent that is improving or just needs to be carried (sorry Britt). WWE is just signing people and putting them in a closet. If they don't have anything for Candice LeRae, I can't imagine that Takeover is in the near future for anyone signed after her. Impact is better than WOH, but Santana already had a run there and they had NO IDEA what to do with her.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

She should definitely go to AEW and also wrestle for STARDOM. I've always enjoyed her and have always been kind of surprised that she hasn't had more of a big break.

I also found it weird that she was a part of MLW right at the start to the point of being featured in their TV ads, but they seem to have completely given up on ever developing a women's division or even doing intergender matches. One of their last two women on the roster, Aria Blake, disappeared after MJF got injured and they wrote her off in a throwaway line on commentary. Salina de la Renta is still there and the biggest manager on the roster, but that's it. No women actively wrestling since, I think, an MJF/Aria vs Ryan/Taya mixed tag from the War Games tapings.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Not really sure about the AEW situation but if the money's legit it seems like the best way to go.

Anyway here's a literal child getting murdered by a dropkick

https://twitter.com/HeidiKatrinaa/status/1113447548767866880

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

That "child" is the same age as the IWGP Champion!

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

ok figurative child.

still died tho

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Stardom actually announced their New York crowd and its... actually pretty good

Wonder of Stardom Championship: Momo Watanabe (c) vs Utami Hayashishita
Elimination Tag Match: Oedo Tai (Kagetsu, Andras Miyagi, Jamie Hayter, Martina) vs STARS (Mayu Iwatani, Saki Kashima, Tam Nakano, Arisa Hoshiki)
High Speed Championship: Hazuki (c) vs Dust
Brittany Blake & Britt Baker vs Queens Quest (Bea Priestley & Konami) vs International Army (Hana Kimura & Bobby Tyler)
JAN (Jungle Kyona & Natsuko Tora) vs Sonya Strong & Violette

Only five matches which is on the short side although its not abnormal for a Stardom show to only be five or six matches. What I was thinking is that they might have wanted to ensure that they had time to sell merch at the end before people had to rush over to NXT Takeover - I could be wrong here though.

Its a bit of a one match show but what a match it is: this instantly is the thing that I'm most looking forward to this Mania weekend. You have the real 2019 Rookie of the Year in Utami against Momo Watanabe who's been on fire I think in terms of big title matches recently. Utami is still on the green side and you can tell in the matches that she has with similarly less experienced people (not that its bad; its something that will improve with time) but when she's been against top level people before - even in like her first match against Jungle Kyona - she can have some very good matches. No real story in this other than Momo just saying "I want to face Utami next" after defending his title at Korakuen.

Everything else is the sort of stuff that you might get in a mid-level Stardom show in Japan - so its not a card full of big top matches but alternatively they've clearly tried to put on something authentic (I was a little worried that a lot of the top level matches would be non-Stardom regular foreigners but hey they've not done that). Those Elimination Tag main events they do are usually fun and I can imagine that the semi-main will be the same; they might set something up for the World Title here but I don't know whether they'd rather wait until they were back in Japan to set up title challenges that'd take place in Japan. You also have that Arisa/Tam feud thing which I'm sure will blow up at some point since they are clearly building to SOMETHING if they have rivalries within factions. The High Speed Title match should be fun - what I've seen of Dust has been good and Hazuki is very talented. And everything else is an undercard tag to get people on the tour including the annoying three-way match that Stardom always do. I imagine that the Stardom wrestlers will probably be working fairly hard in these so they won't be bad but I don't think that they'll be classics either. Opening match might be them having a look at that HOG team for possible future people to bring in for tours as well I imagine.

All in bar that main event its honestly probably not going to be a groundbreaking show but that main event is probably worth spending the tenner it costs to watch it!

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

I wish they would've sprung for Natsu to come over instead of using Martina in that Oedo Tai tag, but I can understand why they did it the way they did. It's also sad that Shazza McKenzie, after a year of campaigning to get on a Stardom show, couldn't get on the card when they were in the same city, but maybe she's already booked.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Shazza’s on the Black Label Pro show that’s running at the same time

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006
Sonya Strong, Britt Baker and Violette are dog poo poo. Good luck with that.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

TheHock posted:

I wish they would've sprung for Natsu to come over instead of using Martina in that Oedo Tai tag, but I can understand why they did it the way they did. It's also sad that Shazza McKenzie, after a year of campaigning to get on a Stardom show, couldn't get on the card when they were in the same city, but maybe she's already booked.

Isn't Natsu under 18? The only thing separating that card from a Korakuen is the lack of kid's undercard.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

no shes in like her mid to late 20s

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

DM Punk posted:

Sloan (vape girl) really does a good Serena Deeb in SES cosplay.

Check out her Fury Road outfit. Incredible.

And she's big and stronk.

TheHock
Jul 3, 2008

I guess Mercedes Martinez is going to wrestle tomorrow on the SHIMMER show a week after having to be carried out of the ring screaming in pain from a bruised rib. She is an amazing, crazy person.

TheHock fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Apr 5, 2019

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
So this STARDOM show so far is pretty rough viewing. The bottom rope is broken and they won't fix it (House of Glory). Commentary is unironically worse than anything WWE has ever put out.

On the flipside, the production botch during the three way tag match was great just because Hana flipped out and went off on the production crew for it.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."
Interesting... yikes.

STARDOM with commentary?! What a strange concept.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Is this supposed to show up on STARDOM World at some point? I want to see this but also don't want to pay for it if I just have to wait a week or two.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Apply for a refund if you ordered that Stardom show. Got mine right away.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
I don't think that was STARDOM's fault, to be fair. It was likely House of Glory, which is basically a bottom of the barrel promotion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

It doesn't really matter whose fault it is, you should still get your money back for not getting what you ordered.