Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I've taken to calling them Femuto and Hokmuto, though the Hok- doesn't really make sense if he comes from Janjira.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Finally watched MGK last night. It was pretty dang good. Milky eyed G was a good look for that story.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The Golden Gael posted:

I've taken to calling them Femuto and Hokmuto, though the Hok- doesn't really make sense if he comes from Janjira.

These Naruto spinoffs are getting ridiculous.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Apparently they deliberately didn't give the MUTOs individual names because they should be thought of as a pair.

That's what I've heard as well. They were conceived of as a single kaiju and threat that happens to consist of two separate creatures.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cythereal posted:

That's what I've heard as well. They were conceived of as a single kaiju and threat that happens to consist of two separate creatures.

Which is a downright solid gold idea; it sums up their role, motives and mannerisms, and suits the naturalistic approach with the Legendary Kaiju as animals leftover from a goddamn insane ancient ecosystem. But also means that you could probably drop them into a remake or into future Godzilla slugfests or whatever and they'd have a clear role and niche unique to them. (Maybe they'd be like the Ice Climbers in a game)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Got a little bit of a way into Godzilla '84 last night.

Can't say I was digging it all that much - it's almost as goofy as the 70s films but without the charming campiness, and the general Cold War greyness was a bit of a drag.

Maybe it'll get better in the last third or so though

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Watch Godzilla 85 instead so they keep cutting back to Raymond Burr doing his best Orson Welles impression and endless dr pepper advertisements.

If Toho ever wanted to use the Mutos again I hope they give them a bit of a redesign, maybe some yellow lightning stripes down their body instead of just the charcoal skin and red eyes. Something to make them stand out in dark battle scenes.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Watch Godzilla 85 instead so they keep cutting back to Raymond Burr doing his best Orson Welles impression and endless dr pepper advertisements.

If Toho ever wanted to use the Mutos again I hope they give them a bit of a redesign, maybe some yellow lightning stripes down their body instead of just the charcoal skin and red eyes. Something to make them stand out in dark battle scenes.

Concept art for the Mutos featured them having bright red bioluminescence going down their limbs.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Speaking of Mutos, this nasty is kind of interesting for a book only kaiju.

quote:

MUTO Prime shares its basic body shape and appearance with its offspring. However, it is considerably larger and possesses a hardened outer shell along with razor-sharp back spines. MUTO Prime's legs are gigantic and muscular, as are its forelimbs which it uses to knuckle-walk. MUTO Prime's skin is primarily smooth and black, save for its forelimbs which are mostly covered in orange scales. MUTO Prime is genetically programmed to seek out a Titan host for its offspring. After defeating an opponent in battle, MUTO Prime's ovipositors which are guided by detecting uranium in a Titan's blood will stab its foe like a scorpion's tail, implanting parasitic eggs into the Titan's stomach lining. The eggs incubate by breaking down the hemoglobin in the host's blood to feed on the nuclear material, eventually rendering the host unable to replenish its atomic energy until it finally dies. The embryos then continue to develop within the host's carcass for centuries before finally hatching and breaking through its ribcage. The result of this parasitic infection is two subspecies of MUTO Prime, a male and a female which will subsequently mate and reproduce, creating countless offspring which could threaten to overrun the world. Monarch simply designates MUTO Prime's offspring as "MUTOs," an acronym for "Massive Unidentified Terrestrial Organism."
Apparently, the eggs the Mutos layed in 2014 would have grown into this abomination. I would enjoy solo movies pitting Goji, Kong, and Mothra against these and other new titans.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Having a parasite whose maturity was hastened by the hosts death would also be a neat setup- they kill the big monster, only for a poo poo load of parasites to sprout out of it and rapidly grow. Like those disgusting worms that slither out of drowned insects.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeuHi3FN840

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Okay but is this a show, a film, a pachinko game, what?

I refuse to have interest for a pachinko game.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Wizchine posted:

Maybe the military attempts to backstab Godzilla at the end of the movie because they decide we don't want to be his pets and he causes too much damage bumbling around, and an angry Godzilla has declared jihad on mankind setting up Godzilla vs Kong.

I dunno - does anyone really give a gently caress about Kong? This movie has the main antagonist as far as I'm concerned.

That's a negative on Kong. There's got to be more to it, or else I don't know how they expect it to excite people more than this one.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

I seriously hope Kong gets a buff from electricity.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

The Golden Gael posted:

I seriously hope Kong gets a buff from electricity.
In an extremely convenient twist of fate, Kong comes upon a large chunk of golden flesh and can't help himself.

Did anyone else see the 4th TV spot today? This movie is going to be loving bonkers.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Schwarzwald posted:

Okay but is this a show, a film, a pachinko game, what?

I refuse to have interest for a pachinko game.

It's an April Fool's joke.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Kong gets food poisoning from eating too many Ghidora eggs and grows 1.5x bigger and keeps barfing lightning. The battle ends when Godzilla pile drivers Kong into a Grove of trees that turn out to be the antitode.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Waffleman_ posted:

It's an April Fool's joke.

Oh, thank god. I couldn't handle it being a pachinko game.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

What’s not an April Fools joke is that NECA is releasing a Godzilla action figure based off of the NES game.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Thor: "I'm the god of thu -"

To be honest, this TV spot might show too much, but it gets me hyped all the same. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGACpnfEp1o

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Godzilla choke slamming Ghidorah's noodle neck is some pure Showa era action and I'm loving it.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Here's the throw down TV spot in HD. I'm in awe of these majestic bois and lady.
https://twitter.com/TohoKingdom/status/1112791084956958720

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
the zip line ends at the truck, but the ride doesnt end at the truck. from there Ghidorah is driven to the set of Godzilla: King of the Monsters were they must fight Rodan, Mothra, and Godzilla, all whom have been given permission to use wrestling moves on the kaiju

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Tekne posted:

Here's the throw down TV spot in HD. I'm in awe of these majestic bois and lady.

Inject this movie directly into my eyeballs

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Tekne posted:

thoughts:

17 kaiju and counting, holy poo poo! GvKong = a post-apocalypse setting?

Godzilla's eyes glow blue when he does his heat beam, holy poo poo!

Ghidorah's gravity beams are launching out of its body everywhere. Shin Ghidorah?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

17 kaiju and counting, holy poo poo! GvKong = a post-apocalypse setting?

The Serizawa line is clearly from a different scene. I'm guessing he's referring to cities that have been impacted by the monsters.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This might finally pass Crank 2 as best kaiju fight of all time.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Another new spot, oh my: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OL4D-KO3Gs

The fx artists deserve applause for making the titans both glorious and expressive. Ghidorah fills you with fear while Godzilla reassures.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This is everything little 5 year old me wanted.

Holy gently caress.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Tekne posted:

Another new spot, oh my: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OL4D-KO3Gs

The fx artists deserve applause for making the titans both glorious and expressive. Ghidorah fills you with fear while Godzilla reassures.

That first shot of Ghidorah where he's looking right at you is menacing as gently caress

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Ok. They are showing way too much now. I'm out. See y'all on the other side

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Ok. They are showing way too much now. I'm out. See y'all on the other side

I have to agree. It's going to be amazing, and I don't want to be weak and take too much in now!

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Now I want an entire book of kaiju etchings by Gustave Doré.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Heh, I'm going to watch the final trailer with a huge grin on my face. It's supposed to be set to Nessun dorma.

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
Hype-level: Off the charts.

My 10-year old self wanted to see this 25 years ago but I'll be content with seeing it at all. Bonus points: my 12 year-old son will get to experience this as a child. He's already beyond excited.

Unlike, say Pacific Rim, I don't feel like we've seen the tip of the iceberg yet. I will save myself from a lot more of the tv spots but the spectacle is really hitting the right notes. I have no idea how GvK is going to remotely top this.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Last trailer i was the Beautiful one and yeah at this point I don’t need to see anything else. Unsubbing from this thread until release. Good luck, goons.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Was there any confirmation on what those spidery claw things coming out of the ground are?

brawleh
Feb 25, 2011

I figured out why the hippo did it.

This feels like it's tempting your BvS cut treatment, which i'm totally loving down for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Was there any confirmation on what those spidery claw things coming out of the ground are?

You may want to take this with a grain of salt, but

there was a Godzilla '14 teaser that showed footage of a centipede-like kaiju. This kaiju was scrapped for the MUTOs instead. However, some speculate this is the kaiju coming out of the ground in these new trailers. I don't find this unreasonable since they have the CGI model of the kaiju, why not use it