Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I also assumed Scorsese was going to be a director, not Exective Producer. Remind me again, what does Executive Producer mean exactly? My understanding is that they contributed a large amount of the money and have a significant degree of influence when it comes to either suggesting something or vetoing something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I also assumed Scorsese was going to be a director, not Exective Producer. Remind me again, what does Executive Producer mean exactly? My understanding is that they contributed a large amount of the money and have a significant degree of influence when it comes to either suggesting something or vetoing something?

Scorsese was always announced as the producer, not that he was directing. The Internet saw the press release and through the usual game of telephone that the Internet plays, people started assuming "OMG Martin Scorsese is directing a Joker movie!"

As for an executive producer, the duties vary wildly from film to film. Sometimes it's just an honorary title, sometimes it's someone who's heavily involved in the creative side of things, sometimes it's someone who's responsible for logistics and execution ... there's no hard definition of the role.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Generally speaking, Producer means you're often on set, taking part in the creative side, etc. Executive Producer generally means you help finance it, connect other people to help finance it, and do some hiring of those who will actually make the movie. They run more of the "corporate" side of things.

Though, as Timby said, these are not hard rules. Any production can redefine as they see fit.

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Apollo posted:

Leto posted this on Snapchat on the weekend.

Are we going to get Gentleman Joker and N Word Joker movies in the same year?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

qwewq
Aug 16, 2017

Daddy Thanos posted:

N Word Joker

Pardon?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Nice Joker.

qwewq
Aug 16, 2017
Never nude Joker

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Davros1 posted:

Phoenix's Joker film isn't in the "DCEU" canon.

That's a real pity.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

i believe the phrase is "nhas sex with teenagers" Joker

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Gotham Joker

qwewq
Aug 16, 2017

Vintersorg posted:

Gotham Joker

Naugahyde Joker

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Vintersorg posted:

Gotham Joker

Is that still the redhead brother from Shameless? Or did he die for real on the show?

poo poo I know what show I'm catching back up on once classes are done

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

i only keep track of the show through spoilers, and they really made the whole thing needlessly complicated.

Also he looks like the vampire grandpa from Gremlins 2.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

i only keep track of the show through spoilers, and they really made the whole thing needlessly complicated.

Also he looks like the vampire grandpa from Gremlins 2.

You can't really wiki that show, it's more about as getting as comic ridiculous as you can possibly get as much as possible than anything; the convolution is part of the whole thing.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Bedshaped posted:

So... Jared Leto is still playing Joker for Birds of Prey and Suicide Squad 2 but also Phoenix is now playing Joker for a standalone film?

Multiple choice

Vintersorg posted:

Gotham Joker

I miss The Strain

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Darko posted:

You can't really wiki that show, it's more about as getting as comic ridiculous as you can possibly get as much as possible than anything; the convolution is part of the whole thing.
Guess I can skip it then.

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

qwewq posted:

Pardon?

The one who says the n word and all the mods chase him around

Edit: This one

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Not a movie, but when does the HBO adaptation of the Watchmen premier?

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Finally a Gamer Joker

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

All Jokers are gamers.

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Vintersorg posted:

Gotham Joker

30 year old boomer joker

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

The MSJ posted:

All Jokers are gamers.

Ancient has too many numbers in it. Jesus this meme sucks.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Not a movie, but when does the HBO adaptation of the Watchmen premier?

Seems like they haven't said poo poo about it aside from including the slightest bit of footage from it in their preview trailers.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Gatts posted:

Ancient has too many numbers in it.

:thejoke:

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Vintersorg posted:

Gotham Joker

I'm a big believer in the philosophy of "get weird with it," so I actually don't hate it. It's different, but still essentially recognizable.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Vintersorg posted:

Gotham Joker

So Gotham is in the Tim Burton Batman universe then?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's the closest thing to the Burton universe since.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NegtY4febI

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Vintersorg posted:

Gotham Joker

Thanks I hate it!

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I mean it’s the first time I’ve seen the Joker portrayed in a legitimately unsettling way on film.

They ain’t selling that at Hot Topic.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Xpost

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 2, 2019

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich
I guess they're going for "what would it look like if someone actualyl fell in a vat of chemicals"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

He looks like a hosed up Uncle Fester in the first pic, it kinda rules

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

An executive producer is usually one of the two things - either they’re the primary money behind the thing (example: Steven Mnuchin was one of the primary financiers behind RatPac, Brett Ratner’s production/financing company, so for a solid couple of years under the WB/RatPac-Dune co-financing deal, he showed up as EP on every movie they put out), they were a major, but not direct, influence on the movie getting made creatively or business-wise (usually when you see an actor’s name show up, particularly when they’re a star - or like Nolan on Man of Steel). Scorsese would be more on the latter side of this, even though it was probably just him saying “yeah, sure, good idea” to “we wanna make a Joker movie like Taxi Driver or King of Comedy, you willing to sit down with Todd for a couple of hours and talk about them? We’ll give you several hundred thousand dollars if you’ll do it and we’ll give you a credit on the movie”.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

RatHat posted:

So Gotham is in the Tim Burton Batman universe then?

It purposely takes things from each cinematic universe and the comics and mashes them together. In one minute its Burton, then its Nolan then its Adam West then quoting Morrison.

The showrunner is the one behind Rome; its all purposeful too.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

RBA Starblade posted:

He looks like a hosed up Uncle Fester in the first pic, it kinda rules

Yeah, he looks like some kind of ghoul. I am pleasantly surprised by them going with a scarier Joker look that isn't just lazy creepy clown makeup.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The MSJ posted:

All Jokers are gamers.

If this list is talking about multiplayer, ancient would be Doom, Quake, and Unreal.

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

I said come in! posted:

If this list is talking about multiplayer, ancient would be Doom, Quake, and Unreal.

Again, that is the joke

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Cesar Romero as the Ur-Gamer who is literally insane because he puts his make up on over his moustache.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Flying Zamboni posted:

Yeah, he looks like some kind of ghoul. I am pleasantly surprised by them going with a scarier Joker look that isn't just lazy creepy clown makeup.

The show has done crazy guy is joker, scarred face joker, joker having his face cut off, super intelligent guy in makeup joker, and now acid bath joker.