Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Krispy Wafer posted:

And soda isn’t doing much better. Sales are down 20+% in the last decade or so.
I pretty much never drank water from middle school through the first year of college and now I avoid soda as much as possible given my poor impulse control.

I imagine anyone that has kids is going through the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I will single handedly keep Coca Cola afloat, no worries everyone.

Honestly Mexico is doing most of the work for you

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

Dont know why theyd be so worried, they already own a shitload of craft brews.

The big beer brands may own a bunch of craft brews, but their profits are in mass produced lagers. It's a lot easier to make a smooth crisp lager and market it to 100 million people than develop another loving IPA with hints of dingleberries and a chocolate aftertaste that only hipsters in Scottsdale want.

I personally prefer the mass produced lager. I can't get it in the United States, but Canada has high alcohol PBR and that's pretty good.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

why not just drink malt liquor and save yourself the time and money

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Sometimes I wish we could just buy lab grade ethanol.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
There's always popov but I'd never allow that in a lab

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Krispy Wafer posted:

The big beer brands may own a bunch of craft brews, but their profits are in mass produced lagers. It's a lot easier to make a smooth crisp lager and market it to 100 million people than develop another loving IPA with hints of dingleberries and a chocolate aftertaste that only hipsters in Scottsdale want.

I personally prefer the mass produced lager. I can't get it in the United States, but Canada has high alcohol PBR and that's pretty good.

One of the problems is the race to the bottom that very mass produced stuff ends up being in. The various lites as well as Coors, Busch, and what have you just have a crappy reputation overall. I've heard them called "volume beers" as they're the kind of thing you drink when you don't want a good beer you want to talk about how you drank 37 cans last weekend. They keep looking for ways to rely on heavy advertising and market dominance to let them keep control but they're ultimately failing. Really this is happening in a lot of American industries; the big players are being ravaged by a bunch of shitheads with MBAs trying to maximize profits by ultimately spiking the quality of the product into the mud while simultaneously advertising it as the best thing you could possibly get. Craft brews were an expensive curiosity but microbreweries and independent brewers started getting attention when the quality of mainstream beers really started to spiral downward. Meanwhile people just wanted to try something different, I think; another snag with American companies condensing into fewer and fewer companies all owned by the same holding company is that the variety went away. Since the only meaningful competition the mainstream brewing companies had was, you know, the two other major companies there just wasn't much push to actually make a good product of multiple varieties. Just crank this poo poo out as cheaply as possible. Of course another thing is that you had people trying things that weren't just regular mainstream beers and going "OK, I like this a lot more" and never went back.

Of course another problem is that it turns out that soda is horrid for you so people are drinking less of it. It gets even worse when you make it with HFCS. Beer also helps you pack on the pounds so there are people responding to the obesity epidemic by drinking less beer.

Stuff like SoBe is interesting because it was an independent company that created a drink that skyrocketed in popularity. It seemed like it came out of nowhere all of the sudden and just kept getting more popular. They weren't afraid to spam 20 different varieties or try crazy flavors. I don't think I ever had one that was actually bad. The big companies don't like competition so of course Pepsi had to buy them and turn them into another generic, cheaply mass produced bottle of garbage.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 05:25 on Apr 2, 2019

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
There's always the Jones Soda approach. First you get really popular with twee college kids. Next, you get a bunch of press for selling weird novelty sodas that taste like Thanksgiving dinner or sweaty football players. Then you use that goodwill to take on Coke and Pepsi by vastly overpaying to become the exclusive soda vendor of an NFL team. It turns out football fans get really upset when they ask for a Coke or Pepsi and are handed a "Cane Sugar Cola" instead.

Jones is still in business somehow but I bet you haven't thought about them in a long time.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

lavaca posted:

There's always the Jones Soda approach. First you get really popular with twee college kids. Next, you get a bunch of press for selling weird novelty sodas that taste like Thanksgiving dinner or sweaty football players. Then you use that goodwill to take on Coke and Pepsi by vastly overpaying to become the exclusive soda vendor of an NFL team. It turns out football fans get really upset when they ask for a Coke or Pepsi and are handed a "Cane Sugar Cola" instead.

Jones is still in business somehow but I bet you haven't thought about them in a long time.

Too true, but I did love their Cream Soda. Tasted like cotton candy. Haven't had one or seen one in 10+ years?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Krispy Wafer posted:

Why did IPAs become the big "craft beer?"

I remember a decade ago, hoppier beers were pretty rare, and I kinda liked them, but now every brewery has at least 5 IPA variants. They're not even good, it's just taking the hops knob and turning it up to 11 every drat time.

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009
Same reason that sours are now - its “new” and popular so let’s run that poo poo into the ground.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I will single handedly keep Coca Cola afloat, no worries everyone.

Same. Coke Zero is BAE

Also hot take: IPA's are fuckin nasty. I take up residence in Lager land.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Maybe the same reason IPA s we're supposedly popular to begin with, they ship easy with little effort and are shelf stable? Just guessing here.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

I remember a decade ago, hoppier beers were pretty rare, and I kinda liked them, but now every brewery has at least 5 IPA variants. They're not even good, it's just taking the hops knob and turning it up to 11 every drat time.

I know very little about beer brewing so someone with more knowledge will undoubtedly refute me, but I think IPA’s are more forgiving to make in a smaller scale and offer more creative opportunities to differentiate themselves. Lagers and pilsners are more difficult to prefect, so when the big breweries figured it out they stuck to those recipes. There’s nothing wrong with big beer brands if what you’re looking for is a consistently good tasting beer. Except for light beers, which are awful and whatever chemistry they used to create Michelob Ultra.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
For someone who doesn't like beer I would recommend trying a brown ale fresh from the tap. I find they have the most immediately pleasant flavor of any beer style, sort of like a way less sweet root beer or cream soda. (Incidentally, "cream ale" is nothing like cream soda at all.) And some breweries are inconsistent about bottling/canning or the retailer didn't store them properly or something. On tap is the best way to find out for sure if you like it.

And if you don't then it's fine. One less thing to buy. Although, maybe try mead? Or a good hard cider. Lots of choices in this area lately.

Iron Crowned posted:

I've heard something about them being more forgiving to brew, but I'm no expert. I do think they've gotten better lately, or maybe my tastes are just changing. I think the bitterness arms race is finally over.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Beachcomber posted:

Sometimes I wish we could just buy lab grade ethanol.

You can in Quebec

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

I know very little about beer brewing so someone with more knowledge will undoubtedly refute me, but I think IPA’s are more forgiving to make in a smaller scale and offer more creative opportunities to differentiate themselves. Lagers and pilsners are more difficult to prefect, so when the big breweries figured it out they stuck to those recipes. There’s nothing wrong with big beer brands if what you’re looking for is a consistently good tasting beer. Except for light beers, which are awful and whatever chemistry they used to create Michelob Ultra.

This is partially correct, a properly brewed lager should have one or two very light, specific flavors, so any flaws are extremely noticeable.

However, big brands brew dogshit lagers made with adjuncts (in many cases, corn) which are cheaper than traditional malts.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

lavaca posted:

I love Jones sodas, and you can still get it around Indianapolis quite easily. Many of the local delis have it in the fridge. Some restaurants still have it. Kroger still sells it, but lol if you go to Kroger for any reason. You can order direct from their website as well if you feel like buying 12-packs for $36 is something you should be doing with your money.

Also I just looked at their site to confirm this was still going on and now they have a limited edition pineapple cream soda that I'm gonna have to hunt down.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Publix still carries Jones in the 4-packs

Fufu Berry and their Green Apple sodas are loving great

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Iron Crowned posted:

because IPAs are delicious gently caress you

also sours are amazing as long as they're proper sours made with lactobacillus and not "here's a loving hefeweizen that had a bag of sour patch kids dropped in the wort"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Yawgmoth posted:

because IPAs are delicious gently caress you

also sours are amazing as long as they're proper sours made with lactobacillus and not "here's a loving hefeweizen that had a bag of sour patch kids dropped in the wort"

I've got nothing against IPAs as an idea, but the fact that 90% of craft brews have become IPAs over the last 5 years is very aggravating.

Sours really aren't my thing, but they're nowhere near the saturation of IPAs, so I can safely ignore them for now.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Yawgmoth posted:

"here's a loving hefeweizen that had a bag of sour patch kids dropped in the wort"

This sounds pretty good.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I recently came around on IPAs after years of hating them. The turning point for me was to start drinking at a local brewery where they get a really good variety instead of having to buy a 6 pack only to find out I don't like it. Motorworks' Pulp Friction Grapefruit IPA is loving delicious

Also give me every sour, especially a good gose. Goses are incredible.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I like a good barley wine but there's exactly one place where I can get them year round and that's 1500 miles away.

Sour beers are okay, but if I want to make a face every time I drink something I'll just drink whiskey.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
IPAs and other super hoppy beers always taste soapy to me.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I like beer.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Settle down, your honor.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
SILVER BULLETT!!!

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs
I know Boeing isn't "circling the drain" but does anyone have insight as to what's going to happen to the company following the 737 max issues?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

celewign posted:

I know Boeing isn't "circling the drain" but does anyone have insight as to what's going to happen to the company following the 737 max issues?

I'm sure they'll bounce back.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

AFewBricksShy posted:

Settle down, your honor.

:laffo:

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
IPAs are incredibly easy to make and hard to gently caress up, and even if you do gently caress it up you can pretend it was supposed to taste like that in your marketing.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Beachcomber posted:

I'm sure they'll bounce back.

No, the problem is that they don’t bounce very well at all.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Ariong posted:

No, the problem is that they don’t bounce very well at all.

Either way the lawyers are going to have a ball.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

there wolf posted:

Beach/boat drinking. It needs to be watery as gently caress.

best beach/boat beer is tecate

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Beachcomber posted:

Either way the lawyers are going to have a ball.

I'm sure the company will glide through this one with no problem.

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009
Late to Soda pop chat but there's a place in Los Angeles that specializes soft drinks. An amazing brick and mortar store if you are local. https://sodapopstop.com/

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

celewign posted:

Everything I've seen says the planes are fine, the problem is Boeing told airlines they didn't need extra training for the new 737 models (because training is expensive). US Airlines apparently have 100+ more pages in their manuals that they went out of their way to include that go over what to do when the 737 says it's stalling when it really isn't. I don't know how true that is, got it from a friend whose brother is a flight attendant so really it's probably bullshit.

Also the 737 Max 8 is supposed to be a really good plane so most airlines will probably keep their pre-orders.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
That’s pretty much what a 60 Minutes expose said right before the grounding issue started. The smaller international airlines either weren’t told about the anti-stalling software or didn’t pass it along to their pilots.

Vvvv Boeing made the software that lets you toggle the vertical inversion settings an upgrade.

Macdeo Lurjtux has a new favorite as of 20:50 on Apr 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

That’s pretty much what a 60 Minutes expose said right before the grounding issue started. The smaller international airlines either weren’t told about the anti-stalling software or didn’t pass it along to their pilots.

Buy the DLC so your plane doesn't crash?