Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

merk posted:

This is odd. How are you sure it's not true of my meta? I can't recall doing it (it seems more like a Lumpen thing to do). However, calling it 'lazy' sI think is a stretch. You aren't thinking about the intent behind what Opo is doing and taking into context that we are so early in d1.

Moreover, I'm not even sure whether you're calling Opo or Fisk scum here. You're just kind of half lashing out at them while defending me without actually telling me what you think about alignment.

##vote Amoeba

:agreed:

Toalpaz posted:

I think Merk took an internet statement and made a fairly accurate read of it. I think people who say I am scum claiming are using bad reasoning, and I think people voting Merk for not voting on a 'scum claim' are also using bad reasoning to come to that conclusion. Maybe fisk is the worst for just commenting 'I buy that', but I think that GK also read that very unfavourably and seems unconcerned with actually finding scum and more concerned with finding out who's lunch today.

hmmmmm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

merk posted:

Amoeba, why did you spend so much time in a post saying I’m not good at mafia? How is that relevant at all other than to discredit my vote onto you?

that long post about your meta read like a bond villain when he has bond strapped to a table

Toalpaz posted:

yeah what is db doing this game ##vote db

whyd you abandon your vote on me so quick? especially since db didnt post one time in between your votes?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Beek what’s your opinion of the halfhearted mob on me

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Beek what’s your opinion of the halfhearted mob on me

You feeling mobbed with zero votes cast on you all game is a bad sign fisk

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Jon Joe keeps talking up "if fool is scum, so is Fisk"

But the dangerous part of their idea is that "if fool is town, infinitum is scum." That's where the "most obvious interpretation" takes us tomorrow.

Calling JJ / fisk scumteam rn quote me if I'm right

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I obviously don’t agree but I can see why you would believe that. I was actually wondering how long it would take for someone to go in on how bad it is if both fool and infi are town. Which, there’s no reason to believe they are imo but it’s definitely really bad if they are! Just, I don’t believe that potential downside is anything next to how blindly obvious it is we have at least one scum between them? Also I’m obviously willing to consider new information that would make me doubt this connection, just I don’t see what that information would or could be at present moment, and this connection between them is the closest thing we have to a solid choice, given that it’s day 1

Thanks for coming to my ted talk

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
a gentle reminder that we're using anti-lurker rules, 10 posts a day or you're on notice, then freely dunkable if you don't make 10 posts again after that. almost everyone is good now though.

Votecount for Day 1

Amoeba102 (2): merk, George Kansas
Infinitum (2): merk, merk, SolusLunes, Toalpaz
merk (2): A Sometimes Food, Retro Futurist, Jonathan Fisk, Jonathan Fisk
Toalpaz (2): George Kansas, Infinitum, Jonathan Fisk, George Kansas
fool_of_sound (1): Jonathan Fisk, Jon Joe, Jonathan Fisk
Lynch No One! (1): fool_of_sound
Dick Bastardly (0): merk, SolusLunes, merk, Toalpaz, SolusLunes, Toalpaz
SolusLunes (0): Infinitum, Infinitum, Jon Joe, Jon Joe
George Kansas (0): Infinitum, Toalpaz, Infinitum, Toalpaz

Not Voting (5): Amoeba102, Anomalous Amalgam, Dick Bastardly, Hal Incandenza, kaschei

With 15 alive, it's 8 votes to execute. The current deadline is April 02nd, 2019 at 10:10 p.m. CDT -- that's in about 1 day.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

kaschei posted:

You feeling mobbed with zero votes cast on you all game is a bad sign fisk

The last 1.5 pages have been about me

I’m not the type who needs pretty things to prove affections, it’s evident enough in words

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

fool_of_sound posted:

So while I was at the gym I had a thought on the mystery of the missing jewelery:

it seems strange that the inventor would be asked to distribute items with unknown effect to people he hasn't had a chance to interact with yet. At that point the items might as well just be distributed randomly. From the effects of the items we know, they don't seem particularly subtle, so the inventors presumed ability to notice their use is a very minor advantage at best.

I'm don't really have a good theory of what this suggests. Just maybe something to consider.

Maybe I'm insane, but I thought infi claimed to have chosen the players that would receive an item?

Also iirc, toalpaz and kaschei both corroborated infi's claim more or less with you as the sole exception.

Something isn't right about this whole deal but I cant make heads or tails of it.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Dick Bastardly posted:

Maybe I'm insane, but I thought infi claimed to have chosen the players that would receive an item?

Also iirc, toalpaz and kaschei both corroborated infi's claim more or less with you as the sole exception.

Something isn't right about this whole deal but I cant make heads or tails of it.

No I mean he chose them, but he says he doesn't know what the items do and distributed them blind on night 0. Which seems like a weird thing for a role to do to me but I'm not familiar with all seventeen thousand roles people have come up with.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

fool, pick two and tell me wht you think of them?

toalpaz
me
jon joe
george kansas
kaschei

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

fool_of_sound posted:

No I mean he chose them, but he says he doesn't know what the items do and distributed them blind on night 0. Which seems like a weird thing for a role to do to me but I'm not familiar with all seventeen thousand roles people have come up with.

Wow I totally misread your post, welp time for bed

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Jonathan Fisk posted:

fool, pick two and tell me wht you think of them?

toalpaz
me
jon joe
george kansas
kaschei

i mean i don't have much of a read on anyone yet, but i might as well do you one better.

i think you and toalpaz's thoughts and arguments have kinda been jumping around wildly over the course of the day, but part of that might just be the meta chat going over my head

i don't appreciate being the target of jon joe's suspicion when infinitum specifically called me out before and after his big claim, and hasn't been heard from since.

i also think that kaschei is going a little aggro you and jon joe, but I appreciate being defended

i have basically no read on george kansas. he seems to be pursuing a different train of thought that the other people you're asking about.

anyway I'm going to sleep shortly

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
i dont actually suspect anyone at this point except maybe infinitum :shrug:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Dick Bastardly posted:

I was asked to distribute the items N0.

So as to not be modkilled for quoting directly from my role PM, the phrasing is similar to "Please distribute these 3 items to players of your choosing. They will be randomly distributed amongst them"

fool_of_sound coming out and going "I didn't receive anything", then the other 2 confirming they did is suss as fuuuuuuuuuuuuck. The chances of someone interfering with a N0 gifting action has gotta be super low.
I'm betting it's a boon to the scum team, and he's faking he didn't receive it.

##vote fool_of_sound

I've got some yard work to do for a few hours, then will be back to have a proper reread and catch up.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Infinitum posted:

fool_of_sound coming out and going "I didn't receive anything", then the other 2 confirming they did is suss as fuuuuuuuuuuuuck. The chances of someone interfering with a N0 gifting action has gotta be super low.
I'm betting it's a boon to the scum team, and he's faking he didn't receive it.

sure is weird and amazing that the only person you called out repeatedly would respond quickly to your claim

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

fool_of_sound posted:

sure is weird and amazing that the only person you called out repeatedly would respond quickly to your claim

That's not what he's saying.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Amoeba102 posted:

That's not what he's saying.

there's a pretty clear implication that because I both posted first and am the odd man out that the other two confirming caught me in a lie. in fact i posted first because i was asked to repeatedly, and am the odd man out because i dont think he actually sent me anything

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Infi I would like to hear the thought process that went through your head when you picked those three people specifically, thanks

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

fool_of_sound posted:

I never did this, and you're manipulating what I said.
1.) "I would like to hear from fool_of_sound"
2.) "This is why I wanted to hear from fool_of_sound" (After I revealed that I had given out items)

Asking quotes/requesting players participate =/= calling someone out

Saying "Stop manipulating what I'm saying in an attempt to gaslight the information I've presented" is me calling you out.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
You asked me to post at 3 am local time, and I didn't post a ton last night partially because I was on probation for most of it and partially because I didn't have anything to add

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Legit off the air for a few hours now

Jon Joe posted:

Infi I would like to hear the thought process that went through your head when you picked those three people specifically, thanks

5th, 10th, and 15th players in the list. Even distribution because I had 0 info to go off of.

I moved from Jonathan Fisk at 10, to kaschei at 11 as I was worried about Fisk not participating. (As from memory I had played in games with him where he had bounced early [Sorry Fisk])

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Jonathan Fisk posted:

The last 1.5 pages have been about me

I’m not the type who needs pretty things to prove affections, it’s evident enough in words
Whether it's real or not, it's a bad sign!

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I'll make it up to Fisk if neither of us are lynched today, scout's honor

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Infinitum posted:

Legit off the air for a few hours now

5th, 10th, and 15th players in the list. Even distribution because I had 0 info to go off of.

I moved from Jonathan Fisk at 10, to kaschei at 11 as I was worried about Fisk not participating. (As from memory I had played in games with him where he had bounced early [Sorry Fisk])

:psyduck:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I’m going to sleep but that sounds like such after-the-fact horseshit

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Anyway I'm seriously going to sleep now and will not be posting for the next probs 10 hours

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

A lynch on toalpaz checks the validity of the item claim, truth checks toalpaz, and takes out the pardon item if it exists

It also adds some clarity to the consternation

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

fool_of_sound posted:

there's a pretty clear implication that because I both posted first and am the odd man out that the other two confirming caught me in a lie. in fact i posted first because i was asked to repeatedly, and am the odd man out because i dont think he actually sent me anything

Odd man out is the reason i gather.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Gonna make a big post and tl;dr it at the end. Heading to bed soon.

A Sometimes Food posted:

Why do you believe Toal is scum Infi? Their jokephase scumclaim? Or getting defensive afterwards? Like I feel that's just Toal and not really a helpful read either way yet.

I believe anyone that comes out in their SECOND POST saying "if I were scum and threw one of my team mates under the bus" followed by "I'm lacking confidence in my game play" is not to be trusted.

Like I really, really, really do not like it.
He is firmly in my 'heavily scum leaning' pile

Retro Futurist posted:

:psyduck: What are you people doing

Was very little movement in the game, and now we have some actual info on the field D1 that can be actioned if necessary. This information was better revealed earlier rather than later, as it's too towns benefit to know that there's a handful of useful items on the field, and I've been reading a few games recently that are DOA from D2 onwards so would rather promote conversation.

Jonathan Fisk posted:

The claim’s fine. This reads like scrambling in response

I agree with this.

Jon Joe posted:

If you’re VT as you claim, why would you care who has creepy teeth? The mod explicitly said that flavor would not reveal alignment.

Also agree with JJ that mentioning the teeth in the same sentence as claiming VT is an odd combination.

Toalpaz posted:

Yeah alright that basically checks out.

##vote infin

This is my new mafia strategy called de-escalation.

I'm not grokking your logic on why you'd even vote me at this point, and I'd enjoy an explanation other than "I think inf is scum"
Like even from a WIFOM perspective, it'd be nice to have some semblance of a case to which I could respond.

Jon Joe posted:

? It seems pretty clear to me that at least one of them is scum because I’m not entertaining night 0 bus drivers, as I explained in my post where I voted fool.

May I ask for your reasoning on this? Like if you don't think that I was redirected how am I under suspicion, in your mind? And why should the options be limited to only the two of us?

Jon Joe posted:

Comedy option: infi and all the people he claims to have given an item to are scum

I'll legit laugh my head off if this happens.

George Kansas posted:

this is a scum post ##vote amoeba

Don't like this post, because it continues a meta discussion without providing any reasoning for the vote.
One line posts are hot garbage, and allow scum to coast through the game.

Explain your reasoning please.

kaschei posted:

Jon Joe keeps talking up "if fool is scum, so is Fisk"

But the dangerous part of their idea is that "if fool is town, infinitum is scum." That's where the "most obvious interpretation" takes us tomorrow.

Calling JJ / fisk scumteam rn quote me if I'm right

Leaving out the 'quote me if right', I agree that it is dangerous to have an 'If X, then Y' scenario about alignments and narrowing the discussion to 'only' 2 players only benefits scum.

Oh come on dude, this strikes me as a fake kneejerk reaction. If you have a BETTER way to distribute items on N0 with ZERO information, then please illuminate the rest of us.
3 items. Split the player list in 3. Done.

Jonathan Fisk posted:

A lynch on toalpaz checks the validity of the item claim, truth checks toalpaz, and takes out the pardon item if it exists

May I ask why you prefer toalpaz over fool in a 'validity checking' scenario? Why not kaschei?

From my perspective fool is lying about not receiving the item, whereas toalpaz and kaschei confirmed they had received the items I sent them
I'm partial to toalpaz for other reasons, but would prefer not to put words into your mouth.

-------------------------
General musings from catchup

Reading the merk/fisk/amoeba interactions about meta play. Don't really have a comment on it.

I'm currently leaning firm town on fisk atm. I like their play and reasoning.
I'm currently neutral leaning scum on Jon Joe.
Read 'currently'

No other readings on anyone else atm

-----------------------------------------------

Here's the tl;dr on fool_of_sound

fool_of_sound posted:

Anyway if you did send me a ring or whatever I haven't gotten it yet afaict. It seems wierd you would call a bunch of people out though!

fool_of_sound posted:

Also assuming I get a piece of magic jewelery item I dunno I'll try to do something useful with it but I'm not a mafia expert and am vanilla town anyway.

fool_of_sound posted:

i cant help i just freak out a little when i wake up to someone specifically calling me out twice for not posting enough and pushing a claim on me!

These series of posts from fool_of_sound, edited for brevity, doesn't strike me as town play so much as scrambling and blustering to answer questions.
- As mentioned earlier, I never called him out, and was asking for participation (Yes I realise timezones exist)
- I didn't push a claim on anyone, I provided information that could be obfuscated in later game days
- fos openly claims vanilla immediately with no prodding.

fool_of_sound posted:

if you got yours mine is probs some hidden or passive effect or something.

This is the stand out post for me.

I clarified with Somberbrero what information was provided to the recipients once I handed the items out, as I was curious if I was named in the communication.
Again not quoting mod communication, but they were provided a short bit of flavour text of them coming across the item in their bag/pocket/etc, a description of the item, the fact they had received and item, and an explanation of the items power.

I also confirmed that everyone had received a PM about it.
Even IF the item is a passive only effect, he would have definitely received a PM either way.

To me only a handful of scenarios exist
A.) fos has received the item, and is lying about it.
B.) My N0 action was redirected/blocked

Occam's razor being what it is, I put it to you that the simplest explanation is:
- The chances of a N0 action being tampered with are extremely low.
- fool_of_sound is lying about not receiving it
- the ability is obviously of some benefit to the scum team
- his post was followed by toalpaz + kaschei confirming they received their items shows, verifies that I handed items out

Would also like to state for the record that I did not realise it was fool_of_sound's first game, and I have a policy of not getting newbies lynched first day unless they are being blatantly scummy.
Legit straight up not trying to tunnel you here mate, as I try to avoid doing that these days, but there's information on the board that does not add up and I believe you're lying.

##vote fool_of_sound
(I know I'm already voting him, this is just to reemphasise the point)

Like..I'm gonna give you an out here, cause I feel legit bad about this.. fool_of_sound you've potentially made a rookie mistake of denying something that you should have verified, and are now in a situation where if you told the truth you'd look like you were hiding something.
If you really did receive the Ring, you'd be better off coming clean about it at this point as it clears the air and opens the discussion to other possibilities.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

tl;dr
- Don't like Toal's post 'claiming' scum, then claiming a lack of confidence
- fool_of_sound is likely lying about not receiving his item.
- Other ramblings/reads can be found above.

zzz time for me. Should be around for deadline, but I'll be at work.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Votecount for Day 1

fool_of_sound (2): Jonathan Fisk, Jon Joe, Jonathan Fisk, Infinitum, Infinitum, Infinitum
Amoeba102 (2): merk, George Kansas
Infinitum (2): merk, merk, SolusLunes, Toalpaz
merk (2): A Sometimes Food, Retro Futurist, Jonathan Fisk, Jonathan Fisk
Lynch No One! (1): fool_of_sound
Toalpaz (1): George Kansas, Infinitum, Jonathan Fisk, George Kansas, Infinitum
Dick Bastardly (0): merk, SolusLunes, merk, Toalpaz, SolusLunes, Toalpaz
SolusLunes (0): Infinitum, Infinitum, Jon Joe, Jon Joe
George Kansas (0): Infinitum, Toalpaz, Infinitum, Toalpaz

Not Voting (5): Amoeba102, Anomalous Amalgam, Dick Bastardly, Hal Incandenza, kaschei

With 15 alive, it's 8 votes to execute. The current deadline is April 02nd, 2019 at 10:10 p.m. CDT -- that's in about 14 hours, 1 minute.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
To those voting fool:

fool_of_sound posted:

i dont actually suspect anyone at this point except maybe infinitum :shrug:

Is this something a scum player posts when all of the momentum in the game seems to be towards his lynch? I feel like scum would invent a case here to try to swing momentum elsewhere.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Jonathan Fisk posted:

I dont disagree but wouldn’t toal just pardon themselves?

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Jon Joe posted:

I’m going to sleep but that sounds like such after-the-fact horseshit

Does it? Seems a little over the top for faking.

Also unless you think inf, Toal and kaschei are all scum why would infi bother with making all this up?

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

For the first time since... ever... I agree with pretty much everything infi is saying

I even read the whole long post!

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Infinitum posted:

Legit off the air for a few hours

the implication that you might otherwise be "off the air" in a non-"legit" way is concerning me

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Dick Bastardly posted:

the implication that you might otherwise be "off the air" in a non-"legit" way is concerning me

lol come on

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Retro Futurist posted:

I dont disagree but wouldn’t toal just pardon themselves?

You mean like he said in the post you quoted? Come on RF get your head in the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Repeating my thought that being asked to distribute unknown and randomized items to people on night zero is a wierd role power. As described it's effectively non-interactive and gives minimal strategic information. The GM might as well have just distributed items at random himself he we wants to produce an uncertainty effect.

If he at least knew what the items were or specifically had the ability to detect their use or glean some other information when they're used then the role might make sense. It would have a real strategic use.

Even if he is telling the truth, he would have been able to glean more information from his items by not making a day 1 claim about them and simply watching the players in question. If everyone had confirmed we'd have basically nothing to go on. Instead, lying about who received the third item produces a lot of useful suspicion and chaos right out the gate.

So yeah I think infinitum is at minimum lying about one or more of 1) not knowing what the items do, 2) not knowing which item went to who, 3) being asked to distribute the items on night 0, and/or 4) having no further interaction with the items once distributed.