Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

God, there has been some really terrible covers - the one that really got me was AHS: Coven doing House of the Rising Sun, and had a woman who sounds like she's constantly on the verge of passing out from the lack of air sighing every drat word to 'make it sexy'. It just sounds terrible.

But my all time annoyance with trailers is the "Character A says something that could be construed as an innuendo if they finish the sentence/does something stupid" and cuts to "Character B gasping or wildly reacting in an obviously completely different scene." - that CGI Wizard of Oz movie had a pretty drat obvious example where A was in a daytime scene and B was in a nighttime one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I still think my #1 most hated trailer trope is
[Embarrassing scenario]
"Awkwaaaaaaard~!"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The people making trailers nowadays generally seem to make an effort to make the movie look as bad as possible, especially animated movies. And/or to spoil basically every major plot point possible.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Das Boo posted:

[Embarrassing scenario]
"Awkwaaaaaaard~!"

*dog covers face with paw*

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The people making trailers nowadays generally seem to make an effort to make the movie look as bad as possible, especially animated movies. And/or to spoil basically every major plot point possible.

The people hired to edit the trailer for Terminator Genisys were actually given the instruction to spoil the film’s biggest reveal (John Connor is evil and a robot) because the studio didn’t want viewers to have to think about the plot once they were in the cinema. They wanted them to go in knowing every plot beat already so they didn’t think too hard about the logic of the story.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Das Boo posted:

[Embarrassing scenario]
"Awkwaaaaaaard~!"

"i just threw up in my mouth a little"

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Hedrigall posted:

The people hired to edit the trailer for Terminator Genisys were actually given the instruction to spoil the film’s biggest reveal (John Connor is evil and a robot) because the studio didn’t want viewers to have to think about the plot once they were in the cinema. They wanted them to go in knowing every plot beat already so they didn’t think too hard about the logic of the story.

This seems like a really dumb idea. Although it is on brand for John Connor to be terrible, he always seems to suck in those movies no matter what version of him exists.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Why are you putting in spoilers something the studio didn’t care to spoiler

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Any time anyone talks about modern trailers spoiling things needs to go back and watch 60s and 70s trailers where the whole concept of a trailer seems to be a narrator walking you through the entire plot start to finish with every major scene presented in order. It feels like only really from like 1993-2003 was there a concept of "this is a music video that tells you nothing about what happens in the plot" dominated trailers

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

and it varies by country, Japan tends to reveal the whole plot in their trailers

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Das Boo posted:

[Embarrassing scenario]
"Awkwaaaaaaard~!"
who cut the frog cheese?

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Das Boo posted:

[Embarrassing scenario]
"Awkwaaaaaaard~!"

*offscreen*

“I’m okay!”

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Robindaybird posted:

and it varies by country, Japan tends to reveal the whole plot in their trailers

They also do that in, say, anime episode titles. The recap will play and resume the tension of the previous episode's cliffhanger, and then it'll jump into a title card that says poo poo like "HEROIC TRAGEDY!! THE DEATH OF TSUNEDA"

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Robindaybird posted:

Yeah, it feels like a very recent, very local trend that lots of people feel strongly that the only way to enjoy media is to be perfectly blind and know nothing about it before watching. While trailers seem like book cover summaries, where they tell you a general outline of the story to get you to watch it.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

so how did that work for movies like Empire Strikes Back? I thought that was the movie always heralded as no one knowing that one huge thing until after seeing the movie. The trailers just didn't include that one specific part?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Listening to Jeff Bridges explain the Ryan Reynolds the concept of the RIPD and also why one of them looks like James Hong and the other a hot lady while Macklemore blares at you every commercial break was fun.

Conversely, Avengers: Endgame is less than a month away and everything in those trailers seems to be from the first 20 or so minutes.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Dr Christmas posted:

Conversely, Avengers: Endgame is less than a month away and everything in those trailers seems to be from the first 20 or so minutes.

This is exactly what the Russo brothers said would be for Endgame. The trailers don't show anything past the first 30 minutes. Out of a 3 hour movie.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Aces High posted:

so how did that work for movies like Empire Strikes Back? I thought that was the movie always heralded as no one knowing that one huge thing until after seeing the movie. The trailers just didn't include that one specific part?

It's not like trailers were always spoiling everything. Take this one from The Exorcist (epilepsy warning) which tells you precisely nothing about the plot. And that was 1973.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ALFbrot posted:

They also do that in, say, anime episode titles. The recap will play and resume the tension of the previous episode's cliffhanger, and then it'll jump into a title card that says poo poo like "HEROIC TRAGEDY!! THE DEATH OF TSUNEDA"
There's an episode of legend of the galactic heroes, one of my favorite pieces of hard scifi ever, that straight up tells you who's going to die in the "next time on" end of episode bit like four episodes before it actually happens. It's the most baffling thing.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ALFbrot posted:

Japan also likes to gently caress with people in episode titles. Mazinger Z has an episode called "Kouji Kabuto Dies In Lava," in which Kouji Kabuto does not die in lava.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

There's an episode of legend of the galactic heroes, one of my favorite pieces of hard scifi ever, that straight up tells you who's going to die in the "next time on" end of episode bit like four episodes before it actually happens. It's the most baffling thing.

I love LotGH. I've been watching the remake with my girlfriend, who never saw the original. I explicitly told her not to look into any of it because she might run into spoilers. Well, she was telling her friend about the show, went and googled her favorite character's name and found out he died. :negative:

Kircheis...

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Samuel Clemens posted:

It's not like trailers were always spoiling everything. Take this one from The Exorcist (epilepsy warning) which tells you precisely nothing about the plot. And that was 1973.

Likewise, the teaser for The Shining was just the shot of blood pouring from the elevator with text on top of it. (Which Kubrick supposedly got approved for general release by claiming the blood was rusty water.)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

ALFbrot posted:

Next time, on DRAGON! BALL! Z!

Between the episodes being so padded and summarising both the previous and next episodes, you basically could keep up with the plot only watching every third or fourth episode. Which was probably the point.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Between the episodes being so padded and summarising both the previous and next episodes, you basically could keep up with the plot only watching every third or fourth episode. Which was probably the point.

As someone who only caught maybe three out of five episodes because it came on almost immediately after school, it probably improved the experience.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Detective No. 27 posted:

I love LotGH. I've been watching the remake with my girlfriend, who never saw the original. I explicitly told her not to look into any of it because she might run into spoilers. Well, she was telling her friend about the show, went and googled her favorite character's name and found out he died. :negative:

Kircheis...

I feel like LoGH isn't really hurt by knowing who dies, just because the answer to that question is "the vast majority of the cast"

Specifics on how, when, and why, though, yeah, that's not good

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The magician did not return :smith:

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

dirksteadfast posted:

*offscreen*

“I’m okay!”

This is my most hated one because it’s usually taken directly from the actual film rather than being a trailer cut. All it does is take away from the humor of slapstick for the sake of placating the ratings board.

One of my favorite trailer cuts is “...and fun! *character burps*” but I haven’t seen it in ages.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The Detective Pikachu trailers have been really bad for basically all the above complaints. Though it's not so bad when they spoil something big like freakin Mewtwo but not the context, so you have something to look forward to without knowing exactly how it's going to go.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Detective Pikachu trailers have been really bad for basically all the above complaints. Though it's not so bad when they spoil something big like freakin Mewtwo but not the context, so you have something to look forward to without knowing exactly how it's going to go.

can you even spoil something like a pokemon movie? Was there a point you didn't think major pokemon would be in it? Like is anyone wondering if maybe charizard might show up? Or bulbasaur, or any of the other fan favorite pokemon? Like if Escavalier ended up being a major character or something that would be a huge twist, but every single major pokemon a normal person could name is gonna be in this movie. It's not really a spoiler.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I can't believe one of the most popular Pokemon that has ever existed is gonna be in the big Hollywood Pokemon movie.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Macaluso posted:

I can't believe one of the most popular Pokemon that has ever existed is gonna be in the big Hollywood Pokemon movie.

Oh poo poo, they're gonna have Zangoose?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Oh poo poo, they're gonna have Zangoose?

The after credits scene is gonna be just a shot of a Zangoose horrifically tearing a Zeviper apart

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
also: pikachu is that kids dad, somehow. Just guessing, but like, it clearly is.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Well to be fair, the movie is based on a specific plot-driven game and apparently from all indications is following it pretty closely.

There's definitely a seeming Who Framed Roger Rabbit touch where the overall plot is just part of the attraction along with seeing lots of different Pokemon on the big screen, with at least one sight gag each.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The best thing about Detective Pikachu is it's entirely American made and there are people in Japan who have no loving clue it exists. Those who DO know it exists mostly think that all of the Pokemon are scary, Pikachu shouldn't be fuzzy, and it's kind of creepy to look at.

Basically, this feels like the Super Mario Bros. movie with an American studio trying to cash in on something they don't understand.

Also Ryan Reynolds will probably be the only character in the movie to make jokes...and they will probably all be awkward as most of them will be toilet-based as American children just love talking about poop and pee all the time.

Can't wait to see it. :v:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

ThermoPhysical posted:

Basically, this feels like the Super Mario Bros. movie with an American studio trying to cash in on something they don't understand.

Except, it feels the total opposite??? Like, aside from giving the Pokemon realistic textures, everything they've shown about the movie feels like a movie made by actual Pokemon fans. There looks like there's tons of fanservice, the Pokemon stick to their correct designs instead of being redesigned, the music choices they've made for the trailers, etc. I don't know how on earth you can look at Detective Pikachu and compare it to the Mario Bros movie

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

ThermoPhysical posted:

The best thing about Detective Pikachu is it's entirely American made and there are people in Japan who have no loving clue it exists. Those who DO know it exists mostly think that all of the Pokemon are scary, Pikachu shouldn't be fuzzy, and it's kind of creepy to look at.

Detective Pikachu is a Japanese thing from 2016 and it's basically exactly like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KonKZlqznIg

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Detective Pikachu is a Japanese thing from 2016 and it's basically exactly like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KonKZlqznIg

I meant the movie, not the game. Forgot about the game, honestly.

Macaluso posted:

Except, it feels the total opposite??? Like, aside from giving the Pokemon realistic textures, everything they've shown about the movie feels like a movie made by actual Pokemon fans. There looks like there's tons of fanservice, the Pokemon stick to their correct designs instead of being redesigned, the music choices they've made for the trailers, etc. I don't know how on earth you can look at Detective Pikachu and compare it to the Mario Bros movie

I mean I'm not the only one that thinks that it's going to be iffy at best. The fart jokes certainly don't help and a lot of people don't like the "live action but with CGI creatures" that keeps popping up a lot. Fanservice or not, I think more people I know DON'T have hope for the movie and probably will wait until Netflix or something picks it up rather than see it in theaters.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pokemon is a children's franchise with a long-running cartoon show for children, which often has slapstick and puns and cartoonish humour. Also I don't know where you get the idea that Japan considers poop and pee jokes to be a foreign thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

ThermoPhysical posted:

I mean I'm not the only one that thinks that it's going to be iffy at best. The fart jokes certainly don't help and a lot of people don't like the "live action but with CGI creatures" that keeps popping up a lot. Fanservice or not, I think more people I know DON'T have hope for the movie and probably will wait until Netflix or something picks it up rather than see it in theaters.

I'm gonna be honest, I don't even remember the fart jokes in trailers for the movie. Is it the part where he's trying to do his electric attack? Cause that's more than just a base farting joke. I don't really think that's a big deal. I also feel like, the "live action but with CGI" works in this case because unlike say Alvin and the Chipmunks or whatever, they didn't redesign the Pokemon. I'm a huge hater on Disney's current trend of redoing animated movies as live action stuff, but this movie looks like it's doing this kind of thing right.

Also it's obviously anecdotal but I haven't talked to a single persona I know IRL who isn't looking forward to the movie. Even the friend of mine who is super cynical about animated movies and hates all the computer animated stuff that comes out nowadays thinks Detective Pikachu looks great. Everyone I know is very excited to see it.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pokemon is a children's franchise with a long-running cartoon show for children, which often has slapstick and puns and cartoonish humour. Also I don't know where you get the idea that Japan considers poop and pee jokes to be a foreign thing.

Smash has an entire character literally built around fart jokes (Wario).