Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

What do you mean the fryer isn't hot at 10PM?

What do you mean nobody's available to cut steaks ten minutes before close ( I can actually do this but you can't cut *a* steak, you've got to cut like twenty ). And then I'd have to sanitize the cutting table again.

Not Customer Focused, no raise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Eric the Mauve posted:

Not Customer Focused, no raise

True story: the other day I found out from a manager that the store manager actually knows how to cut meat and grind hamburger, but she loving hates it and will straight up lie to customers rather than do it herself.

It actually raised my opinion of her.

Also my direct boss / head of meat department would be pissed if I opened a pack of steaks for such a stupid rear end request. It's nice having a realist at the top of your chain.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Yeah I found out too late that as soon as you know how to do something, people will always and only come to you to do it.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Rainbow Knight posted:

Yeah I found out too late that as soon as you know how to do something, people will always and only come to you to do it.

Or they'll just heap it onto the stuff that "Oh So-and-So knows, I don't need to hire someone to do that." when you're already working 50-60 hours/week at the kitchen. It's how I ended up basically working 3 jobs at once.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

On the plus side, the more you know, the less likely they are to gently caress with your employment situation. At least where I work.

Our district is probably the most horribly laid out in our division, at 10 miles N-S and 110 miles W -E. I'm pretty far west as far as locations go, and I live at the furthest west side, so If I get transferred it's highly likely that I'd have to go east past the worst traffic in Southern California and my commute goes from 15 minutes to an hour at least. They pay for mileage, but it's a whole $0.10 per mile, which wont even cover gas, much less wear and tear. Knowing how to do pretty much everything keeps me where I'm at.

Kickshaw
Sep 6, 2012
My problem child is being sent from my department to front end, because the other managers are finally sick of her poo poo. :dance:

In exchange, I'm getting front ends "problem child": a high school senior who reliably shows up for her shifts, goes through the proper channels to request days off, and is only a "problem child" in the sense that she reacts poorly to micromanaging and being dressed down in front of her peers.

I think I'm getting the better end of the bargain, and the rest of management is thrilled because my dept brat will probably quit when we tell her.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I had good success with shoes that are mostly designed for kitchen staff or health care workers. Basically a dress shoe with huge amounts of grip and a thick outside.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
My work shoes are split between a pair of Clarks Muckers (the zippered boot) and a pair of Doc Marten Industrials. Working at a Ross has spoiled me greatly for shoes.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
I closed with one other person tonight because my other closer called out for some dumb poo poo and my SM told her it was fine and he'd get so and so to close for her. Except he didn't.

Also my work shoes right now are Sketchers Bobs work shoes (Wobs, I guess) and they're alright. Soft insoles, non-slip, not too bulky. But then again I have feet that can take some punishment so YMMV

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Pentaghastly posted:

I closed with one other person tonight because my other closer called out for some dumb poo poo and my SM told her it was fine and he'd get so and so to close for her. Except he didn't.

Also my work shoes right now are Sketchers Bobs work shoes (Wobs, I guess) and they're alright. Soft insoles, non-slip, not too bulky. But then again I have feet that can take some punishment so YMMV

Your SM is eventually going to gently caress up good enough that the DM finally does fire him, and it's going to be great.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Ask the restaurant industry thread in GWS. Heck, they might even have a list of makes/models pinned in the OP.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Your SM is eventually going to gently caress up good enough that the DM finally does fire him, and it's going to be great.

Did I mention that he might be having an affair with a shift from another store? He left with her again today for over an hour letting my co-worker drown on a 3 man play again.

Three more weeks until my stocks vest.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Pentaghastly posted:

Did I mention that he might be having an affair with a shift from another store? He left with her again today for over an hour letting my co-worker drown on a 3 man play again.

Three more weeks until my stocks vest.

Good for you for waiting for the stocks to vest. Now go apply at a grocery store bank so you can wont as soon as they do! If you insist on giving a poo poo about your job at least get one where they reward that.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

The biggest downside of the past couple of weeks, outside of the incessant calls asking about PS4s that I don't have in stock, is one of the local schmucks from my old store followed me to my new store, and is complaining that I'm not taking in his Xbox 360 games (because his old white 360 is scratching the poo poo out of them, and tbqh I'm surprised it hasn't red-ringed on him at this point). To put it in perspective, I'd met the guy literally second day on the job 3½ years ago, and he'd gone on a rant for a half-hour completely unironically about "the gays". Seriously. :suicide:

Plus side, my other opener stepped up when my non-college closer got hella sick the other day, and got her some learning on how to close the store as well. I can totally dig the whole "taking initiative" thing, and while there were a couple of minor things that got forgotten (like wiping down the counters and putting the phone handset back on the charger), I'm sure once everyone's in the swing of things it's not going to be a problem. Gotta say, I loving love having a team of people where minor nitpicky poo poo like that is the worst I have to deal with, outside of getting coverage in case someone called out with explosive diarrhea or superAIDs or what the gently caress ever's going around.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I would like to re-iterate once again my hatred for Dayshift. Every single day our backlog grew because of them this week.

Sunday: Dayshift under-shipped by 10K on top of our usual 100-110K units.
Monday: "Congratulations, you got 6K of the backlog out but Dayshift fell behind again" and we have about 20K from them. Stowers from RSP (Robotic Storage Pen) are called over to help us.
Tuesday: 25K, RPS's own Dayshift screwed them so they can't laborshare over and instead I get laborshared to help them put fresh inventory into storage (which I don't mind, being laborshared is kinda cool to do something new for a few hours)
Wednesday: 30K. poo poo has gotten so dire that not only did we get RSP laborshare back but Back-Half Nights were offered VET (Voluntary Extra Time) if they want to come in and get some overtime pay.

Apparently something (i.e. someONE) on Days is screwing up and giving them a constant, level workload throughout the shift which simply doesn't work. You want it heavy at the start then lower as people leave. Instead it's being kept at a constant level, so the first half of the shift outbound Days ends up work starved, encouraging people to head home and then the second half they end up increasingly overwhelmed as they have less workers.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I would like to preface an apology to anyone working at Burger King, because the next weekend, at least here in AZ, is going to loving suck for you. Ads proclaiming Detective Pikachu toys are at BK are everywhere. And I was informed by my local BK manager, who amazingly always gives me extra goodies because I say please and thank you and don't leave a loving mess, that most BKs do not offer toys in the kids meals. So I am sorry in advance for this next weekend.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
A bigger question is why there is going to be a line of toys for what is most definitely not a kids movie. There are going to be lots of pissed off idiot parents storming out of cinemas when that movie comes out

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

The Lord Bude posted:

A bigger question is why there is going to be a line of toys for what is most definitely not a kids movie. There are going to be lots of pissed off idiot parents storming out of cinemas when that movie comes out

Parents actually attend movies with their kids?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

The Lord Bude posted:

Yeah I had to explain to my kids that this was a grown up Pokémon movie and not a kids Pokémon movie sorry.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Star Man posted:

Parents actually attend movies with their kids?

I would hope so; at least at the sort of ages I’m thinking of. What sort of parent would let a preteen go anywhere without adult supervision?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Well I mean if they're with a dozen other kids they couldn't get into too much trouble, some other adult will set em straight. And if they do actually need help at least one of those kids had got to be smart enough to go find an adult!

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
What uh what kind of toys are they offering?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

The Lord Bude posted:

I would hope so; at least at the sort of ages I’m thinking of. What sort of parent would let a preteen go anywhere without adult supervision?

Well....my parents did quite a bit

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Volmarias posted:

Yeah I had to explain to my kids that this was a grown up Pokémon movie and not a kids Pokémon movie sorry.

Hang on, tell me more about this. I don't know anything about the movie except that it has pikachu in it and my 4 year old loves pikachu.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Star Man posted:

Well....my parents did quite a bit

I'll make allowances for that subject to finding out what decade it was and whether it was some tiny country town. All in all though unless you live out in some tiny village where everyone knows one another there's no way in hell I'd let a kid go someplace on their own. Hell I'm 32 and the first time I ever went someplace on my own was at 16 when I went on my school's fencing trip to Parramatta and we had free reign to wander around to any of the nearby restaurants as we pleased to eat at nights. It was the first time I'd ever carried a wallet on me, or even keys.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Ghostnuke posted:

Hang on, tell me more about this. I don't know anything about the movie except that it has pikachu in it and my 4 year old loves pikachu.

It's like happytown murders but with Pokemon instead of muppets. Ryan Reynolds voices pikachu go watch the trailer.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

I don't know what happytown murders is, but the trailer I saw just had pikachu joking about his coffee induced farts. Is the movie supposed to be scary or something?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Ghostnuke posted:

I don't know what happytown murders is, but the trailer I saw just had pikachu joking about his coffee induced farts. Is the movie supposed to be scary or something?

So it's actually PG rated in the US; which is not what I initially thought at all. It's still going to be a movie that a 4 year old will probably find boring and hard to understand, but depending on your attitude towards swearing and crude/sexual humour it probably wouldn't be that bad.

To go back to the initial anecdote that started the tangent; I doubt there's a huge overlap between 'kids old enough to enjoy the movie' and 'kids young enough be getting the kids meal with a toy at a fast food place' but if your kid is old enough/mature enough to watch and enjoy a typical police procedural on tv then they'd probably like the movie. I used to love watching Murder She Wrote as a 5 year old, but I'm weird.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

The Lord Bude posted:

I used to love watching Murder She Wrote as a 5 year old, but I'm weird.

loving :same:

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

I'll make allowances for that subject to finding out what decade it was and whether it was some tiny country town. All in all though unless you live out in some tiny village where everyone knows one another there's no way in hell I'd let a kid go someplace on their own. Hell I'm 32 and the first time I ever went someplace on my own was at 16 when I went on my school's fencing trip to Parramatta and we had free reign to wander around to any of the nearby restaurants as we pleased to eat at nights. It was the first time I'd ever carried a wallet on me, or even keys.

My parents/friend's parents dropped us off at movies/restaurants/the mall all the time from the time I was like 11 and this was in like 2005 in a normal suburban town. I don't think it's that strange. Some of my friends had cell phones by then so we always had someone who could call if we needed help.

In retail relevant news, a customer peed on a chair yesterday. The customer who told me was shocked when I told her we threw it out.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

The Lord Bude posted:

So it's actually PG rated in the US; which is not what I initially thought at all. It's still going to be a movie that a 4 year old will probably find boring and hard to understand, but depending on your attitude towards swearing and crude/sexual humour it probably wouldn't be that bad.

To go back to the initial anecdote that started the tangent; I doubt there's a huge overlap between 'kids old enough to enjoy the movie' and 'kids young enough be getting the kids meal with a toy at a fast food place' but if your kid is old enough/mature enough to watch and enjoy a typical police procedural on tv then they'd probably like the movie. I used to love watching Murder She Wrote as a 5 year old, but I'm weird.

It's a film with a talking animal solving crimes. How is it not appropriate for young kids?

If it's the whole parent murder things, then I'll be sure to move it to the higher shelf full of 'Not for Kiddo' films like Harry Potter and Lion King.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Funktastic posted:

My parents/friend's parents dropped us off at movies/restaurants/the mall all the time from the time I was like 11 and this was in like 2005 in a normal suburban town. I don't think it's that strange. Some of my friends had cell phones by then so we always had someone who could call if we needed help.

In retail relevant news, a customer peed on a chair yesterday. The customer who told me was shocked when I told her we threw it out.

A lot of customers just don't get that human blood and waste are major health issues and your options are "call for and pay for the decontamination team" or "throw that poo poo out". This goes quadruple for food service. One of my friends used to work at the Chik-Fil-A in the Lubbock shopping mall's food court. They had something like 8 registers that would be fully manned during lunch rush and do 2/3 of the food court's business six days a week. One day he came over to play video games after someone apparently took a dump on one of their table and they had to shut down the seating area of the Chick-Fil-A and push everyone out into general seating until decontamination was done. His ranting at customers was legendary that night because no one seemed to understand "Someone's kid shat on the table. We have to clean it and the surrounding areas for health reasons."

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

I hate coffee creamer.

This might seem like an odd thing to hate, but it really isn't. There are a lot of perfectly justifiable, reasonable, wholly not certifiably insane reasons it curdles my blood. Most of them tie together in a neat little noose.

The first reason is that the coffee creamer is at the very end of the case line, putting it right next to the only staff-area entrance on that side of the store. I have to use that door. The alternative is circumnavigating the sales floor like a minimum wage Magellan, and I wouldn't do that even if I wasn't working perishable goods.

This matters because people take approximately five hours to inevitably decide they're going to buy the same coffee creamer they did last week. Seriously. Middle-aged white women put more thought into which coffee creamer they want than an astronaut does his EVA suit. They loiter, staring into the case like they're considering a modern art exhibit, hypnotized by multi-color bottles of ultra-sweet cow drippings that once resembled milk but now hardly resemble food.

You can only fit so much creamer on the shelf at any given time, and most of it comes in cases of four to six bottles. This means we're always running out, so in addition to having to thread your way past a gaggle of Panera Bread enthusiasts, odds are good you're going to be asked if there's more of whatever in the back at least three times a day.

Much like a saiyan, you can tell how difficult they're going to be by the height of their hair and how blonde they are.

Alkydere posted:

"Someone's kid shat on the table. We have to clean it and the surrounding areas for health reasons."

People at both ends of the equation don't understand a loving thing about food safety. I'd rather whoever was in charge err on the side of caution every time, even if it made my life difficult.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

SomeJazzyRat posted:

It's a film with a talking animal solving crimes. How is it not appropriate for young kids?

If it's the whole parent murder things, then I'll be sure to move it to the higher shelf full of 'Not for Kiddo' films like Harry Potter and Lion King.

Hmm, I didn't realize they aimed for PG, I assumed it would be PG-13 since they'd want adults and they're going live action with a slightly bleak outlook.

Perhaps they should go after all :unsmith:

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
We actually had a notice re: biohazard situations a couple of weeks ago.

Consider someone vomits or shits in the lobby. Even if you cordon it off, do customers feel like they’re in an inviting, clean place that they want to visit again? I sure as hell wouldn’t come back just because now I remember the place as where someone took a poo poo and I’d rather not associate excrement with things I consume.

Then again some people just don’t give a gently caress, they just want their waffle fries.

Pentaghastly fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 5, 2019

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Pentaghastly posted:

We actually had a notice re: biohazard situations a couple of weeks ago.

Consider someone vomits or shits in the lobby. Even if you cordon it off, do customers feel like they’re in an inviting, clean place that they want to visit again? I sure as hell wouldn’t come back just because now I remember the place as where someone took a poo poo and I’d rather not associate excrement with things I consume.

Then again some people just don’t give a gently caress, they just want their waffle fries.

I was working a kmart that shut down (surprise!) and someone splattered liquid poo poo from the front all the way to the back where the bathrooms were.

And god drat, were people persistent in wanting to drive their carts and walk right over this liquid poo poo.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

The Lord Bude posted:

I used to love watching Murder She Wrote as a 5 year old, but I'm weird.
I used to watch Law & Order with my parents pretty much every night as kid. Of course, I got the bonus of having my parents pick every single episode apart because my mom's a deputy and my stepdad's a defense attorney.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
In my experience the worst offenders in the Liquid poo poo Everywhere department actually isn’t toddlers, it’s old people who refuse to admit they need to wear diapers.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Old men have assholes like party trumpets blowing tar. This is what I have learned from my time as a janitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I could find a dead body in a bathroom and I wouldn't be bothered. As long as people don't come into the bathroom while I'm cleaning it, then we're good.