Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

who gives a gently caress. there's money on the line and he found a winning strat against the guy he was playing. he would've been a moron to do anything else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Jigglypuff ftw. topic locked.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

sharrrk posted:

who gives a gently caress. there's money on the line and he found a winning strat against the guy he was playing. he would've been a moron to do anything else

I don't really disagree, but it's still entirely the crowds' prerogative to jeer him for putting on such a bad show using one of the most degenerate tactics possible. Tournaments are a spectator sport and that prize money wouldn't exist if people frequently pulled that kind of poo poo.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
fighting games should not be a spectator sport

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

tournament players are not entertainers

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

the guy did nothing wrong. in his position, any of you would do the same.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

you know that's objectively untrue, right? just cause you would doesn't mean everyone else is broken.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

it's easy to sit up here in your ivory tower and criticise the little guy. maybe you should take a long look in the mirror and really think about what you're saying.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

look at this BROKEN man willing to use a tactic that works when money is on the line. Melee players are all autistic babies who don't shower and they won't even entertain ME, the world's only honorable Gamer

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I would've just played fox instead :smug:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I wonder where the tournament prize pools come from :thunk:

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
The fact that the Icies player here is also an advocate for bringing Wobbling back and apparently wore a shirt with his own hashtag on it makes me innately want to side with the Puff here.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

I always wondered what Puff did against ICs, until I finally saw HBox fight an IC. Turns out Puff has to camp really really hard.

I think it is the most unfun matchup in the game to play and to watch.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I mean poo poo if money is on the line I’d do that too. I’m never going back to work at Best Buy, gently caress your jeers.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

The Bee posted:

The fact that the Icies player here is also an advocate for bringing Wobbling back and apparently wore a shirt with his own hashtag on it makes me innately want to side with the Puff here.

That's where I am. He needs to learn to handle the cheese if he wants to advocate for another cheese.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Asnorban posted:

That's where I am. He needs to learn to handle the cheese if he wants to advocate for another cheese.

Exactly. Especially when wobbling is a zero to death, he forced a game 5 despite a bad matchup, and most viable melee characters can catch a Puff anyway. I hate calling johns, but the guy who puts #FreeFaux on his shirt to whine about bans and quits midmatch is chock full of them.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The Ice Climbers player is the one at fault IMO - by refusing to engage they're guaranteeing that they'll lose, and therefore they're just wasting everyone's time. That said Puff does seem to cause extremely boring time draws a lot of the time and the rules probably need to be changed to prevent that kind of stalling. If playing a game optimally leads to lovely gameplay you need to change the game.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 2, 2019

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If you walked away from the tv in any other game nobody would ever take you seriously again and talk the biggest poo poo possible every time you showed your face at locals again. The babiest move of all time, except maybe throwing your opponents controller

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Relevant Tangent posted:

you know that's objectively untrue, right? just cause you would doesn't mean everyone else is broken.

People risk getting gored by a bull for a loving Applebee’s certificate

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
it's fine to play the game the way you gotta to win, and it's also fine to acknowledge when that way kinda sucks

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Bleck posted:

it's fine to play the game the way you gotta to win, and it's also fine to acknowledge when that way kinda sucks

Yeah it mostly seems to be a weird catch 22 where the whole idea of a broadcast tournament with prize money is for entertainment value while the best strategy in that specific matchup is to be as unentertaining as possible

I feel like nobody did anything really wrong in this situation, from the players to the audience and even the broadcasters. Although if the ICs are that disadvantaged against Puff maybe the ICs player should start practicing a secondary? And if this match is going to keep hitting winners finals and causing viewership to tank then it's probably in the best interest of TOs to figure out a long term solution (my guess is this one is less likely since Melee has been out a long rear end time)

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
lol if you give a poo poo about smash tournaments instead of just playing the game solely as a vehicle to make Wario throw banana peels at and fart on pokemon

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah it mostly seems to be a weird catch 22 where the whole idea of a broadcast tournament with prize money is for entertainment value while the best strategy in that specific matchup is to be as unentertaining as possible

hahaha maybe the game just sucks haha

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The one who is at fault is the person who decided to not have rules against stalling.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

EorayMel posted:

lol if you give a poo poo about smash tournaments instead of just playing the game solely as a vehicle to make Wario throw banana peels at and fart on pokemon

Wario is really living the dream

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

EorayMel posted:

lol if you play video games at all

lol if you derive enjoyment from anything

but most of all

Ignite Memories posted:

hahaha maybe the game just sucks haha

lol at passive aggressive contrarian "old game bad" bullshit

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

TheKingofSprings posted:

lol if you play video games at all

lol if you derive enjoyment from anything

but most of all

lol at passive aggressive contrarian "old game bad" bullshit

so what about that video was a good thing

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

flatluigi posted:

so what about that video was a good thing

Nothing, but why do you think that video represents an entire videogame?
I don't particularly care about melee, but even I'm not stupid enough to think you can distill it down to a clip.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Foxhound posted:

Nothing, but why do you think that video represents an entire videogame?
I don't particularly care about melee, but even I'm not stupid enough to think you can distill it down to a clip.

I'm that stupid

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
It's really a question of whether or not games are a spectator sport or not. Baseball is considering changing its rules because advanced metrics/player strength has made the game more boring. Basketball and football change their rules all the time and obviously both have strict time limits in place to prevent stalling bullshit like that jigglypuff. When you care about people watching, this is a responsibility of the show. So I'm on the crowd's side here, I'm saying.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
There was a strict time limit in place. That's the whole point of stalling. It's like kneeling out the clock.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Reposting something I wrote elsewhere:

Thinking about that Jigfs/ICs match going around and how it's being described as "Melee at its worst". When commentators say that, what they really mean is "Melee at its least entertaining". Its least marketable, its least *profitable*. Is that what the community values?

I've talked before about how Puff hate is partially because Puff play goes against what Melee players value - aggressive, high-paced play that rewards a very particular training regimen & skillset. There's a weird machismo to Space Animals that Puff rejects. I thought that was it.

But now I'm thinking - all things are intersectional, right? Toxic machismo doesn't stand alone in Melee, it's tied all up in capitalist imperatives and monetizable branded Content. Puff is incompatible with that - or, at least, *less* compatable than the 20XX hype machine.

Melee Influencers understand implicitly, even if they don't all consciously realize, that Puff threatens Melee-as-an-industry. Hence the viral hate - the constant production of anti-Puff content to eke out some amount of $ from the situation while subtly pushing for a Puff ban.

My take? If Puff threatens the Melee Industrial Complex - if Melee can't make it back to stage against her - then good. Capitalism's insidious tendrils rot away at everything. If Melee can escape by becoming unprofitable, then thank god - its soul might yet be saved.

... which is all to say, that fighting games cannot be both a profitable spectator sport and a fair and engaging battleground.The outrage over this clip is just the latest expression of this fundamental incompatibility.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

please don't do it again

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

Thinking about that Jigfs/ICs match going around and how it's being described as "Melee at its worst". When commentators say that, what they really mean is "Melee at its least entertaining". Its least marketable, its least *profitable*. Is that what the community values?

I've talked before about how Puff hate is partially because Puff play goes against what Melee players value - aggressive, high-paced play that rewards a very particular training regimen & skillset. There's a weird machismo to Space Animals that Puff rejects. I thought that was it.

But now I'm thinking - all things are intersectional, right? Toxic machismo doesn't stand alone in Melee, it's tied all up in capitalist imperatives and monetizable branded Content. Puff is incompatible with that - or, at least, *less* compatable than the 20XX hype machine.

Melee Influencers understand implicitly, even if they don't all consciously realize, that Puff threatens Melee-as-an-industry. Hence the viral hate - the constant production of anti-Puff content to eke out some amount of $ from the situation while subtly pushing for a Puff ban.

My take? If Puff threatens the Melee Industrial Complex - if Melee can't make it back to stage against her - then good. Capitalism's insidious tendrils rot away at everything. If Melee can escape by becoming unprofitable, then thank god - its soul might yet be saved.

... which is all to say, that fighting games cannot be both a profitable spectator sport and a fair and engaging battleground.The outrage over this clip is just the latest expression of this fundamental incompatibility.

The only reason such a degenerate tactic even get a look-in is because of financial incentive though, if you tried to timer stall an entire five minute match in a friendly you'd rightly be treated with disgust for wasting your opponent's time.

Either Smash should be a de-monetised hobby in which case why would you go to such efforts to win in such a lovely way when there's nothing on the line but your enjoyment of the game? Or it's a sport people are playing for money in which case there should be some limitations to stall to prevent scenarios where the crowd and commentators are literally booing the games they paid to see and which are funding the the tournament's prize fund.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

DoctorWhat posted:

Andrast posted:

please don't do it again

Seconding this.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

multijoe posted:

The only reason such a degenerate tactic even get a look-in is because of financial incentive though, if you tried to timer stall an entire five minute match in a friendly you'd rightly be treated with disgust for wasting your opponent's time.

Either Smash should be a de-monetised hobby in which case why would you go to such efforts to win in such a lovely way when there's nothing on the line but your enjoyment of the game? Or it's a sport people are playing for money in which case there should be some limitations to stall to prevent scenarios where the crowd and commentators are literally booing the games they paid to see and which are funding the the tournament's prize fund.

My point exactly. Melee-as-it-is and esports profit are not as compatible as monied interests would like. Legislating nerfs to Puff is the Melee Industry's solution. I'd rather Melee lose all profitability than see rules changes to benefit the esports industry.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

My point exactly. Melee-as-it-is and esports profit are not as compatible as monied interests would like. Legislating nerfs to Puff is the Melee Industry's solution. I'd rather Melee lose all profitability than see rules changes to benefit the esports industry.

The monetization is unfortunately what is driving people to compete at these levels, because it's not currently possible to spend that amount of time training and competing if you also have to work to feed yourself, so you need sponsors/twitch followers/tourney winnings.

Basically we need to dismantle the entire capitalist system, it's not at all possible to set up pure islands of isolation from capitalism's corrupting influence. In a post-capitalist world, players would be free to compete at the highest levels of play just for personal achievement.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Exactly. we have to smash capitalism to smash freely.

To clarify: stalling with Puff isn't revolutionary praxis but I do get a certain satisfaction from watching it cause such apoplectic reactions among esports bootlickers.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

jigglypuff ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Guy A. Person posted:

Basically we need to dismantle the entire capitalist system

this is not the thread in which I expected to be agreeing to this today but nonetheless