Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Infinitum posted:

Don't like this post, because it continues a meta discussion without providing any reasoning for the vote.
One line posts are hot garbage, and allow scum to coast through the game.

Explain your reasoning please.

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Jon Joe posted:

Before I get into infi’s (imo more substantiated) points against me, I wanted to address merk’s:

This is pinging me like a malware infected computer pings the pentagon servers.

And no that isn’t just...uh, what’s the term? USUCK? USUCC? I know both of those are wrong but I can’t for the life of me remember the term, been too long since my last mafia game lol. I’m so dummy thicc the clap of my rear end cheeks keeps alerting the scum.

The post merk is quoting was made way, way early in the day, and merk has had ample time to respond to it before now with his suspicions. He did question me over it, but showed no signs this was a Big Scum Sign.

To summon the specter of “merk is too good a player” that haunts this game, I must say that merk is too good a player for such a lazy case - and I’m not referring to the word count. Points one through three are some the laziest, least interesting, and uncompelling casework I have seen this game, and that includes from people I think are scum besides merk (stay tuned for jonjoe’s Very Special lumpen list, coming soon to a post near you)

Point 5 is null - it shouldn’t even be on this list considering the crux of his argument doesn’t even rely on saying I’m not putting in effort. In the immortal words of a great sage, “that’s just, like, your opinion, man”

Point 4 is the only one that interests me, as it’s the only one that offers a potential townie explanation for merk’s shift to voting me. “It looks like you purposely got in a slapfight which didn’t advance scumhunting”.

Ok.

That’s just a recycled edition of kash’s opinion on me, albeit stripped of the idea that Fisk was also in on it. This doesn’t offer to me a compelling reason for as to why merk believes I’m scum. I mean, it has the closest thing to potential for that, and I would definitely like to see merk expand more on it whether he chooses to keep voting me or not, but I have to wonder why he didn’t make his case about that, the thing that made him change his mind, in the first place

(It’s because he’s opportunistic scum)

your posts haven't really pinged me until this one, which reads as very self-conscious and defensive, but trying not to seem flustered, which is p scummy imo. would vote

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Jon Joe posted:

Yep, that’s my role. I’m a fake vig. I wasn’t expecting somb to remind people not to post/close the thread, because I thought the purpose of my role was to draw out reactions. I couldn’t use it on fool because it would draw out too much confusion over if the item he didn’t get had anything to do with it, infi wouldn’t be here until until the deadline and I didn’t want to cause that much chaos so close to it, merk I expected to have the discipline to not give anything away. You, though, seemed hot headed enough that you could possibly admit something if you were scum.

Sadly my power didn’t work out that way and has amounted to a big fat nothing. I have to wonder what somb even intended the role for. It does say I count as having a kill for investigations, so I guess it’s just a slightly cooler miller role?

Oh well.

hmmmmmmmmm.

Jonathan Fisk posted:

that's classic lie overexplanation. What's the real story

:agreed:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

George Kansas posted:

your posts haven't really pinged me until this one, which reads as very self-conscious and defensive, but trying not to seem flustered, which is p scummy imo. would vote

I like jokes, and like to mix them with the serious stuff. I was also born self aware in what were the most horrifying seventeen minutes of my life. Sue me.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Real curious what you thought about anything I posted before then considering this is your first interaction with me in the game GK. Got anything more solid than “not pinging”?

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Jon Joe posted:

Real curious what you thought about anything I posted before then considering this is your first interaction with me in the game GK. Got anything more solid than “not pinging”?

Looks pretty forced given your other, more questionable, play.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Jon Joe posted:

I like jokes, and like to mix them with the serious stuff. I was also born self aware in what were the most horrifying seventeen minutes of my life. Sue me.

unrelated: are you claiming to remember your own birth? or is this a joke flying way over my head.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

unrelated: are you claiming to remember your own birth? or is this a joke flying way over my head.

Yes to both

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Jon Joe posted:

not really

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

Looks pretty forced given your other, more questionable, play.

i hadnt read that yet, i reacted to it after that post, sir

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

George Kansas posted:

not really

i hadnt read that yet, i reacted to it after that post, sir

fair enough, fair enough.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

merk posted:

I used to get pretty hot when people attacked me personally in mafia.

Now, I try look beyond the attack at what is behind it and brush it off. I think there’s good scum tells when people get ugly. The rawness is easier to identify as genuine or not.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3729528&pagenumber=1906#post493892158

This post in the Discussion Thread isn't about the Amoeba stuff earlier, but I could see someone thinking it might be. Therefore, I'm posting it here for transparency.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Poop posting at work for a minute, so can't make any big posts (Only big poops)

What the gently caress is 'fake vig'. I want more explanation to that please Jon Joe.

Like that's essentially a vanilla role, and I don't buy that for a loving second. There's def more to that role.

##vote Jon Joe

Fisk I did like you for town previously, but you need to stop tunneling toalpaz and make some commentary on other players.

Would also potentially be down for a merk vote as well, as they're posting style on catchup is pinging me

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
What is pinging you about me?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Infinitum posted:

Poop posting at work for a minute, so can't make any big posts (Only big poops)

What the gently caress is 'fake vig'. I want more explanation to that please Jon Joe.

Like that's essentially a vanilla role, and I don't buy that for a loving second. There's def more to that role.

##vote Jon Joe

Fisk I did like you for town previously, but you need to stop tunneling toalpaz and make some commentary on other players.

Would also potentially be down for a merk vote as well, as they're posting style on catchup is pinging me

It’s. Fake. It’s a vig where it’s garaunteed to fail. And I look like I have a kill to anyone that investigates for kill having.

Only part I didn’t mention because it wasn’t relevant was I could have chosen to use at night instead, except to even less effect because nobody would see it unless we have a watcher/tracker type role.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

i think taste is being pretty inhospitable but i lean town on him atm

would vote toalpaz (i wont let item wifom deter me from who i think is most likely to be scum), would vote. would also vote jonjoe for already stated reason

Infinitum posted:

is this just a tone thing or do you have a particular reason for thinking he's scum? i've agreed with a lot of merk's reasoning, and even if he's scum he's a high content poster and worth keeping around

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Jon Joe posted:

It’s. Fake. It’s a vig where it’s garaunteed to fail. And I look like I have a kill to anyone that investigates for kill having.

what do you think the game purpose of such a role is, because I'm the new guy maybe it's just not obvious to me but that sounds bizarre.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

George Kansas posted:

even if he's scum he's a high content poster and worth keeping around

I hate, have always hated, and will always hate this logic. Vote who you think is scum and don’t give high content posters a free pass. After all, you’re not to me, right? And you might not like my content but you can’t disagree there’s a lot of it. I started out this post just wanting to make a metalogic argument but now I think your double standards are sketchy af.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

fool_of_sound posted:

what do you think the game purpose of such a role is, because I'm the new guy maybe it's just not obvious to me but that sounds bizarre.

As merk said it operates like I’m a miller (or godfather if I’m scum, but I’m not, but dont take my word for it)

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Jon Joe posted:

As merk said it operates like I’m a miller (or godfather if I’m scum, but I’m not, but dont take my word for it)

Assuming the existence of the relatively rare gunsmith role.

But I have a feeling somber just made some goofy roles in this game.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Jon Joe posted:

I hate, have always hated, and will always hate this logic. Vote who you think is scum and don’t give high content posters a free pass. After all, you’re not to me, right? And you might not like my content but you can’t disagree there’s a lot of it. I started out this post just wanting to make a metalogic argument but now I think your double standards are sketchy af.

If the town lost, then you were probably going to lose anyway, what with the town consisting of so many shitposters and lurkers.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Jon Joe posted:

yeah I looked that up though and it says the purpose of the miller is to weaken the cop by showing up as falsely guilty. that doesn't make sense if you have to actively choose to fake kill someone before the false guilty shows up; what is the motivation for activating your fake kill in that case?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Put like that I like the argument more, though I still question your double standard of then voting me. Not that you can’t vote me for being scummy, this is a right to which all are entitled by birth, but that you would list this as something to follow but apply it inconsistently is, to me, ‘sus’ as the kids say.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

also d1 cases are generally bad, and infinitum's case is "posting pings me," so i guess i just think this logic is actually p good for d1? you dont want the game to devolve and become impossible to win because all the effortposters were lunched and NK'ed early.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

fool_of_sound posted:

yeah I looked that up though and it says the purpose of the miller is to weaken the cop by showing up as falsely guilty. that doesn't make sense if you have to actively choose to fake kill someone before the false guilty shows up; what is the motivation for activating your fake kill in that case?

I appear as having a kill whether or not I’ve used it.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Jon Joe posted:

Put like that I like the argument more, though I still question your double standard of then voting me. Not that you can’t vote me for being scummy, this is a right to which all are entitled by birth, but that you would list this as something to follow but apply it inconsistently is, to me, ‘sus’ as the kids say.

In my mind I'm not applying it inconsistently :)

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Jon Joe posted:

I appear as having a kill whether or not I’ve used it.

ok, then what's the gameplay purpose of the fake kill at all?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

fool_of_sound posted:

ok, then what's the gameplay purpose of the fake kill at all?

My best guess? It’s funny/flavorful

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Jon Joe posted:

My best guess? It’s funny/flavorful

that seems strange but I dunno maybe this is an april fools game with all stupid roles or something.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

Toalpaz posted:

Dudes Fisk is third party or something, I can't imagine scum or town acting like this? Death miller or executioner?

##unvote

Toalpaz posted:

To be clear, Fisk is assuming I'm lying about not being able to pardon myself. He's asking for a thunderdome hoping a real one is placed between me and him. He hopes I will pardon myself and town and scum will kill him.

He is a Jester/death miller.

After rereading the game, ##vote Toal

You can't possibly believe that Fisk is Death Miller, Jester, or Executioner. Moreover, if you believe Fisk is one of those third party roles, why aren't you voting Fisk?

This is Toal seeing that Fisk is winning the argument and trying to find a way to bow out without looking scummy. I think it looks the opposite.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

George Kansas posted:

In my mind I'm not applying it inconsistently :)

Peculiar, friend. I am extremely active and have generated mass amounts of content. Even merk, scum as I think he is, will admit to it, even if in the same breath he calls it “meh”.

Does anyone else here see the sheer inconsistency of GK?

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

merk (2): A Sometimes Food, Retro Futurist, Jonathan Fisk, Jonathan Fisk
Jon Joe (2): merk, Hal Incandenza, merk, Infinitum
Toalpaz (2): George Kansas, Infinitum, Jonathan Fisk, George Kansas, Infinitum, Anomalous Amalgam, Anomalous Amalgam, Jonathan Fisk, Jonathan Fisk, merk
fool_of_sound (1): Jonathan Fisk, Jon Joe, Jonathan Fisk, Infinitum, Infinitum, Infinitum, Anomalous Amalgam, Anomalous Amalgam, Infinitum
Lynch No One! (1): fool_of_sound
Jonathan Fisk (1): kaschei, Toalpaz, Toalpaz
Amoeba102 (1): merk, George Kansas, merk
Infinitum (1): merk, merk, SolusLunes, Toalpaz, merk, merk, Toalpaz
Retro Futurist (1): Anomalous Amalgam
Dick Bastardly (0): merk, SolusLunes, merk, Toalpaz, SolusLunes, Toalpaz
SolusLunes (0): Infinitum, Infinitum, Jon Joe, Jon Joe
George Kansas (0): Infinitum, Toalpaz, Infinitum, Toalpaz

Not Voting (3): Amoeba102, Dick Bastardly, Toalpaz

With 15 alive, it's 8 votes to execute. The current deadline is April 02nd, 2019 at 10:10 p.m. CDT -- that's in about 4 hours, 45 minutes.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Jon Joe posted:

Peculiar, friend. I am extremely active and have generated mass amounts of content. Even merk, scum as I think he is, will admit to it, even if in the same breath he calls it “meh”.

Does anyone else here see the sheer inconsistency of GK?

I can present it in a different, probably more accurate way if you'd like

merk is a drat good town player and i dont think its worth lunching him on "his content pings me" d1

i think the same of max, KB, MMT, and a couple other mafia players, but not very many

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

George Kansas posted:

I can present it in a different, probably more accurate way if you'd like

merk is a drat good town player and i dont think its worth lunching him on "his content pings me" d1

i think the same of max, KB, MMT, and a couple other mafia players, but not very many

Sure, that’s better

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Toal is a fine vote, they aren't quite as bad as a few games ago when they were obvious scum but this doesn't feel like town Toal

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope
I like JJs LOL option and haven't ruled it out. I prefer rf, but would vote toal to clear the air

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
At this point I’m going to take a hit to both my pride and credibility to admit my insistence on an infi/fool divide is limiting my ability to think about this game in constructive ways, especially given the overwhelming amount of content we’ve had since then that I should be considering in a more wholistic light. I still do not believe that my initial insistence on the divide was wrong, and further assert that sometimes taking such risks is just what’s needed to win as town, but I will admit I held onto it too long and with too much certainty.

I’m going to do a full reread, and my opinions may or may not undergo drastic shifts as a result. Brb.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo my posts loving suck looking from the outside, in.

Anyway halfway through.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jon Joe posted:

Only part I didn’t mention because it wasn’t relevant was I could have chosen to use at night instead, except to even less effect because nobody would see it unless we have a watcher/tracker type role.

"It investigates like I have a kill"
"Oh yeah it's a Miller role like Merk said."

You have over 100 games under your belt in votefinder.
You know the way SA plays Miller's is to claim them immediately; you should be policy voted just for not doing so
http://mafiawiki.notesmash.org/wiki/Miller

This is a whole bunch of horseshit you're shoveling right now and is suss as gently caress.

George Kansas posted:

is this just a tone thing or do you have a particular reason for thinking he's scum? i've agreed with a lot of merk's reasoning, and even if he's scum he's a high content poster and worth keeping around

General tone. As I said he's pinging me atm and I don't have anything substantial past that.

"Even if he's scum he's worth keeping around"? Maaaaaate wtf is that nonsense

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

That's my morning tea break done. I will try to be around for deadline, but work is busy today.

Comfortable with vote on JJ
Also cool with a Toalpaz or fool vote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
On page 9 of reread but wanted to respond - I already explained why I saved it, I thought I could use it to force a potentially useful reaction. I did not at the time believe I would merely be a flavorful miller.