Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Syndicate hat is a powerful new item

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Been watching a SS13 youtuber for a few days now, BlackPantsLegion. Still not quite tempted to try SS13 since time is limited and all, but I do enjoy his mix of acting out chat, monologuing, etc. Any other youtubers in that vein?

I'll probably have some time later this year to give this kitchen sink of a video game a shot.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
PlumpHelmetPunk is another great one, he hasn't made any SS13 videos for a while but he has quite a few already.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

pnutz posted:

have syringe in hand, click on yourself. If it says DRAW click on the word DRAW so it turns into INJECT. Unless you have a weird bloodtype and want to gently caress people over by sharing needles.
Thanks, that makes sense but I never put it together.

pnutz posted:

pseudo-edit: why don't you know how to use the revolver having played before?
The secret was I never really learned how to do much of anything even when I played frequently :haw:

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Argas posted:

Been watching a SS13 youtuber for a few days now, BlackPantsLegion. Still not quite tempted to try SS13 since time is limited and all, but I do enjoy his mix of acting out chat, monologuing, etc. Any other youtubers in that vein?

I'll probably have some time later this year to give this kitchen sink of a video game a shot.

There's also Razage's LP videos, I believe his Youtube name is yorpyorpyorp.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

soy posted:

I wish some admin would become a twitch streamer, I always wondered what game is like from admin perspective.

The admin perspective is :
1 part simcity but your population is paranoid as gently caress and don't pay taxes,
1 part dwarf fortress in the sheer scope of toys and systems you have at your fingertips to perform anything from light adminhelp assisting, to elaborate setpieces, to extreme system fuckling, to unbelievably obtuse badminning,
1 part dungeon keeper in that you can influence rounds on both a macro and micro level to suit your whims without ruining people's experience (goodmin) or instead fill the station with yeti and stuff crew inside an indestructible bus (badmin),
and 1 part having to deal with and banning 'ironically' racist 13 year old edgelords going on toolbox rampages in arrivals.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Pacra posted:

and 1 part having to deal with and banning 'ironically' racist 13 year old edgelords going on toolbox rampages in arrivals.

One round some hitler joined and was autobanned, and I'd like to thank the admins for shoving him into the cloner mincer (back when it didn't check for a pulse) before I someone sold all his stuff as memorabilia

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Dieting Hippo posted:

Example: Teleportation

When the teleporter is overclocked via the console, the teleport area can then be increased to a 2x2, 3x3, or even NxN area with each increase in size increasing the power draw dramatically. The teleport pad will still only operate as a 1x1 portal, but the destination will instead spawn portals in a NxN area. If Receive is pressed, objects in that NxN area will be teleported to the same square as the teleporter pad. If Send is pressed, items on the teleporter pad will be sent to random squares in the NxN portal area at the destination.

Pros: Allows for a Star Trek-esque evac of people in Adventure zones, or movement of a large number of objects.

Cons: Where objects are sent in the destination portal area is entirely random.

Robust: Throw assorted weaponry into the teleporter room, receive the entire monkey holding pen, then drop the Tactical Monkey Squad all around whoever needs instant monkey justice.

I like this concept because it's useful, potentially catastrophic, and also encourages department interaction with Mechanics who are probably building teleporter traps anyway.

Heya, this implementation isn't needed, because you can already perform NxN area teleports (to a limit) with the teleporter.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Please give back atmos.

Or at the very least the ability to rearrange pipes/connectors/valves. The TEG's pipe arrangement is suboptimal.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

atmos has been gone for nearly as long as your dad at this point, and like him, it's time to accept it's not coming back

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Coasterphreak posted:

There's also Razage's LP videos, I believe his Youtube name is yorpyorpyorp.

Changeling 4 Captain 2020

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

atmos has been gone for nearly as long as your dad at this point, and like him, it's time to accept it's not coming back

(hell)BURN

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

pnutz posted:

One round some hitler joined and was autobanned, and I'd like to thank the admins for shoving him into the cloner mincer (back when it didn't check for a pulse) before I someone sold all his stuff as memorabilia

The Hitler memorabilia! All the Hitler rides and games!

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

ZeusCannon posted:

Changeling 4 Captain 2020

One time during an adminbus round I got made a changeling and also a cluwne, which resulted in me gibbering, passing out, slamming my head in doors and failing to eat people before the neurotoxin wore off. It was truely hilarious.

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
g

Gooses and Geeses fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Aug 14, 2020

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Is there any way to open card-locked crates besides an EMAG?

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

Vengarr posted:

I think you can bash them? On some servers you can use an emitter.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Explosions.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Vengarr posted:

Shoot it, lots. Ideally, set up an emitter or two. EMP might work too.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Why not?

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

The code still exists. I'm pretty sure even pipe construction/destruction exists. It would have taken a lot less effort to implement and been a far more meaningful (re)addition to the game over the gimmicky dynamic liquid system that's even laggier and more broken than atmos.

2D SPACE men not 2D SEA men, okay?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
The main non-lag related argument I've heard against atmos is basically that it's not interesting. It exists purely as a thing that antagonists can gently caress with. A lot of the systems in the game have plenty of antag-fuckery-related functionality, but also tend to have some legitimate use so normal crew can find something fun to do with it too. Atmos is just like... if air is being pumped around the station, that's the job done. You can't really make it pump around "better".

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Also, by my understanding, the original atmos code is something of a black box. It was coded by the original creator of SS13 as an actual academic simulation, and has a level of complexity that I'm not sure any of the goonstation coders ever deciphered fully.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The solution to atmos being an antag-only thing is to create positive uses and means of interaction for it.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

There's already a horribly complicated mess of a system that has limited beneficial usage but can be used by an antagonist to kill the entire station.

It's Pathology, and I say this as a dedicated Pathology nerd who has ruined several rounds with bee sneezing plasma farts.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

redneck nazgul posted:

There's already a horribly complicated mess of a system that has limited beneficial usage but can be used by an antagonist to kill the entire station.

It's Pathology, and I say this as a dedicated Pathology nerd who has ruined several rounds with bee sneezing plasma farts.

See, I feel like there's an easy solution there: let Pathologists ship cures and vaccines off-station for cash.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

redneck nazgul posted:

Pathology is the profession I go to when sec pushes me around and I get to feel like a big man with my dangerous germs

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

First round as chef: 20 minutes figuring out how to mix dough, then a black hole formed on my ovens.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Thats some good mixin

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

neogeo0823 posted:

So, funny story. The deep fryer lets you, or at least used to let you deep fry anything. And you used to be able to pump yourself chock full of whatever chemicals you wanted. The net bug that this resulted in was, if you pumped yourself full of enough of the right healing chems, you could suicide next to the fryer and deep fry yourself into a piece of edible food. Another person could then eat you. Now, when that happens, the game would sort of put your player into a weird state of existing-but-not-existing, where your body didn't exist, but things could still happen to you. Like, you know, those massive amounts of healing chems bringing you back to life. Overall, this wasn't that big of a thing though, because your body didn't exist, right? So throw in another bug, where if the person that ate you had their body be destroyed, then that triggered... something that I'm honestly not still 100% sure on, which caused your living, breathing body to respawn in the other guy's place.

All of this was found out by accident over the course of several weeks, and culminated in a syndie round where the team of syndies broke into the kitchen and deep fried all but one member, who ate all of the rest of them. That lone syndie then disguised himself, hunted down the captain, got him in a room alone, and shoved a chainsaw into his own chest, gibbing him and releasing half a dozen other fully armed and armored syndicate team members like Pennywise's hosed up, meaty clown car.

I think this was first discovered when someone got meatcubed then exploded into a fully formed spaceman who was like "what"

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

The solution to atmos being an antag-only thing is to create positive uses and means of interaction for it.

yeah ok like what

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Dabir posted:

yeah ok like what

The entire station starts out de-oxygenated and everyone has to use air tanks until atmos gets up and running. This would naturally include having to run ventilation pipes everywhere.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The entire station starts out de-oxygenated and everyone has to use air tanks until atmos gets up and running. This would naturally include having to run ventilation pipes everywhere.

Clown immediately suffocates every round (which would admittedly be kind of funny, but like, only the first few times)

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

John Madden!

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
All the air tanks start empty and you have to get atmos staff to fill them

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Dabir posted:

yeah ok like what

different gas mixtures have different effects on people who breathe them, a whole range of gas science based on getting the right precise ratios of various science gasses to produce various beneficial or detrimental effects, etc.

if you can turn a machine that makes meatloaf into a well of deep and forbidden science, you can do it to atmos

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Pre-round statement from a red-texter.

"OOC: HydroFloric: Please do not hoard tokens folks or the token gnelf will take em"

What?

What does this mean? What is meant by 'hoard'? How many is 'hoard'? Why is it fair that an admin can arbitrarily decide I have too many tokens that I got from having an admin gently caress my round up or a sever crash dunking something fun I was doing as a traitor or whatever, and snatch them?

What the gently caress is this poo poo?

I asked in game as the statement was made near round start but whoever this admin is never bothered to clarify it at all, despite me questioning on the radio multiple times.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

maybe it was a joke

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
MY TOKENS!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
i am very good at reddit, apparently

not my proudest skill in life but i will acknowledge it

all of that was in response to a post about how meatballs used to be called faggots and i said "yeah we've kind of grown up"