Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Stephen Lang is the best and most memorable part of the whole movie.

“They’ll each yer eyes for jujubes.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Intel&Sebastian posted:

The thing that weirds me out is that the whole thing has an extremely 90's vibe to it, like the acting, the casting, the music, the plot being a 1995 Disney film

Ferngully isnt a Disney movie tho.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Darko posted:

A reason iconic movie moments from other one-off movies like E.T., are remembered because what would happen was:

a) movie is shown
b) movie has a really long theatrical run in which standout moments from the movie were played over and over
c) movie returned to the theater - those moments are repeated in commercials over and over again
d) years later, video - same thing
e) also toy commercials in this period that repeated scenes

...by this point, those moments are tied into the movie and ingrained in the cultural zeitgeist.

Back then there was also no YouTube, no Prime Video, no Netflix, Hulu, Video On-Demand from cable providers, etc. There's just so much entertainment readily available that makes it hard for any kind of movie to have long-lasting cultural impact with how fast those platforms and companies are churning out media for mass consumption.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MacheteZombie posted:

Many are afraid to say this.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Darko posted:

A reason iconic movie moments from other one-off movies like E.T., are remembered because what would happen was:

a) movie is shown
b) movie has a really long theatrical run in which standout moments from the movie were played over and over
c) movie returned to the theater - those moments are repeated in commercials over and over again
d) years later, video - same thing
e) also toy commercials in this period that repeated scenes

...by this point, those moments are tied into the movie and ingrained in the cultural zeitgeist.

Current movies don't have that unless:

a) the initial trailers start a meme. See "This is Sparta."
b) something in the movies start a meme
c) the movies have sequels that bring back moments from the other movies in commercials for the sequels/get people watch the earlier movies in preparation for sequels

Even when they make billions, they're gone in months and move to the next thing. Stuff like Jaws or E.T. kept coming back for YEARS.

Avatar was at the movies for an exceptionally long time, but all the commercials focused on visuals/sound of scenes looking "pretty" and didn't really replay any of the dialogue. And had no toy commercials that I remember at least. And no sequels. Titanic had Celine Dion's song playing for eternity tied in with the visual of Jack holding Rose, at least, so that, at least has points of memory - and that's the closest comparable movie to that.

There's also the fact that we just aren't children anymore. Our brains just aren't as impressionable and sponge-like as we age. It's hard to be nostalgic for something that came out when you were already an adult.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Avatar made me root for the bad guys because the bad guys' acting had charisma and personality, and the good guys were dull as dishwater. And for me, at least, there comes a point at which preaching and moral messages starts to drastically backfire out of spite towards the person or people delivering the message.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Cythereal posted:

And for me, at least, there comes a point at which preaching and moral messages starts to drastically backfire out of spite towards the person or people delivering the message.

And not just in movies, if you watched Spielberg's acceptance speech that year.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

MacheteZombie posted:

It's the intersection of Ferngully, Pocahontas, and Dune. That's part of the problem...it's not even plainly derivative of just one movie, it's a homogenized blend of several. But that doesn't inherently make a movie bad or boring...what is Star Wars if not the genre overlay of Flash Gordon, western/samurai films, and Dune? The bigger sin is the heroes being insanely dull stock characters that you have to spend 3 hours with.

But I honestly think Avatar is unfairly maligned as a film. It's a pretty excellent piece of visual storytelling, with a pretty impressive sense of scope and scale. Big moments actually feel big, the settings feel realized, the action is staged in a kinetic way...it's an extremely good implementation of a very mediocre script. For the latter reason, the story and characters don't persist in anyone's memory, but it earned $2 billion because it's a well-crafted movie.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MacheteZombie posted:

It is now

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Burkion posted:

It is now

Oh gently caress!

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Xealot posted:

... but it earned $2 billion because it's a well-crafted movie.

It’s closer to 3 (just under 2.8 billion total).

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

The thing that weirds me out is that the whole thing has an extremely 90's vibe to it, like the acting, the casting, the music, the plot being a 1995 Disney film

Cameron is in the top ten list of people responsible for what we now think of as 90s aesthetic.

BiggerBoat posted:

Except Terminator had great word of mouth and was very memorable. If I remember right, it kind of started off doing fairly OK but was one of those films that grew legs as positive buzz got out.

I get this, and I don't mean to diminish it, but until Terminator 2 I didn't even think of Terminator as the biggest cultural touchstone action movie of that year. I wouldn't even consider it the best action movie of 1984 built chiefly around off-the-wall stunt casting. (Beverly Hills Cop!)

It was "just" a good, solid movie, but then the sequel was a phenomenon.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
A thought just came to me: I think the odds are pretty good that if the Zack Snyder version of Justice League comes out, it will debut on WarnerMedia's streaming service as a killer app.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Too bad it never will.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Then again....who...does? Hm

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

McSpanky posted:

And not just in movies, if you watched Spielberg's acceptance speech that year.

Oh, I know. I love the environment and love a good pro-environment message. Avatar, in my opinion, was so pro-environment they forgot to put a story or characters in there.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Robot Style posted:

Too bad it never will.

counterpoint: Snyder's still apparently on decent terms with WB, and they probably wouldn't be okay with him hyping it up the way he has been, unless they plan on potentially doing something with it.

guerilla-marketing through Snyder himself while they finish it up, and then dropping it out of nowhere when their streaming service starts, would be a loving masterstroke.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

BiggerBoat posted:

EDIT: Nope. It was #1 opening weekend. Also, didn't Avatar benefit from being one of the first "new 3d" movies" and kind of kicked off that trend?

It was the trend. They developed the tech for modern 3d movies to make Avatar.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Patrick Spens posted:

It was the trend. They developed the tech for modern 3d movies to make Avatar.

Most movies post-Avatar actually didn't even bother to use the camera tech that was used to film the live-action parts of Avatar in stereoscopic 3D. They favored the cheaper route via post-conversion, which is why they mostly look like crap in comparison. They were just riding the 3D marketing blitz. The list of films that have utilized the Fusion Camera System is actually pretty small: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusion_Camera_System — shooting/directing in 3D for live-action is a whole different skillset too I think, which is why Cameron's implementation has never really been matched since 2009.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

I heard that Scorsese did well with Hugo, though like most people I didn't see that in a theater.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

A mech wielding a mech-sized knife is very anime and should tell you everything about what James Cameron is a fan of.

thrawn527 posted:

Pandora does have a whole "land" at a Disney theme park. But that park is Animal Kingdom, which is one of the least popular parks in the country, so not sure how much that means.

Like, I've lived in Orlando since I was 8, my wife and I have had annual passes for Disney since my daughter was born almost 3 years ago, and I have never been to Animal Kingdom.

But it's not nothing.

The park is well designed, but intentional or not there some dark undertones that fit the themes of the movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrIxGWterYA
tl;dr: The story is that after the mining company and mercs left, another corporation offers to work with Na'vi to educate humans about their culture but it appears they have basically commercialized Na'vi culture without much involvement from actual Na'vi.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I'll be straight with you: I've never seen Avatar, and I may never.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The MSJ posted:

tl;dr: The story is that after the mining company and mercs left, another corporation offers to work with Na'vi to educate humans about their culture but it appears they have basically commercialized Na'vi culture without much involvement from actual Na'vi.

Added that video to watch later, thanks. Interesting. I wonder if that narrative bit will make its way into the sequels.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

porfiria posted:

I'll be straight with you: I've never seen Avatar, and I may never.

It'll probably get an IMAX re-release this year I'm guessing, for its 10th anniversary and maybe to gauge interest after a potential Avatar 2 teaser drops at SDCC in July. If it does, I definitely recommend to see it in IMAX 3D.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

teagone posted:

Hey guys, I think Endgame is actually going to make lots of money! I know, what a hot take. Careful, don't cut yourself with how edgy this post is.

:razz:

controversial opinion time: i think it's incredibly obvious that Endgame is gonna make hella bank, but I'm going out on a limb and saying that it's not going to have the highest opening weekend for an MCU movie. Reason: Holy loving poo poo It's 3 Hours Long.

Now obviously, that's not actually going to put off people from seeing it because at this point they could put Robert Downey Junior's Big Swinging Dick on screen for 150 minutes straight and everyone is gonna freak out, but it's definitely going to affect people going to see it multiple times, and it's also definitely going to have less showings overall. Talking with my boss at work today and he originally got the order from his boss to make sure that each screen of Endgame would have 5 shows a day, but he told him that wasn't gonna work because between the 3 hours and 2 minutes of movie, plus the 20 minutes of trailers that show before blockbusters, plus the time needed to clean and show our pre-reel, each showing was gonna need 4 hours, and five shows a day of 4 hours each is 20 loving hours, and there's no way we're keeping our theater open for 20 loving hours, even for Avengers. That's shows starting at 8am and ending at 1am, with something pretty much every 40 minutes since we're likely to have it on half of our 12 screens. You might see some of the biggest theaters in bigger cities doing this (all those 30 screen monstrosities, especially) but a lot of smaller theaters aren't gonna be able to show it as much as a movie that's 2 or even 2.5 hours. Less screening, plus less people watching it multiple times, means less money.

Of course, Disney knows this and doesn't give a poo poo. they can tell movie theaters to do whatever the gently caress they want because any multiplex that wants to fight Disney is a multiplex that will not be showing any of the billion-dollar grossers that they have in the works for this year, and that's a multiplex that is going out of business. Their making a 3 hour long movie is a giant middle finger to theaters because they can.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Chieves posted:

I heard that Scorsese did well with Hugo, though like most people I didn't see that in a theater.

Hugo in theater was amazing.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The MSJ posted:

A mech wielding a mech-sized knife is very anime and should tell you everything about what James Cameron is a fan of.

The park is well designed, but intentional or not there some dark undertones that fit the themes of the movie.

I did Na'vi that coming

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

counterpoint: Snyder's still apparently on decent terms with WB, and they probably wouldn't be okay with him hyping it up the way he has been, unless they plan on potentially doing something with it.

guerilla-marketing through Snyder himself while they finish it up, and then dropping it out of nowhere when their streaming service starts, would be a loving masterstroke.

My question is what the Snyder Cut even is, and what would be involved in finishing it.

The most straightforward answer would be "finish the sound and VFX of the edit that existed when he left", but I don't think that would be "The Synder Cut". When I was working on the movie, we didn't have a locked edit at that point, so would Snyder be allowed to continue to refine it from where he left off until he's satisfied? If not, that wouldn't really be The Snyder Cut in its most basic definition. If he is allowed to continue working on his cut, would the original editors come back to join him? They've all moved on to other projects, so more likely they would have to bring someone else in, who would have a whole new batch of ideas that Snyder might want to incorporate. He also has the benefit of being able to see a complete version of the film, and would have had time to re-evaluate it that might change what he wants to do with the movie. There might even be parts of Whedon's version that he prefers to what he originally shot.

If he got an editor and permission to continue working on the actual editing of the film, would he be allowed to have reshoots? They were in the original schedule, and shortly before Joss Whedon took over the whole thing, we heard that he was going to be doing some dialogue punch-ups on a few shots. Which of those shots, if any, are allowed in The Snyder Cut? From what I can tell, Snyder's version of the movie was being slowly eroded by the studio over a period of months, until he finally abandoned it. Does he get to start the edit over from the beginning?

Once the actual editing of The Snyder Cut is done, who's going to do the sound and VFX? Everyone from the original team has moved on. You'd have to get new sound editors, and would Junkie XL return to write new music? Or would The Snyder Cut have to make do with Danny Elfman's score and the temp tracks used during editing?

The VFX would have to be started from scratch (and as far as I know, it hasn't been). Everything from Snyder's version of the movie has been deleted for a long time, so it's not just a matter of getting a thousand artists to pick up someone else's half-complete work from two years ago and bring it over the finish line. Since this would be insanely expensive do to for a third time, would Snyder have to pick and choose which shots and sequences to go back to, and which are "close enough"?

I don't think The Snyder Cut really exists in the way people think it does, and the work required to bring one into existence doesn't seem like it would be worth it for a movie that most people already decided sucked 2 years ago. At best, there might be a workprint version released as a bonus feature on the 20th anniversary 16K Hyperdisc, but I doubt it'll ever exist as a real movie.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

teagone posted:

It's definitely an interesting topic. Though, a goon argued that the reason Avatar never had any lasting cultural impact was because there were no immediate sequels to keep the film relevant — compare that to say, the LOTR trilogy, Harry Potter movies, the Star Wars trilogies, The Matrix trilogy, etc. It'll have been over 10 years since Avatar came out. Closest comparison I can think of relating to lasting impact would be Tron and Tron: Legacy I guess? Different time/era though, so probably not a good comparison lol.

I think you're onto something. Most of the things with devoted, performative fandoms are things with, at least, multiple entries, usually a recent one, even if the recent one is bad. This goes for games and books, too. people dress up as harry potter and master chief, but not Gordon Freeman

Cythereal posted:

Avatar made me root for the bad guys because the bad guys' acting had charisma and personality, and the good guys were dull as dishwater. And for me, at least, there comes a point at which preaching and moral messages starts to drastically backfire out of spite towards the person or people delivering the message.

I think you might just be a bad person, dog.

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

I’m not sure goons are the best at predicting how much money a movie’s going to make. I remember there were definitely a bunch of people here who were totally sure Avatar was going to bomb.

It was a common point of discussion. Back when I was on the IMDB movie boards, there was a dude called 'JamesCameronSucks' that wrote literally thousands upon thousands of words about how Avatar was terrible and was going to flop, in separate posts. He did this for loving years. Like, he started in 2007 or so, and was still doing it a couple of years after the movie had come out. But even outside of genuinely insane people like that, people smugly predicted its failure for a long time.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Apr 3, 2019

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Zack Snyder claims there is a finished cut of the film and we know there are shots with incomplete visual effects and some with first or second pass effect - like things that appeared in promotional material that didn't appear in the final film. I don't think there's any reason to not believe the guy when he says it exists.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The MSJ posted:

This is turning out to be really loving interesting. Good video, thanks for recommending it. Thoroughly enjoying it at the moment.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

teagone posted:

It'll probably get an IMAX re-release this year I'm guessing, for its 10th anniversary and maybe to gauge interest after a potential Avatar 2 teaser drops at SDCC in July. If it does, I definitely recommend to see it in IMAX 3D.

Avatar and How to Train Your Dragon are both excellent cinematic experiences and use their format as well as Lawrence of Arabia and Gone with the Wind did. A huge thing 99.9 percent of people miss and what made them so good at the time. Always take advantage of the experience.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I fully expect the Snyder Cut to happen but not for another 18 years. It'll be similar to the Superman 2 Donner cut from over a decade ago. That'll be enough time for attitudes to change it be cheap enough to release from the Disney vault.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'll cop to thinking Avengers would be a disaster because it looked like poo poo.

I officially stopped predicting what the first flop of the MCU would be when my like third guess was Ant-Man 1 and it still made a gazillion.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Jimbot posted:

Zack Snyder claims there is a finished cut of the film and we know there are shots with incomplete visual effects and some with first or second pass effect - like things that appeared in promotional material that didn't appear in the final film. I don't think there's any reason to not believe the guy when he says it exists.

He might have been satisfied with the state of the edit when he left, but it's nowhere close to being in a releasable state without a lot of work. There were certainly a number of shots from the trailers that were up to a "trailer final" level of quality, but it was only those shots.
Unless it's about a month before a movie comes out, any shots you see in a trailer have been scrambled together in a few weeks while all the other shots in the movie are put on the back burner, and then when the trailer is done, those shots need to be updated to fit the context of the surrounding shots as they become more complete.

When Snyder left the movie, a lot of our work was still being animated and had only very basic lighting renders with little to no FX simulations or compositing, and some of it was still using previs as placeholders. If they released whatever compressed quicktime version of the Snyder cut they happen to have on a hard drive somewhere, it wouldn't look that much better than the Wolverine workprint that leaked in 2009.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I made a Shazam! thread. It took me 5 minutes to write, I hope it takes 5 minutes to read.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Robot Style posted:

He might have been satisfied with the state of the edit when he left, but it's nowhere close to being in a releasable state without a lot of work. There were certainly a number of shots from the trailers that were up to a "trailer final" level of quality, but it was only those shots.
Unless it's about a month before a movie comes out, any shots you see in a trailer have been scrambled together in a few weeks while all the other shots in the movie are put on the back burner, and then when the trailer is done, those shots need to be updated to fit the context of the surrounding shots as they become more complete.

When Snyder left the movie, a lot of our work was still being animated and had only very basic lighting renders with little to no FX simulations or compositing, and some of it was still using previs as placeholders. If they released whatever compressed quicktime version of the Snyder cut they happen to have on a hard drive somewhere, it wouldn't look that much better than the Wolverine workprint that leaked in 2009.

Adding new VFX is basically the easiest part of filmmaking to do after the fact, though, provided the groundwork for it already exists (and it sounds like it all does). If they release it, I highly doubt they'll just release what they already have; they'll touch it up and make it look nice first, because there's very clearly enough demand for that to be worth the cost (also, y'know, JL was a pretty big embarrassment for them and "hey there was actually a good movie hiding here" is a good way to turn that around).

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Wolverine CG cut is the best version of that abortion.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Dom made a Dragged Across Concrete/The Highwaymen video but I don't think anything represents the video as well as this thumbnail
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-n8IylIh_U

E: this was supposed to be in the critics thread, I don't know how it ended up here

I Before E fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Vintersorg posted:

Wolverine CG cut is the best version of that abortion.

This is very true.

The claws in the farmhouse bathroom being almost the exact same in the final cut is the best thing. It was like Who Framed Roger Rabbit?