Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ManSedan posted:

One of my biggest problems with 13 was that everything was visually overdesigned.

You will take the clocks all have 13 hours on them from my cold dead hands as the offhand reference to that and upgraded clock design in lightning returns is one of my favorite little touches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

HD DAD posted:

I remember one interview circa ‘09-ish where they had one designer working on a single rock for three days, without a hint of self awareness over how insane that is.

Hey. That was a very pretty rock.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The feet inside shoes characters cant take off are fully modeled.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Are there barefoot mods?

Asking for a friend

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

HD DAD posted:

I remember one interview circa ‘09-ish where they had one designer working on a single rock for three days, without a hint of self awareness over how insane that is.

wasn't that for XIV and not XIII?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

XIV was the one with the barrel with a ridiculous amount of polygons.

Remember when Square could pump out a genre-defining game every year or two?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

What are square's genre defining games? How long did that period last?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I'm a big fan of Seifer's character and summing him up earlier on another forum I wrote "Heroes don't need plans." And Seifer does have a lot in common with Snow.

But what really got me thinking was Squall. Continuing the XIII talk, Squall is basically a proto-Lightning insofar as they are both harsh and introverted because they think that's what "adults" are supposed to be. They have both "grown up wrong" and live ideals of maturity that are staggeringly unhealthy.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Apr 3, 2019

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

What are square's genre defining games? How long did that period last?

FF6 and 7 were three years apart, but after that they got 8, 9, and 10 out all within like a four year period, with Kingdom Hearts coming out a year later. In between 6 and 7, they were also making Chrono Trigger and Super Mario RPG.

The 90s were a busy time for them

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

morallyobjected posted:

FF6 and 7 were three years apart, but after that they got 8, 9, and 10 out all within like a four year period, with Kingdom Hearts coming out a year later. In between 6 and 7, they were also making Chrono Trigger and Super Mario RPG.

The 90s were a busy time for them

And during the PSX times they got some cult classics out, like Legend of Mana, SaGa Frontier, Chrono Cross, and Xenogears. I'm sure I missed a few notables as well.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'd say Square was genre defining up until X, after which they abruptly stopped.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Does the rock top Sonic Unleashed's lovingly rendered sandwich.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

morallyobjected posted:

No, the rock was XIII.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
this quest where the black chocobo steals ignis' glasses is so loving rear end

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

No, the rock was XIII.

yeah, sorry, Mega reminded me I was thinking of the barrel in XIV that had as many polygons as a player character

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

NikkolasKing posted:

So I'm a big fan of Seifer's character and summing him up earlier on another forum I wrote "Her doesn't need plans." And Seifer does have a lot in common with Snow.

But what really got me thinking was Squall. Continuing the XIII talk, Squall is basically a proto-Lightning insofar as they are both harsh and introverted because they think that's what "adults" are supposed to be. They have both "grown up wrong" and live ideals of maturity that are staggeringly unhealthy.

When I was playing through FF8 recently, I kept on hearing Seifer lines as read by Troy Baker (voice of Snow and Kanji). Which fits since Seifer is a lot like both of them at times.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I thought the rock thing was XV

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

yeah

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I thought you all were joking about the barrel and the rock but I just looked it up and it's loving real :psyduck:

I have so many questions but I'm not sure anyone can provide answers beyond "SQUARE-ENIX!"

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Why they waste so much time on a rock when they have chapters in XV that literally just them arriving in a random dungeon and then going back to a train. When I played through XV, the parts of the game after the island country felt like Xenogears disc 2. And I heard it was even worst on the pre-Royal Edition.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

morallyobjected posted:

Help Im Alive posted:

This is Square Enix we're talking about, it could very well be all three.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rirse posted:

Why they waste so much time on a rock when they have chapters in XV that literally just them arriving in a random dungeon and then going back to a train. When I played through XV, the parts of the game after the island country felt like Xenogears disc 2. And I heard it was even worst on the pre-Royal Edition.

The game was already delayed after their big public announcement of the release date. They just didn't have the time and there were project management issues.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

ImpAtom posted:

The game was already delayed after their big public announcement of the release date. They just didn't have the time and there were project management issues.

I have been over this in detail but the absolute best summary of the FFXV situation is that it's a cavalcade of hosed up from top to bottom and the question isn't really how it messed up, but how it even came out functional.

Like... It's a multilayered vineyard fuckpile of FFXIV nonsense, FFXIII nonsense, Nomura being stupidly busy and on like 8 different projects, and Tabata essentially coming in to get the game out no matter the cost.

Like there's no point of this where you go "Well, if the only X" didn't happen, you'd need to erase like 10 years of Square Enix and say "if only none of that happened."

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
If you wanna go even further back, FFXIII started its development hell in 2004, when XII was still in its own limbo (it was delayed by 2 years).

Just a colossal chain reaction of poo poo running into each other.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

I seem to recall watching a video of an artist working on XV taking pictures of a rock and then rendering them in 3D. It did seem like a lot of effort for a rock but I don't know if it took them 3 days to do.
Edit: There's also this video, which isn't the one I saw.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwng-2-IWEQ

Eighties ZomCom fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Apr 3, 2019

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

EvilTaytoMan posted:

I seem to recall watching a video of an artist working on XV taking pictures of a rock and then rendering them in 3D. It did seem like a lot of effort for a rock but I don't know if it took them 3 days to do.

Eh, that's a valid approach - the reason that Vanishing of Ethan Carter's graphics were so incredibly spectacular back in 2014 is that all of the assets in the game were generated via photogrammetry - basically going out into the real world, taking a bunch of reference photos of a target object in 360 degrees, and algorithmically processing those into an automatically generated model and texture which is then manually refined. It gives results that tend to avoid the things that we subconsciously pick up on as unreal.

I don't know if they were actually doing that for XV, or if they just want and took a bunch of photos of a rock to stare at while they modelled.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Apr 3, 2019

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
the transition from the aranaea dungeon to the power plant mission where you get gladio back is so abrupt and weird, as was his departure in the first place. i know it's where the dlc takes place, doesnt help. the writing (outside of da boyz interactions) and direction in this game is so bad

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

MikeJF posted:

I'd say Square was genre defining up until X, after which they abruptly stopped.

XI literally ruined everything. But I still loved that insane, lovely game.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Bregor posted:

Actually it was Spirits Within that ruined everything. It led to the merger with Enix, and subsequent development gridlock from then on.

Spirits Within also started work in 1997 as a response to the success of FFVII.

Basically, it’s FFVII’s fault.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

And during the PSX times they got some cult classics out, like Legend of Mana, SaGa Frontier, Chrono Cross, and Xenogears. I'm sure I missed a few notables as well.

The 90s were such a great time for jrpgs

Barudak
May 7, 2007

HD DAD posted:

Actually it was Spirits Within that ruined everything. It led to the merger with Enix, and subsequent development gridlock from then on.

Isnt this backwards? The merger with Enix was in the works but derailed because of Spirits Within which left Square wandering the wilderness and needing huge loans and investment by other businesses to stay afloat. It took FFX blowing the doors off of sales expectations and righting the Square ship and letting them get back control of the company for Enix to want to get back to merging.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Bregor posted:

XI did a couple of things: it gave them gently caress you money and it realigned the game towards designing parties instead of just watching the story. 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 all didn't have a job system. The sphere grid stuff in 10 was the most in-depth character customization of those 5 games, and people have shown that it's basically actually just linear progression.

Then 11 came out and made them so much loving money they started doing crazy CG poo poo in their games since the movie thing wasn't exactly planning out and emboldening them to take as long as they want on projects. But unlike other long-development games, they have no sense of overall direction and need to keep getting reconfigured after the fact by a director who isn't crazy.

More importantly they've since all had their own versions of a job system which has been nice imo. Except XV I guess.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

NikkolasKing posted:

Sorry nobody helped out here

*advice*

Thank you for the advice! I just got finished playing X-2 and I liked the whole sidequesting aspect of it even though a lot of it felt kind of meaningless/weirdly implemented at the end of the day.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Vichan posted:

Thank you for the advice! I just got finished playing X-2 and I liked the whole sidequesting aspect of it even though a lot of it felt kind of meaningless/weirdly implemented at the end of the day.

Honestly I find the side content in XIII-2 far more fun, entertaining and also rewarding than in X-2 so I hope you like the game.

To me, XIII-2 felt like they threw everything at a wall to see what would stick. It makes for a very interesting game full of a bunch of components you won't see in most Ff's.

Another big contrast with XIII is I heard the XIII localization was incredibly literal and stiff and it puts a lot of people off. XIII-2 feels a lot more...relaxed and informal? I dunno how to describe it. In any event the voice-actors do an amazing job, even if I've grown very tired of Laura Bailey. Jason Marsden's Noel makes up for it though, I wish I heard him in more things. The only other video game I can think of with him is Boone in Fallout New Vegas and talk about night and day roles.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

there was a voice line about aranea giving me her spear, that never happened. and then when i went off road to avoid some demons later, she appeared in a drop ship to fight the demons with me? did i somehow fugue and forget some plot development? or is this game just poo poo?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Relin posted:

there was a voice line about aranea giving me her spear, that never happened. and then when i went off road to avoid some demons later, she appeared in a drop ship to fight the demons with me? did i somehow fugue and forget some plot development? or is this game just poo poo?

No, Aranea goes from enemy to friend in like .5 seconds.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

FFXV's (not vXIII) actual development is the nuttiest thing in the world when you step back and realize that it was Tabata and co getting dumped on their lap the demand to make a big modern AAA game that could spearhead a big multimedia campaign, but also make it really fast and copy the surface-level of an old canceled project because they just needed to cash in on all those years of CG mockup hype.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

ImpAtom posted:

No, Aranea goes from enemy to friend in like .5 seconds.

Probably upset about what they did to Jared

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

Motto posted:

FFXV's (not vXIII) actual development is the nuttiest thing in the world when you step back and realize that it was Tabata and co getting dumped on their lap the demand to make a big modern AAA game that could spearhead a big multimedia campaign, but also make it really fast and copy the surface-level of an old canceled project because they just needed to cash in on all those years of CG mockup hype.

Is there any Longform Dissection Article Of Importance like that recent Kotaku Anthem piece, but for anything Square Enix has done?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The President of Square Enix one day called a drunken Nasir and asked him to spout out random snippets of code, and that is how Final Fantasy XV finally came out in a playable state.