Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Equeen posted:

the hot takes on twitter are also pretty :eyepoop:

I love how precious people are about the comic book poo poo. I am continuing to develop my "illuminated manuscripts" theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Christ they're reaching for the Oscars on this one

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Joker looks real good and got me interested in a film I was pretty much ignoring and had no hopes for. I recently saw "Her" and had forgotten how good Phoenix is so consider me intrigued. Looks like a mishmash of Taxi Driver and The King of Comedy but I'm having a hard time finding a problem with that idea.

Having this and now Shazam has sort of rekindled in my interest in comic based films.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Guy A. Person posted:

Where do I go to disrespect this person

THE DC COMIC NERDS on Facebook. I just scanned the comments, and people are currently saying "what about Killing Joke" giving him easy ah-has because it still does with general Batman continuity and specifically points out that that still might not be his origin. Missing the point that the point is the story itself as opposed to how it fits into some dumb continuity.

Darko fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 3, 2019

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

DorianGravy posted:

If the first thing you think of when you see that trailer is the N-word, you should probably take a walk outside or something. Just engage in conversations like a normal person.

I think it's pretty natural to think about that joker saying the N word after how many times he's threatened to do it

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Darko posted:

THE DC COMIC NERDS on Facebook. I just scanned the comics, and people are currently saying "what about Killing Joke" giving him easy ah-has because it still does with general Batman continuity and specifically points out that that still might not be his origin. Missing the point that the point is the story itself as opposed to how it fits into some dumb continuity.

Also the Killing Joke is all about the meta narrative between Batman and Joker and how they'll never be able to escape being eternal comic book rivals because it doesn't matter what realizations they make, the next writer will set the status quo back to what it was

Doesn't quite work in a movie

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

canon is a brain poison

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Edit: wrong thread

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Brother Entropy posted:

canon is a brain poison

I loving hate comicbook readers crying about NOT MY ________

It's annoying and makes these movies poo poo. Who gives a crap what they did.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Daddy Thanos posted:

Man, come on.

you can do better than this

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Burkion posted:

Man, come on.

you can do better than this

Sorry I meant to post it in the Avengers thread

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

gently caress off with this unfunny gimmick poo poo.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Okay, I had a chance to watch the Joker trailer, and it looked pretty amazing to me. I am really excited for this movie.

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Vintersorg posted:

gently caress off with this unfunny gimmick poo poo.

What do you think my gimmick is

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Daddy Thanos posted:

BotL v.2

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Daddy Thanos isn't a gimmick.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's super loving funny seeing people complain this isn't -accurate- because the whole thing about the Joker is that he specifically doesn't have any consistency in his origin story. It's standard in the comics now for him to have multiple contradictory ones with the implication that while he makes them up for fun, he himself isn't entirely sure what his past is.

This basically results in a character that you can do pretty much anything with.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

You can't do anything with fictional characters. You can only do what was done before.You can only do what's in my headcanon.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

“How dare they ignore canon!”

“I agree, summer romp Ant-Man was sorely missing a subplot of Hank Pym beating his wife.”

“No not like that.”

“And Civil War definitely should have addressed Tony Stark’s crippling alcoholism.”

“No, you’re - “

“Just lmao at Winston Duke being called “M’Baku” instead of Man-Ape in Black Panther, cultural sensitivities be damned.”

“That’s not what I - “

“Absurd that they didn’t include the Scarlet Witch/Quicksilver incest angle in a cinematic universe largely rooted in the Ultimate imprint.”

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Daddy Thanos posted:

You're obviously some parachute account because it's some new account with gangtags and everything setup. It's some weird comicbook posting thing.

And hey, if youre legit just a new person then that's egg on my face.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

To be fair, Tony Starks alcoholism was covered in the Iron Man films.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I have less of a problem with it looking accurate to anything than just looking ponderous and bad

otoh at least it'll be different and if you're gonna go melodramatic and over the top, might as well have Phoenix doing it.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Yeah as in he was faking it to hand his backup suit to Rhodes in a convoluted "Im smarter than everyone" way as opposed to Disney actually confronting alcohol abuse in their comic movie.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I said come in! posted:

I mean he got drunk in IM2, and then made a martini while talking to Loki in Avengers. “Comic accurate” would have had Rhodes be the main character of IM3 in the title role.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The most clever thing done in that regard is just the casting of RDJ, that alone implied a substance abuse recovery story past without having to make it explicit.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The most clever thing done in that regard is just the casting of RDJ, that alone implied a substance abuse recovery story past without having to make it explicit.

Because that's great movie making

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I mean that's way better than them trying to mangle a story about alcoholism in a Disney movie.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

I mean that's way better than them trying to mangle a story about alcoholism in a Disney movie.

Itd amount to something like, "I did all 12 steps in a day thanks to my sobrium compound!"

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

My point was more about how fanboys don’t say poo poo about canon when it comes to the MCU.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Here’s my hot take on the Joker trailer: it uses the exact same typeface as the trailer for Fincher’s The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, which is the best movie trailer ever made, and I couldn’t stop thinking about that and getting disappointed instead.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

The MSJ posted:

All Jokers are gamers.

Depending on my mood any particular day, this meme can trigger the gently caress out of me.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

I am curious how deeply Joker is going to dip its toe into the source material, though. The trailer is grounded in such a way that seeing Arkham or Thomas Wayne is a little odd (but not in a bad way necessarily). Like if the entire movie is this character piece only to have Phoenix flee into a chemical processing plant at the end and get knocked into an acid vat by an amorphous, terrifying shape, that could be pretty cool.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Or they don't have to do the whole "falls into chemicals" bit.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Davros1 posted:

Or they don't have to do the whole "falls into chemicals" bit.

They don’t have to do anything. I don’t really give a poo poo about canon. I’m saying I personally think it would be interesting to have such a grounded take segway into something more cartoonish at the end.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I allowed myself to respond to one of those "Joker shouldn't have an origin story" canon people. They were listing Batman films and saying The Animated Series did it right, and that's why Mask of the Phantasm is the best Batman movie.

I'm like, oh, the movie that showed that the Joker was a low level thug named Jack Napier? Who later fell into a chemical vat in one of the highest rated episodes, "Mad Love?"

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

I said come in! posted:

Daddy Thanos isn't a gimmick.

True. He's a cancer.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Daddy Thanos posted:

Thanana

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Fart City posted:

They don’t have to do anything. I don’t really give a poo poo about canon. I’m saying I personally think it would be interesting to have such a grounded take segway into something more cartoonish at the end.

I only want them to do the chemical vat stuff if he crawls out as a dead on impression of Cesar Romero's Joker and for the last 20 minutes of the movie he's running around as this completely harmless goofball.

Eventually Batman closes in and punches him and there's a big onscreen "BLAMMO!" graphic that transitions into the credits.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Flying Zamboni posted:

I only want them to do the chemical vat stuff if he crawls out as a dead on impression of Cesar Romero's Joker and for the last 20 minutes of the movie he's running around as this completely harmless goofball.

Eventually Batman closes in and punches him and there's a big onscreen "BLAMMO!" graphic that transitions into the credits.

Sir, actual humor is verboten in this Joker movie :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Joker will kill himself at the end of the film