Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Groetgaffel posted:

Diogo is a smug poo poo and seeing him get owned is a source of great pleasure in my life.

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Phi230 posted:

hmmm he says a man should stand up but lives in 0g where there is no up!!!!! very interesting!

Someone needs to do this but with Belters.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Groetgaffel posted:

Diogo is a smug poo poo and seeing him get owned is a source of great pleasure in my life.

Imagine how he would be nowadays in the internet. He'd probably post about his tattoos on reddit and show off about how many followers he has on Twitter.
Good thing space can keep that dick contained.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Kaedric posted:

If I had any complaint about the show, it's Diogo's character. He started out as a kid on the wrong side of the law, then encountered Miller and turned a new leaf (of sorts) after Miller let him go. Having him fall in with the more radical belters is fine I guess, but I feel like they just erased any growth he had and just turned him into a generic bad-guy goon.

Would have been better if he hadn't died and they could clean that up a bit. As it is I feel like his character felt a bit flat. Ignore elevator pun.

Diogo's character is probably the best example on TV of the radicalization of young men to extremist ideology and behavior.

The fact that the Belter cause overall is a good one doesn't mean his wholeheartedly (gleefully, even) embracing becoming a thug that carries out extrajudicial murder of anyone his superiors deem 'enemies' is a good thing.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

Fister Roboto posted:

Uh, bottom left panel??

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

Uncle Mateo was the real hero.

Where is the hell is the belter version of classic rock hits?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Diogo's character is probably the best example on TV of the radicalization of young men to extremist ideology and behavior.

The fact that the Belter cause overall is a good one doesn't mean his wholeheartedly (gleefully, even) embracing becoming a thug that carries out extrajudicial murder of anyone his superiors deem 'enemies' is a good thing.

On top of that he was trying to kill belters like Naomi and Drummer. Fitting that he's killed by a belter as well.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

they still have loss in the expanse?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Turns out the Indian Military is a fan of The Expanse as well

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

NTRabbit posted:

Turns out the Indian Military is a fan of The Expanse as well

God that thing makes me so angry. NASA estimates a 44% increase in the space station being hit by debris thanks to this.

Why yes, please exponentially increase the Kessler syndrome. :bravo:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Groetgaffel posted:

God that thing makes me so angry. NASA estimates a 44% increase in the space station being hit by debris thanks to this.

Why yes, please exponentially increase the Kessler syndrome. :bravo:

their reason was the best though "well the Americans, Russians and Chinese did it!"

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

At least it's low altitude and most of the debris will be down quickly, unlike the Chinese one.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Grand Fromage posted:

At least it's low altitude and most of the debris will be down quickly, unlike the Chinese one.

Here's hoping, because this kind of poo poo terrifies me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS1ibDImAYU

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Captain Splendid posted:

Here's hoping, because this kind of poo poo terrifies me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS1ibDImAYU

Christ, it's depressing how whatever we touch nowadays is at risk to become a junkyard at first and then a danger for ourselves afterwards.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Only tangentially Expanse related, but depression inducing. I had recommended the show to a friend only to find out the reason he doesn't like sci-fi is because he's gone full Human Extinction Movement. Like, his ideal future is one where we all lay down and die and the Earth reclaims out artifice. Everything we've made, all the suffering everyone has endured for each other, should just be mopped up and a wild, civilization-free world should be left behind until the sun cremates it. ...I don't know what to say to someone for whom progress of any kind is objectionable.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Grand Fromage posted:

A whole bunch of fragments got kicked up high enough to pass above the ISS.
Granted, the perigee of those fragments are presumably still fairly low, but it could still be years before they deorbit.

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Only tangentially Expanse related, but depression inducing. I had recommended the show to a friend only to find out the reason he doesn't like sci-fi is because he's gone full Human Extinction Movement. Like, his ideal future is one where we all lay down and die and the Earth reclaims out artifice. Everything we've made, all the suffering everyone has endured for each other, should just be mopped up and a wild, civilization-free world should be left behind until the sun cremates it. ...I don't know what to say to someone for whom progress of any kind is objectionable.

How about "goodbye"

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Groetgaffel posted:

How about "goodbye"
Yeah, the genuine belief that the best thing for humanity is extinction isn't a sign of mental stability. Don't get me wrong, Rust Cohle was a fantastic character, but I probably wouldn't want that guy to be a big part of my life.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Wow. I'm all onboard for a casual "humanity is a cancer on the earth" every once in a while, but to actually believe that humans should totally go extinct.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Stars are better off without us, tho

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Cojawfee posted:

Wow. I'm all onboard for a casual "humanity is a cancer on the earth" every once in a while, but to actually believe that humans should totally go extinct.

From an objective standpoint, it would probably be for the best, but I do have a vested interest in that not happening.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Stars are better off without us, tho

I look up at the stars and I think, "mine."

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Mu Zeta posted:

I look up at the stars and I think, "mine."

The stars have to look up at you.

Serf
May 5, 2011

ZorajitZorajit posted:

your friend is stuck in some 90s mindset poo poo. the 10s issue is whether we can avoid dying.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Death owns lmao gonna die HISTORIC on the interstate 4

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

ZorajitZorajit posted:

The stars have to look up at you.

The stars are my destination

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Tell him to go first

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Tighclops posted:

Tell him to go first

Easy to tell other people to die, harder to have the courage to :airquote: live :airquote: in that belief system...

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tighclops posted:

Tell him to go first

That sounds more like the belief of a person who will start with other people.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've had some really weird and heated arguments with "dark green primitivists" who think humanity should either go extinct or regress to a "pre-technology" stone age existence and that farming or even fishing or hunting that's too "organized" would constitute civilization and thus technology and thus be bad. Maybe we can pull off living like cave men and never advancing, but it would be much safer and better for humans to just go extinct.

These people love to argue this, online, from their desk in their home.

I'm cynical and hopeless as hell about humanity's future (hell, expanse is downright optimistic), but killing us all now would ensure a 0% chance of us ever forming a worthwhile civilization rather than the maybe 1% we've got going on at the moment.

Also "the stars are better off without us" is pretty silly. Stars don't have feelings, there almost certainly no life in our solar system and probably nothing within range that any human will ever be able to travel into the stars. Some random space rocks ain't going to care if they get mined or some idiots shoot at each other over them.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

That sounds more like the belief of a person who will start with other people.

"The human race doesn't deserve to exist, all humans should go extinct."

"Okay, you go first."

*Gasps* "how dare youuuuu-"

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Tighclops posted:

"Okay, you go first."

Nah, someone needs to be humanity's agent of destruction and for various morale and secretly egocentric reasons this needs to be the guy suggesting it in the first place, even though he has no intention of actually doing so.
It's like magic, only in ethics.

Goons Are Gifts fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 3, 2019

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Goons Are Great posted:

Nah, one needs to its agent of destruction and for various morale and secretly egocentric reasons this needs to be the guy suggesting it in the first place, even though he has no intention of doing so.
It's like magic, only in ethics.

I can't parse this I'm sorry

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
"the stars are better without us" assumes a level of importance that humanity doesn't have

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tighclops posted:

"Okay, you go first."

murder/suicide only works if you do it in that order

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Tighclops posted:

I can't parse this I'm sorry

Sorry, my phone made this very weird.

What I'm saying is, I can't wait for season 4 and am currently rewatching the entire series for that reason.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
wow rude...break my heart, Cara :unsmith:
https://twitter.com/carageeeee/status/1113531521074257921?s=21

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Well, bad news for him-- sex is fun and feels great so humans won't ever stop having babies even if we are choking up our environment to the point of collapse with too many humans.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Okay, look, if I ever get married I'm not going in for any schtick unless my partner was pushing for it.
But I do want to see a beltalowda wedding.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Groetgaffel posted:

A whole bunch of fragments got kicked up high enough to pass above the ISS.
Granted, the perigee of those fragments are presumably still fairly low, but it could still be years before they deorbit.

Hence my use of the word "most" instead of "all". All ASAT tests are bad; the Chinese one was the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

That's loco man.