Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

This but literally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Just give me the chaoskin race from bloatcrawl in gooncrawl, please

They are always under xom religion, can still worship other gods, and have evolving

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Have some dumb ideas that will be impossible to code.

1. You start with a random weapon, random defense (including Stealth), and two random magic skills automatically training. These are your other head's skills and they advance like a Gnoll. You may not untrain them.
2. If confused or mesmerized, your other head takes control and acts like an intelligent AI, using consumables/spells/invocations. You regain control when the status ends.
3. You get an extra spell slot per level, but your other head will attempt to memorize a random spell that you could cast (under a certain failure threshold) when you pick up a spellbook. It will prioritize the other head's chosen skills if possible.
4. You may worship any god. You will still incur any penance or wrath for the actions of your other head. Your other head does not know or care about god conducts, i.e, it will chug a potion of haste while you worship Chei, it will happily learn Necromancy while worshipping TSO, and Trog will happily get mad at you for existing.

redneck nazgul fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 3, 2019

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Meanwhile in actual gameplay, I'm kind of stuck here: https://pastebin.com/wVSWGW6q

Oka's gifts have included no resist gear, 2 animal skins, 2 robes, no armor higher than chain, and no plus greater than 3. So my defense are just okay.

I've cleared Vaults 4 and Depths and I can have either MR+++, rC+, or rN+. Being vulnerable to two of these I can't see doing Elf or Crypt as a Formicid. Zot would be doable but certain situations become super unfun.

I have a vamp triple sword and the Damnation arbalest. I have been wearing gourmand to be able to switch. I have Bloodlust which would solve the MR problem if but I wound need to rebrand vamp.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
I would have said switch to regen amulet to compensate for low resistances but you only have 4 rations. I'd say Abyss-scum at this point.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Sage Grimm posted:

I would have said switch to regen amulet to compensate for low resistances but you only have 4 rations. I'd say Abyss-scum at this point.

Oh but I have plenty of rations in the bountiful food shops in the famous Orc 2 Farmer's Market.

I'm going to take your advice, going to do elf with Vamp, then I have 3 brand scrolls if I don't have a better weapon because yeah about starved swapping to damnation before I got gourmand. I just can't not shoot Jorgrun with hellfire...

edit: perfect, what a great elf 3 vault for a Formicid...

... okay it turns out Damnation one-shots anything in elf that hasn't been knighted.

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 4, 2019

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah in that case I'd say roll the dice on Elf and use the MR+++ to avoid abyssing. Drain etc are totally bad but if you're careful it's more doable than V5

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

bad crawl devs posted:

Scroll of brand armour

Among other problems, boots of running far outstrip any other armour brand, and having this scroll would just mean that you dump it into every pair of boots you find, and usually don't get running anyway (because it's rare). We might as well just increase frequency of boots of running, rather than adding this new item.

The obvious response of "just don't let players get boots of running via branding, brand armor sounds fun though, might be neat for people who desperately need rpois or the like" seems to have missed them entirely

it's the perfect example of them zeroing in on min-maxing competitive play and not thinking for even a second about the benefits of a thing before discarding it

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Scaramouche posted:

Yeah in that case I'd say roll the dice on Elf and use the MR+++ to avoid abyssing. Drain etc are totally bad but if you're careful it's more doable than V5

I FORGOT TO DO SWAMP

also:

pre:
 w - a +1 triple sword of protection (weapon)
   (You took it off a deep elf death mage on level 3 of the Elven Halls)
 57113 | Elf:3    | Identified the +5 scale mail of Masochism {rN+++ MR- rCorr Str+4 Slay+4} (You found it on level 3 of the Elven Halls)
 57217 | Elf:3    | Identified the ring "Doluucw" {Wiz +Fly rPois rC+} (You took it off a deep elf death mage on level 3 of the Elven Halls)

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Apr 4, 2019

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

GeneX posted:

The obvious response of "just don't let players get boots of running via branding, brand armor sounds fun though, might be neat for people who desperately need rpois or the like" seems to have missed them entirely

it's the perfect example of them zeroing in on min-maxing competitive play and not thinking for even a second about the benefits of a thing before discarding it
Seriously. I wonder if they'd use the same logic to argue against brand weapon if it was just being proposed now. (Especially since I'm pretty sure BW can't give you antimagic, which is something non-Trog chars would really want from it if you could get it)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Araganzar posted:

I FORGOT TO DO SWAMP

also:

pre:
 w - a +1 triple sword of protection (weapon)
   (You took it off a deep elf death mage on level 3 of the Elven Halls)
 57113 | Elf:3    | Identified the +5 scale mail of Masochism {rN+++ MR- rCorr Str+4 Slay+4} (You found it on level 3 of the Elven Halls)
 57217 | Elf:3    | Identified the ring "Doluucw" {Wiz +Fly rPois rC+} (You took it off a deep elf death mage on level 3 of the Elven Halls)
Elf 3 is a death trap but it is a very lucrative death trap.

JfishPirate
Jun 24, 2006
I have been grossly misinformed about witches.

Captainsalami posted:

Why cant we have acid as a spell element for 7 8 and 9 strength poison spells? Not like balance is first and foremost over anything in here over, ya know, things being fun and cool. Not like an acid rain spell that splashes a gently caress ton of acid would be more op than firestorm.

I think this would be a great choice. Gooncrawl is already trending towards having a 9 cost spell for every school (by re-adding Haste and Singularity), so I feel like having Acidic Storm or something similar (Acid Rain, perhaps) would be a fantastic addition.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

PMush Perfect posted:

Elf 3 is a death trap but it is a very lucrative death trap.
Elf 3 really isn't as bad as people make it out to be as long as you have the MR to avoid being banished. I do it before V1-4 sometimes depending on my mood and resist set.

Hang out near the vault entry and slowly lure out as much as you can, and it's pretty safe. The big problems only happen if you're in a situation where you're facing a huge glob of high-tier elves instead of just 1-3 at a time.

ogresque
Mar 27, 2019

by VideoGames
You have a splitting headache!

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Regarding poison magic, I agree that the school is lacking and not satisfying to use. It’s not worthless, like people are making it out to be. Venom mage is a very good start if you know how to play one, but it’s not even the strongest caster background and it doesn’t get any better as the game progresses. However strong your spells might be in the early and mid-game, and OTR, meph cloud and, to a lesser extent, noxious vapors are very strong, it doesn’t make up for feeling like your character’s primary toolset or identity becomes niche at best by the end game. So some new spells need to be added to poison magic.

But I don’t agree with adding high level damage spells. Crawl doesn’t really need more damage types. I don’t think making yellow spells, that do the same thing as red spells or blue spells, but can’t be resisted and debuff enemies would make the game more interesting beyond filling the obvious hole in poison magic’s current design. Filling that hole is good, but should be treated as an opportunity to add more interesting spells, not just a new way to do the same thing as other schools. Powerful high level utility spells would be a perfect fit for poison magic and aren’t hard to imagine. Someone already mentioned the toxic sludge idea, which would be cool. You could also make a poison/air spell that forces flying creatures to land, or take heavy acid damage if they’re over deep water or lava. Or you could make a poison/hexes spell that fires a line of clouds that force an HD based chance for creatures to lose a turn. All of those would be extremely powerful, but much more interesting than just “like firestorm, but yellow.”

ogresque
Mar 27, 2019

by VideoGames
make haste a poison spell

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

But what about "like glaciate, but yellow"?????

ogresque
Mar 27, 2019

by VideoGames
make discord poison

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

MINE EYES CAN BUT WEEP AS THEY BEAR WITNESS TO THE MAJESTY... THE BFG 9000!
Haste as ‘Adrenaline’ - Charms/Poison which poisons you or leaves you rotted or stay-drained or something. Like a Ru power where you get short term benefit for a longer term cost.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I know this isn't the gooncrawl way but if trunk wanted to just cut its losses and remove poison magic I wouldn't shed a tear

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Dual gods are hard because most of the code that checks to see if you worship a god calls a function that returns the god you worship rather than checking to see if you worship a particular god or not. So rather than being able to change a single function to return Yes when asked if someone worships Chei or Trog, you have to go in to the jillion places that do the check and change them instead.

The easiest stuff to implement duplicates existing features that might be cool in a new context or which are underutilized. For example, applying curare is easy because there's already a simple call to apply curare. However, one runs the risk of taking something cool and rare and making it less cool and less rare. For example, having a curare spell might detract from the joy of using 2 inventory slots to carry a blowgun and curare for the entire game and then never shooting it once.

FYI the function that keeps track of gods' reactions to various conducts is called peeve_map divine_peeves. Example: { DID_CANNIBALISM, RUDE_CANNIBALISM_RESPONSE }

It's a shame, the game name really should be Dungeon Crawl Rude Cannibalism Response.

I've been randomly popping into FDFE games and posting this link for the player:

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
As a fan of conjuring through 15 runes I do to want an acid firestorm.

ogresque
Mar 27, 2019

by VideoGames
ring of acid

ogresque
Mar 27, 2019

by VideoGames
mercurial venom: brands your attacks w causes frenzy

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
I have a serious game-breaking bug report.

Every time I click on the chat input box I get this:

And if I click that it puts "what does pie" in the box. That sounds like something I might have said so maybe this is autofill voodoo or something?

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

cheetah7071 posted:

I know this isn't the gooncrawl way but if trunk wanted to just cut its losses and remove poison magic I wouldn't shed a tear

Years ago, in response to the standardized dev response about poison magic’s design, somebody replied that if poison magic were proposed as a new feature with its current design, it would never be accepted. OTR, meph cloud and ignite poison are interesting and that’s about it. Those could easily be converted to other schools and poison just removed. Gooncrawl should absolutely add new poison spells, though, since Crawl really needs to try weird, new ideas more, even if those don’t work out perfectly.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Putting the poison spells in other schools and then putting the weird new spells in those schools, as well, is also cool. Having four elemental schools is kinda too much already, like who cares whether it's ice or air, just let me use the cool spells if I train spells.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Araganzar posted:

I have a serious game-breaking bug report.

Every time I click on the chat input box I get this:

And if I click that it puts "what does pie" in the box. That sounds like something I might have said so maybe this is autofill voodoo or something?

Poison Spell: What Does Pie

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Robe wearing INT builds have enough level 8-9 capstone spells to cast.

Poison is more interesting as a hybrid style school where spells are situational but punch above their level (Parrow is surprisingly strong and versatile on a 3-rune run). What it needs is something to fill the gap left from when poison cloud was removed for being redundant with/less interesting than ice cloud.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Yeah that's some chrome autofill weirdness. Because google can't help but intrude suggestions into every possible box

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

did gooncrawl's megabyss make the rune less likely to spawn on a:3 or lower level abyss floors generally or something? not like i have a wealth of evidence but it seems like it's taking an inordinately long time

e: in multiple games i've spectated, too, or i would just assume bad luck

someone awful. fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Apr 4, 2019

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Microcline posted:

Robe wearing INT builds have enough level 8-9 capstone spells to cast.

Poison is more interesting as a hybrid style school where spells are situational but punch above their level (Parrow is surprisingly strong and versatile on a 3-rune run). What it needs is something to fill the gap left from when poison cloud was removed for being redundant with/less interesting than ice cloud.

Poison geyser. Ground-targetted, does nothing for a turn or two and then erupts, causing scattered poison fumes and leaving a puddle behind that acts like shallow water, except it also poisons you if you splash around in it. You can't cast another until the first has gone off. The size of the pool improves with spell power.

For a lower level or at least simpler version, just make the pool. For a higher level, alternate school spell that uses the same targeter code, make a fire/earth volcano that sprays rocks and smoke, or a fire/poison fumarole that has fire clouds mixed in.

Edit: I kind of like the fumarole. An explosion of smoke and poison clouds, with some of the smoke becoming fire clouds at high spellpower, out of a poison puddle. If the eruption code didn't work, you could still make a Fumarole spell that was just the mixed clouds.

Double edit: though I haven't hardly played in several versions, even if I am starting to come back for gooncrawl, so maybe I'm not the best source. I definitely should not be trusted for balance.

Prism fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Apr 4, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Filling that hole is good, but should be treated as an opportunity to add more interesting spells, not just a new way to do the same thing as other schools.
On the one hand, I kind of agree, but on the other hand, you can't really blame people for wanting what sounds like an indirect-damage school of magic (what with being all about poisons) to actually be able to do effective damage even at high levels.

If acid storms don't sound interesting enough, there's always the option of giving it little perks like corroding dungeon floors and walls where it is used. Not enough to really be useful for something specific, but enough to give it a feel of an identity of its own. Fire Storm has its vortexes, so this isn't outside the bounds of what's appropriate for the level.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Cardiovorax posted:

On the one hand, I kind of agree, but on the other hand, you can't really blame people for wanting what sounds like an indirect-damage school of magic (what with being all about poisons) to actually be able to do effective damage even at high levels.

That's actually a very good point. I would still hesitate to add high level damage spells, since there's a ton of room for creative utility spells, whereas most of the design space for damage spells is already occupied. Perhaps the prevalence of rPois could be adjusted? That would likely make meph cloud overpowered, but one spell needing to be adjusted is an acceptable cost for saving an entire school of magic. Or certain existing spells could just ignore rPois, but not poison immunity. OTR seems like a good candidate for that. Or if we add damage spells, they could be mid-level spells.

If, say, demons, black mambas, hydras, ice and fire dragons all lost rPois and we got a mid-level acid spell, that would make poison much more relevant throughout the game (Parrow would still be good even in extended). I thought about stealing antipathetic field from Pillars of Eternity as a mid level poison spell in Crawl. You target an enemy, and everything in a line between you and it takes acid damage for a few turns. The damage could be lowish and it would still be a powerful spell. Then we could add some mid-high level utility spells to poison to keep it as a hybrid school that offers good, but situational damage and powerful control options. That would fit the feel most players are likely to associate with the name "poison magic", while keeping it unique and interesting.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

someone awful. posted:

did gooncrawl's megabyss make the rune less likely to spawn on a:3 or lower level abyss floors generally or something? not like i have a wealth of evidence but it seems like it's taking an inordinately long time

e: in multiple games i've spectated, too, or i would just assume bad luck

The chance should be the same as trunk for a:1 to a:5, and everything after a:5 should have a:5's chance. If it's appearing less often, it's either consistent bad luck like always with the abyss, or the increased item gen after a:5 is loving with vault placement.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Heithinn Grasida posted:

If, say, demons, black mambas, hydras, ice and fire dragons all lost rPois and we got a mid-level acid spell, that would make poison much more relevant throughout the game (Parrow would still be good even in extended). I thought about stealing antipathetic field from Pillars of Eternity as a mid level poison spell in Crawl. You target an enemy, and everything in a line between you and it takes acid damage for a few turns. The damage could be lowish and it would still be a powerful spell. Then we could add some mid-high level utility spells to poison to keep it as a hybrid school that offers good, but situational damage and powerful control options. That would fit the feel most players are likely to associate with the name "poison magic", while keeping it unique and interesting.
This all really sounds perfectly fine to me. I don't have any strong personal preferences on how the problem gets fixed, but it's clear that something needs to be done about it. Has for a long time, really. Making rPois more rare is something I would support, because I always felt that the way it just works differently from standard resistances gimps poison magic in a way that elemental magics don't have to deal with.

A mixture of utility and damage would seem to be the best fit for something like poison magic, I agree with you there. Anything that can be flavoured or thematically fits into the general idea of 'sneaky' would be fine for this. I've always seen stealth, stabbing and poison magic as a thematic trifecta of "sneaky bastard" skills and the way poison magic just isn't actually good at it always rubbed me the wrong way. Stabbing as a separate skill may not exist anymore, but I think poison magic's niche could still lie somewhere in that general direction.

ogresque
Mar 27, 2019

by VideoGames
consider the scenario of waltzing through a group of enemies w wu jian and having them butcher each other in your wake. level 6 hexes/poison w a hd save sounds a neat place to avoid outright clashing w discord

ogresque fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Apr 4, 2019

ogresque
Mar 27, 2019

by VideoGames
make confusing touch a weak permabuff and allow it to apply to maces

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

GeneX posted:

I've been wanting a scroll of brand armour for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

FulsomFrank posted:

I've been wanting a scroll of brand armour for a long time.
Because then hypothetical optimal player might use them to... have fun?

Fake edit: Why do we not call him Theoretical Optimal Man?