Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

KingShibby posted:

Ovals not named Indy are excluded since they don't sell GA because it's all reserved seating iirc
Indy sells both reserved seats and GA because there's so much room for GA in the infield

Also I've never been to Fontana so I'm not sure but I fell like they didn't sell GA to an oval race

From what I saw Fontana didn't really sell anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Proud Christian Mom posted:

From what I saw Fontana didn't really sell anything

General Aversion

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

IOwnCalculus posted:

Portland's parking is also super loving steep, especially for a track that is absurdly easy to get to via light rail and/or rideshare.

Yeah, but just park n ride somewhere along a MAX Yellow Line stop and you're good to go. Or park in the neighborhoods around the Paul Bunyan statue in Kenton and take the MAX from there (I did not tell you to do this I have no idea why you would think this is okay).

Portland parking prices are based on the assumption that you're too dumb to realize Trimet has $5 day passes that cover all forms of transit to/from anywhere.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Portland, adding paddock to regular tickets for the weekend gets a bit spendy. The arguably better deal there is the gold tickets (i.e. inside of T1) that include paddock access for the whole weekend.

Portland's parking is also super loving steep, especially for a track that is absurdly easy to get to via light rail and/or rideshare.

I've only ever driven to Portland because the rail line to the track/Expo Center wasn't there when I was a kid and we moved to suburbs not served by the system later on. Thinking about how I'd get there from home is....no, no way. From memory the paddock required passes even in the death thrall ChampCar days, and it was something IMSA required too in their heyday. I can imagine it's only harder now to run a race.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

dsriggs posted:

Yeah that seems like good value for mo-

oh

To apologize we all got free tickets for the following year, and on the Thursday they made each team send their drivers up 2 by 2 to be interviewed for 15 min. I think I got the entire grid minus Taku to sign my program. (This was before I got press passes obviously, because you don’t ask for autographs if you have one of those)

USGP at Indy was amazing.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/john_andretti/status/1111796672831598592?s=21

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Portland parking prices are based on the assumption that you're too dumb to realize Trimet has $5 day passes that cover all forms of transit to/from anywhere.

Given how few cars I saw in the parking lot relative to the crowd size, I'd say most people figured it out.

I flew in and between that parking price and the cost of renting a car, just went with rideshare / light rail everywhere. It was awesome and cost way less than even just the track parking would have.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

RA has free parking, but it also has a lot more space compared to most tracks, and it's also a good 70-80 minutes north of Milwaukee.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

IOwnCalculus posted:

Given how few cars I saw in the parking lot relative to the crowd size, I'd say most people figured it out.

I flew in and between that parking price and the cost of renting a car, just went with rideshare / light rail everywhere. It was awesome and cost way less than even just the track parking would have.

Trimet is actually pretty loving nice. I used to park and ride for concerts and Blazers games, tho as a small woman with a funny haircut, I tend not to do that alone anymore. Buses tend to be troublesome, but the MAX light rail and the street cars are generally on time and go to the important areas (PIR, Moda Center, my office, the airport).

If anyone is headed to the Portland GP this year and needs a local guide, hit me up. I'm not a native, but I've been here long enough to know the good poo poo. One of my close friends used to live near the Expo Center, so we know all the good restaurants near the track.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

IOwnCalculus posted:

For my case, we hosed up and passed the line on the 5 so had to go the other way, but we found some people parking on a dirt embankment across the street so didn't have to pay for any parking at all.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
Pace car for the 103rd Running was unveiled today

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

That is a very sexy car.
Maroon and white just makes it look better, whoop

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
For those that don't check the OP

Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama Fast Facts

Race Weekend: Friday, April 5 - Sunday, April 7
Super Sperg Weekend Schedule

Track: Barber Motorsports Park, a 17-turn, 2.38-mile permanent road course in Birmingham, AL

quote:

The 2.38-mile permanent road course has 17 flowing turns and features 80 feet of elevation change that challenge drivers and engineers. A 45-foot-wide racing ribbon also makes it imperative for patience while setting up overtaking opportunities.

Race Distance: 90 laps / 207 miles

Entry List: Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama (PDF)

Push-to-Pass Parameters: 200 seconds of total time with a maximum time of 20 seconds per activation
Firestone Tire Allotment: Seven sets primary (BLACK), four sets alternate (RED). Teams must use one set of primary and one new set of alternate tires in the race.

Twitter: @BarberMotorPark, @IndyCar, #HIGPA, #INDYCAR
Event Website: https://www.barberracingevents.com

2018 Race Winner: Josef Newgarden (No. 1 Hitachi Team Penske Chevrolet)
2018 Pole Winner: Josef Newgarden (No. 1 Hitachi Team Penske Chevrolet), 1:07.4413, 122.773 mph
Qualifying Record: Sebastien Bourdais, 1:06.6001, 124.324 mph, 4/23/2016

NBCSN Telecasts:
  • Qualifying, 4:00 p.m. ET Saturday, April 6 (live)
  • Race, 4:00 p.m. ET Sunday, April 7 (live)

quote:

Leigh Diffey is the lead announcer for NBCSN alongside analysts Townsend Bell and Paul Tracy. Pit reporters are Marty Snider, Kelli Stavast, Kevin Lee and Robin Miller.

Advance Auto Parts INDYCAR Radio Network Broadcasts:

quote:

Mark Jaynes is the chief announcer alongside analyst Anders Krohn. Jake Query and Nick Yeoman are the turn announcers with Dave Furst, Rob Howden and Ryan Myrehn reporting from the pits. The Firestone Grand Prix of St. Petersburg race airs live on network affiliates, Sirius 216, XM 209, IndyCar.com, indycarradio.com and the INDYCAR Mobile app powered by NTT DATA. All NTT IndyCar Series practices and qualifying are available on IndyCar.com, indycarradio.com and the INDYCAR Mobile app, with qualifying also airing on Sirius 216 and XM 209.

NBC Sports Gold Live Streaming: All NTT IndyCar Series practice sessions and qualifying will stream live on INDYCAR Pass on NBC Sports Gold, NBC Sports' direct-to-consumer live streaming product that will put more INDYCAR programming content at viewers' fingertips than ever before. In addition, full-broadcast, same-day replays of NTT IndyCar Series races, live streams of Indy Lights presented by Cooper Tires races, edited cutdowns of NTT IndyCar Series and Indy Lights races and more will be available.

leet hackers can watch every race here, just set your VPN to Mexico

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

drgitlin posted:

To apologize we all got free tickets for the following year, and on the Thursday they made each team send their drivers up 2 by 2 to be interviewed for 15 min. I think I got the entire grid minus Taku to sign my program. (This was before I got press passes obviously, because you don’t ask for autographs if you have one of those)

USGP at Indy was amazing.

hindsight? How insane was it that IMS had during the 2000's
-NASCAR
-IROC
-F1
-The Indy 500

All running within the same calendar year. With semi-reunifcation occurring from 2000-2002? Could very much be argued that IMS had the best drivers in the world passing through. The ONLY major sanctioning bodies missing would have been WEC/ALMS/Grand Am., WRC, and NHRA (to be FAIR...they did run across town).

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/arrow-schmidt-IndyCar-F1-ericsson/4363752/

quote:

Finding speed in an IndyCar, by ex-F1 racer Marcus Ericsson
Now he’s completed hundreds of laps at Circuit of The Americas in both Formula 1 and IndyCar, Arrow Schmidt Peterson Motorsports driver Marcus Ericsson compares and contrast the techniques required to find ultimate pace. He spoke to David Malsher.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/USACNation/status/1113079597984370688

This is pretty disgraceful and sad.

I wish USAC and IndyCar weren't so disconnected now. (I want nothing to do with their officials...I -would- like to see them partner with some things though)

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

FuzzySkinner posted:

This is pretty disgraceful and sad.

Definitely sad to see and I'll definitely be attending that race next month :smith:

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Tell USAC that it's not 1956 any more and that the engines go in the back. Then we can talk.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Also, why are there so many junior open wheel road racing series in America that all seem to cannibalise each other? I mean, there’s the Road To Indy stuff, there’s the 3 different series run by Formula Race Promotions, there’s Formula 4 US & now Formula 3 Americas is running on the bill this weekend. They had a maximum car count of SIX last season. Like, why bother?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

dsriggs posted:

Tell USAC that it's not 1956 any more and that the engines go in the back. Then we can talk.

Them not allowing that pretty much killed IndyCar as a national touring series long before the words "Jeff Gordon" were ever uttered by a human being.

They are really not a well-run sanctioning body in that realm.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 3, 2019

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

dsriggs posted:

Also, why are there so many junior open wheel road racing series in America that all seem to cannibalise each other? I mean, there’s the Road To Indy stuff, there’s the 3 different series run by Formula Race Promotions, there’s Formula 4 US & now Formula 3 Americas is running on the bill this weekend. They had a maximum car count of SIX last season. Like, why bother?

They're aiming for different things.
In theory the RTI stuff leads to indycar while the FRP stuff leads into the either the RTI stuff or the F1 tree which is F4-F3-EuroF3-F2-F1.
It's fine to have a 6 car field if it's a junior program because your goal isn't necessarily to make money, but rather to make a US F1 WDC, or an Indycar champion (also, your money comes almost entirely from the entrants so as long as the cheques ain't bouncing you're all good).

EDIT: I should clarify, the FRP stuff is viewed as the junior formulae that makes up the steps to F4 in europe, while the Road to Indy is probably viewed with suspicion and disdain over in Europe by teams on the road to F1 who would probably require you to enter the queue in American F4 if you wanted to get a shot driving on the road to F1.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 3, 2019

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

There's a lot of crossover by the better funded drivers, like Kyle Kirkwood winning both USF2000 and F3 Americas (he was one of only 3 full time F3 entries lol) last year. Also some jumping between the ladders: SCCA F1600 to F4US to USF2000 is weirdly common.

Theris fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 4, 2019

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Honestly if I had (my insane) way?

IndyCar would continue with it's current ladder series. The only thing I would perhaps add would be some sort of way for the stars of USAC to make their way to run lights and indycar if they so desire. They would need to have a supermods program in order to be a decent training ground though...

Flipside?

I'd revive the Atlantics as the "North American" ladder to F1 (and another ladder to perhaps make IndyCar to IMSA). I'd have it sanctioned by IMSA and run with IMSA.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Kirkwood's run last year was made even more impressive by the fact that he didn't have enough money to be there, and if he crashed the car once or quit winning races he was toast.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/FollowHSRacing/status/1113829397730082822

ive got some biogas too if you know what im sayin bud

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
It's amazing what a race win will do for sponsorship :homebrew:

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
We need to figure out a way to put clandestine cigarette sponsorship back on cars.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Julian seems pretty humble and happy to be in IndyCar. Hope we can get them and Juncos to stick around.

https://racer.com/2019/04/04/dragonspeed-looking-to-build-on-st-pete-experience-at-barber/

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Juncos is probably ok with part time.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Juncos had to pull back from RTI to make the jump to IndyCar, not being full-time in IndyCar this year allowed them back into RTI with more cars (which is better IMO)

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/1113911740083916800
Truckin' & Fuckin', August 2020.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i love to both truck and gently caress, let's do this

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Alonso testing at Texas next week.

https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/alonsos-texas-indycar-test-confirmed/4364965/

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

dsriggs posted:

Sprint cars are perfect dont even try to change them, I will fight you.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

iwentdoodie posted:

Sprint cars are perfect dont even try to change them, I will fight you.

you have my axe

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Another banner day of practice for Foyt: 7 total laps between the two cars. Although at least they got a car within a second of the leader this time!

Zero Penskes in the top 9 too.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Cygni posted:

Another banner day of practice for Foyt: 7 total laps between the two cars. Although at least they got a car within a second of the leader this time!

Just saw TK and Leist riding their mopeds back to the RV lot, nearly yelled "Don't spin!" at them as they rode by

Cygni posted:

Zero Penskes in the top 9 too.

https://i.imgur.com/hd5Dt49.gifv

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KingShibby posted:

Just saw TK and Leist riding their mopeds back to the RV lot, nearly yelled "Don't spin!" at them as they rode by

TK is a loving saint :mad:

Yeah, pretty much this.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Yeah Penske has this place on lock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The preferred speed strategy at Barber seems to be throw it in the corner and counter steer out of it. Seems ok if you don’t spin (and everyone is spinning)

https://twitter.com/indy44/status/1114264849792376832?s=21