Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

FAT BATMAN posted:

Wait you can packet-hack doors?? I thought all that packet hacking was only good for sending fake PDA messages!

It's also remarkably easy with just two packets. One of "address_1" with the value being the door's ID, one of "command" with value "open"

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

There is also a command that will open or close and then bolt the doors, a bit like a reversable emag with extra steps.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

The ideal captain is one that actively enables antags through feined incompetance. Winning the round is a job for the crew, not you. You're just the corporation appointed gamemaster.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
The multitool is your friend for learning door wires and can be printed at any General Fabricator. With it you can test each wire before cutting them. If you test a wire and the door bolts drop, you can test the same wire again to raise the bolts. If I recall correctly, testing a third time will drop them permanently. Once you find a wire that makes the test light turn on/off, pull out the wirecutters and snip it. The wire colors are the same for each door in that round, allowing you quick knowledge of which ones to snip when causing havoc acquiring access.

Also, wear insulated gloves. Always wear insulated gloves.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Dont Touch ME posted:

The ideal captain is one that actively enables antags through feined incompetance. Winning the round is a job for the crew, not you. You're just the corporation appointed gamemaster.

That depends on the antag. If they're pursuing an actual gimmick or are otherwise making an effort to keep things fun or interesting, I do what I can to accommodate them. If they're just rampaging all over the place or otherwise wrecking poo poo up, then they're getting shot.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

EclecticTastes posted:

That depends on the antag. If they're pursuing an actual gimmick or are otherwise making an effort to keep things fun or interesting, I do what I can to accommodate them. If they're just rampaging all over the place or otherwise wrecking poo poo up, then they're getting shot.

As AI I generally only capture or start looking for a traitor if I catch them blatantly murdering someone or a few bodies have already been dropped without a clue as to whodunnit. Even if I DO lock them in a room, if Security's not hot-footing it over to keystone cops their way in against the suspect I'll just let'em out. Not the crew's problem, ergo, not my problem :shrug:.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Redeye Flight posted:

That maximizes the number of miserable people as it also includes yourself!

If you're smart enough to wear a full biosuit, internals, and latex gloves, the only misery you'll experience in Pathology is actually making the disease. :eng101:

This does not apply if you roll the tier 5 "electrical discharge" symptom, but if you roll that, you're better off waiting outside the station entirely.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
pathology does seem awful. its true

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
So what's the average on pathogens escaping containment because a greyshirt or Captain came stumbling in to see if something cool was being made?

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Dieting Hippo posted:

The multitool is your friend for learning door wires and can be printed at any General Fabricator. With it you can test each wire before cutting them. If you test a wire and the door bolts drop, you can test the same wire again to raise the bolts. If I recall correctly, testing a third time will drop them permanently. Once you find a wire that makes the test light turn on/off, pull out the wirecutters and snip it. The wire colors are the same for each door in that round, allowing you quick knowledge of which ones to snip when causing havoc acquiring access.

Also, wear insulated gloves. Always wear insulated gloves.

If you snip the door bolt wire, you need to pulse it with a multi tool to get them back up.

Really, there is no reason to be cutting wires to gain access, it's conspicuous and really annoying for the rest of the crew which will put a target on you. Just pulse the power, go through, crowbar it again behind you and close the panel. Unless you're busting into like, sec or the AI chamber or something like that, most people don't really give a poo poo. Or if sec sees you, of course.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
^^^^ I thought a cut bolt wire would drat a door to always have dropped bolts. Thanks!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So what's the average on pathogens escaping containment because a greyshirt or Captain came stumbling in to see if something cool was being made?

With security shutters like OSHAN? Never, you get to work in peaceful bliss.

Everywhere else? Weld the doors 'cause you're going to get someone coming in to hide out, not expecting someone to actually be in Pathology.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

As long as you're not literally culturing it in a monkey/assistant in the quarantine area, pretty much zero: The pathogen has to touch or be injected into someone to spread, it doesn't just splash onto a table and infect the entire station. I don't think it spreads via ingest but I've never bothered testing that.

If you want to accidentally infect the station, leave a syringe/spraybottle full of it around or infect the diner patrons while loudly yelling that the diner is now a biohazard level 5 area and showing up without a full bio suit is an eventual death sentence. If you're not an antagonist, please don't do this with anything lethal because Pathology is not a quick and easy death unless you roll some of the more interesting T4/T5 symptoms.

I'll probably do up a rough and dirty guide to Pathology in the secrets thread if anyone wants.

redneck nazgul fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Apr 5, 2019

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Dont Touch ME posted:

a surprising number of traitors don't have the heart to kill you if you're endearingly/stupidly trusting enough as captain

e: or any job really. of course some will still slice your arms off with a katana and leave you to die but those are the breaks

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Apr 5, 2019

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Dieting Hippo posted:

^^^^ I thought a cut bolt wire would drat a door to always have dropped bolts. Thanks!

With security shutters like OSHAN? Never, you get to work in peaceful bliss.

Everywhere else? Weld the doors 'cause you're going to get someone coming in to hide out, not expecting someone to actually be in Pathology.

Cog2 Path also has shutters....as I am made painfully aware of every time I try to go in there.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

EclecticTastes posted:

the polite thing to do when it's the (rare!!!) occasion to get serious as the captain is to morph into the cool blue armour to show you mean business

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
If you have to ask who’s at fault, the captain is a safe bet.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

rndmnmbr posted:

I can packet-hack doors, but is there an actual tutorial on going at it with a full toolbelt and not electrifying it? FFS, I have better luck with tearing down reinforced walls than door hacking. Alternatively is there a way to add the packet sniffer/sender to my PDA if I don't come default with it?

Steal/trade/loot a pair of insulated gloves.
Find an out of the way door and pry open the panel, snip the lines until you find which one drops the bolts and note it. Go to the door you want and cut all lines but that one, prybar it open.

Alternatively: to fix the door you bolted, mend all wires and pulse the one you cut that dropped them.

Hardmode: pulsing lines will tell you what each does via subtle hints, you can probably pulse the right combo to let you in, electrify trap or disable the id scan or poo poo, but it's just easier to full disable and pry, since you need gloves to do that anyway.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

redneck nazgul posted:

If you're smart enough to wear a full biosuit, internals, and latex gloves, the only misery you'll experience in Pathology is

catching the disease by some unknown game mechanic allowing germs to exfiltrate the containment area

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

redneck nazgul posted:

As long as you're not literally culturing it in a monkey/assistant in the quarantine area, pretty much zero: The pathogen has to touch or be injected into someone to spread, it doesn't just splash onto a table and infect the entire station. I don't think it spreads via ingest but I've never bothered testing that.

If you want to accidentally infect the station, leave a syringe/spraybottle full of it around or infect the diner patrons while loudly yelling that the diner is now a biohazard level 5 area and showing up without a full bio suit is an eventual death sentence. If you're not an antagonist, please don't do this with anything lethal because Pathology is not a quick and easy death unless you roll some of the more interesting T4/T5 symptoms.

I'll probably do up a rough and dirty guide to Pathology in the secrets thread if anyone wants.

Please do. I tried messing with it a while back and was completely baffled when it came to actually getting anything to happen.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Please make the starting samples more dangerous for those of us that just wanna put them in a cup and drink them

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Dirk the Average posted:

Please do. I tried messing with it a while back and was completely baffled when it came to actually getting anything to happen.

There's a "gently caress you" gene called symptomicity that if it changed from a 1 to a 0 makes your pathogen do nothing. I think a lot of the confusion comes from this.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

My first round of SS13 was... Successful?

I made sure to pick assistant.
Immediately decided I should print myself a cargo barcode and try send myself to somewhere.
Did not realize cargo is fired through space - and lost my barcode.
Surprisingly unharmed, I ended up in the chapel where I found a lovely lawyer suit, and proceeded to the bar.
There, I decided the best course of action would be to give the barkeep my gold bar and start drinking.
After getting completely obliterated, I was dragged to medbay and patched up - only to realize I had lost my ID somewhere.
After asking fellow bargoers for help, I meandered off in search of the HOP, and somehow blundered my way there.
While waiting in line a passerby fed my some sort of pills and ran away - HOP claims they saw no such thing! But I did get a new ID card only to discover my original was inside my PDA.
After wandering back to the bar and finding it empty, I decided to try serving myself.
I had no such luck, but did find an engineering suit which I appropriated. On my way out, I was stopped only to be offered by a 'Psychotherapist' to be 'treated'. With more mystery pills...
This alleged doctor ran off after I ate all the pills at once exclaiming "You ate all of them? You're gonna die now!"
Apparently I should have waited to dose?
Stumbling around and seeing rainbows everywhere, I managed to find my way to a walrus in a shuttle pod selling more drugs, but by then my stolen suit had started to suffocate me.
My attempts to cut my way through an access door were unsuccessful and I collapsed... Only for some angel of a medic to meander by (probably visiting the drug walrus) and drag me to medbay where I was healed up. He also helpfully explained that suits need oxygen, lessons interrupted by me dropping dead for no discernible reason.
Fortunately it was but a few steps to the cloner, just in time for end of round shuttle evacuation and for another doctor to give me super strength.
Then for whatever reason people were beating each other to death aboard, and I was teleported back to the station just before docking at Central. So much for my 'escape' goal.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 7, 2019

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Pathology is duuuuuumb.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Vengarr posted:

Pathology is duuuuuumb.

You're a funny guy, I like you, I'll be sure to infect you last

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Dont Touch ME posted:

This man knows how to correctly play Captain. As well, make sure you're wearing the fanciest clothing possible and never, ever, for any reason, do anything yourself. You have AUTHORITY and LEADERSHIP and by god you will delegate everything. Actually working is for plebians.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

frodnonnag posted:

Steal/trade/loot a pair of insulated gloves.
Find an out of the way door and pry open the panel, snip the lines until you find which one drops the bolts and note it. Go to the door you want and cut all lines but that one, prybar it open.

Alternatively: to fix the door you bolted, mend all wires and pulse the one you cut that dropped them.

Hardmode: pulsing lines will tell you what each does via subtle hints, you can probably pulse the right combo to let you in, electrify trap or disable the id scan or poo poo, but it's just easier to full disable and pry, since you need gloves to do that anyway.

Better method: pulse the door wires until you see the test light go off. You now have a couple (10?) seconds to crowbar the door open, step through, and crowbar it back in place with no-one the wiser.

dylguy90 posted:

You're a funny guy, I like you, I'll be sure to infect you last

Just gives me more time to call up the CDC and invalidate all that effort.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
hot take: atmos would be worthwhile if you could make chem smoke go through the vents

it would then at least have potential for humorous non-antag fuckery in addition to antag fuckery

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

hot take: atmos would be worthwhile if you could make chem smoke go through the vents

it would then at least have potential for humorous non-antag fuckery in addition to antag fuckery

there's actually a framework for exactly this in the code but you have no idea the kind of hellish lag and destruction you'd be unleashing.

it was left 95% done for a reason.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mimesweeper posted:

there's actually a framework for exactly this in the code but you have no idea the kind of hellish lag and destruction you'd be unleashing.

...you toolboxed the coder right before they could push and commit it, didn't you? :ohdear:

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Vengarr posted:

Just gives me more time to call up the CDC and invalidate all that effort.

My friend, do you have any idea what trying to treat a plague that mutates every other time it hops in a 50+ pop round is like

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

dylguy90 posted:

My friend, do you have any idea what trying to treat a plague that mutates every other time it hops in a 50+ pop round is like

No, because I've never actually seen anyone seriously engage with pathology.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Neddy Seagoon posted:

...you toolboxed the coder right before they could push and commit it, didn't you? :ohdear:

Have you SEEN the commit comments?! Swear to God, a toolbox to the head is far from a discouragement, but in fact the only thing that makes most of them feel alive. A WORRYING number of them read like suicide notes. Even the cheerful ones. ESPECIALLY the cheerful ones.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Mimesweeper posted:

Flaming cheese smoke was a hell of a thing to witness.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PopeCrunch posted:

Have you SEEN the commit comments?! Swear to God, a toolbox to the head is far from a discouragement, but in fact the only thing that makes most of them feel alive. A WORRYING number of them read like suicide notes. Even the cheerful ones. ESPECIALLY the cheerful ones.

"Commit Note: Popecrunch left me for dead but didn't finish the job, more fool Popecrunch. Farts are now atmos-processed and can overwhelm the station's oxygen in sufficient quantity".

I actually haven't and am now morbidly curious as to where they can be seen.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

"Farts are now atmos-processed and can overwhelm the station's oxygen in sufficient quantity".

Truly the future we deserve.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

DarkDobe posted:

My first round of SS13 was... Successful?

I don't want this post to go unnoticed, because this is a great post.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Redeye Flight posted:

I don't want this post to go unnoticed, because this is a great post.

I have since gone on to:
Become a Chaplain Bartender and serve people holy water infused abominations.
Be the worst Sec ever. Highlights include strangling someone while trying to drag them. Oops?
Try my hand at sciencing and proceed to detonate Telescience several times over, then manage to possibly strand miner(s) in the void.
Catch the Cap in a generous mood, wherein her spare ID was put to good use and I was Executive HoP for a round. ID upgrades came with offers of floor pills, sadly declined, but the Chaplain that round downed an entire bottle to embark on a spirit journey. Not sure if he made it.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Vengarr posted:

No, because I've never actually seen anyone seriously engage with pathology.

Really? It's not hard, the wiki is accurate. You should give it a try if you're curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

It's a messy and ultimately disappointing in results system to make something really dangerous which is what most traitors would want to do.