Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
its worth it to get the spirit emblem skills if u get them all imo btw. but u have to get all five —- 25 spirit emblems w/ the tanto means i only run out on bosses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

scary ghost dog posted:

its worth it to get the spirit emblem skills if u get them all imo btw. but u have to get all five —- 25 spirit emblems w/ the tanto means i only run out on bosses

It is a little surprising how much further those 4 extra emblems from skills gets you

Unless you have Okinaga's Flame Vent and burn all your emblems immediately by pretending to be the Human Torch

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Thanks, didn't look up there.

So I assume the "fruit" was the serpent's heart? Should I have killed the other serpent from the dried fruit's cave as well?

I hope this isn't considered spamming, but I'm wondering if I got the "fruit" or not.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

I hope this isn't considered spamming, but I'm wondering if I got the "fruit" or not.

the hearts are the fruit and you can only kill the one snake

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

Being as vague as possible

If you have a dried fruit and a fresh fruit, you've acquired what you need

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Thanks for the responses! :D

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

DoH down, took me a dozen tries and the winning attempt, I won with 0 gourds and I couldnt actually see my health bar with how low I was. Eat poo poo!!

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Control Volume posted:

DoH down, took me a dozen tries and the winning attempt, I won with 0 gourds and I couldnt actually see my health bar with how low I was. Eat poo poo!!

just a dozen.......

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

scary ghost dog posted:

just a dozen.......

My strategy of running in a circle to the left has destroyed many a boss in less

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
DoH took me around 4 attempts.

The last one was the only attempt where I got past phase 1.

It was a lovely fight. I spent probably 15-20 minutes running around and only attacking during the safest openings. Im probably never doing it again since the reward is not really worth the frustration.

In comparison GA and its mook was quick and fun.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Apr 5, 2019

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Control Volume posted:

My strategy of running in a circle to the left has destroyed many a boss in less

drat ive been running to the right.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

WaltherFeng posted:

DoH took me around 4 attempts.

The last one was the only attempt where I got past phase 1.

It was a lovely fight. I spent probably 15-20 minutes running around and only attacking during the safest openings. Im probably never doing it again since the reward is not really worth the frustration.

In comparison GA and its mook was quick and fun.

Stay close to his less mutated leg (your left, his right), block his stomps, jump away from his perilous attacks, run away from his leaping explosion (and then grapple him when he comes back down), sprint up when he leaps away, use the Suzaku umbrella to block flame attacks, and use the Malcontent to paralyse him (only works three times, but useful for burning down his third phase when you're out of resources).

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Finally killed Great Shinobi Owl. God, what a fucker. video if anyone wants to see.

Immediately afterwards made a beeline for the Secret Ending requirements, and am now in Hirata Estate v2.
Holy poo poo, they really turned up the sheer level of "gently caress you" for this level, huh? "Here's a loneshadow that hits like a truck and summons dogs if you don't constantly keep on him!" "Here's the adds before Juzou with a pair of purple ninjas thrown in!" "Here's a Juzou you can't sneak up on, with no help, and even more obnoxious adds!" :shepicide:

Holy poo poo, gently caress this level.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

Finally killed Great Shinobi Owl. God, what a fucker. video if anyone wants to see.

Immediately afterwards made a beeline for the Secret Ending requirements, and am now in Hirata Estate v2.
Holy poo poo, they really turned up the sheer level of "gently caress you" for this level, huh? "Here's a loneshadow that hits like a truck and summons dogs if you don't constantly keep on him!" "Here's the adds before Juzou with a pair of purple ninjas thrown in!" "Here's a Juzou you can't sneak up on, with no help, and even more obnoxious adds!" :shepicide:

You can sneak up on Juzou. Just do what you likely did last time and lure away his adds (the purple guys in particular have a usefully long aggro range) before coming back for him.

jvilmi
May 29, 2004

Blaziken386 posted:

You can shuriken the ninja every time he tries to summon his doges, also works when they (and Owl) do the posture regain thing.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

jvilmi posted:

You can shuriken the ninja every time he tries to summon his doges, also works when they (and Owl) do the posture regain thing.
Yeah, but if he does it when I back off to get in a gourd, whoops, now I'm dead :shrug:

Also: using 16 shuriken each attempt eats through my emblems fast

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Blaziken386 posted:

Wow ha ha. Cutting it close there. Those bombs wouldve killed you and that back to wall was also hairy.

Im sad you didnt use mist raven tho. That tool fucks his offence really bad.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I beat Donkey Kong and Headless Kong first try through the power of spamming that fireworks button.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Blaziken386 posted:

Yeah, but if he does it when I back off to get in a gourd, whoops, now I'm dead :shrug:

Also: using 16 shuriken each attempt eats through my emblems fast

honestly u should have 999 emblems by the time u go back to hirata estates

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

If I have any advice for people just starting the game it's spend all of your money on spirit emblems as often as you possibly can. You're going to lose a ton of that early game money anyway while learning and spirit emblems go up in price to 50 sen eventually, so it's good to build a cheap backlog just in case.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Okay so I'm on the final boss atm and I have a lot of thoughts about the game mostly good some bad, gonna need to ruminate on them for a while though. But there's one thing I didn't really get so far and seeing as I'm on the final boss I figure even if it actually comes up in the ending I'm not spoiling myself meaningfully at this point. What the hell is the point of Dragonrot? I had some issues with it mechanically early in the game since, having no idea how the game would play and being used to playing all the souls games the tough way (aka no summons ever) I figured I'd do a no-resurrection run for my first playthrough. Abandoned that at Lady Butterfly once you get the +resurrection thing and I realized the game was constructed around it far more so than Souls games around summoning, sure made things a lot easier. But I digress, anyway I was mad about Dragonrot because it piled up way faster for me not using resurrections at all than most people and I thought that was trash. I still think that's stupid implementation, but since there's really no reason to do a no-resurrection run anyway that doesn't bother me much now.

Once I started resurrecting however I basically didn't get dragonrot at all. ATM I have something like 8 blood left, despite basically wasting 2 by using them ASAP when someone got dragonrot instead of throwing my head against some bosses first. And I don't understand what the point of it is any more. Is it ending-related? I know it prevents NPC-quests from progressing but between how slowly it accumulates if you play normally and resurrect, and how even if you get a handful of dragonrot-infested NPCs there's a great chance you don't have any quests going with those specific NPCs anyway it seemed pointless. Once or twice total throughout the game I ran into an NPC that was coughing and then had to do a short detour to the nearest bonfire idol to banish the rot and then return. As for Unseen Aid, the 30% base chance is so unreliable I never, ever gave a poo poo what my Unseen Aid was anyway. I spent more time worrying about my Pellet and Confetti supplies throughout the game than characters being infested.

Not only that but besides the whole thing feeling mechanically irrelevant, it's also seems totally abandoned plot-wise now. Like the early game it feels like it's gonna be thoroughly connected to the whole main Kuro storyline and immortality but by this point at the end, Dragonrot doesn't seem remotely relevant at all and I'm not sure what the point of it was WRT the story or themes of the game. Everyone seems to mostly care about immortality relating to how it changes/defines the person who is immortal themselves alone, whether they want it or want to get rid of it. I guess it might be more relevant to different endings? Eh.

Speaking of different endings, I do have another question - I missed the good ending because the immortal rice-dispenser refused to advance her storyline after I gave Kuro the rice even though I kept visiting her over and over, and then eventually I got the dragon's tear not knowing until afterwards that it locks you out of that questline. Even googling it a few days ago I didn't see any real answer for how to progress past that point in the quest. I already had both the visceras and the book from the monk temple pond given to her way earlier on. And I was really visiting her over and over any time I killed a remotely important-seeming boss or had a new dialogue with Kuro/Emma/Isshin/whoever, without any new dialogue all the way up until the dragon fight. What's the trigger for the good ending quest to actually start?

Anyway game good, I'm just sad it doesn't feel as replayable as the Souls games because I feel like I've seen basically everything the combat has to offer already.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

And thats the final boss down in 5. Did a fist pump for the final blow

loving incredible game

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Blaziken386 posted:

You know what works great?

Sneaking up and using puppet jutsu on the ninja hanging with Juzou :getin:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Guardian Ape kind of feels like something they made before they figured out how much they wanted this to be a Souls game or not.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
Took quite a few tries, but I finally beat Owl daddy 2: electric boogaloo in his Nashiville hot memory after a day of frustration. I found this round substantially harder then the first; the combos are harder/riskier to punish, which forced me into learning new ways to get hits in. Frustrating, but solid as an optional, and difficult endgame fight.

Hopped right into the Divine Dragon, which I demolished on my second try after messing up the R1 lightning reversal and getting wombo'd. Holy poo poo what a cool fight! Seriously gorgeous and an enjoyable departure from the normal Sekiro boss pace.

Then I kept the momentum rolling and plowed through burning Outskirts, easily slaying the Drunk Chonker Round 3, and blasting straight into the Demon of Hatred. This is probably a rather unpopular opinion, but DoH is easily one of my favorite bosses in the game, probably because it felt the most Soulslike. It took me some tries, but I learned and powered through.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

If I have any advice for people just starting the game it's spend all of your money on spirit emblems as often as you possibly can. You're going to lose a ton of that early game money anyway while learning and spirit emblems go up in price to 50 sen eventually, so it's good to build a cheap backlog just in case.

it was ridiculous that people didnt figure this out with bloodborne

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
how can i dodge the guardian monkey's grab attack? i always get hosed by it, should i dogdge away, or into it?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

how can i dodge the guardian monkey's grab attack? i always get hosed by it, should i dogdge away, or into it?

The ground grab can be dodged by going diagonally forwards to the right, although you may need multiple consecutive dodges.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Anyways heres the important facts about sekiro. GYOUBU RATINGS:

1. english
2. spanish
3. japanese
4. french
5. italian
distant 6. german

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Is there any way to get to the Shichimen Warrior in the dungeon once The Castle is on fire? You can't jump over to where you jump down the well since the the tree branch is gone now

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
If you need multiple dodges against GA's ground grab attack, you're almost certainly going to get caught in it, either run to his right or dodge once if you're already off centre.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The Shame Boy posted:

Is there any way to get to the Shichimen Warrior in the dungeon once The Castle is on fire? You can't jump over to where you jump down the well since the the tree branch is gone now

Theres uh, a warp right next to it.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
oh what the gently caress

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So when (mid-late game spoilers?)Ashina castle gets invaded by Owl, you can only get back to the castle through the Abandoned dungeon right? But what if you never activate those idols? Could you softlock the game?

By the way if anyone is wondering what happens if you beat the Guardian Ape the 2nd time without the Mortal blade, his twitching corpse just stays there.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

Every time lmfao

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

haha. love these

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I saw some posts mentioning that there is a second optional flashback segment. How hard is it to miss? For reference i'm currently at Mifu Village.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

I saw some posts mentioning that there is a second optional flashback segment. How hard is it to miss? For reference i'm currently at Mifu Village.

Quite easy to miss. You have to do a lot of eavesdropping on your friends after gathering the ritual materials and making the big decision atop Ashina Castle.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Welp that monkey is wrecking my poo poo
Any way to dodge that scream ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

Welp that monkey is wrecking my poo poo
Any way to dodge that scream ?