Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
It's wierd driving around socal and everything is green. Rained last night and knocked the pollen down. Washed and polymered the Jeep. Took my Fox news parents to the airport for their return trip home. Didn't even have to use my AK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

from the bad with money thread might be the most american thing i have ever seen

canyoneer posted:

"I'm my own boss! I'm my own boss!", I shriek as I give birth to a corn cob

i think this is excellent social commentary that you could write books on.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I work a yearly average of ~42 hours a week. I'm ok with not being my own boss.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

what do you guys think of AT&T vs sprint? i am currently using sprint and AT&T is a whole 10$ cheaper. plus i can actually transfer my phone number to it, unlike unfun verizon.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

I have had at&t for years and ever since I stopped paying to lease my phone I’ve been satisfied with it. My bill is like $70/mo and I get HBO.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

ElMaligno posted:

what do you guys think of AT&T vs sprint? i am currently using sprint and AT&T is a whole 10$ cheaper. plus i can actually transfer my phone number to it, unlike unfun verizon.

Not AT&T or Sprint but T-Mobile gives half off to military/vets on their unlimited plans. With a family plan it winds up being like $20 per month per line for unlimited everything, including international roaming, free Netflix, etc. Super deal.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

anyone but sprint, go with whatever doesnt have dead spots in your area

i like t-mobile but ive also had them since i had my sidekick, aka the best phones ever

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
Google Fi if you've got the phone for it, or are looking at new ones.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

pulled the trigger and did the switch. you have been good to me sprint, but 10 extra a month is 10 extra a month.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

DoktorLoken posted:

Not AT&T or Sprint but T-Mobile gives half off to military/vets on their unlimited plans. With a family plan it winds up being like $20 per month per line for unlimited everything, including international roaming, free Netflix, etc. Super deal.

Yeah T-Mobile veteran plan also comes with free solo Netflix or $3 family Netflix, and you can transfer a current account to it easily.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Lol att.

Google Fi is the way to go. Sprint never left me hanging like att did, always dropping calls and texts showing up days after they were sent.

Remember when they acquired directv and said they wouldn't raise rates? Lol.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I was in a meeting today over in joint staff and had to take a dump. In the stall next to me was a dude having a full on panic attack. As I was leaving they came out and they were a 1-star.

I would say that it's amusing watching everyone around me fall apart, but I'm sure this place is wearing on me too. I'm probably moving locations in the near future at least.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Lol att.

Google Fi is the way to go. Sprint never left me hanging like att did, always dropping calls and texts showing up days after they were sent.

Remember when they acquired directv and said they wouldn't raise rates? Lol.

I’ve had AT&T since 2009 and my phone bill now is as cheap as it’s ever been without being on a family plan. Last night it was $69.84. I get unlimited data (though it slows down after 22GB but WiFi is everywhere so that doesn’t become an issue) and my service is reliable when I’m not in my apartment building’s elevator.

And if you have DirecTV or some other cable provider you deserve to get swindled.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Vasudus posted:

I was in a meeting today over in joint staff and had to take a dump. In the stall next to me was a dude having a full on panic attack. As I was leaving they came out and they were a 1-star.

I would say that it's amusing watching everyone around me fall apart, but I'm sure this place is wearing on me too. I'm probably moving locations in the near future at least.

I'll work for you provided my desk is near a window. A crash pad outside to catch the people I throw through it daily is optional.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!
Vas you're elbow deep in healthcare policy right?

I keep reading these articles talking about all these billets/people that the DOD is getting rid of over the next few years.

It's all well and good to focus health care on 'warfighting', whatever the gently caress that is supposed to mean, but how the gently caress are we getting rid of non deployable billets? Where are people supposed to go when they're not 'warfighting'.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

colachute posted:

I’ve had AT&T since 2009 and my phone bill now is as cheap as it’s ever been without being on a family plan. Last night it was $69.84. I get unlimited data (though it slows down after 22GB but WiFi is everywhere so that doesn’t become an issue) and my service is reliable when I’m not in my apartment building’s elevator.

And if you have DirecTV or some other cable provider you deserve to get swindled.

The most I'll ever pay for google fi is $90. Most months it's around $38. Reception wherever a tower exists.

I agree on the satellite/cable provider statement at the end there.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I have no idea of Google Fi accepts 787 numbers, but I do know that Google Voice doesnt like 787 numbers.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Vasudus posted:

Come join my ad agency, Vas.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Fi sucks poo poo if you ever use your data.

It's not 2008 anymore, just make it unlimited.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
My son was looking for a controversial subject for a English paper, so far I’ve suggested:

Donald Trump: Best or Worst Human Being

Donald Trumps’s Hair: Manmade Disaster or Natural Wonder

Along with the usual topics of gun control, stem cells, etc

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Syrian Lannister posted:

My son was looking for a controversial subject for a English paper, so far I’ve suggested:

Donald Trump: Best or Worst Human Being

Donald Trumps’s Hair: Manmade Disaster or Natural Wonder

Along with the usual topics of gun control, stem cells, etc

My dad: Warcriminal or patriot?

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

ElMaligno posted:

My dad: Warcriminal or patriot?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Geizkragen posted:

Vas you're elbow deep in healthcare policy right?

I keep reading these articles talking about all these billets/people that the DOD is getting rid of over the next few years.

It's all well and good to focus health care on 'warfighting', whatever the gently caress that is supposed to mean, but how the gently caress are we getting rid of non deployable billets? Where are people supposed to go when they're not 'warfighting'.

If you're in a non-deployable medical status for a year, regardless of the reason or which entity is responsible, the new upcoming policy is to separate you from the service. That's a hard line in the sand, full stop, all-or-nothing policy change that's coming down the pipe for all services Soon(tm). So if you're injured, and the standardized expected recovery time is say 18 months, then you're gone.

Additional service-specific changes are that if you fail the new Army Combat Fitness Test (CFT) you're out, no questions asked. The justification is that the CFT is going to be MOS-specific so you're basically in the same situation as some Navy dude that fails a qualification exam.

Then there's a shitload of changes coming down the pipe for all the military treatment facilities. The Defense Health Agency is eventually going to be stood up as a command like CYBERCOM is. As it stands, NDAA FY2017 Section 702 requires all MTFs to fall under DHA jurisdiction in FY2020. There's going to be a lot of unification and elimination of duplicated efforts and it's going to be a total clusterfuck for years.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Wasabi the J posted:

Fi sucks poo poo if you ever use your data.

It's not 2008 anymore, just make it unlimited.

This is my biggest gripe with it. Kinda wish they would at the very least, let you use music streaming for free (I use Google play so I mean, come on).

Still though, service is pretty good and my bill is never more than 50 a month but usually averages 35-40. When I had TMobile it was usually 70 a month for one line.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
How? Military makes it like 30 a month for unlimited in T-Mobile. Not including phone insurance or add-ons but yeah.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
With google fi for me an my wife it always rolls in under 50 bucks, but we aren't paying for phones.

But there's so much free wifi around here the usage between us is like 300 meg on the high side

And if you go overseas they charge you data at the same rate as normal, and that is very bueno. And data is free after 6 gig so who cares

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Definitely T-Mobile if they have decent coverage in your area. The newer military discount is sweet, especially if you have more than one line (plus you get free Netflix then). I’m paying almost half what I did with ATT

You get free poo poo on T-Mobile Tuesday which is usually pretty meh, but still free. Customer service is probably the best when it comes to carriers.

They did merge with sprint or some such like a year ago? Not sure if that changed anything or is going to

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Handsome Ralph posted:

This is my biggest gripe with it. Kinda wish they would at the very least, let you use music streaming for free (I use Google play so I mean, come on).

Still though, service is pretty good and my bill is never more than 50 a month but usually averages 35-40. When I had TMobile it was usually 70 a month for one line.

That sounds like a huge improvement?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Definitely T-Mobile if they have decent coverage in your area. The newer military discount is sweet, especially if you have more than one line (plus you get free Netflix then). I’m paying almost half what I did with ATT

You get free poo poo on T-Mobile Tuesday which is usually pretty meh, but still free. Customer service is probably the best when it comes to carriers.

They did merge with sprint or some such like a year ago? Not sure if that changed anything or is going to

theyre merging soon

free mlb.tv with tmo is worth it

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

not caring here posted:

With google fi for me an my wife it always rolls in under 50 bucks, but we aren't paying for phones.

But there's so much free wifi around here the usage between us is like 300 meg on the high side

And if you go overseas they charge you data at the same rate as normal, and that is very bueno. And data is free after 6 gig so who cares

I've saved enough money in saved taxes and data/phone payment charges that I can just outright buy a new phone every 2 years and still come out ahead over AT&T or Sprint or T-Mobile. My bill with them was always somewhere between 70 and 90 USD per month, I don't think I've had a single bill with Google Fi come in over $45 with Fi in 2 years. Usually I'm around 35-$40, and that's only because I pay them $5 a month to get phone replacement insurance if I drop that fucker and it blows into a million pieces.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Thinking about dropping the replacement plan on mine because it's a Motorola and stout as gently caress. I never even put a screen protector on it, still scratch free. And I made a galaxy s4 mini last 4.5 years, so that's $5 I'll carve off my bill.

I usually just use amazon music and download what I listen to regularly (that they have, selection is kinda meh without paying $10/mo) at home over wifi and usually clip in under a gig of data from browsing the forums and checking news/weather.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Wasabi the J posted:

How? Military makes it like 30 a month for unlimited in T-Mobile. Not including phone insurance or add-ons but yeah.

Can't get a military discount if you never served in the military. Blackguypointingatbrain.jpg

Kawasaki Nun posted:

That sounds like a huge improvement?

It is? Didn't mean to come across like it's terrible or anything, just griping about the data.

Seriously my only gripe is data isn't unlimited or unlimited for music streaming, other than that Fi owns.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Oh sorry I thought it was mostly Gippers and didn't consider you hadn't served lol.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Wasabi the J posted:

Oh sorry I thought it was mostly Gippers and didn't consider you hadn't served lol.

Wow way to assume everyone is an idiot.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Wasabi the J posted:

lol it's cool.

Pros: my knees still work. No signs of crippling alcoholism. Not divorced at age 25. Not thanked for my service every time I travel.

Cons: had to pay for college. No free meals on veterans day. No VA loans for me.

Seriously I wish I could tell 22 year old me that everything would be fine even if I didn't commission despite some dipshit major telling me I'd never do anything cool or amount to anything unless I commissioned. Also helps that every time I've conversed with someone here off-site and they forget I didn't serve, the next words out of their mouth when I tell them I didn't is some variation of

"Wow, good call!"

LingcodKilla posted:

Wow way to assume everyone is an idiot.

Well I mean I still post here voluntarily...soooooo

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 5, 2019

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Handsome Ralph posted:

lol it's cool.

Pros: my knees still work. No signs of crippling alcoholism. Not divorced at age 25. Not thanked for my service every time I travel.

Cons: had to pay for college. No free meals on veterans day. No VA loans for me.

Seriously I wish I could tell 22 year old me that everything would be fine even if I didn't commission despite some dipshit major telling me I'd never do anything cool or amount to anything unless I commissioned. Also helps that every time I've conversed with someone here off-site and they forget I didn't serve, the next words out of their mouth when I tell them I didn't is some variation of

"Wow, good call!"

Well I mean I still post here voluntarily...soooooo

You think you're loving better than me because you didn't get divorced at 25?!?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Kawasaki Nun posted:

You think you're loving better than me because you didn't get divorced at 25?!?

Pfffft, man up and get divorced at 42 like a real man.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Wasabi the J posted:

I have 6 lines on a family plan and it winds up being $20/mo per line for unlimited. The data is pretty reasonable and where I live is basically T-Mobile's worst market.

quote:

theyre merging soon

They're going to have so many towers after that, and T-Mobile's coverage is already 100x better than it was 3 or 4 years ago.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 6, 2019

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

DoktorLoken posted:

I have 6 lines on a family plan and it winds up being $20/mo per line for unlimited. The data is pretty reasonable and where I live is basically T-Mobile's worst market.

They're going to have so many towers after that, and T-Mobile's coverage is already 100x better than it was 3 or 4 years ago.

Yeah but for one or two lines it's a little higher. I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!

Vasudus posted:

If you're in a non-deployable medical status for a year, regardless of the reason or which entity is responsible, the new upcoming policy is to separate you from the service. That's a hard line in the sand, full stop, all-or-nothing policy change that's coming down the pipe for all services Soon(tm). So if you're injured, and the standardized expected recovery time is say 18 months, then you're gone.

Sorry I wasn't clear: I was specifically talking about DOD getting rid of healthcare billets.

Articles like this:
Get hosed dependents who live in areas with poo poo healthcare options

Geizkragen fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 6, 2019