Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is there a joke in the poll?
This poll is closed.
Nope 12 8.16%
Nothing 10 6.80%
Sorry 18 12.24%
Bowsette 107 72.79%
Total: 147 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

In Training posted:

Playing through Binding Coil Of Bahamut with the homies for lore reasons.

coil is good

shame T7 got nerfed, now you can never experience its true glory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I loved how jazzed those characters look to be moving furniture

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

did it get nerfed beyond just unsynced levels and gear getting crazy? cause I remember doing it at 60 in early HW and you still had to do mechanics, and then later on taking a friend through coil and excitedly explaining the mechanics of T7 and She Just Died and nothing mattered

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

homeless snail posted:

did it get nerfed beyond just unsynced levels and gear getting crazy? cause I remember doing it at 60 in early HW and you still had to do mechanics, and then later on taking a friend through coil and excitedly explaining the mechanics of T7 and She Just Died and nothing mattered

yeah it got nerfed in the patch that added final coil

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
actually 2.41, not 2.4, but:

quote:

The attack power and evasion of Renaud has been reduced.
The Stone Curse status effect inflicted by Cursed Voice and Cursed Shriek has been changed to Petrification, which now lasts only 10 seconds. Furthermore, petrified players will no longer be immediately incapacitated upon taking damage.
When afflicted with Cursed Voice or Cursed Shriek, Renaud will now be petrified for 60 seconds.
Damage dealt by the ground attack Discipline has been reduced.

it's now possible to like, recover from mistakes in that fight

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
just want to jump in and say that DMC5's bloody palace mode rules and has probably elevated it to being my GOTY so far

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

FirstAidKite posted:

Neat! I hope that you'll receive contact from someone in regards to adapting it or however that works :D
Same. Soon as this next review goes through I'm gonna start pushing it\harassing folks on Twitter.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've only just barely left the tutorial area but I'll say it: Nioh is better than every FROM game except Bloodborne

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I would play it more before declaring that

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Nioh is basically the Ys of souls games

and once you're used to fast-paced combat it is so tough to go back to the molasses speed that is the norm for the genre

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Nioh good

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Nioh is very good but it's also a game that doesn't show it's major flaws up front and it's also a game that, at least for me, after awhile I just wanted to get it over with.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The 7th Guest posted:

Nioh is basically the Ys of souls games

and once you're used to fast-paced combat it is so tough to go back to the molasses speed that is the norm for the genre

slow is good the slower the better

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

axelblaze posted:

I would play it more before declaring that

That's fair. "What if Dark Souls but Diablo style loot" is such a strong hook though

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
that's the opposite of what i would ever want from a souls game

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Obviously it takes all kinds of gamers to make a world but yeah if your video game pitch was “dark Souls but also diablo loot” I’d ask you to leave my office

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Nioh doesn't do a great job of keep the loot interesting, something I hope they've improved in 2

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Pro-loving-click

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afhBFffMvZU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I didn't find the loot especially satisfying because it's the type of system where it's more about numbers going up then having anything make you feel kind powerful or different and it also gives you so much junk.

I think my take away from Nioh was that its combat was on average way better than Souls games but just about everything else is worse. That isn't to say that everything is necessarily bad and having better combat certainly ain't nothing but at least I had mixed but still positive feelings about that game

singateco
Jan 28, 2013
Honestly making loot interesting is harder than it sounds, and unless you wrote 23 pages phd essay about random items I'm not interested in your loot game

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

singateco posted:

Honestly making loot interesting is harder than it sounds, and unless you wrote 23 pages phd essay about random items I'm not interested in your loot game
here's the secret of interesting loot: numbers loving suck and procs rule

May 8, 2006

homeless snail posted:

This, and you have to be willing to let your loot noticeably improve the player rather than just dragging them back towards a baseline now and then

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
xanadu next is a good approach to making a diablo game, which is to make it look like diablo but halfway through say "no we're actually making zelda now" and make it so all of the loot is area-specific weapons that give you special abilities you can learn and stack and key items are just zelda items that let you push boxes and poo poo

singateco
Jan 28, 2013

homeless snail posted:

Honestly there's no single best way to make the loot interesting, it needs to compliment the rest of the game. Procs can be cool, but like latest WoW's azurite armour, if not done correctly, it means users gonna check third-party guide and choose actual best option (which is boring as hell). I think the surge of incremental games really highlights the fact that making a good skinner box is a craft. You can't make loot system for loots sake, You need to build satisfying progression.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Loot is never interesting. The stuff that loot enables you to do is the interesting part. And loot in a single-player game is a totally different beast because there's no real reason to "balance" it. You should be able to hit the jackpot in a single player game with better odds than actually hitting the real jackpot.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm sorry y'all but loot fuckin owns

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
GIVE ME THAT DOPAMINE

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The way that most loot systems work, common and uncommon poo poo is not even worth the time to pick up or the annoyance of cluttering up my screen. Systems with a smaller number of unique items always felt better to me

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Loot can be cool but I do like when the loot has enough modifiers to make it distinct. Like, borderlands isn't the best example here because the bazillion guns it has can all more-or-less be narrowed down to a few kinds and even then there are only a few types that matter, specifically in BL2, but I do like how for BL2 they had different aesthetics for each company's gun as well as different kinds of effects you'd notice based on the company and style and element.

I like how From Software handles their weapon loadouts because while in most of their games that are definitely weapons and armor that are outright superior, the actual gameplay behind some of them is enough to change up how the player plays and approaches each situation, and this even goes back to their King's Field titles where you may very well wanna change up what weapon you're wielding because of the kind of weapon magic it has associated with it, or changing what magic you're using because of how it works compared to other magics, simple stuff like that where your weapons provide more options for how to approach a fight.

Sometimes I just wanna see numbers go up though. A friend told me that EDF is like that, that you'll often just find absolutely stupid weapons that are a lot of fun to use even though using them basically does as much damage to your allies as it does to the enemy bugs

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Loot sucks and what I saw of Nioh in the demos was never enough to convince me that its core gameplay was strong enough to make up for how lame its loot system was.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

Loot sucks and what I saw of Nioh in the demos was never enough to convince me that its core gameplay was strong enough to make up for how lame its loot system was.

The loot sucks but the core gameplay is strong enough to make up for it.

and in the postgame it actually lets you do something with the loot instead of it just being a hassle

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Loot systems a la diablo make me mentally check out of games and Ive quit a lot of games due to it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't mind loot but it doesn't make me very excited either :geno:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/SluggoIsLit/status/1114402194634231808

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
One of the features I liked of torchlight was that I could rack up money like crazy by just sticking junk into my pet's inventory and sending them back to sell it off for me while I kept playing to find more junk to sell until I eventually head up to turn in some quests and restock and buy new equipment if I haven't found anything good in a while

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

One of the features I liked of torchlight was that I could rack up money like crazy by just sticking junk into my pet's inventory and sending them back to sell it off for me while I kept playing to find more junk to sell until I eventually head up to turn in some quests and restock and buy new equipment if I haven't found anything good in a while

I like the comparison made earlier to clickers and that's what I would want a game to do. Give me pets or minions that will collect everything automatically and toss it into a big pile of accumulating capital that I can then invest in Real Items with the click of a button

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Yeah, I feel like the best loot systems are the ones that account for all of the trash drops by factoring those into the economy in some way. Whether that's through giving you a pet to handle selling for you like with torchlight or something more accidental like in two worlds where you can just mash a bunch of the same item together until it becomes a godly version of the same item.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

bushisms.txt posted:

Who's your favorite video game character and what would they drink?

I'm pretty sure solid and liquid snake would dig the cradle to the grave, though Solid would have a taste for a blushing geisha.

Currently having the Crystal Paloma myself.

when it comes to alcohol, dragon the dragon would only drink green dragon

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Loot is awesome. Gimme 12 different affixes with descriptive item text that I need to scroll down to read. [like pirates from Hook] Loot loot, gimme the loot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup might have the best loot system I can think of but roguelikes have a pretty different system than loot simulators like diablo or borderlands